Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
S-VIDEO & PAL
Topic Started: Aug 7 2012, 02:45 AM (6,561 Views)
buddy1983
Member Avatar
Veteran
Ok i'll pick one up then cheers
Youtube

Wii U user name: Read1ngFC (thats a one and not a i)

Switch friend code SW-4595-4819-7191

UK resident

Posted Image

I'm currently playiing triangle in a reggae band. I just stand in the back and Ting
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Highlander
Member Avatar
Scottish Member
Well worth it, i've tried it on a few games now and it really smooths out the hazy/pixellated stuff
Posted ImagePAL Collection No.2 148/243Posted Image

PM me to get added to the N64 Forever Members Map

buddy1983
Member Avatar
Veteran
do you use a HDTV or CRT?
Youtube

UK resident

Posted Image

I'm currently playiing triangle in a reggae band. I just stand in the back and Ting

Highlander
Member Avatar
Scottish Member
CRT, i'm poor remember ! :lol:
Edited by Highlander, Feb 20 2013, 10:51 AM.

buddy1983
Member Avatar
Veteran
Wonder if it will make a difference on my LCD
Youtube

UK resident

Posted Image

crualfoxhound
Member Avatar
Hi all.

I tried consolegoods for the modded s video pal n64 lead
Thay out of stock.

Im hoping someone could sell me 1 or trade for pal n64 games carts .

I just bought a eur pal n64 model gray console with yellow-white-red av connectors.
The picture was horrible on my 24" lcd hd tv. Very grainy picture with weird missing scanlines between objects and gfx artifacts between objects.

I also bought a av2hdmi converter. Works great on upscaling but due to crappy av lead.
The picture got the same issues. Just upscaled.

So please can someone help me out.
Most appreciated
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7Jm8H8MXqYniwANpJbWOLg

Highlander
Member Avatar
Scottish Member
I pm'd you fox.

I think console goods just make small batches as required, I had to wait a few weeks from my enquiry to actually be able to buy them but they will let you know when they have them if you ask.

crualfoxhound
Member Avatar
I had my modded svideo cable from consolegoods today.
Very nice quality on lcd tv. Makes a huge differents over the yellow-white-red leads.
Only took a 2 days for delivery.

crualfoxhound
Member Avatar
Also with the modded svideo pal cable. I needed the 3 av-svideo scart adaptor.
Remember to plug all 3 colour leads in aswell as svideo.

Tip
if when u knock on console and see some screen tearing on games.
Just switch the from out to in on adaptor then switch bk to normal.

Fixes screen tearing.

davyK
Member Avatar
Established Member

I've been using an s-video cable for my PAL N64 for some time now - consolegoods supplied. They supply specific PAL ones that prevent colour bleed. It makes a huge difference as far as I'm concerned - cleans up a lot of blur and works just fine on an LCD too (I use a 32" Sony Bravia).

If anything you swap blur for some jaggies which is the unavoidable price of more clarity with consoles of that age - but it really depends a lot on the game - some benefit more than others.

Edited by davyK, Jul 31 2013, 09:36 AM.

Welshbie
crualfoxhound
Jul 30 2013, 01:46 AM
Also with the modded svideo pal cable. I needed the 3 av-svideo scart adaptor.
Remember to plug all 3 colour leads in aswell as svideo.

Tip
if when u knock on console and see some screen tearing on games.
Just switch the from out to in on adaptor then switch bk to normal.

Fixes screen tearing.
Be wary of some of these S-video/ 3 RCA to Scart adapters, they actually don't give you much better picture quality than 'compoSHITE'. Maybe they're fakes, or maybe the connectors don't fit properly into some sets, who knows?

Problem is, most CRTs don't have S-video inputs in Europe. >.>

I circumvented this by simply plugging the modified PAL cable into a Panasonic DVD-R player which outputs to RGB scart on one of the AV channels. I don't think it actually up-scales the signal to RGB, but daaaaang, it still looks nice on my old TV. ^^
Sorry to double-post, but this guy's got me concerned. Is any of this true?

http://www.micro-64.com/features/svideo.shtml

Or is it simply one of those "Your mileage may vary" cases with said cables and TVs in question?

Virtually all of the cables, including the modified ones, come with the yellow video compoSHITE wire...
Edited by Welshbie, Aug 3 2013, 08:18 AM.

crualfoxhound
Member Avatar
@welshbie

I'm using a 22" LCD TV.
The tearing is due to hi resolution TV.
But by switching the input to output and back
Corrects the tearing issue.

The svideo pal modded lead and svideo/av adaptor are both from consolegoods.
Edited by crualfoxhound, Aug 5 2013, 08:28 AM.

Welshbie
@crualfoxhound, tried that. Doesn't work. The adapter I have works just fine with my SNES, but mixes with the N64 as well as oil and water.

My TVs just a CRT, its not ancient, but nothing space age either, yet I occasionally get white horizontal lines flickering once in a while with my N64, so its definitely a screen tearing issue. The only question is, how do I make it stop?

Its most likely the Panasonic DVD recorder I use... my TV has no S-video inputs and it hates every adapter I try. What should I do?

Z890
Established Member
Heres a quote from the s video wikipedia page:

Carrying the color information as one signal means that the color has to be encoded in some way, typically in accordance with NTSC, PAL, or SECAM, depending on the applicable local standard. The S-Video chrominance signals with these encodings are decidedly different. Thus, for full compatibility, the connected devices not only have to be S-Video compatible, but also compatible in color encoding.

You are likely correct that its the dvd recorder issue....For tvs to display s video correctly they have to decode the signal...if they dont do this correct then the image isnt so great.....I think getting a tv that itselfhas s video actually built in should solve the issue if its not due to external interference.....

CRTs are about 10 pounds now on ebay, so why not try?
Edited by Z890, Aug 5 2013, 04:10 PM.

Welshbie
@Z890, that's a final resort for me, though one that is getting increasingly inevitable at this point. I'm really attached to my old TV, it plays SNES and GameCube games fantastically. Its just a shame it won't get along with my beloved N64.

I'm going to see if I can resolve the s-video to RGB scart issue first before parting with it. :(

davyK
Member Avatar
Established Member

Just checked over at console goods....PAL s-video cables are in stock for 9.99

plushpile
Member Avatar
Established Member
Does anyone have any pictures of the improvement the S-Video cable makes?
Particularly interested in the improvement on an LCD screen - S-Video wasn't common on CRTs in Australia.

davyK
Member Avatar
Established Member
Have you got SCART in Aus? My Bravia has no s-video so I use an s-video to SCART adaptor and it works fine.

Z890
Established Member
If you have a grey console, going to s video makes a big difference. s video is much sharper.

If you have a coloured console (most coloured consoles), the composite and s video look virtually the same. S video has less 'interference' when looking close up, but detail is just as sharp in both cases.

plushpile
Member Avatar
Established Member
davyK
Aug 12 2013, 07:35 AM
Have you got SCART in Aus? My Bravia has no s-video so I use an s-video to SCART adaptor and it works fine.
Nah, no SCART - would be nice if we did.

Panda
Member Avatar
Established Member
Progress is being made on a DVI/HDMI converter, looks good.

http://retroactive.be/tech_n64_hdmi.php
Wii U Network ID: Esines

buddy1983
Member Avatar
Veteran
Cant wait for this to be ready I just hope on of our modders on here would be willing to do it for me. My soldering is rubbish
Youtube

UK resident

Posted Image

Panda
Member Avatar
Established Member
My soldering skills aren't perfect either, but I'm going to give it a try when it comes out.
Wii U Network ID: Esines

buddy1983
Member Avatar
Veteran
I always destroy anything I try to solder, more than happy to send it to someone who is more apt
Youtube

UK resident

Posted Image

darkado
Member Avatar
RISE FROM YOUR GRAVE :)

Sorry for necrobumping this guys but I didn't want to derail the ''Do funtastic have better picture'' thread.
As I said there, my pal charcoal (FRA RGB moddable one) does not work with consolegoods svideo cable, nor does clear blue. The only one that does is ice blue.
That being said, I'm playing on a Sony PVM and svideo does look noticeably better and just a smidge darker than composite from that same cable. The only issue is a weird noise that seems to move diagonally across the screen so even if I get better picture overall I prefer using composite cause it gives me more consistent results. The noise robs the details of some game elements like Goemon's hair and it's driving me crazy. My guess is that the cable is not shielded well enough cause I tried unplugging literally everything in that room except the PVM and N64 and nothing changed, so it's not external interference.

Any guesses? Should I talk to Rob from consolegoods?

Spooky
Hey just saw this post. I used to use S Video cable from Robs at console goods on an HD TV Mind. Worked fine although I had to wiggle the scart block sometimes as I'd get a black and white picture. You could always check the pins with a multimeter for continuity. Have you tried the system on another screen? Why don't you mod your 64 with Tims N64Rgb board? That's what I use now and the difference in quality is quite noticeable. Better than composite and S Video put together.

« Previous Topic · Modding, Repairs & Custom Projects · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: