Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
1000 Member N64 Story; Post your favourite memory with a N64.
Topic Started: Oct 21 2012, 09:36 PM (1,737 Views)
lithium017
Member Avatar
Is Now Posting With Power
:mario: :n64: 1000 Members :n64: :mario:

In celebration of hitting 1000 members, I have a promotional contest. I am asking to hear your favorite N64 memory and / or moment. This can be an experience with a game, an experience with friends, a collecting moment, buying the console / game, etc. I am giving away a free Mario T-Shirt and 2 Toad figurines (new).

Here is a video of the shirt + Toad figurines:

Nintendo 64 Forever Promotional Contest Video

Here are the rules:

1) Be an active member of this website
2) Have at least 20 legitimate postings on this forum (ie. "This is cool." or "Awesome!" do not count - actually contribute something in your posts!)
3) Post your unique N64 story in this thread
4) Only 1 post per member will be entered. Your first post in this topic will be your entry.
5) The winner will be chosen randomly in a video I will post on Youtube from the entry pool
6) Contest is closed on October 31st, Midnight (Central) on this website

Moderators and Admin are welcome to share their story, but sadly can not win the prize.

Go N64 Fans and Collectors! :n64:

Edited by lithium017, Oct 23 2012, 09:24 PM.
Click For Nintendo Collecting Youtube Page

N64 Consoles: 16 / 16 N64 Controllers 29 / 30 N64 Accessories: 8 / 10
NES: 32 --- SNES: 133 --- N64: 64 --- Gamecube: 78--- Wii: 75 --- WiiU: 14
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

SicCooper
Member Avatar
Veteran
My favorite memory is from when I was a child, I was probably about 10 years old, and I was playing Super Mario 64. I got to the very first bowser in the first room of the castle, and I was super excited. I thought that I was already at the end of the game, little did I know that I had barely started. It took me a couple weeks at least to get to that Bowser after first playing the game. I had my dad and a friend watching me play and it was just such an awesome feeling. I will definitely never forget it.

Thanks Lithium for holding this contest :) It's very awesome of you!

Posted Image

scooter77
Member Avatar
New Zealand Member
I like this contest lithium, cool idea, i look forward to reading other peoples entries. :)

My favorite memory on the greatness that is :n64: was with my mates, most of us had PS1's but one of my mates decided to go a different route to everyone else and get an N64, at the time we couldnt understand why, for gods sake it used cartridges LOL, but that all changed when he got a copy of goldeneye and four controllers, we would all go round and spend hours playing that game, and to this day i still feel Goldeneye is the GREATEST multi player game of all time, and its Goldeneyes fault why i started to collect N64 so many years later, i wanted to relive my youth and get an N64, Goldeneye and four controllers, the rest is now history.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
-Albert Einstein

PAL Collection: 243/243
NTSC-U only Exclusives: 50/50
NTSC-U / NTSC-J Exclusives: 11/11
NTSC-J only Exclusives: 85/85
64dd 0/9

Only 9 to go.

Vekoma64
Member Avatar
I had been a big Nintendo fan for many years and was still into my SNES. I walked into a newsagent and saw Nintendo magazines showing off the N64. I went home and told my mother because there was only a few days until launch. We had no luck finding any where local that had stock. On launch day she was still phoning stores up because I kept throwing tantrums. We found one in ToysRus Dundee, about 45 miles away. They put it aside and we had to take the bus because my mother did not drive. I ran to video game section and noticed a pod, some bloke was badly trying to kill the Bobomb King. I was so close the pod the guy felt inclined to move. I recall grabbing the controller and thinking wow. I knew then that I would love this console forever. My mother paid 249.99, Mario 64 at 59.99 and 19.99 for a Spook Controller Pak. My mother gave me the machine and hugged it all the way home with a big smile on my face. It took 6 hours in total for me to get and get back home, the best tantrum ever! :blasphemy bat:
Edited by Vekoma64, Oct 22 2012, 05:45 AM.
Nintendo gaming since 1989 WiiU NNID- Vekoma64

Xephyrian
Member Avatar
Master Chief of the Universe
Congrats to all 1000 members! :D

A couple months ago two of my younger cousins came over. They and my little brother were playing Super Smash Bros Brawl on my cousin's Wii. I told them I had this much better game console, and then I broke out the N64. I showed them the original Super Smash Bros and they decided they wanted to play. I played a couple games with them and they loved it. I came back a couple hours later and they were still playing SSB and having a blast. After that the entire week consisted of several hours of SSB and Mario Party for all of us. They didn't even touch the Wii after that. That was such a great gaming marathon and now there are three more 12 year old N64 fans. :D
Posted Image

Purtle
Member Avatar
I thought about sharing one story, but really the N64 has done so much for me I'd rather give a synopsis of things. The n64 has brought me endless joy and fun. It was basically my first console and I played it constantly. My staple game being SSB. I have become extremely proficient at it and other N64 games (Mario Party 2/3 and Pokemon Stadium Mini Games come to mind). I've "ruined" many game sessions which I feel bad about, but that's just how it goes I suppose. I even got into the competitive SSB scene a bit and play online. I've uploaded numerous videos to my youtube account and continue to do so. The n64 even led me to doing Gaming Marathons for charity, and of course, collecting. The n64 has changed my life in more ways than I could have imagined and I don't see a console affecting my life as much for as long as I live. I can't wait for the new adventures that the n64 will bring me on, as there are many more games I haven't played. This will forever be my favorite system.

Check out My youtube channel

http://www.youtube.com/user/Purtle28PatrickSSB

Cabanon
Elite
ok i got a question. why do you guys dont count retired members ? am I missing something or are we at 1065+ members already ?

Xephyrian
Member Avatar
Those are members that have had their accounts deactivated. Technically there have been 1054 accounts created but 54 have been deleted. You can see the total number of existing accounts at the bottom of the home page.
Edited by Xephyrian, Oct 22 2012, 08:59 AM.
Posted Image

Cabanon
Elite
ah thanks. that explains alot !

jonebone
Member Avatar
Cool idea for a thread. I'll nominate a short little story about Goldeneye 007.

Goldeneye 007 was perhaps the most fun I've ever had on a multiplayer game. Internet gaming is fun, but nothing beats playing with your best friends on a 4-player split screen.

We played that game so much we had our own lingo. Examples:

"Fire Alarm!" - Someone put a proximity mine on the Facility Stairway ceiling.
"Kmart Gun" - DD44 Dostovei (sp?)
"Taking a Leak" - Meet me at Facility Bathroom
etc.

And Goldeneye featured the most abused excuse in multiplayer history "I don't have a gun / I'm unarmed". Most games spawn you with a gun but 007 didn't. I was usually compassionate and let my friends go... but of course they never returned the favor. So much fun, such a great game.

DeeMoney
Member Avatar
Outback Adventurer
My first memory of the :n64: was back on release day. My friend bought it and we thought that this was possibly the greatest console in existence. He got mario 64 and Goldeneye. We played those games to death for months on end until I was able to get my own. My brothers and i would hook up 4 controllers and endlessly play Goldeneye, mostly in the facility level. To this day, everytime i turn on my :n64: I am taken back to the 90's and enjoy playing those classic games that entertained me as a kid all those years ago. :yeah:
Nintendo Network ID - DeeMoney19
PSN Network ID - hallxx81xx
Xbox Live Gamertag - DeeMoney 2K19

Posted Image

i8ablueskittle
and it tasted good...
Wow, I'm gunna have a fun time reading all these stories!
My story is more of a generalization of my entire childhood! haha.
The N64 was THE FIRST console I've ever had! My brother received the n64 as a present for his 6th birthday. Him and I played Nonstop through nearly that whole summer. Our parents were constantly angry with us because we just couldn't get away from it. I remember ours friends would come over and we would all accuse eachother of being "addicted" to n64. My brother and I have finished OOT and DK64 as well as starfox 64 countless times, and im sure many more to come. To this day, If i have a bad day or am sick at home from work, n64 consumes me and brings me back to all those amazing gaming frenzies I had with so many friends as a child. I guess i'll always be "addicted" to the N64 :n64: :n64: :n64:
-ty
Forever searching for 1080 Snowboarding and 1080 Avalanche items.
Love N64 Prototypes and Unreleased games.
PM me or email me at i8ablueskittle@gmail.com

quagga
Member Avatar
ASDFGHJKL
best memory i got from the n64

was the time i played pokemon stadium
when i was in the finals battling mew i lost to that trainer so many times
that game was hell until i got so lucky that my pokemon used ice beam and mew was FROZEN!
i dont remember what pokemon it was it has been awhile and so once mew got frozen i won the tournament
on the hardest difficulty and got mew!

god i think ever since pokemon stadium 1 and 2 i understand the pokemon game more than i started out
i had to edumakate myself on playing pokemon man that game is still awesome even to this day

The Red Shadow
Member Avatar
The Seeker
I've told this story before somewhere on the internet but it is always the first thing I think of when it comes to the N64. In the late 90s, as the release of Ocarina of Time drew nearer and nearer, the advertising was pretty widespread. One day, I was perusing a copy of some high profile gaming publication of the time and came across a major advert for OoT and I was instantly poring over it with a fine toothed comb. One of the bullet points for the game was that the in-game world was SO big that it would literally take you days to traverse from one end of it to the other. I was so in awe of that thought that I just about crapped myself. I took it to mean actual real-time days! It wouldn't be until I owned the game that I realized they meant in-game days, but I still loved the game and I remain blown away by the depth and size of it to this day. Too bad I was so dang naive back then. X_D

TNT737373
Member Avatar
Veteran
Fridays in the 3rd grade I used to take my copy of the original Super Smash Brothers to school, I'd hide it in my desk all day, then at 3:15pm when that bell rang... oh gloria the battles began baby. haha. I'd take a different bus over to a friend's house and we'd pop that sucker in the N64 before our backpacks were off. Item switch went berserk. Motion sensor bombs, hammers, and Bob-ombs only with appearance very high. Other local kids would join in, they brought controllers over in their lunchboxes. 4-player free-for-all on top of the Great Fox @ Corneria, EXPLOSIONS EVERYWHERE. YELLING ALL AROUND. Phenomenal.

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
During the holidays season of 1997 my local Blockbuster Video had replaced Super Mario 64 in the promotional kiosk with Mario Kart 64. As some of you may be aware MK64 is my favorite game on the N64 having spent literally hundreds if not thousands of hours playing it with friends. I was in Blockbuster browsing around Christmas time because N64 games were still rather pricey back then so I tended to rent before committing to a purchase.

There was a hardcore gamer looking guy of about 19 years old playing Mario Kart 64 and I could tell he had some skills because he was pulling off mini-turbos around just about every corner. He must have noticed me watching him because he arrogantly mentioned that MK64 was also a multiplayer game and would I like to race against him. I hesitated for just a brief moment but instinct got the better of me and before I knew it I had controller 2 clutched tightly in my hands and I was counter-picking Wario to his choice of Donkey Kong. I guess in the heady moments leading up to our race I reckoned he'd try to bump me off the track if I picked a lighter yet more forgiving character like Toad or Yoshi. I let him pick the track and engine size for our Versus bout; he showed absolutely no mercy by picking Royal Raceway and 150cc so immediately I knew this guy meant business.

We both got the turbo at the start of the race which seemed to take my opponent by surprise and I felt him hesitate ever so slightly as we approached the first turn. He compounded his error further by not getting a full mini-turbo which allowed me to pull ahead as we made our way down to the edge of the lake which rests tranquilly at the center of the track. As luck would have it I had picked up a single banana as my item and I opted to gamble by dropping it at the bend rather than dragging it behind me. My gambit paid off as I heard DK squeal in distress as he spun out of control and in to the lake. Within ten seconds of the start of the race my opponent standing next to me was already grumbling under his breath. He was far too skilled and hardened a warrior to admit defeat so early as he knew that Mario Kart 64 offers up a wicked level of handicap advantage to those who fall behind and sure enough his next trip through an item box rewarded him with a deadly red shell. By this point I had also been granted a practical implement, given the fact that I was in first place, in the form of a green shell and this time I wisely chose to drag it behind me for defense. Yeah, this guy was quite the tactician as he showed the patience to wait until I was on the other side of the ramp and in the S-turn before launching his homing shell but to no avail as it harmlessly hit the green shell I had in tow.

By this point a small crowd had gathered behind us to take in the spectacle. I never dared look back at them as I knew a victory would take every ounce of concentration I could muster but I was aware of the spectators at a subconscious level. Besides, they occasionally made their presence known by the guttural gasps they made whenever they sensed a possible lead change.

Royal Race way is a very long track and we did jockey for position several times as the slightest error on either of our behalves would cost us the lead. It became apparent the winner of this race wasn't going to be the person with the better driving ability but the challenger with the sharper mind and an edge in luck. Much luck was needed too as Versus also ramps up the excitement by placing yellow bombs on the track which can be and often are game-changers if one errantly collides with them.

On that day chance was on my side as I was able to lay down a suppressing field of bananas near the end of the track. In fact, there were so many bananas strewn about that we both started to slide on them as we headed down the homestretch. My victory was assured only because I was able to pull myself out of the slide by a deft tap of the brake and regain just enough control to stay on the course. As I did the half dozen or so people watching erupted in to a roar with some of them even stepping up to pat me on the back.

Yeah... that was a moment that I'll never forget and part of the reason why the N64 will always hold a special place in my heart. :wub:
"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." - Arthur Schopenhauer

Posted Image

TNT737373
Member Avatar
Veteran
Grizzmeister
Oct 23 2012, 10:31 AM
..that was a moment that I'll never forget..
Me neither, what a badass story Grizz! You set up some real tension there throughout the course of the story. I kept reading faster and faster near the end, loved it. Anybody's who's played another owner of Mario Kart 64, truly understands the sheer intensity of what went down at that Blockbuster kiosk. lol. To hell with my beloved memory, ha I nominate Grizz and offer my word count to cover his lengthy tale. We can do that right? :rollseyes:
Edited by TNT737373, Oct 23 2012, 11:19 AM.

lithium017
Member Avatar
Grizzmeister
Oct 23 2012, 10:31 AM
Yeah... that was a moment that I'll never forget and part of the reason why the N64 will always hold a special place in my heart. :wub:
Awesome story Grizz! Love the tap of the brake for the win! I asked the word count to be 200 words; your story is amazing though. Can you re-post it as a 200 word summary for the competition? Thanks for sharing it!

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
Thanks for the nice comments guys but I have so many wonderful N64 stories that I can easily whip together something with 200 words or less.

My Mario Kart 64 story got a little long but I felt compelled to share it in its entirety so that's what happened there. :lol:
"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." - Arthur Schopenhauer

Posted Image

stinger9142
Member Avatar
Endure and survive...
I am enjoying all these stories. Though I cannot enter the contest, I will still share a story.

Goldeneye was always a favorite of me and my friends. My friend, Sedrick, was always the top dog, with me a close 2nd. He used to lean down to chop his fallen foes for fun. His actions led to him getting popped in the back by me often. When I saw him kill another player, I would head the back way to his location for a chance to take him on by suprise during his victory chop. Good stuff. I miss those days. I called myself "the judge", and often said "guilty" while taking someone down. Stupid, but fun. Anyhow, that is the first thing that comes to mind for me.

Xephyrian
Member Avatar
Wow Grizz, that was quite an exceptional story. You definitely have a knack for writing. I think you should win this contest :yeah:
Posted Image

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
Gooman130
Oct 23 2012, 05:07 PM
Wow Grizz, that was quite an exceptional story. You definitely have a knack for writing. I think you should win this contest :yeah:
Thank you so much for your kind words! That's a story that I've been meaning to share for years but never got around to it. I'm glad an opportunity that properly inspired me finally presented itself.

Not all of my best N64 memories revolve around nostalgia, however. One of my fondest F-Zero X experiences happened fairly recently in late 2009 and I just had an epic Killer Instinct Gold match the other evening when my friend Jonathan spent the night.

My coolest collecting memory is definitely when I got my copy of Clayfighter Sculptor's Cut at a local used bookstore for just five dollars. :w00t: So yeah... I've got tons more stuff to share.

Posted Image

lithium017
Member Avatar
Well lets keep the stories coming! Feel free to share more than one, and definitely feel free to go over the 200 word limit. I think the limit was maybe a silly idea, especially considering the quality of Grizz's story.

Also please note that everyone who enters a story will be in the running to win the contest - a winner will be selected randomly from a hat!
Edited by lithium017, Oct 23 2012, 09:25 PM.

Mumbo
Member Avatar
I'm a new member and don't qualify for the post count but I'd like to share one of my favourite memories anyway :)

I got my n64 for Christmas 1997 as a family present with Pilotwings. We were not well off at all so this was an unbelievable present and I instantly fell in love with it. In fact, my brother and I saw it sitting under the tree the night before and sneakily unwrapped one end of the box to see if it was what we thought it was. When we saw the logo with the picture of Mario, we started jumping up and down like it was nobody's business, silently but going nuts! This is true and not inspired by "that" youtube video :) It was the start of one of the happiest periods of my life.

Anyway, my spoilt mate, who got whatever he wanted, ended up trading his PlayStation for an N64 when he realised how awesome it was. He was lucky enough to snag a Limited Edition Gold Controller console plus GoldenEye. He was also a bit of an idiot with a temper. I was at his house playing one day and he couldn't get past Caverns on 00 Agent, so he cracked the shits and smashed his controller into his CRT and broke the controller to bits. His mum went off her tree, I got sent home and then a week later I come visit him, and he's sitting there munching away on maccas in his bedroom, grinning and playing GoldenEye with his brand new red controller that his mum bought him in some sort of perverted sympathy.

He's all grown up now and can't hold down a job or a girlfriend :) hehehe
Edited by Mumbo, Oct 24 2012, 02:59 PM.

NintendoLuke99
Member Avatar
Nintendo 64 Teen Enthusiast
:n64: Hey guys im a new member and i want to post my nintendo 64 story. im only 13 years old but i do really like retro games and really dont like modern games. so heres my nintendo 64 story: the reason why i got intrested in the nintendo 64 is: well i was at a fourth of july party in 2009.(with some friends of ours) I went downstairs and i saw what my friends told me was a nintendo 64. they had 12 games and then i saw paper mario 64. i put it in and for some strange reason i knew how to control it and sorta how to play right away. i really got so addicted to this game that i played for a hour. the people were starting to get very impatient. i decided to put in another n64 game super mario 64. since they wanted to play super smash bros, they said that if i died 1 more time they would take it over again. so since i wasnt very good at video games right now i died almost immediatley >_> >_> so my mom found out and she didnt let me go to the basement for the remainder of the party :angry: so i got really intrested and eventually got a n64 as a present in christmas of 2010
Get :n64: Or Get Out! :n64: slogan
:n64: Forever!

My :n64: Collection
1 Black :n64: console
34 :n64: Games
3 Offical :n64: controllers

Spidercolt
Member Avatar
Mario Maniac
I'll post a story. When I was 4 I think I'm not really sure lol. I got a Jungle Green N64 for Christmas/Birthday because my birthday is the same day as christmas. Mom and Dad bought be Super Smash Bros, Super Mario 64, and Mario Kart 64. They were my favorite games ever! Then about a month after they decided to buy my Mario Party 1 and 2. This was before 3 was released. My parents then bought themselfs a N64 Controller so they could play Mario Party with me. This is my favorite N64 Memory because ever since that day we started playing. They still play Mario Party with me when they get the chance. Its almost like it is a Family Tradition anymore.
Get :n64: Or Get Out!

NTSC Collection: 81 Games
61 Cart Only
20 Complete In Box

GameCube: 78 Games Complete

My Collection

Nintendo Network ID: Spidercolt.

scooter77
Member Avatar
New Zealand Member
Spidercolt
Oct 29 2012, 06:34 AM
I'll post a story. When I was 4 I think I'm not really sure lol. I got a Jungle Green N64 for Christmas/Birthday because my birthday is the same day as christmas. Mom and Dad bought be Super Smash Bros, Super Mario 64, and Mario Kart 64. They were my favorite games ever! Then about a month after they decided to buy my Mario Party 1 and 2. This was before 3 was released. My parents then bought themselfs a N64 Controller so they could play Mario Party with me. This is my favorite N64 Memory because ever since that day we started playing. They still play Mario Party with me when they get the chance. Its almost like it is a Family Tradition anymore.
That must suck having your birthday on christmas day man, but must have been your parents best christmas when you were born LOL.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
-Albert Einstein

PAL Collection: 243/243
NTSC-U only Exclusives: 50/50
NTSC-U / NTSC-J Exclusives: 11/11
NTSC-J only Exclusives: 85/85
64dd 0/9

Only 9 to go.

Xephyrian
Member Avatar
Spidercolt
Oct 29 2012, 06:34 AM
That is so awesome! I really wish my parents played video games with me, or even played video games at all. I'm gonna be the awesome parent that plays video games with their children haha :D
Posted Image

bluedogrulez
Member Avatar
Racing for Fulcon Capital
@mumbo: great story and thanks for introducing this Yank to the expression "off her tree". Love it!
Switch Friend Code: SW-0786-9287-1202 (bluedogBDR)
MK8Deluxe Tourney: N64Forever.com 2332-7277-8283
Nintendo Network ID: BDR2010 / Twitter: @bluedogrulez
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

lithium017
Member Avatar
I have decided to allow members who have made 20 posts by the end of October 31st to count in the contest - that means you guys have a few more days to post the few more you need!

Mumbo I LOVE that feeling of getting the gift that makes you go nuts - and you sneaked a peak and must have been dying from anticipation!

NintendoLuke99 I really like how you were so entranced with Paper Mario right off the bat - its my favourite game of all time! Nice to see a younger, well spoken member too

Spidercolt I wanted to play video games with my parents growing up but they never would (other than the occasional golf game with my dad on the Genesis). I am jealous of your family gaming nights!

DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Gaming & General Nintendo 64 Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: