Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
The Everdrive 64 backup device
Topic Started: Oct 26 2012, 07:14 AM (2,615 Views)
Kerr Avon
Member Avatar
Since I can't get N64 emulation to work right (unlike every other machine I try to emulate), I decided to bite the bullet and buy a backup device for the N64 as that seemed the only way I was going to get to play Goldeneye X (http://s9.zetaboards.com/Nintendo_64_Forever/topic/7360057/). So I've bought an Everdrive 64, and I have to say that it's very nice indeed.

I have a PAL N64 (I'm in England), and so I bought the PAL Everdrive 64, and it not only allows me to play PAL games, but also NTSC games which is a real bonus, as it means I can play the games that were never released in this country (Sin and Punishment, Indiana Jones, Harvest Moon, etc). The Everdrive 64 is not really a backup device, as it can't back up (copy) your cartridges to a PC or storage device. All the Everdrive 64 can do is play ROM files (game files) from an SD Card, but it does this very well, and since downloading the N64 ROMs is so easy, being unable to create image files of your own cartridges isn't a problem.

When you boot up your N64 with an Everdrive 64 and SD Card, you are taken to an easy to use menu, allowing you to load any games stored on the card, or to change the game save chip type, as game saves are stored on the SD Card (but only for games that normally save to the cartridge itself - games that save to the controller pak still need a controller pak to save to). Goldeneye X v0.5a works great, and so do most of the games I've tried, from all regions.

The problem games are:

1. Banjo Tooie, which is the only game that officially does NOT work with the ED64. Typical isn't it, that if there had to be one game that didn't work with it, it would have to be one of the best games on the system, and not some really bad game that no one would miss, like Superman 64 or Carmageddon 64. Anyway, Banjo Tooie won't work, unless the ED64's software is updated to fix this incompatibility (which might happen, the software has been updated a few times already) though thankfully that doesn't matter to me as I already have the game.

2. The Super Mario 64 hacks. Really annoying this - for some technical reason the SM64 hacks will only work on emulators and not on any real N64. This isn't a problem with Everdrive 64, it's with the N64 itself, so no amount of upgraded ED64 firmware will fix the problem.

3. For some reason, a few N64 games (when loaded via the ED64) give me a blank black screen, although the music plays so the game is running correctly. When I plug the N64 into the other TV in the house, the picture (and game) works great, so it's my TV that's the problem, but I don't know why. My TV is a fairly new LCD (whereas the other is like twice the age, say six years or so old), and other than this works fine with everything (I have six consoles, a PC (laptop), Sky, plus a DVD player plugged into the TV, via a connection network that would baffle a brain surgeon, and they all work great on my TV.

If you're thinking that it's because my TV can't handle 60Hz (which was my first thought), then forget it - my XBox 360 (and the XBox 1, I think) are both set to run at 60Hz, and work fine on the TV. Plus my N64 + ED64 loads most NTSC (and therefore 60Hz) games and displays them fine. on the TV, so it's not the 60Hz refresh rate that's the problem (is it?). Could it be that the TV doesn't support strange resolutions, that these games create?

The only problem games I've found so far are:

Indiana Jones (NTSC) - black screen no matter what I do,

Goldeneye X - black screen until Bond is typing in Joanna Dark's office (just before the first menu appears). I don't get the N64 sign, or the first video (the flyby over the city).

I'm sure there were a couple of other games that either were blank for good, or just until the main menu came up, but I can't remember what they are. Almost every game I've tried works fine on the TV, though. Can anyone suggest anything I can try on my TV to fix the problem?

Anyway, even if I can't get this problem fixed (which is down to the TV, not the Everdrive 64) I'd really recommend the ED64 to anyone who wants to play Goldeneye X (to a GE/PD fanatic like me, it'd be well worth the money even if Goldeneye X was all the ED64 would run!) or to have all of their games (in effect) plugged into their N64 at once, and fully selectable by a friendly menu system. Factor in that it allows us PAL users to play non-PAL games like Sin and Punishment, and Harvest Moon 64, and also play the NTSC versions of games that had inferior PAL ports (Mario Kart 64 really does feel faster, for example, unlike the swimming-through-syrup) PAL version), and the three seconds to load a game time (brilliant!) and it really does become well worth the cost. I got mine for 108 including postage and an 8GB SD Card, from consolenostalgia at http://myworld.ebay.co.uk/consolenostalgia?_trksid=p2047675.l2559 and their service and speed was fantastic (e-mail them if they don't have any Everdrive 64's listed, as they sell out fast). For more information see:

http://krikzz.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=54

mods: please note, this isn't an advert or spam, I'm just recommending an addon for the N64, and a (fast and helpful)seller, and I'm not linking to ROMs, so I'm not breaking the TOS, as far as I know.

Warning - apparently if you try to use the Everdrive 64 with a Gameshark cheat device (or an equivalent cheat device, such as the Exploder 64, or the Equaliser), you'll brick the cheat device (stop it from working) and maybe permanently damage the ED64 too. Something to be wary of.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Vekoma64
Member Avatar
I do not know as I do not own one, although I want one really bad. Could it be a TV resolution problem.? I know some HDTV's will not play some of the lower strange resolutions. Just thinking prhaps the device on some games fiddles with the resolution slightly, just a thought. You should write a proper review though.
Edited by Vekoma64, Oct 26 2012, 08:23 AM.
Nintendo gaming since 1989 WiiU NNID- Vekoma64

Mk II
Member Avatar
Elite
Quote:

I'm not breaking the TOS, as far as I know.

no, but you are skating a bit close to the edge

Gentle reminder to everyone: software piracy is a bad thing and we don't condone or promote it here.
Dont ask for or post links to copyrighted material or you will find yourself banned.
[/mod mode]

Edited by Mk II, Oct 26 2012, 09:28 AM.
Posted Image

Kerr Avon
Member Avatar
Mk II
Oct 26 2012, 09:28 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I'm not breaking the TOS, as far as I know.

no, but you are skating a bit close to the edge

Gentle reminder to everyone: software piracy is a bad thing and we don't condone or promote it here.
Dont ask for or post links to copyrighted material or you will find yourself banned.
[/mod mode]

Yes, sorry, I didn't think. I've edited my other post (http://s9.zetaboards.com/Nintendo_64_Forever/single/?p=8114470&t=7360067) to delete the links to commercially unreleased ROMs, I won't post links to ROMs again (shows how long I've been away, that I didn't think of something so obvious as to not post ROM links on public forum).

Quote:

I do not know as I do not own one, although I want one really bad. Could it be a TV resolution problem.? I know some HDTV's will not play some of the lower strange resolutions. Just thinking prhaps the device on some games fiddles with the resolution slightly, just a thought. You should write a proper review though.

I'd really recommend it. It's very fast (the N64 boots into the load game menu, and then when you select a game it takes less than three seconds to load the game), easy to use, allows you to keep all of your games on the one cartridge (as many as will fit on one cartridge, you can fit them all on one 8GB SD Card), it stops you from having to worry about your game cartridge's battery dying (as those games write their game save data to the SD Card), it allows you to store those game saves onto your PC or Mac (ans sawp them with other people), and it allows you to use hacked ROMs (such as from http://www.goldeneyevault.com/ and http://www.romhacking.net/).

I think you can buy backup devices with more features (this one doesn't back up cartridges, for example, it can only use backups made by other devices), and I think some might even have Gameshark chea abilities built in, but this one is very cheap (as in money, not build - technically it's fine), it's half the price as the others I've seen, and it does everything I want (plays all N64 games, well, except for Banjo Tooie). If you do buy a different device, make sure it can play the largest N64 games (Conker's Bad Fur Day, and Majora's Mask), as some (early) devices didn't support more than 32MB games.

You might well be right about the resolutions causing my TV to stop displaying the N64's output, 0 it;s the nkly thing I can think of, other than the refresh rate. And the N64 is the oldest of my consoles, so probablky none of them have a resolution as low as the N64, espeically the N64 screens that do cause my TV to give up.

I will post a review of the Everdrive 64. It won't be much (there isn't much to say, as the ED64 is easy to use, and only does one thing) but I'll answer any questions I think people will have about it.

Cabanon
Elite
the other Flash Cart, 64Drive, does have the same issue with Banjo-Tooie. it's the only game so far that does not work. Jet Force Gemini was patched as far as I know and should work. it has to do with the chip used in the physical cart, not with the TV or N64 device your using.

I do not own one yet, but I will absolutely get one to preserve my cart for being out of their boxes.

Kerr Avon
Member Avatar
I've written a review as detailed as I could, for anyone curious about the Everdrive 64. It's at:

http://s9.zetaboards.com/Nintendo_64_Forever/topic/7360089/

Kerr Avon
Member Avatar
I've edited the review to add the news that someone has written a program that allows you to backup and restore controller pak gamesaves to your SD Card, which is rather useful. The review now contains details and download link.

stinger9142
Member Avatar
Endure and survive...
I have found it an interesting device since I first heard of it to say the least. I would like to have one, but of course I cannot afford one. I was oblivious to anything of this kind until about 2 months ago I guess.

Kerr Avon
Member Avatar
stinger9142
Oct 27 2012, 10:56 AM
I have found it an interesting device since I first heard of it to say the least. I would like to have one, but of course I cannot afford one. I was oblivious to anything of this kind until about 2 months ago I guess.
It is fairly expensive, but it's well worth it for not only the way it lets you play every game (be they commercial, commercial but unreleased, homebrew, or hacked) of any region, but also by the way it lets you keep every game on one cartridge (in effect) which is *so* convenient. As long as you have an Everdrive 64, and a real Banjo Tooie cartridge (since BT is the only game the Everdrive 64 cannot yet run) then you have (in effect) every N64 game ever, which is fantastic.

By the way, I've just updated my review of the Everdrive 64 to say;

"Second Edit: I've just found out that you can change the TV output setting of some ROMs using a program called Paladin, available from:

http://n64.icequake.net/mirror/64scener.parodius.com/tools.htm

Using this, I've changed my Indiana Jones file to PAL, and it now plays fine on my TV! Well, it's letterboxed*, so it's less than perfect, but at least my TV can play it, which it couldn't before (if I want to play it properly I'll have to use the other TV :-/ ). I've also tried it on the two MAME (arcade emulator) versions I've downloaded that won't ordinarily work on my TV. Thanks to Paladin, one version does now work on my TV, albeit it letterboxed, but the other one doesn't, for some reason, though I've yet to try all the settings on Paladin, so maybe I can fix the second MAME rom.

Note that Paladin is command line based, though it's very simple to use. Just type in

Paladin /p MAME.V64

for example, to convert MAME.V64 to a PAL version. Just type

Paladin

on it's own to get a complete list of command line arguments for the program.

There is a front end for Paladin available, but when I tried it it didn't work. It seemed to work, but actually didn't alter the rom files at all, and didn't throw up any error messages, so beware of that, and you might prefer to just stick to Paladin itself, as the command line usage is very simple.

One more thing is that in the Paladin instructions it warns that some games will have corrupted sound when converted, since the 50hz to 60hz (or vice versa) timing change will confuse the timing-accurate sound routines. So far, Indiana Jones when converted to PAL had crackly sound on the splash screens when booting the game, but when the game plays the sound is fine, and MAME (the version I got working) had no sound problems at all.

* Letterboxed = the screen is vertically squashed, with a block border at the top and bottom of the screen.
"

Kerr Avon
Member Avatar
I've just updated the review again, with:

"Banjo Tooie has now been hacked to work with the Everdrive 64! This means that the Everdrive 64 now works with every commercial N64 game, and every N64 program except for the unofficial Super Mario 64 new level hacks (which is down to the hacks themselves not running on real N64s, not the Everdrive 64). Unfortunately the Banjo Tooie fix is only for the NTSC version of the game, so if you have a PAL N64 then your TV has to support NTSC mode (almost all new or fairly new TVs do, at least in England). Thankfully mine does, and I can confirm that the hack works and BT now starts and plays fine on my PAL system.

To get BT working on your Everdrive 64, go to

http://www.assemblergames.com/forums/showthread.php?43143-Banjo-Tooie-(U)-NTSC-Crack-amp-Save-Fix-released-today!

and follow the instructions in post #9, that's all there is to it!

Many thanks to Jovis, Dextrose and everyone else involved, and of course KRIKzz for making the Everdrive 64 in the first place.
"

stinger9142
Member Avatar
Endure and survive...
Fascinating stuff really. Though such a device would be tempting to me if I had the money, it somehow feels wrong to me. I don't mean wrong in a "moral" sense or whatever, just wrong because I like having the real cartridge right in front of me.

Slightly un-related, but I hate "digital" games. I like actually owning the disc. I am afraid that is the way that gaming is heading though. Puts a damper on collecting for sure.

NTSCN64fanatic
Member Avatar
Established Member
Have to agree Stinger. Much as it might be appealing to have access to all the games and very convenient to not have to physically access cartridges etc there is something about physically having the cartridge that means I would not be pirating myself. I had my playstation chipped and it was great being able to get games for a couple of pounds but I still liked having the actual box etc. like looking at my collection of boxes and carts and seeing the rarer n cooler ones like paper mario and Indiana jones etc sitting in the machine. Chances are we are in the minority but personally I will keep hunting for the real deal stuff I want. Maybe one day when I feel I have everything I want I might consider one just to play all the other not so great stuff but even then, I reckon is rather find a cheap loose cart and take a punt on that than do it for free in a more convenient way :rollseyes: Goldeneye X is interesting right enough. Is like the rom back carts that get produced for stuff like mario world return to dinosaur land. Always find an actual cart n box etc more appealing even if it is illegal or fake than just emulating the Roms on a pc
Daiei hawks system wanted...Advice on how to get a mint boxed one from Japan safely appreciated!

stinger9142
Member Avatar
Endure and survive...
Yes, Goldeneye X would make it worthwhile for sure! :D

I will just say I would like to have one of these AS WELL AS a real complete N64 collection ;)

Mk II
Member Avatar
Elite
Just for the sake of clarity i'd like to point out once again that using a ROM image of a commercially released cartridge is illegal.
It doesnt even matter if you own the cartridge, circumventing the copy protection is by itself already an illegal act in most jurisdictions.
[/mod mode]

Posted Image

DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · Gaming & General Nintendo 64 Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply