Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Everdrive 64 (backup device)
Topic Started: Oct 26 2012, 02:03 PM (10,411 Views)
Kerr Avon
Member Avatar
This was going to be a quick review of the Everdrive 64 Backup device, but I've ended putting in everything I know about the device, and every relevant link I could find, in the hope that it might help someone with their queries.

The ED64 (Everdrive 64) I have is a PAL model, for my PAL N64, and is version 2, which is aparently important as V2 ED64's load faster than V1 models, and also can be updated much easier as they store their operating system files on the SD Card (which you download from http://krikzz.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=54).

I've not had it long, and haven't had much time to use it yet, but it's simple enough to use that you don't need to spend long with it, and there's an abundance of information on the 'net, if you need to find out anything. So far I've mainly played Goldeneye X v05.a (the reason I bought the ED64), but I've played some games on it (Goldeneye, Banjo Kazooie, Perfect Dark, and a load of others) and they've all loaded and ran perfectly. I've only had two problems with it, neither of which are down to the ED64, but I'll mention them in the conclusion.

What you get

What I got was a box containing the ED64 and an 8GB SD Card. The video reviews I've seen (links at the end of this review) mention an instruction manual, but I never got one. You don't really need a manual, though, as if you're familiar with the N64 (and computing in general) then there's nothing new to you, and any questions you might have are answered already on the forums at:

http://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?board=4.0

http://www.assemblergames.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?110-Everdrive-64

There is a manual available for download at http://www.ed64plus.com/?method=article_detail&id=2 but I don't know if this manual will apply fully to all ED64s, as from what I've heard several sources sell the ED64, so there might be different basic models available.

One thing worth mentioning though, is that the cartridge case of the N64 can come in different colours (I paid £5 extra so that mine was black, otherwise it would have been grey, and all but two of my N64 games are grey so I wanted a non-grey one. Before you order the ED64, ask about different colour cases if this is important to you.

Lastly, if you're thinking an 8GB card is tiny by todays standards (which it is), then you have to remember that the biggest N64 games were only 64MB, and all but three were 32MB or less (somethimes a lot less). 8GB is more than enough for all of your N64 games, even if you plan on adding lots of games you'll never play, though if you do want to use a larger card then of course that's up to you.

What does the Everdrive 64 do?

Put simply, the ED64 only does one thing; it allows you to play games from an SD Card. To do this, it reads an N64 game file from the SD Card, copies into the ED64's memory pool, then fools the N64 into thinking that the game in the ED64's memory is actually a game running from a cartridge. The ED64 intercepts game saving/loading, as long as the save/load data is sent to a circuit on the 'cartridge' - game saving/loading that uses the controller pak still use the controller pak, only games that store their saves on the cartridges will store their gamesaves on the SD Card.

The ED64 does not make the games run better or worse, or make them look better or worse, or change them in any way at all. All the ED64 does is fool the N64 into thinking it's running a cartridge of a game when in fact the game is stored on an SD Card and not a cartridge. The ED64 won't improve (or degrade) the games in any way at all. Nor does it have any Gameshark (cheat device) functions, and despite being classed as a 'back up' device, it cannot back up your game cartridges (instead you have to supply the ROM images yourself, and they are easily found via Google, but I can't post any links here as it's agaist this forum's rules to post such links).

The game images (the ROM files) can be anything, be they commercial games (Super Mario 64, Mario Kart 64, etc), hacked versions of games (such as Goldeneye X, or Perfect Dark modded to allow the single player levels to be used in multiplayer mode), or unreleased games (40 Winks), or homebrew code (http://www.64scener.com/n64-homebrew.php), the ED64 doesn't care, it fools the N64 into thinking the .z64 file is really a cartridge plugged into the N64.

Using the Everdrive 64

When you get it (assuming you get an SD Card with it) you get an SD Card with the OS (operating system) files on it, but no games. You have to put games onto the card your self, which is as easy as any other copying operations on your PC or Apple Mac. You can store the games in the 'Games' folder, or creat subfolders, or put the folders anywhere on the SD Card, as the menu loader on the ED64 allows you to navigate through the directory tree at will and load any game from anywhere on the card.

The games must be unarchived (i.e. unzipped), and I don't know if there's a specific N64 game format that's needed - every game I've tried worked fine, and I've seen no mention of different game formats, so I assume each game is just a straightforward binary file. Anyway, the files need an extension such as .z64 or .v64, so if the extension is different, name it to .z64 and try that.

If you don't buy a card with the ED64, and instead supply your own, then you'll have to format the SD Card and download the OS files and put them on the SD Card. I can't help there, but try http://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=95.msg525;topicseen#msg525 for help.

When you have the SD Card with the OS files and your game files (.z64 files) plug the card into the ED64, plug the ED64 into your N64, and turn the N64 on. Unlike some other backup devices, you don't need to plug a real game cartrdige in too, and in fact you can't - just put the SD Card into the Ed64 cartridge, then the Ed64 into the N64, and turn on the N64. If everything is working, then the N64 will boot up to it's menu, and you can use the following controls:

Up/Down - Select game,
Left/Right - switch page (if there's more than one screen (page) of games on the card),
START - load selected game (the game then loads, and acts as though it's loaded from a cartridge),
C-Up - Reload last game,
C-Down - File Functions,
L/R - Change save game types (you mostly don't need to do this, as the ED64 knows what each game uses),
A - Apply/Open folder,
B - Back,
Z - Menu.

Once the game has loaded, you may as well forget that you're using an ED64, as from then on it's exactly as though you're just using an N64 and the game cartridge of the game you're using now. There's no difference, apart from small but vital thing;

When the game saves 'to the cartridge' (as the game would do if it really was running from a cartridge) it doesn't save to the cartridge, it saves to the ED64's memory. The game save only gets written to the SD Card when you press reset on the N64, so if you 'save' the game, and turn off thr N64, then your game save is lost. If you do save the game in a game that uses cartridge based save (such as Super Mario 64, Goldeneye, or most of the N64's best games) you MUST press RESET on the N64 when you've finished playing, and not just turn the N64 off, as the sdave game isn't written to the SD Card until the N64 resets, and if you turn off the N64 before then, then the save game data is lost.

Other than that, the ED64 is almost insultingly easy to use. It really is no effort at all, it's extremely easy to use, and very user friendly. But you MUST press RESET after you finish playing a game, if that game has saved data to the cartridge, otherwise you lose that game save data.

When you reset the N64 (or turn off and on) then the ED64 menu comes up, allowing you to select a new game to load. Or (of course), you can turn off the N64, remove the ED64, and plug in a real game cartridge, though there's no reason to do this unless the game is Banjo Tooie, which is the only game you can't run from the ED64.

Compatibility

There are four games that have problems with the ED64, but these games work fine as long as you use the right version of the games, the games are:

Donkey Kong 64,
Banjo Kazooie,
Banjo Tooie
Jet Force Gemini.

To get them to work, use the following versions of the games:

Donkey Kong 64 - "Donkey Kong 64 (U) (f2).z64" or ""Donkey Kong 64 (E) (f1).z64",
Banjo Kazooie - "Banjo Kazooie (U) V1.0 [f1].z64",
Jet Force Gemini - Jet Force Gemini (E) (M4) [f1].z64" or "Jet Force Gemini (U) [f1].z64",

Do a Google search for those file names to find the working versions of the game for downloading. Note that files with "(U)" in them are American, and so work on NTSC N64s, whereas "(E)" means the European version, which is for PAL machines. From what I've read, and from my (not too extensive) experience, NTSC games run fine on my PAL N64 with an ED64, but from what I've read, not all NTSC N64s with an ED64 will run all PAL games properly. This in itself is a fantastic feature, since it allows us PAL users to play NTSC games, and the N64 plays them properly, unlike the Passport devices, which I've heard sometimes give less than perfect results.

Anyway, the versions of the three games listed above have all been hacked to support game saving using a backup device. Hopefully someday someone will either hack Banjo Tooie to work on the ED64, or alter the ED64's OS to somehow make Banjo Tooie work. For now though, Banjo Tooie is the only game you can't run on the ED64, and if you want to save in Donkey Kong 64, Banjo Kazooie, or Jet Force Gemini then you mus use the versions listed above.

And to get Banjo Tooie working, see;

http://www.assemblergames.com/forums/showthread.php?43143-Banjo-Tooie-(U)-NTSC-Crack-amp-Save-Fix-released-today

Note: You cannot use most or (probably) all Super Mario 64 game hacks. This is not the fault of the ED64, which loads them into the N64 fine, it's the fault of the hack program used to make the SM64 hack code, as this code will not work on a real N64! Aparently the bloke who wrote the SM64 editor only checked that it worked on an N64 emulator and not the real machine, and as a result the program produces code that will not run on a real N64, only on a less precise emulator. So although this is not down to ED64, still be aware that you can't run these Super Mario 64 hacks on a real N64 (with or without an ED64), you need an emulator to run them. As far as I know, every other hack for any other N64 game works fine with the ED64 (they should do, as the ED64 doesn't use or alter the code in any way, just fools the N64 into thinking

Conclusion

The Everdrive 64 is fantastic. It doesn't do much (i.e. it can't backup your cartridges, and it can't function as a Gameshark), but what it does do it does very well indeed. It's very fast (three seconds or less to load a game), very user friendly, has no stability problems (unlike the very temperamental N64 Gameshark devices, for example), and runs every N64 game except for one (Banjo Tooie). The fact that it also plays hacked games (Super Mario 64 hacked games excepted, sadly, but that's not down to the ED64) is a real bonus (and is the reason I bought mine, so I can play Goldeneye X on it), as is the fact that it allows PAL users to play US and JAP games (meaning us PAL only N64 gamers can finally play Sin and Pnunishment, Indiana Jones, Harvest Moon 64, etc). Put simply, I am very, very impressed with the Everdrive 64, and it's relatively low price (I paid £108 including postage and 8GB SD Card) was a nice surprise, as every other backup device I've seen for the N64 seemed to be about the £200 mark.

I have found two problems when using the N64, neither of which are the fault of the Everdrive 64. First is the Super Mario 64 hack problem, which is down to the hack program used to edit the game (the ROMs wont work on a real N64 even if you put them on a real cartridge). The other is that some NTSC games cause my TV screen to turn black, and nothing I can do (Until I reset the N64) appears on the TV screen. The music/game sounds still play, and if I plug the N64 into the other TV in our house then I get the full picture OK, meaning that it's the TV at fault. The problem seems to be that some NTSC games use resolutions that my PAL TV can't display, whereas the other (older...) PAL TV in our house displays them fine. This only happened on a few games - Indiana Jones is the only one I can remember that stayed black all the way through, though a few games like Stunt Racre 64, and Goldeneye X didn't show their boot screen as the TV went black but changed back on their main menus, and displayed the game fine from then on, and though there were a couple more (not games I cared about, or I'd remember them) most NTSC games ran fine on my TV.

Anyway, this is a fault of my TV, not the ED64, but I thought I'd mention it anyway, partly in case anyone has a similar problem and doesn't know the cause, but also to warn any PAL users that there might be some NTSC games/versions of games that won't display on your PAL TV.

So, pity about both the SM64 hacks, and the TV problem, but even so I'm extremely happy with the Everdrive 64, and would recommend one without hesitation to any N64 fan.

One final thing: Be aware that the Everdrive 64 cannot be used with a Gameshark or similar cheating device (i.e an Exploder 64, or an Equaliser), and and if you do try to use them together you might very well brick the Gameshark (stop it from working altogether) and maybe damage the ED64 too.

I got mine for £108 including postage and an 8GB SD Card, from consolenostalgia at http://myworld.ebay.co.uk/consolenostalgia?_trksid=p2047675.l2559 and their service and speed was fantastic (e-mail them if they don't have any Everdrive 64's listed, as they sell out fast). For more information see:

http://krikzz.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=54

Other reviews

http://www.assemblergames.com/forums/showthread.php?37542-Review-Everdrive-64-V2-English&p=564190#post564190

http://www.assemblergames.com/forums/showthread.php?34663-Review-Everdrive-64-English

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQWpbqXV3kI&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SbAy23h8d0

Edit - Late Information

An Everdrive 64 user has written a program that allows you to backup and restore controller pak gamesaves to your SD Card. This allows you to not only store your controller pak gamesaves on the SC Card (meaning that you won't lose them if the controller pak breaks or it's battery fails), but also means that you can now store the gamesaves on your PC/Mac, and swap them with other users. And it means you can use just one controller pak with as many games as you like, as you can transfer the relevent gamesaves to and from the controller pak as often as you like.

You still need a controller pak to save/load the gamesave data of course, but when the game has been saved to the controller pak you can now back the data up to the SD Card. This program also allows you to format the controller pak (clear all data from it), which is useful if the controller pak has become corrupted.

I've tried the program and it does work, but be warned that the program doesn't ask for confirmtion before doing something, so if you accidentally press C-Up then the program will format your controller pak, and you'll lose your games saves that were on there. So be very careful when using the program.

The program is also limited in that it can only backup or restore the whole controller pak at the moment, , and not individual saves. Plus it has the annoying limitation that it saves every instance of the controller pak with the meaningless (to us humans) name of mem1.pak, mem2.pak, mem3.pak, etc. It would be much more useful if it allowed the user to specifiy the name, so that we could call it things like

Duke Nukem 64 - level 8.pak
Turok 2 - Level 5.pak
Virtual Pool.pak

and so on. Still, hopefully the author will update the program, and even as it stands it's very useful indeed - but be careful when using it not to press the wrong buttont (it's menu driven so it allways shows you what buttons to press). And the bloke who makes the Everdrive 64 has said that the next OS update will include the ability to back up controller pak gamesaves, but until then you can download Mempak Tool (currently version 0.5) from:

http://www.assemblergames.com/forums/showthread.php?41396-release-Mempak-Tool-for-the-ED64

Second Edit: I've just found out that you can change the TV output setting of some ROMs using a program called Paladin, available from:

http://n64.icequake.net/mirror/64scener.parodius.com/tools.htm

Using this, I've changed my Indiana Jones file to PAL, and it now plays fine on my TV! Well, it's letterboxed*, so it's less than perfect, but at least my TV can play it, which it couldn't before (if I want to play it properly I'll have to use the other TV :-/ ). I've also tried it on the two MAME (arcade emulator) versions I've downloaded that won't ordinarily work on my TV. Thanks to Paladin, one version does now work on my TV, albeit it letterboxed, but the other one doesn't, for some reason, though I've yet to try all the settings on Paladin, so maybe I can fix the second MAME rom.

Note that Paladin is command line based, though it's very simple to use. Just type in

Paladin /p MAME.V64

for example, to convert MAME.V64 to a PAL version. Just type

Paladin

on it's own to get a complete list of command line arguments for the program.

There is a front end for Paladin available, but when I tried it it didn't work. It seemed to work, but actually didn't alter the rom files at all, and didn't throw up any error messages, so beware of that, and you might prefer to just stick to Paladin itself, as the command line usage is very simple.

One more thing is that in the Paladin instructions it warns that some games will have corrupted sound when converted, since the 50hz to 60hz (or vice versa) timing change will confuse the timing-accurate sound routines. So far, Indiana Jones when converted to PAL had crackly sound on the splash screens when booting the game, but when the game plays the sound is fine, and MAME (the version I got working) had no sound problems at all.

* Letterboxed = the screen is vertically squashed, with a block border at the top and bottom of the screen.

Third Edit: Banjo Tooie has now been hacked to work with the Everdrive 64!

This means that the Everdrive 64 now works with every commercial N64 game, and every N64 program except for the unofficial Super Mario 64 new level hacks (which is down to the hacks themselves not running on real N64s, not the Everdrive 64). Unfortunately the Banjo Tooie fix is only for the NTSC version of the game, so if you have a PAL N64 then your TV has to support NTSC mode (almost all new or fairly new TVs do, at least in England). Thankfully mine does, and I can confirm that the hack works and BT now starts and plays fine on my PAL system.

To get BT working on your Everdrive 64, go to

http://www.assemblergames.com/forums/showthread.php?43143-Banjo-Tooie-(U)-NTSC-Crack-amp-Save-Fix-released-today!

and follow the instructions in post #9, that's all there is to it!

Many thanks to Jovis, Dextrose and everyone else involved, and of course KRIKzz for making the Everdrive 64 in the first place.

Fourth Edit: Version 2.x of the Everdrive 64's operating system is now out, adding

1)Completely new OS was made from zero
2)New FPGA core
3)Faster SD interface. Now trasfer speed up to 23Mbyte/s
4)GameShark cheats.
5)IPS/APS patches support
6)Auto cheats loading.
7)Auto IPS/APS loading
8)Forcing of TV mode in the game. It may help to run some PAL games in color with NTSC system
9)New menu interface
10)Auto CRC fix. May help to run some hacked roms with bad checksum
11)Menu supports two resolutions 320x240 and 640x480. Probably will be useful for some RGB moded systems which blinks in 640x480 mode
12)New controller PAK manager
13)Controller PAK auto backup funcion
14)40 Winks works with NTSC systems in color
15)Some other minor improwments (:
16)Copying data from file to file, ringht in menu. To make some extra copy of saves, for example
17)File byte swapping. Useful for emulator save files converting
18)Menu supports analog stick

(Note: OS Is not supported with Everdrive 64 version 1, only v2 can use OS 2.x)

Also, a user called Saturnu has released an OS of his own for the Everdrive 64! This OS does work with v1 of the Everdrive 64 (and of course with v2), and has the following features;

filebrowser
sounds
gameshark cheats
mempak restore
mempak backup - with filename input screen
savetyp detection based on a cart-id list
sd speed 25/50MHz
tv-type force
save force
cic force
boot_region force
crc fix
boxart
can run gameboy games (Colnes gnuboy64 port)
can run nes games (neon64)
can play gamegear roms
can maybe play msx2 roms
mpk file view
controller pak view
toplist of best rated roms
rom rating

Both operating systems are of course free, and easily set up (just copy them to your SD Card). Note though that both OSes are still being bug tested and some features (especially Gameshark support) is not yet finished. The Gameshark function (which is the same in both OSes, as it was written by another user, Chilly Willy) as yet only supports some codes, and as yet doesn't allow the user to search manually for codes.

The official OS, v2.x;

http://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=1047.0

Saturnu's OS;

http://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=816.0

Fifth Edit: Full Gameshark code support has been added to the official ED64 operating system for the ED64 version 2/v2.5/v3*, the latest version of the OS as I write this is v2.08.

Also, some time back the version 3 Everdrive 64 was released, and version 2 was discontinued and v2.5 has now replaced the v2. Version 2.5 does everything that v2 does, and has no advantages or disadvantages for the user over v2, just a redesigned circuit board.

Regarding the version 3 ED64, I'll quote the excellent article of ED64 information at http://micro-64.com/features/everdrive64.shtml

There's [now] the Everdrive 64 Version 2.5 and the Everdrive 64 Version 3.0. Both devices are very similar and run the same OS, but the 2.5 is more like the standard model while the 3.0 is the luxury model which has a few additional and more costly features that the 2.5 does not have. As expected the 3.0 is more expensive than the 2.5. Here are the main differences between the two devices:

- 3.0 has improved Compatibility and can play two games that the 2.5 cannot. These titles are Pokemon Stadium 2* and Doubutsu No Mori.

- 3.0 has an added save battery which means saving your game progress is a little faster. When you've finished playing a Nintendo 64 game on the 3.0, you can just save, quit and power off the console exactly like you'd expect. With the 2.5 you'd save, quit, reset the console, and then once you've gotten to the Everdrive menu you can power off.

- 3.0 includes a USB port on it while 2.5 does not. The USB port is used for game development and serves no purpose otherwise.

* The version 2 and 2.5 can play Pokemon Stadium, but some non-essential graphics are corrupted, apparently (I've never played it myself). To quote from http://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=147.0

Pokemon Stadium Kin Gin / Pokémon Stadium 2 (should work on Everdrive 64 v3)
Although this game appears to work, the game will eventually run into problems due to running out of space.
ED64 is actually using the last part of rom memory for save data. So if a game is using SRAM save type the total rom memory will be 64MB minus 32kB and if it's using FLASHRAM save type, only 64MB minus 128kB rom memory is available. The whole 64MB rom memory is only available for games that's using EEPROM save type because the save data is stored in the internal memory of the ED64 FPGA when using EEPROM. This seems to be the only 64MB game that suffers from this because the others doesn't use enough space of the 64MB rom memory for a conflict to be caused. Because this is a hardware related problem it most likely can not be fixed in an OS update.
Note: The Everdrive 64 v3 has true 64MB rom memory no matter what save type is used since it will have separate ram for save data, which means that this game should work properly on v3.

Sixth Edit: Starting with OS version 2.10 (the official Operating System software of the ED64), the ED64 can now play 64DD games! Finally you can get to play the 64DD only games that are so hard to find and up until now needed an expensive and rare 64DD system to play.
Edited by Kerr Avon, Oct 8 2015, 06:21 AM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Vekoma64
Member Avatar
Great review, now I want one even more. real shame about the mario 64 hacks. Just tried star road for the first time tonight. Its no Nintendo product but plays nice and and its weird seeing like an unofficial mario 64 2. I was thinkg when playing it tonight, I would love to play this on my real N64. Makes me sad but tthat price is cheaper then I thought and after my Wiii U, I know what i am saving for.
Edited by Vekoma64, Oct 26 2012, 03:39 PM.
Nintendo gaming since 1989 WiiU NNID- Vekoma64

Kerr Avon
Member Avatar
Vekoma64
Oct 26 2012, 03:38 PM
Great review, now I want one even more. real shame about the mario 64 hacks. Just tried star road for the first time tonight. Its no Nintendo product but plays nice and and its weird seeing like an unofficial mario 64 2. I was thinkg when playing it tonight, I would love to play this on my real N64. Makes me sad but tthat price is cheaper then I thought and after my Wiii U, I know what i am saving for.
Trust me mate, it's *well* worth it if you love the N64. Just being able to play the game hacks, unreleased prototypes and games you couldn't otherwise play as they weren't released in your region makes it well worth having, but when you consider that on one cartridge you can have *every* N64 game ever made, and when you boot up/reset the N64 you get an easy to use menu to load any games you want, and that each game that writes it's saves to the cartridge now (since you are running the games from an SD Card) writes it's saves to the SD Card (which you can backup on your PC/Mac if you like) then you realise how good it is. It's definitely the best accessory I've ever had for a console, and it means I can stick my cartridges in storage somewhere and use just one cartridge (the Everdrive 64) with the N64.

When I work away from home, I sometimes take my N64 with me (or sometimes the XBox 360, but mainly the N64 as it has my favourite games) and I always used to take ten or twenty cartridges, but now I just take the N64 and the Everdrive.

Thegt550
Member Avatar
N64/ Classic Car parts Hunter
Nice review
Very detail it
STAFF WARNING ABOUT THIS MEMBER: http://s9.zetaboards.com/Nintendo_64_Forever/topic/7400206/1/
I Arthur J. Garcia
Declare that i will Help People with their problems regarding the Golden N controller
this does not apply to people who resold theirs and dint bought it from TheGt550
I will sale whats left of my collection to help.(jusco,np100,japan blue/white)

TNT737373
Member Avatar
Veteran
Kerr Avon
Dec 8 2012, 10:49 AM
I always used to take ten or twenty cartridges, but now I just take the N64 and the Everdrive.
It's too late for me to buy the Everdrive. lol I already own most of the library, definitely the best of each region. To me digging through your stacks of carts is part of the experience, it's a sensory thing. Searching through the titles brings back memories. I would like to buy their version of the SNES flashcart however, never owned it as a kid, and there's just too many games worth playing for me to buy them individually.

Kerr Avon
Member Avatar
TNT737373
Dec 14 2012, 12:55 AM
Kerr Avon
I always used to take ten or twenty cartridges, but now I just take the N64 and the Everdrive.
It's too late for me to buy the Everdrive. lol I already own most of the library, definitely the best of each region. To me digging through your stacks of carts is part of the experience, it's a sensory thing. Searching through the titles brings back memories. I would like to buy their version of the SNES flashcart however, never owned it as a kid, and there's just too many games worth playing for me to buy them individually.
I have almost all of the PAL releases myself, but I still think it's well worth if for both the non-PAL games, and also to play the unreleased games, and the game hacks. But each to their own, of course. The SNES cartridge would be great too, as the SNES has so many great games, plus you can use game hacks and translations, same with the Megadrive (Genesis), and I'm thinking of picking up a 16bit console, as emulators, though great, aren't quite the same thing.

LittleNinja
Kerr Avon
Dec 22 2012, 07:06 PM
TNT737373
Kerr Avon
I have almost all of the PAL releases myself, but I still think it's well worth if for both the non-PAL games, and also to play the unreleased games, and the game hacks. But each to their own, of course. The SNES cartridge would be great too, as the SNES has so many great games, plus you can use game hacks and translations, same with the Megadrive (Genesis), and I'm thinking of picking up a 16bit console, as emulators, though great, aren't quite the same thing.
I am new to the N64 and the ED64, and I'm thinking of getting one sometime soon. The N64 I was thinking of getting is the Japanese Limited Edition Pikachu Blue version, and I'm worried about the compatibility with the ED64 since the footprint of that version is different from other N64's.

I've seen someone from other forums saying this "The N64's internal circuitry was only revised once (for the Pikachu N64) and that was to strip out the expansion port. Apart from that there was no change to the hardware."

So question: do you know anything about this? would the different footprint and layout cause the ED64 to not work on it? Thanks!

needler420
Member Avatar
Established Member
TNT737373
Kerr Avon
Argee 100%

IMO if you're going to use a flash cart you might as well just use an emulator and spend no money as both are illegal ways to play back up of games.

I think it's a cool device for the never released games.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

macN64
Member Avatar
Kerr Avon

There is a manual available for download at http://www.ed64plus.com/?method=article_detail&id=2
Careful! That looks to be (one of the?) sites behind the knockoff ED64 plus. I've no first hand experience of either device myself, but the consensus seems to be that the ED64 plus is a "cheap" rip off of the real Everdrive 64. It's very important to tell the difference between the two devices. Don't confuse 'em!

http://www.assemblergames.com/forums/showthread.php?41793-ED64Plus-a-new-flashcart-for-the-Nintendo64
Youtube

Kerr Avon
Member Avatar
MacN64

Kerr Avon

There is a manual available for download at http://www.ed64plus.com/?method=article_detail&id=2

Careful! That looks to be (one of the?) sites behind the knockoff ED64 plus. I've no first hand experience of either device myself, but the consensus seems to be that the ED64 plus is a "cheap" rip off of the real Everdrive 64. It's very important to tell the difference between the two devices. Don't confuse 'em!

Yes, you're right. Turns out it's a badly made rip off, that has worse functionality than the original (the original is the one I review), and it needs an original game to be plugged into this rip off device, a game that has the same protection chip as the game you want to play from the SD Card. The original Everdrive 64 (and not the 'Everdrive Plus', which despite it's name is actually a step backwards from the Everdrive 64) doesn't need a game plugged in, all games run straight from the SD Card.

DON'T BUY AN EVERDRIVE PLUS, it's an inferior copy, buy the Everdrive 64, not the Everdrive Plus. Also, there's another device for playing N64 games from an SD Card, called the 64Drive, which is supposed to be great, but I've never used it so I can't comment. But STAY AWAY from the Everdrive Plus (although it's OK to download it's manual from that site, as the manual largely applies to the Everdrive 64, since the Everdrive 64 software and operating system was copied and used in the Everdrive Plus).
TNT737373
I am new to the N64 and the ED64, and I'm thinking of getting one sometime soon. The N64 I was thinking of getting is the Japanese Limited Edition Pikachu Blue version, and I'm worried about the compatibility with the ED64 since the footprint of that version is different from other N64's.

I've seen someone from other forums saying this "The N64's internal circuitry was only revised once (for the Pikachu N64) and that was to strip out the expansion port. Apart from that there was no change to the hardware."

So question: do you know anything about this? would the different footprint and layout cause the ED64 to not work on it? Thanks!

Sorry for taking so long to reply, I hadn't visited N64 Forever much. Anyway, I don't know if the ED64 will work with that N64 (though I'd be very surprised if it didn't), so I've posted the question at

http://www.assemblergames.com/forums/showthread.php?43537-Will-the-ED64-work-with-a-Japanese-Limited-Edition-Pikachu-Blue-version&p=638092#post638092

so check there for any answers. And welcome to the N64, and N64 Forever, by the way!

Edit: Someone has replied to that thread, confirming that the ED64 does work with the Pkiachu N64, with a photo showing it working.

TNT737373

IMO if you're going to use a flash cart you might as well just use an emulator and spend no money as both are illegal ways to play back up of games.

I think it's a cool device for the never released games.

I see your point, but to me emulators just don't feel the same as the real N64. Granted by using a flash cartridge you lose the feel of sorting though your original cartridges, but I can live without that. Emulation would be much more attractive to me if N64 emulators were more accurate than they are now, though, as sadly N64 emulators are nowhere near as perfect as emulators for the SNES/Megadrive (Genesis)/8 bit machines/etc. I've even heard that PS2/Gamecube/Wii emulation is closer to perfection than the N64, and certainly my experience of N64 emulation hasn' been great. Owing to a combination of lack of documentation of the N64's internals (it was notoriously difficult to program well), and the fact that programmers were willing to 'klugde' (patch) the emulators to make them run the more popular games, even on lower spec. PCs, the emulators tended to concentrate more on running a few games well on most PCs rather than overall accuracy, which was great at the time, but unfortunately as time went on and PCs became more powerful, N64 emulators weren't updated as much as they needed to become fully compatible with the rest of the N64's games. As a result, a lot of games still run badly or are glitched when run under emulation, and a few apparently won't run at all. The most popular games run more or less OK, as long as you're prepared to a short while finding out which plug-ins to use per game, but it's far from ideal.

By comparsion, the machines I do emulate (SNES/Meagdrive/arcade/Neo-Geo/Spectrum/etc) are fantastic, with no (to me) discernable difference to the real machines. Plus under emulation you get lots of advantages over a real machine (emulator allowing, I mean), such as the ability to fast forward through slow or boring parts, the ability to save and load ANYWHERE (via snapshots), the ability to play games from any region, etc. But the glitchiness of N64 emulation makes it not an option for me, sadly.

There is at least one N64 emulator being written that aims for 100% compatiblity. It's MESS (actually, MESS supports lots of machines, I'm talking about it's N64 emulation here), but it's in it's fairly early days yet, and requires a *hefty* PC that's not within reach for most people, but no doubt optimization will be applied when it's core functions are done (though of course by then the average PCs will be faster than they are now, hopefully then-average-PC and emulator will meet in the region of playable N64 speeds).

But for now, N64 emulation isn't an acceptable option for me, so I use my N64, and the ED64 just makes it more pleasurable to use, I think.
Edited by Kerr Avon, Jan 3 2013, 02:46 PM.

Vekoma64
Member Avatar
I feel the same as you in regards to emulation. I like weird games and too right many do not work. But saying that without it I would never have tried Fire Electric Pen which will not display correctly through emulation. I loved it but struggled to play so much I had to own it. My fear is that buying one of these devices now would stop me buying the real thing. Buying a Everdrive would be too easy when on a low income and then to never to buy the real games. I fear & risk losing my passion for collecting. I thought about it long and hard and will only gt one once I have what I want in my collection. If they exist then :)
Edited by Vekoma64, Jan 3 2013, 10:14 AM.
Nintendo gaming since 1989 WiiU NNID- Vekoma64

youtoo
Member Avatar
I just got one of these. I have a strong collection of PAL and JAP games, but I bought this because its convenience, and because allows me to test games that I wouldn't buy (they are decidedly bad) but I'm curious about them.
WTB
- US/UK Clear Smoke Funtastic console & controller
- CIB Nintendo 64 Gold Japanese console
- CIB Nintendo 64 Clear Smoke Japanese console
- CIB Japanese Green, Grey and Blue controller

...all in new or like-new condition :)

5star
There's everdrive and 64drive. Any others? Any way to make your own? And I seen that some games go for around $150 like clay fighter. Can you put them expensive games on a sd card to?
Edited by 5star, Feb 2 2013, 05:22 PM.
Just getting back into gaming.

Have pretty sweet cars to. A eclipse on 19s and a 2.4 5cyl volvo putting out 350hp on 20psi that sounds like a dodge viper and back fires like a machine gun.
Have a few race quads. 1 was in a mag. And a modded street bike that is the world fastest for it's brand.

justinwebb
Member Avatar
getsober
Feb 2 2013, 05:15 PM
There's everdrive and 64drive. Any others? Any way to make your own? And I seen that some games go for around $150 like clay fighter. Can you put them expensive games on a sd card to?
No you wont be able to make your own without extensive computer engineering skills and knowledge. Plus putting roms on them that you don't physically own the game for is illegal and not something to talk about in the forum.

My collection and wanted list!

5star
justinwebb
Feb 2 2013, 06:37 PM
getsober
No you wont be able to make your own without extensive computer engineering skills and knowledge. Plus putting roms on them that you don't physically own the game for is illegal and not something to talk about in the forum.
What I asked was not meant as illegal I"m confused....... :eh: I thought you load any game you want for free to the sd card and then play it. You saying stuff about illegal is totally confusing me please explain.
Edited by 5star, Feb 3 2013, 02:32 AM.

Have pretty sweet cars to. A eclipse on 19s and a 2.4 5cyl volvo putting out 350hp on 20psi that sounds like a dodge viper and back fires like a machine gun.
Have a few race quads. 1 was in a mag. And a modded street bike that is the world fastest for it's brand.

Mk II
Member Avatar
Elite
Quote:

please explain

simple... game software is protected by copyright. Dumping and/or distributing a ROM image is by itself an illegal act in most Western countries like the USA (ref. DMCA). Some people may claim that you are allowed to make backup copies of any game you own but that right is rendered moot if the software is protected/encrypted because circumventing that copy protection is also illegal.
In any case, downloading ROM images is against the law and this forum does not condone it.

Reminder for everyone: don't request or post links to ROMs. It's not only illegal but also against our and Zetaboards rules. And we do take that very seriously
Posted Image

5star
Mk II
Feb 3 2013, 04:56 AM
Quote:

please explain

simple... game software is protected by copyright. Dumping and/or distributing a ROM image is by itself an illegal act in most Western countries like the USA (ref. DMCA). Some people may claim that you are allowed to make backup copies of any game you own but that right is rendered moot if the software is protected/encrypted because circumventing that copy protection is also illegal.
In any case, downloading ROM images is against the law and this forum does not condone it.

Reminder for everyone: don't request or post links to ROMs. It's not only illegal but also against our and Zetaboards rules. And we do take that very seriously
What is ROM's? Not trying to sound stupid but idk computers as good as most of ya.

Cabanon
Elite
5star
Can you put them expensive games on a sd card to?
yes you can. you dont need to free up space on SD Card because all the N64 short library fit on a card.

stinger9142
Member Avatar
Endure and survive...
5star
Feb 3 2013, 08:16 AM
What is ROM's? Not trying to sound stupid but idk computers as good as most of ya.
From a quick google dictionary search:
1. - ROM
1) acronym for read only memory
2) a big sized file that, when loaded into a console emulator, plays a video game that's usually licensed

Short answer - ROM images, commonly called ROMS, are the image file that contain the game its' self. A ROM is what you would be putting on the everdrive to play that specific game, or loading in an emulator.

Mk II
Member Avatar
Elite
Quote:

ROM stands for Read Only Memory.
Game cartridges used so-called masked ROM chips and the binary program code of the game is "burnt in" during manufacture of those chips.
It is possible to read that chip and dump the program code to a file and such a file is usually called a "ROM file" or just ROM.
Edited by Mk II, Feb 3 2013, 10:07 AM.
Posted Image

Matt
Member Avatar
Kick, Punch, It's all in the mind
Just out of curiosity, can this thing play N64DD games as well?
Posted Image

Cabanon
Elite
no. 64dd emulation is far from being done. very slow process are being made.

Matt
Member Avatar
Kick, Punch, It's all in the mind
Cabanon
Feb 21 2013, 06:16 PM
no. 64dd emulation is far from being done. very slow process are being made.
Thanks, wasn't sure since this ran on actual hardware
Posted Image

151rby
I registered on this forum just to say that this review is great and extremely useful. I will be bookmarking it. Thank you and congratulations on providing all this excellent information.

Kerr Avon
Member Avatar
151rby
Mar 31 2013, 10:41 PM
I registered on this forum just to say that this review is great and extremely useful. I will be bookmarking it. Thank you and congratulations on providing all this excellent information.
Thank you! That's very nice of you to say. Welcome to N64 Forver, by the way.

plushpile
Member Avatar
Established Member
Realise I'm bumping an old thread here, but I just wanted to say thanks - good review and nice to have some of those links pulled together into one location

JunoMajora
well i guess so do i,but would the new fzero-x work on the Everdrive 2.0 ?

danikei
Member Avatar
Tested fzero climax on the everdrive and it works perfectly :)
Unlike supermario hacked roms that don't work...

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
How much are Everdrives going for in the U.S. nowadays and where's the best place to get one? If it's not too dear I'll probably get one just to play F-Zero X Climax.
"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." - Arthur Schopenhauer

Posted Image

Kerr Avon
Member Avatar
Try;

USA:

http://shop.retrogate.com/

http://www.stoneagegamer.com/

Great Britain:

http://www.retrotowers.co.uk/

ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Join the millions that use us for their forum communities. Create your own forum today.
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Reviews · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: