Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Samsung HDTV doesn't want to display N64?
Topic Started: Oct 28 2012, 06:47 AM (18,813 Views)
Peach'sCakeIsALie
Member Avatar
It will display my NES and SNES no problem, but I end up having to turn the tv and N64 on and off a dozen times for it to recognize the N64 signal, and then it works perfectly every time until I do something in a different resolution then I have to fight it to get it to recognize the signal again. Why is this, the NES and SNES never had this problem using A/V cables. I've tried the N64 out on a traditional tv and it works every time so it's not that it's broken.

EDIT: I get that this is a common problem with the N64 but is there any way to deal with it without getting a "new" (old) tv? I ended up using Gamecube cables, same problem.
Edited by Peach'sCakeIsALie, Oct 28 2012, 07:06 AM.
NTSC
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

sanni
Member Avatar
Do you use the standard composite AV cables or is your N64 RGB modded?
If it's not RGB modded then you should try a RGB mod and see if it's better then.

You could also buy a scaler like the XRGB-3 or Framemeister from Micomsoft. They convert the N64 signal to VGA or HDMI.
Edited by sanni, Oct 28 2012, 07:05 AM.
Posted Image

Posted Image Posted Image Posted ImagePosted Image

Peach'sCakeIsALie
Member Avatar
sanni
Oct 28 2012, 07:03 AM
Do you use the standard composite AV cables or is your N64 RGB modded?
If it's not RGB modded then you should try a RGB mod and see if it's better then.

You could also buy a scaler like the XRGB-3 or Framemeister from Micomsoft. They convert the N64 signal to VGA or HDMI.
It's standard A/V, although I'm using my Gamecube cables right now. Would an RGB mod make a difference since it doesn't change the resolution?

My biggest question though, is am I hurting my N64's lifespan by having to turn it off and on several times to get it to work, (not rapidly of course).
NTSC

sanni
Member Avatar
I can't promise you that it works but a RGB mod is the cheapest thing to do, less than $10 in parts. It also gives you the option to use different sync signals (C-Sync, C-Video and Yuma)

Posted Image

Also if it doesn't work: The next alternative, the scaler, works best with RGB input signals.
Posted Image

Posted Image Posted Image Posted ImagePosted Image

Peach'sCakeIsALie
Member Avatar
sanni
Oct 28 2012, 07:44 AM
I can't promise you that it works but a RGB mod is the cheapest thing to do, less than $10 in parts. It also gives you the option to use different sync signals (C-Sync, C-Video and Yuma)

Posted Image

Also if it doesn't work: The next alternative, the scaler, works best with RGB input signals.
Thanks, I might try that. At least it works after a while though anyway :dance:
NTSC

Mk II
Member Avatar
Elite
As ive said before: the problem is not the N64 or the cable you use.
The problem is the auto-sensing software in your TV that is trying to determine what kind of video signal you are feeding into it.

I have a big-ass Sony HDTV and it has exactly the same issue; sometimes the N64 video signal isnt picked up (but i can hear the audio!)
The only thing that "helps" is power-cycling the TV and/or console until it does work.
It is very frustrating, in particular if you are trying to demonstrate a console to a prospective buyer ! ("honestly, it worked fine just 10 minutes ago!")

Posted Image

CoachLuke22
Member Avatar
I had to buy an RF Modulator. Your AV cables go in and come out Coaxial Cable.

http://www.interstatemusic.com/848379-RCA-CRF907-Compact-RF-Modulator-CRF907.aspx?sku=VTVCRF907&source=Google+Base_CASCIO&source=Google+Base_Cascio&utm_source=google&utm_medium=product&utm_campaign=gbase&gclid=CMzr99P_o7MCFcU-MgoduXsAsQ
N.A. Consoles - 7/9
N.A. Controllers CIB - 8/8
N.A. Carts - 76/296

Nintendo Power Controllers - Nintendo Power 100, DK64, Millennium 2000

Cabanon
Elite
the upscaler honestly is the best option i think. plus it does enhanced the image a bit. it's not the cheapest, but its defenately the best option.

NintendoLuke99
Member Avatar
Nintendo 64 Teen Enthusiast
:n64: Well i used to play my N64 on a Coby hdtv(15 inch to be exact) and sometimes i would have alot of problems with it. :( Then when i was looking in my old house storage room i found a 13 inch sylvania crt Tv VCR combo TV and i tried it on my N64 it worked flawlessly(i do have problems when i touch my expansion pak on my N64 and also have problems when i dont clean the games for a while). i really haven t had any problems and i still have the Tv to this day. :n64: Forever!
Edited by NintendoLuke99, Oct 28 2012, 11:00 AM.
Get :n64: Or Get Out! :n64: slogan
:n64: Forever!

My :n64: Collection
1 Black :n64: console
34 :n64: Games
3 Offical :n64: controllers

Spidercolt
Member Avatar
Mario Maniac
My N64 works on my RCA 48 inches HD TV. Its just not displaying the picture in full screen like it should.
Get :n64: Or Get Out!

NTSC Collection: 81 Games
61 Cart Only
20 Complete In Box

GameCube: 78 Games Complete

My Collection

Nintendo Network ID: Spidercolt.

danny_galaga
Member Avatar

I must be the only one who has no probs with his HD TV! I have SNES, N64 and Atari Jaguar hooked up to my Samsung, it never has any trouble. Definitely a keeper :D

The Red Shadow
Member Avatar
The Seeker
My Samsung has never had an issue with any of my consoles, the N64 included. But I have heard of other people having the same problem so it befuddles me why some TVs do this and others don't.

Mk II
Member Avatar
Elite
if you look inside a modern LCD TV all you find is a big screen and a tiny computer motherboard with a CPU, GPU and lots of I/O ports.
Almost everything is done in software and there lies the problem.
To enable auto-switching to the correct display mode, the TV software tries to analyse the incoming signals and sometimes this doesnt work correctly (with older consoles).
Ive had the same problem with lots of different NES, SNES and Gamecube consoles and cables so im sure the problem is located in the HDTV.

Posted Image

Peach'sCakeIsALie
Member Avatar
Wow, turns out I didn't clean the cartridges enough. :unsure: :facepalm: That's a fail. Now it works every time like with the NES and SNES.
NTSC

Xephyrian
Member Avatar
Master Chief of the Universe
I am having a similar issue that I was wondering if anyone here could help me out with. I have an Insignia NS-32E740A12
Spoiler: click to toggle

It is an HDTV and for some reason my N64 doesn't wan't to play on it. This is what the ports on the back look like:

Posted Image

I'm sure I've plugged it into the right ports but it's just not playing. I don't know the first thing about TVs so I don't know what to do about it. Does anyone know if there's anything I need to do/buy to get it to display? Another thing I should mention is that the TV does read an input when I hook it up but no sound or video comes through.
Posted Image

Mk II
Member Avatar
Elite
As far as i know, the N64 output is wired as follows:
YELLOW = VIDEO
WHITE = LEFT AUDIO CHANNEL
RED = RIGHT AUDIO CHANNEL

So you should connect the white plug to the white port (L), the red plug to the red port (R) and the yellow plug to the port maked 'Y / VIDEO'
Posted Image

stinger9142
Member Avatar
Endure and survive...
I have a Samsung 43" plasma. I just played the 64 on it for the first time this past saturday. I was using an RF adapter, so there was of course no issue. You have me curious to try the normal cables sometime now though. :eh:

DeeMoney
Member Avatar
Outback Adventurer
I have a Samsung 50" Plasma tv and have had the N64 hooked up too it for years. no problem at all, using the av cables. The only issue I have with certain games is with the colouring.
Nintendo Network ID - DeeMoney19
PSN Network ID - hallxx81xx
Xbox Live Gamertag - DeeMoney 2K19

Posted Image

Xephyrian
Member Avatar
This is what the manual says about hooking up composite/av so doesn't that mean the N64 should work?

Posted Image

Am I missing something here? It keeps displaying no signal when I choose composite/av input. I noticed mention of an RF adapter. What does this do and could I possibly need it?
Posted Image

danny_galaga
Member Avatar
Gooman130
Oct 31 2012, 10:09 PM
This is what the manual says about hooking up composite/av so doesn't that mean the N64 should work?

Posted Image

Am I missing something here? It keeps displaying no signal when I choose composite/av input. I noticed mention of an RF adapter. What does this do and could I possibly need it?

Note that the OP realised he hadn't cleaned his cart properly, maybe you need to check that too :D

Xephyrian
Member Avatar
danny_galaga
Nov 1 2012, 03:43 AM
Note that the OP realised he hadn't cleaned his cart properly, maybe you need to check that too :D
I triple checked my carts. They definitely should be working.
Posted Image

R3dfi3lD
Member Avatar
Established Member
DeeMoney
Oct 31 2012, 09:01 PM
I have a Samsung 50" Plasma tv and have had the N64 hooked up too it for years. no problem at all, using the av cables. The only issue I have with certain games is with the colouring.
Do you mean messed colors?
I'm from Brazil and when I won my nintendo 64 (US Version) they (store) transcoded it to pal-M.
So nowadays it runs normal on my HDTV except for some games that runs at Hi-res (the colors get all messed). :dance:

alxbly
Member Avatar
Ancient
I might have been lucky but have had two HDTVs and my N64s have worked fine on both using composite connections (the standard y/r/w connectors). I got a Samsung 3D TV last Xmas and the N64 works fine on that too. If you can, get an official N64 av cable, some of the third party ones are pretty poor.

Xephyrian
Member Avatar
I have first party av cables. Still doesn't work :-/
Posted Image

alxbly
Member Avatar
Ancient
These might sound like silly questions but have you tried the N64 on another TV? Sometimes the display output in the console can die... its rare but it happens. Also (genuinely sorry if this sounds silly), do you have a cart in when you switch on? Is it an expansion pak game? Do you have an expansion pak in your N64? Games like DK64 and Majoras Mask won't display without an expansion pak.

Xephyrian
Member Avatar
I play the N64 all the time on my smaller non HD TV and the games I'm trying to play do not require expansion pak. The TV recognizes a hook up to the av input but when I select it it simply gives me a "no input" message.
Posted Image

NintendoLuke99
Member Avatar
Nintendo 64 Teen Enthusiast
Gooman130
Nov 5 2012, 03:43 PM
I play the N64 all the time on my smaller non HD TV and the games I'm trying to play do not require expansion pak. The TV recognizes a hook up to the av input but when I select it it simply gives me a "no input" message.
well heres what i did when my n64 wouldnt display anything(similar to yours)well it wasnt working so i decided to reseat the expansion pak (you need a flathead screwdriver) your pry up the jumper/expansion pak(whatever you have in there) and take a quick look at it and then put it back in very firmly. after i did that to my n64, it worked perfectly after that
Get :n64: Or Get Out! :n64: slogan
:n64: Forever!

My :n64: Collection
1 Black :n64: console
34 :n64: Games
3 Offical :n64: controllers

Xephyrian
Member Avatar
I'm fairly confident that it's not an issue with the jumper pak since it works perfectly well on all four of my other TV's. It's just not working with the only HD TV we own. :(
Posted Image

Vekoma64
Member Avatar
Here is a long shot...some TV's really do not like video games through the standard yellow video cable. I know this sounds mad but I have seen some TV's that do just that. DVD/VHS TV combi's. Use a scart block. I know some TV's now come with a rubbish wire that you insert with a scart block input on it. Grab any spare scart block and put the yellow, red and white cable into it, then into scart input on tv or rubbish lead. Mind to switch to correct input and try that. It has worked for me before. Other then that all I can suggest is a exspensive upgrade to a AV reciever which will except pretty much any signal then send it to the TV.
Edited by Vekoma64, Nov 5 2012, 04:20 PM.
Nintendo gaming since 1989 WiiU NNID- Vekoma64

alxbly
Member Avatar
Ancient
It sounds like the N64s video output is too small for your TV to detect. The only thing I can think of that you can try is routing it through another source. For example, through an upscaler (expensive) or through a VCR/DVD Recorder/PVR/AV Receiver (which may adjust the picture to 640x480 which may then display on your TV... but it would depend on the device/settings). :(

Good luck, hope you find something that works. :)

Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Gaming & General Nintendo 64 Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: