Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
How to know when you've collected enough?; Having trouble calling it quits.
Topic Started: Oct 30 2012, 08:15 AM (1,100 Views)
brown duckz
Member Avatar
Let me first say I'm not a complete set collector.

Out of 296 titles, maybe one third are worth gaming. I'm just not into collecting 5 Madden games, 5 NFL QB Clubs, etc.

However, I'm having trouble sticking to my "list" ....

When I get close to acquiring every game I set out to collect, I continually find myself scouring the WikiPedia game list in search of titles to add. As it sits right now I have about 85 titles. I'm lacking Mario Party and Sin&Punishment (JP) only at the moment, but getting close to completing gives me an empty feeling like I'm missing something.

What is a gamer/collector to do? Anxiety medication? :D

I'm at work right now, but I might post my list when I get home so that maybe this can turn into a recommendation thread.
I currently own humble, but nice collections of NTSC-U; NES, SNES, N64, GameCube, Wii

Currently taking a break from a 2012 collecting binge.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

TNT737373
Member Avatar
Veteran
Simply If your not satisfied with your current collection then your not done collecting, ha. Either make the hard jump to CIB's through the slow process of buying boxes and manuals separately on eBay, or keep collecting N64 titles until you've got 'em all. Personally I think once you've got all your N64 favorites you should either jump forward or back a generation. I decided to start collecting GameCube and after two years I'm almost done getting my favorites for the console. I'm losing interest in collecting Nintendo now and once I've completed my GameCube set I'll be done probably forever. ha. It helps to craft your collection around a display, for instance my game cabinet can hold about 35 N64 and GameCube games, so I made a goal to fill up the cabinet with my top 35 of each. I'm satisfied already with how it looks, however a few more and voila, done! As for the future I'll be a modern collector only and I'm happy with that.
Edited by TNT737373, Oct 30 2012, 08:46 AM.

brown duckz
Member Avatar
Sometimes I feel like I'm adding stuff just for the hell of it. I feel pretty strong about my current list.

I'm already a multi-system collector. I finished my GameCube collection a few weeks ago at about 33 titles, a mint CIB console, a few WaveBirds, etc. My SNES collection is about 80% complete (50-60 carts & a mint CIB console). I find myself doing the same thing with the SNES list (maybe even worst) because of the sheer volume of titles for that system.
Edited by brown duckz, Oct 30 2012, 08:57 AM.
I currently own humble, but nice collections of NTSC-U; NES, SNES, N64, GameCube, Wii

scooter77
Member Avatar
New Zealand Member
I was in your boat a couple of years ago, i started off only wanting the games i used to play when it came out, but i slowly started to get other titles i thought sounded good, and then it started to get i little bit out of control and i found myself going for a complete PAL collection, once that was completed i was satisfied......until i realised i had a couple of NTSC-U games and i thought since there was only 60 odd NTSC-U only releases i might as well go for them, then i was satisfied, but after a month or so i started to feel there was something missing in my collection, and decided to collect the NTSC-J only releases, i think after i have all the games i will be happy, but seeing ddr's 64DD, i might go for that next, man i need help LOL.

I feel collecting is a bug, you will never be completely satisfied with what you have until there is nothing else to collect, i just decided to go with it, i only get stuff as i can afford it that way i dont feel i am over spending on my hobby, im sure you will get to a point in your collection where you feel you have done it, then you can sit back and admire it with a big smile on your face, until then just enjoy the ride, you will know in yourself when you have collected enough.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
-Albert Einstein

PAL Collection: 243/243
NTSC-U only Exclusives: 50/50
NTSC-U / NTSC-J Exclusives: 11/11
NTSC-J only Exclusives: 85/85
64dd 0/9

Only 9 to go.

Cabanon
Elite
meh, you're never done honestly. once you get too much, you just get more and more lol

Norcal
Member Avatar

I've only collected my "childhood" games, and others that i've played. So because of that it's not the biggest collection. I may expand it in the future and get all N64 NTSC releases.
Posted Image

brown duckz
Member Avatar
Original plan was to collect the first 8-9 titles released plus the usual suspects like GoldenEye, Donkey Kong, etc.

That plan has evolved into nearly 100 carts. I've actually sold some off along the way to keep the number down.

jonebone
Member Avatar
Yeah I'm never done either. When people are "done", they tend to disappear or sell off. I don't plan on doing either!

brown duckz
Member Avatar
Here's my list. Any recommendations?

I'm not a big Zelda fan so I picked Ocarina over MM. I don't like the Mario Party series very much, but I'm willing to buy the original. I'm not a fan of Clayfighter. I'm on the fence about doing a Castlevania collection across all systems...

85 Games,

007: Goldeneye
007: The World Is Not Enough
1080 Snowboarding
All-Star Baseball 2001
Automobili Lamborghini
Banjo-Kazooie 64
Big Mountain 2000
Blast Corps
California Speed
Conker’s Bad Fur Day
Cruis’n USA
Cruis’n World
Cruis’n Exotica
Diddy Kong Racing
Donkey Kong 64
Doom 64
Excitebike 64
F-1 Pole Position 64
Fighting Force 64
F-Zero X
GT64
Hybrid Heaven
Hydro Thunder
International Superstar Soccer 64
International Track & Field 2000
Jet Force Gemini
Ken Griffey Jr.‘s Slugfest
Killer Instinct Gold
Knockout Kings 2000
Madden ‘02
Mario 64
Mario Golf
Mario Kart 64
Mario Party
Mario Tennis
Mission Impossible
Monster Truck Madness 64
Mortal Kombat 4
Mortal Kombat Mythologies
Mortal Kombat Trilogy
Nagano Olympics ‘98
NBA Live 2000
NBA Showtime
NFL Blitz
NFL Blitz 2000
NFL Blitz 2001
Off-Road Challenge
Olympic Hockey ‘98
Perfect Dark
PGA Euro Tour
PilotWings 64
Polaris SnoCross
Rampage World Tour
Ready 2 Rumble Boxing
Resident Evil 2
Ridge Racer 64
San Francisco Rush
San Francisco Rush 2: Extreme Racing
San Francisco Rush 2049
Sin & Punishment
Star Wars Episode 1: Battle For Naboo
Star Wars Episode 1: Racer
Star Wars: Rogue Squadron
Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire
Starfox 64
Stunt Racer 64
Super Smash Bros
Turok
Turok 2
Turok: Rage Wars
Waialae Country Club
War Gods
Wave Race 64
Wayne Gretzky’s 3D Hockey
Wayne Gretzky’s 3D Hockey ‘98
WCW/NWO Revenge
WCW/NWO World Tour
WCW Nitro
WINBACK: Covert Operations
Wipeout 64
WWF No Mercy
WWF Warzone
WWF Wrestlemania 2000
Yoshi’s Story
Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Edited by brown duckz, Oct 30 2012, 04:42 PM.

RodneyP
Member Avatar
Might as well stick Turok 3 in there...
155 games & counting!
UK PAL console with Goldeneye
US NTSC Toys'r'us Gold exclusive with two pads
JAP NTSC basic version

brown duckz
Member Avatar
RodneyP
Oct 30 2012, 05:08 PM
Might as well stick Turok 3 in there...
I went back and forth on that one and since it evolved far off from the original gameplay I decided not to include it. However, it may be something to fill the void I'm having, haha.

RodneyP
Member Avatar
Yeah, I'm undecided on it. The urban environments kinda killed it for me. Still a solid FPS, though the N64 doesn't suffer from a dearth of those!
155 games & counting!
UK PAL console with Goldeneye
US NTSC Toys'r'us Gold exclusive with two pads
JAP NTSC basic version

sanni
Member Avatar
How can you have multiple sports games of the same genre like Wayne Gretzky’s 3D Hockey & Wayne Gretzky’s 3D Hockey ‘98 but not Majoras Mask D:
Posted Image

Posted Image Posted Image Posted ImagePosted Image

brown duckz
Member Avatar
sanni
Oct 30 2012, 05:27 PM
How can you have multiple sports games of the same genre like Wayne Gretzky’s 3D Hockey & Wayne Gretzky’s 3D Hockey ‘98 but not Majoras Mask D:
The two trios of sports titles I have are the Gretzky engine games and NFL Blitz, probably my two favorite sports games of all time. On top of that, they are rpoduced by Midway--my favorite game maker of all time. These titles deviate from typical "sports titles" because of their Arcade gameplay.

However, buying Madden 64, Madden '99, 2000, 2001, and 2002 is just a waste of money and counter space.

I picked up Ocarina because I know of its awesomeness, I've just never been a Zelda fan.
Edited by brown duckz, Oct 30 2012, 05:38 PM.

Mk II
Member Avatar
Elite
To be honest: the N64 had more than it's fair share of horrible games that are totally unplayable nowadays but OTOH those shelf-fillers as i like to call them cost next to nothing. And there's something about getting a complete set.

Posted Image

brown duckz
Member Avatar
brown duckz
Oct 30 2012, 05:32 PM
sanni
Oct 30 2012, 05:27 PM
The two trios of sports titles I have are the Gretzky engine games and NFL Blitz, probably my two favorite sports games of all time. On top of that, they are produced by Midway--my favorite game maker of all time. These titles deviate from typical "sports titles" because of their Arcade gameplay.

However, buying Madden 64, Madden '99, 2000, 2001, and 2002 is just a waste of money and counter space.

I picked up Ocarina because I know of its awesomeness, I've just never been a Zelda fan.

NintenZane
Established Member
Im also having a hard time deciding.. i wanted to just collect for Nintendo but my original idea was to collect every game console. I think i made up my mind that i would collect all the consoles but my heart wold always be with Nintendo (and my gf (; ). I recently went wild on ebay picking up a few older consoles so im anxiously awaiting there arrival.

brown duckz
Member Avatar
Bump.

Would really love for some of you guys to check out my list and recommend.

cmjandro
Member Avatar
Id have to say get Banjo-Tooie.

My Ebay

The Red Shadow
Member Avatar
The Seeker
I would say pick up the BattleTanx games if you find them cheap enough. They are decent fun and I always loved the funny commercials they did for them.

And the Gex games, also if you can find them cheap enough.
Edited by The Red Shadow, Oct 31 2012, 07:52 PM.

brown duckz
Member Avatar
I haven't even had a chance to play my Banjo Kazooie. Is the sequel that awesome?

NTSCN64fanatic
Member Avatar
Established Member
I'm playing BK now and I think it's awesome. It's beautiful not just aesthetically the design is very solid I reckon this far and I'm not too far in. As for recommendations.... We live in the digital age I find myself trawling eBay looking for stuff I don't have yet I picked up a mint jap banjo two prior to getting my mint usa banjo one and I'm glad I played the first one first because as mentioned I love it thus far but I also enjoy the text being in English
Just keep on with it until you decide you are happy I am waiting on a tasty mint console from Japan the translucent blue n clear white bottom one not the rarest not necessary at all but I want it and that's enough of a reason to get it
I want duke nukem 64 and jet force next and I keep just missing the sort of mint condition or close to it paper marios and want to avoid paying funny money for it lol it's fun if it was too easy it would be mainstream I love that I have these things they are from a Truly golden age
Daiei hawks system wanted...Advice on how to get a mint boxed one from Japan safely appreciated!

brown duckz
Member Avatar
This is my new wanted list. Took some work, but after identifying these games, watching reviews, etc.--I feel these should be added to the collection.

Aero Fighters Assault
Castlevania 64
Destruction Derby 64
Duke Nukem 64
Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards
Mario Party
Nuclear Strike
Road Rash 64
Sin & Punishment (JP)
Turok 3: Shadow of Oblivion

Randomgeek
Member Avatar
Established Member
I'd recommend Ogre Battle 64 and Gauntlet 64, but those might not be everyone's cup of tea.

I think I'm somewhat similar to you, I have a decent collection but I eventually want to have all of the "good" games for N64. But trying to define what qualifies as good can be hard to exact.

I envy those with complete collections, because they know they're not missign out on anything...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=FDF2NTP5c2o

bluedogrulez
Member Avatar
Racing for Fulcon Capital
Swap Roadsters in for Lamborghini. Both Titus games, roasters is wayyyy better. I'd take it over most road racing games on the N64.

And prioritize Sin & Punishment. Brilliant game!
Switch Friend Code: SW-0786-9287-1202 (bluedogBDR)
MK8Deluxe Tourney: N64Forever.com 2332-7277-8283
Nintendo Network ID: BDR2010 / Twitter: @bluedogrulez
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

TNT737373
Member Avatar
Veteran
brown duckz
Oct 31 2012, 08:20 PM
I haven't even had a chance to play my Banjo Kazooie. Is the sequel that awesome?
Banjo Tooie is a much bigger game, it's a collect-a-thon but not as bad or mundane as Donkey Kong 64. A lot of effort went into Banjo Tooie, it's harder, more expansive, brings multiplayer, and more jokes between the bird and bear. It's a fantastic kid's game however it's not as "pick up and play" as Super Mario 64, or as engaging story-wise like Conker's Bad Fur Day. Overall if you liked the original you HAVE to play the second, it builds upon everything the first game sets down and gives you twice as much freedom. One of the best 3D platformers that exist. When I was young I probably put the most amount of hours into this game next to Goldeneye. My total play time had to be 100+ hours I just loved exploring and screwing around. The story takes around 10-15.
Edited by TNT737373, Nov 4 2012, 09:20 PM.

brown duckz
Member Avatar
bluedogrulez
Nov 4 2012, 08:39 PM
Swap Roadsters in for Lamborghini. Both Titus games, roasters is wayyyy better. I'd take it over most road racing games on the N64.

And prioritize Sin & Punishment. Brilliant game!
I've already acquired Automobili Lamborghini.

I'm a huge Lambo fan. :D

The game is terrible, but it holds some sentimental value.

DeeMoney
Member Avatar
Outback Adventurer
Some good wants there brown duckz. It's good to line up exactly what you want to get before you begin your search. Good luck finding those bad boys :yeah:
Nintendo Network ID - DeeMoney19
PSN Network ID - hallxx81xx
Xbox Live Gamertag - DeeMoney 2K19

Posted Image

buddy1983
Member Avatar
Veteran
Quote:

It helps to craft your collection around a display, for instance my game cabinet can hold about 35 N64 and GameCube games, so I made a goal to fill up the cabinet with my top 35 of each. I'm satisfied already with how it looks

Any pics
Youtube

Wii U user name: Read1ngFC (thats a one and not a i)

Switch friend code SW-4595-4819-7191

UK resident

Posted Image

I'm currently playiing triangle in a reggae band. I just stand in the back and Ting

AaronN64
Member Avatar
Established Member
i highly recommend Mario Party 2 and 3, 2 is awesome with the fillet relay... my family goes nuts whenever that pops up in the mini games and its a full on battle.
Also Paper Mario, its just awesome seeing mario as paper haha

« Previous Topic · Collecting · Next Topic »
Add Reply