Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
N64 Analog Stick Replacements Test
Topic Started: Nov 1 2012, 04:35 AM (53,611 Views)
James-F
Member Avatar
Nope, just a screwdriver to open the controller and replacing a few plastic parts.
Lots of youtube videos how to fix n64 controller stick.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

kartmaster
Member Avatar
Coffee Drinker
That's good to hear! I might order a few sets. I got a few crunchy thumbsticks.
Posted Image
Join in the N64 Forever MK64 Hotlap Competition!
Posted Image

James-F
Member Avatar
Don't underestimate the grease, it is a big factor in how smooth the stick feels.
Grease inside the gear-set rails, gear-set pivot points on bowl, Teflon ring, and bottom of bowl.
Basically wherever there are parts in contact, grease these locations.
Use a toothpick and be careful not to cover the tiny encoder wheel windows.
I used White Silicone Grease, but any old grease will do like machine grease etc..

I am still wanting a proper analog stick that behaves like a new N64 stick without going the DIY route with PCBs and writing firmwares etc.
Edited by James-F, Dec 16 2017, 05:02 AM.

ItalianBaptist
Member Avatar
Very late comer to this, but I'm looking to get all-new gc-style thumbsticks. I looked at the reviews on page 1 and want to make sure I get the updated version, since Smash Bros. is my number one concern (Mario Kart 64 is #2).

I found a couple options online; there's the one on Lukie Games and there's the Video Game Museum one that I saw on Amazon. Can anybody help me out? I'm not sure about all the technical stuff so a link to the best one preferably available from Amazon would be fine.
It must be exciting to never have played a Zelda game before - No64DD

1985gamer
Member Avatar
ItalianBaptist
Jan 18 2018, 10:07 AM
Very late comer to this, but I'm looking to get all-new gc-style thumbsticks. I looked at the reviews on page 1 and want to make sure I get the updated version, since Smash Bros. is my number one concern (Mario Kart 64 is #2).

I found a couple options online; there's the one on Lukie Games and there's the Video Game Museum one that I saw on Amazon. Can anybody help me out? I'm not sure about all the technical stuff so a link to the best one preferably available from Amazon would be fine.
Are you in Europe? I couldn't find the v3 one anywhere when I looked earlier this month except shipping from Germany here on eBay:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Thumbstick-Analogstick-Modul-f%C3%BCr-Nintendo-64-N64-Controller-Gamecube-Style-NEU/251454086703

BTW I installed it but still not impressed as useless for accurate subtle movements required in games like Goldeneye. I've gone down the route of ordering parts from Kitsch Bent in the US instead to service the OEM sticks.
Edited by 1985gamer, Jan 18 2018, 04:26 PM.

ItalianBaptist
Member Avatar
Iím sorry I should have specified. Iím a US resident.
It must be exciting to never have played a Zelda game before - No64DD

1985gamer
Member Avatar
ItalianBaptist
Jan 18 2018, 05:11 PM
Iím sorry I should have specified. Iím a US resident.
I took delivery of the latest replacement bowls, gears, and sticks from Kitsch Bent today (they're based in the USA) and they look great, I'd give that a go instead. It's a little fiddly but easy to install the parts. Can update when installed if you like, I think these will be better than a GC stick solution
Edited by 1985gamer, Jan 20 2018, 04:40 PM.

1985gamer
Member Avatar
Update: had some success now I've fitted two sets of Kitsch Bent gears bowl and sticks, while the X axis is smooth as anything the Y axis is grindy on both and didn't flip back to centre all the time. I've tried removing the mould flash and widening the bowl gear slots a little as well as using light ceramic grease but the problem persists. Anyone got a suggestion please?
Edited by 1985gamer, Jan 22 2018, 10:31 AM.

James-F
Member Avatar
Out of the package you should have removed the molding flashes with a small utility knife and sanded the parts to be as smooth as possible, and only then grease.
After that I shake the stick with the palm of my hand for a minute in the direction of the stiffness (if any), then everything should be smooth.
Edited by James-F, Jan 23 2018, 08:57 AM.

Aniki
Thanks to everyone for detailing this thread with such thorough information. I just wanted to add my thoughts on the GC-style sticks that I've tried since getting an N64 a few weeks back. I have two controllers, one with a fairly tight OEM stick (about 15o of wiggle) and one with a pretty bad OEM one (about 30o or more of wiggle) that I wanted to replace. The first stick I tried before finding this thread was this one, and it is absolute garbage. It had the best reviews on Amazon with varying complaints and praises about the sensitivity curve, so I figured it must not be that bad. But, to my surprise, every game I tried was almost completely unplayable due to the sensitivity ramping up from nothing to 100% in only a few millimeters of travel. The difference in between that and the version 3 model is night and day. The sensitivity curve is much more accurate and scales in a way that you would expect. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to test it with an FPS like GoldenEye or Perfect Dark as I don't own them yet. But, games like Star Wars Ep. 1 Racer, Pokemon Snap, OoT, and SM64 all work fantastically well. It's definitely not a perfect 1:1 replacement for the original stick, but it's much smoother and feels nicer to use overall for someone used to modern controllers.
Edited by Aniki, Jan 24 2018, 04:23 PM.

leonquest
There are 2 alternatives that have no been discussed or reviewed in this thread.

1. Raphnet adapters for Gamecube controllers. According to My Life In Gaming, these adapters add no perceivable lag, and work great. The analog stick of the Gamecube controller seems to work just as well as the N64 as far as no deadzone and equal sensitivity.

Website: http://www.raphnet-tech.com/products/gc_to_n64_adapter_v3_with_builtin_controller_pak/index.php

2. Brawl64 controllers. There are only 2 reviews in youtube so far, but both reviews seem to indicate that it works better than the original. Any thoughts on it?

spray110
Hi people! I just noticed this new modeled replacement joystick for the N64, by Hyperkin or Repairbox.

https://www.hyperkin.com/replacement-controller-joystick-for-n64-optical-style-repairbox.html

I can't purchase it just yet, but maybe some of you could? I'm really interested as in how this stick performs compaired to the "original style" stick, also under the Repairbox brand.

Could this finally be the optimal, most affordable solution for replacing our N64 sticks?

Meader
Member Avatar
Competitor
This is so cool!
Posted Image
Work - Love - Nintendo 64

« Previous Topic · Modding, Repairs & Custom Projects · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: