Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Your dream job?; the next in my "more about you" series
Topic Started: Nov 25 2012, 04:07 PM (981 Views)
stinger9142
Member Avatar
Endure and survive...
Well I am a week late, but let's get back to it.

What is your dream job if you have one?

For years I always thought I wanted to own a 2 sided business. I wanted a gun and knife store on one side and a mixed martial arts studio on the other. Lately I have been even more burned out on mma and found it harder to get motivation to teach my classes though. I am not sure if I would still give the same answer nowadays.

I also at a time wanted to be involved in making video games in some aspect. Outside of the two I mentioned I draw a blank. I never really loved anything enough to want to devote the time to make a career out of it. MMA was the exception, but it isn't enjoyable after over 15 years honestly.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

DeeMoney
Member Avatar
Outback Adventurer
Sounds like you need a break Stinger before you fully burn out.

My dream would to become a head coach for a basketball team. Local league here in Australia or even better, head coach at a Div 1 NCAA college in the states and of course the big one an NBA coaching gig.

Few things need to take place before this can even look like happening. I'll get the ball rolling soon and start doing some coaching courses and maybe look for a job locally to start off.
Nintendo Network ID - DeeMoney19
PSN Network ID - hallxx81xx
Xbox Live Gamertag - DeeMoney 2K19

Posted Image

stinger9142
Member Avatar
Endure and survive...
Awesome! More power to you on that one.

You are probably right man. It was fine for a while, but one of my 4 had to move (wife in the military). He happened to be my favorite student. Another kind of fell in with a a bad woman, and dropped out after over 3 years. I think he may be on drugs now. I still have 2 guys going. They are the two most talented at least. I doubt I could ever walk away though. I would be afraid I couldn't get the ball rolling again, and they would move on to other teachers.

Xephyrian
Member Avatar
Master Chief of the Universe
As childish as it sounds my dream job would be a LEGO designer. Or at least as high up in LEGO as I could get. I've always loved the company and the toy (not so much pleased with the toys as of their recent direction) so I would love to work there. I may be making my first jump into the LEGO ladder within the next few months but I'll probably need my drivers license first.
Posted Image

stinger9142
Member Avatar
Endure and survive...
I always loved Legos! That would be an awesome job.

Alice Lawless
Member Avatar
N64 collection completed 7/29/12
My dream job is to be in a rock band and tour with some awesome people. How sick would it be just to play music and spend your life on the road with your friends? It's too bad I lack talent, or else I wouldn't be working in the computer field. I guess I'm living my realistic dream job then since I'm very happy doing what I'm doing.
Facebook:
STIK ROSS
Posted Image
Posted Image
297/296 NTSC N64 [100%] (Zelda GOLD)
7/7 PAL N64 [100%]

stinger9142
Member Avatar
Endure and survive...
That is awesome, stik. I have enjoyed things about various jobs I have had, but I have never "loved" a one of them.

Rockstar is very common. I wanted to be a pro-wrestler for a while, as well as an MMA fighter.

DeeMoney
Member Avatar
Outback Adventurer
Have you had any fights Stinger??

Posted Image

stinger9142
Member Avatar
Endure and survive...
No, I have not had any. In fact almost all of my scrapping days were before taking any martial arts. Been in one street fight since. It was un-eventful and lasted all of 1 punch.

MMA was not nearly as huge when I was 17, I wanted to join the Lions Den in Lodi California after I graduated. Instead I met my wife and fell in love. Before turning 18 I had already promised her I would never competitively fight. See she kind of likes my face, and wants it to stay looking the way it does ;) So here we are 11 years later, training people for it instead. You know what they say, "those who can't do, teach"

My main guy should have his first fight sometime this coming year. I hope to put some links to his fights on here when he does.

He has faced some big time guys, but in un-official settings. He beat the pants off of them. One was a Gracie BJJ Blue Belt, the other was a national sparring grand champion.

DeeMoney
Member Avatar
Outback Adventurer
haha fair enough then. Those links would be good. Always interested in MMA.

Posted Image

floorcat
Member Avatar
Nintendo sixty-floorcat :P
stinger9142
Nov 26 2012, 05:56 PM
I hope to put some links to his fights on here when he does.
Sweet... I look forward to seeing some brutal MMA schooling!! :w00t:

And that's crazy, Gooman... I think my very first dream job was in fact that same thing! I've alllllllways loved Legos... I could never get enough of them!! (Legos were the first things I ever collected!) Some of my favorite toys were built following Lego instructions, and I always thought how amazing it would be to create those ships/etc. for others to make, too. Hopefully you're successful in making your way into that position!! ^_^

My dream job currently has got to be similar to that... to what it first was... I'd like to be a designer of some sort. Throughout elementary school, I always thought I'd be an architect, but being somewhat skilled in math & science pushed me (at my parents' "strong" recommendation) into an engineering school, where I eventually grew very dispassionate for anything engineering-related... and started studying something as far away from it... Japanese. That eventually landed me into a localization company, which is nice, but there's really very little creativity involved. I want to CREATE stuff! I love and appreciate well-designed things... it could be anything from a building to furniture to clothing to even cooking utensils. :lol: Maybe someday I'll go for an architecture or design degree of some sort.

Until then... I'll just continue paying my bills with the skills I already have. :rollseyes:
Now Playing: Clash Royale (mobile), Gravity Rush 2, Rayman Legends, Project CARS, Uncharted 4 Survival Mode ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ

stinger9142
Member Avatar
Endure and survive...
Floorcat, you seem very much the type that succeeds at whatever they do. I to share in your desire to "create". I have been wanting to make a gun cabinet for months now. Just so little time.

TNT737373
Member Avatar
Veteran
Gooman130
Nov 25 2012, 10:26 PM
As childish as it sounds my dream job would be a LEGO designer.
Me too, except to hell with designing and actually having to work.... I wanna be one of those select handful of gentlemen that get paid full-time to "test" out the Lego sets and "make qualified determinations" on whether the instruction manuals and packaging are up to expectations. I swear you gotta be related to the CEO to get a job like that!

Either that or work as a tester for Rockstar North, even a janitor as long as I got perks in their building.. <_>

poptarts214
Member Avatar
Established Member
I have dreamed about opening a retro videogame store and have people be able to buy or sell there old videogames. Also with hosting splitscreen tournaments (SSB 64!). It would be good to get people to dig their old consoles out of their console and sell it at a reasonable price. With the intent to make retro games more known and an easy place for people to buy them.
296/296 NTSC Carts

Grombleton
Member Avatar
Established Member
poptarts214
Nov 28 2012, 01:37 AM
I have dreamed about opening a retro videogame store and have people be able to buy or sell there old videogames. Also with hosting splitscreen tournaments (SSB 64!). It would be good to get people to dig their old consoles out of their console and sell it at a reasonable price. With the intent to make retro games more known and an easy place for people to buy them.
That would be pretty awesome; there's so few of them around my area i think it'd do quite well.

I think if i had any option, then it'd possibly involve music or being in a band...but other than that, i'm a website designer and that's close enough to my dream job.
UK PAL Collection: 45

Vekoma64
Member Avatar
I always wanted to work in the video games store when I was a child and Theme Parks. Both jobs that offer no real ladder to climb and no big bucks to earn. Still a dream is a dream and I completed them both. When I was 15/16 I got my first job in an independent games store. That was great fun and did not pay much as I was part time. Then well Electronic Boutique opened and stole all our trade and that ended that dream. Still that was fun ride to end. I moved away from home and got my first job in theme park, LegoLand Windsor. I was 17 and would join the Attractions Team. At this time I was fully employed all year round and not seasonal. I got to teach the kids how to drive in the Driving School, that was cool. That winter I got my intials placed on the number plate of Lego car!. The winter involved cleaning models and general maintaince. I worked my way up the ladder to Area Assitant and become the attractions department main trainer, that was a great job. I got to help build models, train others, operate rides and got to meet some high up Lego managers. The winter was great as it provided many unique tasks and I enjoyed my 5 years with them. The special attractions I hold close my heart is Lego Racers based on the vieo game. It was so far ahead of its time.

Lego Racers was in a large building that guests walked through. When they got to the front they were split into 3 groups of 20 (although the upstairs had a further option for 3 groups of 20)They watched a short DVD based on the a Lego race, then moved through to the next room where they could build a racer and a car using the a touch screen. They then moved through to a big room with 20 Lego race cars where guests would sit down in a car with there own TV and race against the others in the room using LAN. There were 2 tracks. A space track and Desert track which both feature in the N64 game. This launched in 2001 and was a tech nightmare. In total in the buildng there was over 125 PC's that ran the game, the buildings automatic doors and lights and it all ran on Windows 98. Such a disaster the top floor was canned and companys went bust providing little tech support when it did go wrong. Switching the ride on or resetiing the whole system was nightmare, imagine the windows start up jingle being played all at the same time.... :nope: Still, I was there to it closed and it became less reliable and really went crazy and did mad stuff like switch off the lights to building and lock doors. Still I loved it I suppose because it filled two passions. I also got to drive the parks train which was rapid when floored..

I then worked with some other parks and got bored and moved back home only to walk into a job in video games store and became the supervisior. That was the best job I had... EB/Game bought the company and trashed the place to closure. I still recall that day when the email confirmed that the enemy had bought us and I said it would be the end of our team and I was right. Twice in my life they have destroyed my job!

Still this is a long way of pretty much saying I have completed all my dream jobs and it was fun. The choices I made were fun but now I am back a college to get a real job.
Edited by Vekoma64, Nov 28 2012, 09:55 AM.
Nintendo gaming since 1989 WiiU NNID- Vekoma64

Alice Lawless
Member Avatar
You win. Now all you gotta do is start a band and you'd have lived all our dreams!

I think we're ALL guilty of wanting to be a member of the Lego team or work with video games. You my good sir have made your dreams come true ;_;
Facebook:
STIK ROSS
Posted Image
Posted Image
7/7 PAL N64 [100%]

Vekoma64
Member Avatar
Thanks but a dream job that has low play can be real killer. I just did what I wanted and have no dependents so I did it. It is worth saying that I do not regret the jobs and it made for a more interesting life. However no one ever completed a N64 collection without a good paying job. Which I am working towards now. Clayfighter Sculptures cut will be mine...in a few years ;_;
Edited by Vekoma64, Nov 28 2012, 09:53 AM.

stinger9142
Member Avatar
Endure and survive...
These are great stories guys! Thank you all so much for sharing. Apparently we all share a love of legos too ;)

SicCooper
Member Avatar
Veteran
My dream job would be to work for Nintendo as a 3d Modeler. While this isnt a HUGE stretch for me, its very unlikely (plus I dont want to move to Japan, lol)

I am currently going to school to earn a degree in Video Game Art. I am taking classes ranging from modeling to animation. Modeling is my favorite, and its really what I hope to do as a career. Environmental Artist would be my preferred job title :)

I have about 1 year left here at school, then I will have a bachelors degree in Game Art. After that, I hope to find a job in the industry in Seattle, WA. My hometown is Vancouver, WA, and im in Orlando, FL for school. I hate florida (aside from all the great game deals), and I really want to move back to Washington after I graduate. I have family in seattle, and it would be perfect because the Seattle area has a lot of game companies like Nintendo of America, Microsoft / Bungie Studios, and they also have Google and Apple.

The perfect time line for me would be Graduate > industry job in Seattle > get own house (not apartment) > build most amazing game room ever, complete with secret entrance and everything.

Posted Image

stinger9142
Member Avatar
Endure and survive...
Given you are going to school for it, Cooper, you sound right in line for the career of your dreams! I wish you the best.

SicCooper
Member Avatar
Veteran
stinger9142
Nov 28 2012, 01:15 PM
Given you are going to school for it, Cooper, you sound right in line for the career of your dreams! I wish you the best.
Thanks! Unfortunately, modeling is what EVERYONE wants to do, so its pretty competitive :/ But I really do enjoy it, and Im looking forward to working on something awesome in the future :)

Posted Image

hockeylife21
At the moment I have no idea what I want to do career-wise but my dream job would definetly be co-composing alongside Koji Kondo on Nintendo games. Although I have no knowledge of making music on the computer and I can only play percussive instruments, I think I can make decent music since I've taken Music Theory 3 years in high school. But alas this will never happen in a million years.

TNT737373
Member Avatar
Veteran
Vekoma64
Nov 28 2012, 06:51 AM
I moved away from home and got my first job in theme park, LegoLand Windsor. I was 17 and would join the Attractions Team.
:blink: So very jealous... ha. My very first video games were the early PC ventures by Lego into the game market, and their always used to be advertisements in the games for Legoland Windsor. Not to mention also in almost every Lego magazine back then as well. Must have stared at well over 50 ads for that theme park. It's is still on my bucket list, maybe if I have kids one day we'll all go over to England and stop by.
Edited by TNT737373, Nov 28 2012, 05:26 PM.

Alice Lawless
Member Avatar
TNT737373
Nov 28 2012, 05:26 PM
Vekoma64
Nov 28 2012, 06:51 AM
I moved away from home and got my first job in theme park, LegoLand Windsor. I was 17 and would join the Attractions Team.
:blink: So very jealous... ha. My very first video games were the early PC ventures by Lego into the game market, and their always used to be advertisements in the games for Legoland Windsor. Not to mention also in almost every Lego magazine back then as well. Must have stared at well over 50 ads for that theme park. It's is still on my bucket list, maybe if I have kids one day we'll all go over to England and stop by.
Or you and I can go on a man-date to LegoLand in England. Life is too short and we could all die at any moment. I think the number one reason I'd want to have kids is so I can have an excuse to go to Lego Land again. Don't judge me.
Facebook:
STIK ROSS
Posted Image
Posted Image
7/7 PAL N64 [100%]

floorcat
Member Avatar
stinger9142
Nov 27 2012, 06:53 PM
Floorcat, you seem very much the type that succeeds at whatever they do. I to share in your desire to "create". I have been wanting to make a gun cabinet for months now. Just so little time.
Oh gosh, stinger... you're makin' me blush!! :lol:

Let's hope that by the time you're done with your gun cabinet, I would've (at least started) scratching my itch to create something. (And let's hope that something isn't just an even LONGER backlog of games!) ;)

This is probably why retired people always seem to say they're even busier after retirement than before - they're just catching up on all the projects they've been queuing up!
Now Playing: Clash Royale (mobile), Gravity Rush 2, Rayman Legends, Project CARS, Uncharted 4 Survival Mode ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ

Vekoma64
Member Avatar
The parks in the Royal Windsor Great Park and is beautiful. Full of wildlife and placed on a hillside. On a clear day you could see a bit of London and grand views of the castle. The park started life as a Windsor Safari Park and some of my older family worked at the Safari Park. My mother grew up next door in small villiage and recalls a escaped Kanagroo bouncing past her athe bus stop in the 70's. :rofl: It was a sad day when the park went bankrupt but tastes change. People turned up for work and were not aloowed to enter, not even to feed the animals. It caused quite a lot of distress for everyone and the animals too. There were protests and campouts but the banks said they would relocate the animals. Some got new homes but most were shot, including the parks whale. Many of the animals are burried on location.The whale is burried under the main entrance plazza in fornt of the BIG shop. Legos guide books just states the animals were rehomed. The banks sold the land to Lego and they pulled it all down and rebuilt the park. I once saw a plan of the park and where they burried the animals, I was told lego does not disturb or build in set places becasue of this. On a lighter note the parks service roads snake around the park because they use the roads from the safari park which means it takes a bizzare route up the hill. In plaes they still have slots in the roads where the gates to enclourses were and there was lots to discover hideen away from the public left over from the park. I have visted most of the Lego parks and they were nice but by far Windsor has the best landscaping and enviroment for a Lego park. Saying that though Legoland Florida(Cypris Gardens) looks like it could trump it but its on my list to visit. :D

I am such a theme park geek I have borrowed children to gain access to coasters that have adulit restrictions its cheaper then having your own plus you get to give them back.
Edited by Vekoma64, Nov 28 2012, 06:31 PM.

stinger9142
Member Avatar
Endure and survive...
well, just all your platinum trophies kind of give it away. Well, here is hoping that indeed! I would love to see if that is true about retirement :lol:

floorcat
Member Avatar
Hehe... well, not having a kid (and until last year, a partner) gave me plenty of time to earn some PS3 trophies! ;)

And that's crazy (and quite sad) about all those animals, Vekoma... and pretty admirable of Lego to honor those that were slaughtered. Hearing your passion for amusement parks (and your happiness being employed there) really reminded me of this pretty awesome/inspirational podcast I listened to a while back... about a young guy (Cole Lindbergh) who really puts his heart and soul into his full-time amusement park job, even though he knows it will never earn him much money... and I really found myself kind of jealous of his situation - that he both understands his passion and loves his job (which essentially is his passion) so fully, that he exudes positive energy onto his employees, and really does make the world a better place, one happy amusement park go-er at a time.

Cabanon
Elite
am I weird not having a dream job ? I mean i really like what I do and it was way far from what I expected to do in life. still, im doing it for the last 10 years now and I still enjoy every day. Of course there's more rough time (like the last 2 months) by having twice what we can actually produce, but it's a challenge to make it fits and placing the good people at the right place to cut down production time and get the stuff out.

Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Social Board · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: