Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Learning Japanese
Topic Started: Nov 26 2012, 05:27 AM (230 Views)
Cypher
Member Avatar
Established Member
Hello guys :) Now being a gamer one thing i have always wanted to do is learn Japanese, I Love the language in my opinion i think its greats! and when i got the money i will be going to Japan to go look at the culture. But one of the main reason i would love to learn japanese is to play the many fantastic Japan Exclusive games! Im a big RPG Fan when i ain't playing the N64 and there is some fantastic Japanese Exclusive RPG's :).

Anyway i do not have a clue where to start? I literally know NOTHING so i am going to be starting from the very beggining and was just wondering if anyone knows any good resources to have a look at to start learning it?
Buy ANY SNES/N64/GAMEBOY/GBC/GBA CIB PAL games So message me.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Xephyrian
Member Avatar
Master Chief of the Universe
That's awesome man! I had this same idea a couple months ago. I started with a video series series on Youtube and it was pretty good but I lost interest. I then started using Rosetta Stone and I like it so much better. Sadly I was only able to use it for one day before my computer crashed but once I get it fixed I definitely plan on continuing in my journey. I would recommend Rosetta Stone for sure. You learn it just like you would your first language through lots of listening. It doesn't associate words with direct translations. There are just pictures and japanese characters and japanese pronunciation. Words so well, I learned a ton in my first day.
Posted Image

floorcat
Member Avatar
Nintendo sixty-floorcat :P
Hey there, Cypher... glad to hear you're looking to learn some Japanese!! :w00t: :yeah:
The language barrier is (understandably) pretty huge, and that alone automatically scares away probably 95% of all gamers... so it's always awesome to see someone with the ambition to learn! ^_^

I USED to be nearly fluent... but I'm by no means an expert on the language. I studied Japanese in school for quite a while (earning both an undergraduate and graduate degree in it), but I haven't used it for a few years, so my skills have decayed (exponentially!).

Anyways, if you don't have an enormous amount of will-power/self-discipline, then probably the best bet to learning the language would be to take classes, either at school or privately. If you take classes (at school), you'll likely spend a lot of time in a course structure that probably focuses equally on listening/speaking and reading/writing... and likely on material that doesn't really interest you. Private classes could be expensive but (given a cool instructor) you could really tailor your learning how you want.

If you're really learning the language specifically for playing JP-only RPGs, then you'd obviously want to focus primarily on reading... and if you DO have the will-power/self-discipline/motivation, you can probably just study on your own. (I don't think even I would've had enough, honestly!) I'd start by practicing/learning the kana (Hiragana and Katakana) first, and as you begin to get more comfortable, start learning basic grammar and gradually more and more kanji throughout. (You can NEVER know enough kanji... seriously.) I imagine that there should be some good resources online for this, but I haven't studied Japanese for a few years now, so I don't really know what the best resources available are. Just doing a quick google search now gave me at least one website that seems decent, covering a good amount of kanji & grammar in addition to the usual kana lessons. (Really the only website I used when I was learning was Jim Breen's WWWJDIC... which is (still?) designed primarily for text glossing.)

Once you're set on your kana and grammar (the grammar will probably take quite a WHILE), you can really start to focus more on the kanji. You'd probably/hopefully already have learned (a lot of?) basic kanji by this point, but (IMHO) the best kanji learning books are these:
Basic Kanji
Intermediate Kanji
(those two books are PRICEY, but if you knew all the kanji they have, I think you'd really be decently prepared to tackle the kanji used in most JRPGs.

Anyways.. hope this helps!
And of course, 頑張って!(^^)v
Now Playing: Clash Royale (mobile), Gravity Rush 2, Rayman Legends, Project CARS, Uncharted 4 Survival Mode ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ

Flare Dancer
Member Avatar
I've been trying, but the pronunciation is a pain in the rear. Very unlike English.

Vekoma64
Member Avatar
I found it quite hard but I have a little book of japannease words I wrote from playing Japanese N64 games. I used MK 64 and just wrote down key words like- stereo, mono, option, save load, quit, exit and character names. I get this little book out whenever I play Japanese N64 games and add to it all the time. Not perfect as the resolution can bring problems understanding the characters(letters). Why not download some translation software. I would love to learn Japanese fully but it is very hard.
Nintendo gaming since 1989 WiiU NNID- Vekoma64

Cypher
Member Avatar
Established Member
Thanks for the comments so far guys and especially for the information floorcat that was nice bit of information :) I will give that site you linked when i get home and start looking into the basic grammar right away!

Gooman, I have not heard of rosetta stone i will also check that up when im home :)

I am going to be starting this right from the start i know nothing atm, so it will be one fun adventure!

Thanks for help so far guys! :D
Buy ANY SNES/N64/GAMEBOY/GBC/GBA CIB PAL games So message me.

floorcat
Member Avatar
Nintendo sixty-floorcat :P
Happy to help! ^_^
Keep us posted on how you're getting along... and feel free to ask any other questions - I'll do my best to answer them~! :yeah:
Now Playing: Clash Royale (mobile), Gravity Rush 2, Rayman Legends, Project CARS, Uncharted 4 Survival Mode ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ

« Previous Topic · Social Board · Next Topic »
Add Reply