Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Dream house?
Topic Started: Nov 29 2012, 06:08 PM (3,909 Views)
The Red Shadow
Member Avatar
The Seeker
Scooter made mention of the kind of house he would have if he won a lot of money over in the Dream Job thread and it made me wonder what everyone's dream home would be like if you had mega money. So, let's all be virtual architects and design one.

If I could build the house of my dreams, I have always had a few specific things that would absolutely have to be included. For one, a really awesome game room with every console I love hooked up to their own individual televisions and the games for each displayed proudly on shelving built into the walls. I would also have a separate mini movie theater for watching blu-ray movies and cable television in full theater surround sound. The entire house would have an audio system that was in every room of the place so I could jam to my favorite music anywhere in my home. I would have a master bedroom with a giant bed on an upper floor and a huge bathroom with a walk-in shower, sauna and hot tub. My daughter would have her very own room with all of the things that she loves most. I would have a library full of books, from all of my favorite authors to an array of old classics, just to make me seem more intelligent. :lol: And I would have a really modern, almost restaurant-like kitchen, complete with a chocolate milk dispenser, like the sort of thing you can find at an all-you-can-eat buffet. Oh, and I'd love to have both a basketball court and regulation sized baseball diamond on the property.

What would you build?

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

floorcat
Member Avatar
Nintendo sixty-floorcat :P
Mine wouldn't really be much different from my house I have right now. ^_^

Except...

I would only want a giant ball-pit. :w00t: :w00t:
Just like those ones you'd make a bee-line into when you were a kid at a McDonald's playland.
(without the McDonalds playland germs, of course!)

Posted Image
Now Playing: Clash Royale (mobile), Gravity Rush 2, Rayman Legends, Project CARS, Uncharted 4 Survival Mode ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ

Vekoma64
Member Avatar
I want a cusutom built house that creates its own energy in the middle of the woods. Ethernet in every room and games rooms full of classic arcade games. Oh and i nice big hidden room in basment for gardeing. It would have to have huge walls and a big KEEP OUT OR ELSE!! sign on the gate. (Thunder & lighting optional)
Edited by Vekoma64, Nov 29 2012, 06:44 PM.
Nintendo gaming since 1989 WiiU NNID- Vekoma64

Mk II
Member Avatar
Elite
thats pretty much what i would build if i had unlimited funds.
i've always wanted a house "buried" in a hillside for insulation and privacy.
Back to the caves!
Posted Image

TNT737373
Member Avatar
Veteran
Vekoma64
Nov 29 2012, 06:43 PM
I want a custom built house that creates its own energy in the middle of the woods.
Glad I'm not the only one, ha yeah I want a house that runs off geothermal energy which is also situated near a water source to pump in and filter water. Unlimited electricity and water, eliminates all utility bills. Getting corporations which you physically rely on off your back is a huge relief. The house would have dark wood accents on the outside like a modern cabin, and then light wood accents on the inside. I feel like it would be a very comfortable space. Last thing is a hot tub on the back porch. I want a total relax zone. For me that's independence and a modernized wooden house with a jacuzzi. haha idk jutst soothes me.

Cabanon
Elite
i'd build an underground nuclear facility under my house hidden from anyone and only me could access via some secret tunnel and passage. i love underground stuff. haha

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
If I had the money I'd probably buy this Silo Home as I think the stuff is about to hit the fan here in the United States. ;)
"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." - Arthur Schopenhauer

Posted Image

DeeMoney
Member Avatar
Outback Adventurer
Vekoma64
Nov 29 2012, 06:43 PM
Oh and i nice big hidden room in basment for gardeing.
This wouldn't be for anything illegal now would it.
Nintendo Network ID - DeeMoney19
PSN Network ID - hallxx81xx
Xbox Live Gamertag - DeeMoney 2K19

Posted Image

Cabanon
Elite
Grizzmeister
Nov 29 2012, 10:03 PM
If I had the money I'd probably buy this Silo Home as I think the stuff is about to hit the fan here in the United States. ;)
that is exactly what i'd do !!! any idea of pricing this beast ? that must be in the millions... who cares lol ?

stinger9142
Member Avatar
Endure and survive...
Alright, spin off topic! Let's just say that I have made dozens of houses I would love to live in playing "The Sims".

I would want a large home in the woods, cabin style! Must have features are a theatre room, and true gaming room with all my consoles hooked up, a nice MMA studio, several hidden rooms, and an indoor pool.

Most importantly, the basement would connect to a bomb shelter of sorts. There would be a large room for all of my weapons. The place would look like it belonged in an army base ;)

Vekoma64
Member Avatar
I can nethier nor confirm or deny this would be the case. This room when the end comes would serve many purposes. :rofl:
Edited by Vekoma64, Nov 30 2012, 06:59 AM.

floorcat
Member Avatar
Nintendo sixty-floorcat :P
Ermmm... am I missing something? Is there really a reason for everyone to be so reclusive/paranoid? Do we all just have this underlying disdain for being physically close to other human beings/strangers? Does everyone actually harbor those crazy sentiments that the apocalypse is going to happen next month?? :blink: :blink:

I used to like being out in the wilderness... I even dreamt of one day living in Tibet or Siberia or someplace like Yosemite. But that was back when I was huge into rock climbing and (further back) alpine skiing/racing. Now (even after living a few years in NYC, and a year in Tokyo) I prefer to live closer to (or in) big cities. Sure, prices are generally higher, but (as far as gaming is concerned) more stuff is available/accessible!! There's big launch/release parties! Swag to be had! Friends to be made! :w00t: And for those few "greener-minded" individuals, it's exponentially more earth-friendly living in the city vs. in the countryside.

If the world's gonna end, who in their right mind would live on for extended periods in their little bubble playing video games?? Eventually your food stores will dry up, or you'll go crazy living in isolation and off of stored grains.

Then again... a house like this would be cool to have, if at least to be able to say "HAY, I live in a glass house AND I throw stones!!"

Posted Image
Posted Image
Now Playing: Clash Royale (mobile), Gravity Rush 2, Rayman Legends, Project CARS, Uncharted 4 Survival Mode ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ

stinger9142
Member Avatar
Endure and survive...
Well I don't believe it is ending next month, but I am a prepper of sorts. I have for years stock piled weapons, ammo, first aid supplies, survival essentials, silver, and food. I feel the need to prepare for civil unrest and big government take over. Call me crazy, but I feel those are imminent realities. So long story shot, if I was designing a house - it would serve that purpose as well. I prefer country living. I don't mind people, I just prefer privacy and small social circles. Large crowds make me nervous and paranoid.

SicCooper
Member Avatar
Veteran
I have been thinking about this a LOT recently, so its weird that a topic shows up about it.

I would love to live in Kirkland Washington, close to where my grandma lives. She lives 5 minutes from the city, in a wooded area, but its not like its secluded. She has neighbors, down the road is the fire station, a gas station, and a mini mart, etc. I love visiting there. Her house is amazing, and I have always loved it.

I would ideally like to plan / build my own house one day. I would like a house with a 2nd story, and also a large basement. The basement would only be accessible by a secret passageway similar to this:

Posted Image

There would also be a hidden elevator type thing on the outside of the house that goes down to the basement to make moving in furniture and arcade cabinets easier :) (similar to the one near the end of Shaun Of The Dead in the basement of the winchester)

The basement would be pretty large, and would also have its own mini kitchen and bathroom for those long game nights. Multiple TVs with all my game systems hooked up, also a very large (80+ inch) TV for movies and modern consoles. Tons of shelving for my collection, and I would love to have signs by then for all the collections that could be placed above the collections. So far I have PS1, PS2, and N64. a huge line of arcade games, and a nice sectional couch.

I'd also like a spiral staircase from the ground floor to the 2nd floor, that also has a slide wrapping around it like this:

Posted Image

I also really like the idea of part of the 2nd floor being a loft that over sees a living room on the ground floor. then also have a 2nd loft opposite the first on the other side of the room that is only accessible by a ladder that is pushed into the wall. This 2nd loft would also be pushed into the wall, I hope that makes sense, and would have other rooms under it.

My last idea is to have a large building, almost like a barn mixed with an air hanger, that would have olympic style trampolines, tumble tracks, mats, pads, and foam pits, along with obstacles and bars to train. (in case you guys didn't know, I train Parkour and free running all the time)

Posted Image

Vekoma64
Member Avatar
I do not think the world will end but at the same time I would not be suprised if did they way we treat it. The option of mass privcy and not sharing my space is kind of the way I am but I too cherish the lights and sounds of the city but not to live only to visit. I agree that playing games will be the last thing on your mind if it did happen and you did survive but I would still find the time to game I would hope.

Them houses are lush and I love the stairs that lift and the slide rocks!

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
floorcat
Nov 30 2012, 12:28 PM
Does everyone actually harbor those crazy sentiments that the apocalypse is going to happen next month?? :blink: :blink:
Of course not, the apocalypse isn't going to happen next month. It's going to happen in January of 2013 when we take a swan dive off the fiscal cliff.
"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." - Arthur Schopenhauer

Posted Image

Norcal
Member Avatar

I have my dream house all planned out. Floor by floor. Every detail. You could say i've thought about it before :D .

I'll probably never be able to afford it though, unless I become a multi millionaire somehow.
Posted Image

Matt
Member Avatar
Kick, Punch, It's all in the mind
I wouldn't want a house that was huge and so big you couldn't use every room, however I'd want some that would provide me with everything I want
Would need to have
Game Room (Complete Arcade with a few games I enjoy a lot, for example Time Crisis, SSFIV, BlazBlue, MvC, I would also have a custom arcade cabinet using hyper spin or similar built, a 30" TV or so for new consoles and a CRT monitor for older consoles, a complete LAN set up with popular PC games per installed)
Music Studio
Living Room (Around 65" TV, Currently have a 60" but I feel once you get to a certain size it starts to lose its enjoyment)
Bedrooms (Enough Bedrooms to have enough room for future family, along with some guest rooms)
I'd prefer to be isolated as far away from other people as possible
Posted Image

RodneyP
Member Avatar
Gothic mansion Ó la Resident Evil.

Sitting in elevated position overlooking a nearby city one way and rolling countryside the other - great views are a must. Wood-paneled rooms, towering bookcases, antiquities by the truckload. Heating and electricity supplies fully modernised and efficient as possible. Secret staircases are not essential but the character of the place would keep you looking for them.

I'm not overly security conscious... but if I had a place like that with the finances to match I'd probably dig a moat!

This would be ideal http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/tyntesfield/

stinger9142
Member Avatar
Endure and survive...
The RE reference got me thinking how cool it would be to have themed rooms. I am thinking bedrooms: Mario themed, Fallout themed, Perfect Dark or Goldeneye themed. A RE themed dining room area. A Zelda themed living room. That would be awesome.

I doubt I could get my wife to ever go for that though ;)

DeeMoney
Member Avatar
Outback Adventurer
hahahahaha that sounds awesome Stinger. Yeah I think my wife would just laugh at me too about that if I ever suggested it. But then they'll go and throw candles and throw rugs and pillows all over everything.
Nintendo Network ID - DeeMoney19
PSN Network ID - hallxx81xx
Xbox Live Gamertag - DeeMoney 2K19

Posted Image

towin
Member Avatar
i would have a room of which the floor and ceiling and walls are made of trampoline material
link: he has bombs but still needs keys to open locked doors

Phantom
Member Avatar
Veteran
Id Have A Massive House By The Beach With A Room Filled With Mattresses And Pillows And stuff With A massive TV On The Wall For A Gaming Room, It Would Need A Home Theatre, And A Pool X_D

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
After my recent trip to the Charleston area of West Virginia I've changed my mind about my dream house. Here's my latest vision.

First I'd buy about 40 acres in or around Lincoln County, WV making sure that the land has a good water supply and that the land perks properly for septic. Then I'd place four modular prefabricated homes of about 1,500 sq ft on the land. The beauty of modular homes is that they're built to exacting standards in a giant warehouse and then shipped to their final destination. Now here in the US its become standard practice to make walls out of 2" x 4" pieces of lumber but I'd choose to go with 2 x 6's instead for better insulation. For siding I'd opt for the ubiquitous vinyl and for the roofs I'm tempted to go with steel. :o

Inside these modulars I'd lay out 3 bedrooms and 2 baths. Instead of using granite counter tops and stainless steel appliances which have become passÚ I'd instead spend my money on high toilets (16 inches which is easier on the knees) and handrails throughout. Why handrails? Because as our population continues to get older here in America that's the kind of feature that is going to become much more desirable as the years go by. Consider that in a country of roughly 315 million nearly 70 million people are over the age of 48 and it becomes painfully clear why handrails will soon be considered near necessities going forward.

Flooring? In these modular homes I'd use bamboo flooring as opposed to hardwood. Why? Well, because bamboo is literally a weed which grows very quickly and my goal would be geared towards making my four houses as environmentally friendly as possibly.

Just give me a like if you're interested in reading more about this vision and I'll post up many more details as have the whole thing mapped out in my mind's eye. Who knows, maybe I'll even act on it some day. X_D

Posted Image

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
Thanks for letting me know you're interested. :yeah:

Many people would probably consider my present residence a "dream home"...

Posted Image

... but the reality is that given the current economic conditions in the US its just too big. At 2,100 square feet it represents too much area to heat and cool. Also, taxes and insurance rates are going up across the whole country to make up for deficits. In this economic environment large houses no longer make sense especially now that our planet has over 7,000,000,000 people on it. :o

It's time to think small and while my ambition of 1,500 sq. ft. isn't tiny it does represent a much more reasonable environmental footprint. But why four houses? Because two of my best friends upon hearing my plan became so excited that they said they want the same exact house as mine and in a similar area. Hey, if I'm gonna build a house for the future for myself and the lovely Mrs. Grizzmeister then why not benefit from the economy of scales and build a few more on the same 40 acre plot of land. Oh, that last house would be for my in-laws as they're looking to downsize also.

It's almost midnight so I'm gonna try to get some sleep but I'll probably pick back up on this tomorrow. I have much more to share and some of you in other countries may find it interesting to help you gain insight as to what's really going on here in America in the aftermath of the bursting of the "Housing Bubble". No it hasn't turned in to a dystopian hellscape here yet but then again many Americans are having trouble coming to grips with the fact that our nation is nearly $17,000,000,000,000 in debt and what that's going to mean for the future. :phear:

Posted Image

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
I've always been a fan of the Japanese culture and one of the things I really like most about the Japanese people is their sincere appreciation of nature. For this reason I'd like my dream community to be as environmentally friendly as possible. Of course given the fact that energy prices look to remain high going in to the foreseeable future I'd want to use the best form of insulation to conserve on heating in the winter and air conditioning in the summer. The latter is particularly important if the scientists are right and all the gases humans are pumping in to the air are causing climate change (i.e. global warming). What's more environmentally friendly than recycling paper? Nothing I can think of and for that reason I'd use FiberGreen to insulate my dream homes. :D

Posted Image

buddy1983
Member Avatar
Veteran
At the moment ANY house would be my dream house, living in a small flat with my wife and 8 month old is starting to get me down. No room for anything which means my game collecting is on hold :angry:
Youtube

Wii U user name: Read1ngFC (thats a one and not a i)

Switch friend code SW-4595-4819-7191

UK resident

Posted Image

I'm currently playiing triangle in a reggae band. I just stand in the back and Ting

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
buddy1983
Jul 9 2013, 02:28 AM
At the moment ANY house would be my dream house, living in a small flat with my wife and 8 month old is starting to get me down. No room for anything which means my game collecting is on hold :angry:
For the house I live in now I pay $2,600 a year in taxes and $800 anually on insurance. Since my State of North Carolina is broke and can't meet its Medicare/Medicaid obligation it's likely that both of those will be going up.

So the irony is that while a house may provide you more space to store your collectibles, the monetary burden to afford that house will likely rob you of the time and extra cash to indulge your hobby. :blink:

As I said in one of my previous post, it's time to think small.

Posted Image

CoachLuke22
Member Avatar
My dream house would be a 1 story 3-4 bedroom house with a nice big garage. Preferably 3-4 car garage. I would like maybe 50-60 acres also. One of the bedrooms would be changed into a "man" room for my guns and mounted animals. It must have a gameroom(goes without sayin).

A detached garage/shop would be nice for all my project cars and bikes.

Thats all for now
N.A. Consoles - 7/9
N.A. Controllers CIB - 8/8
N.A. Carts - 76/296

Nintendo Power Controllers - Nintendo Power 100, DK64, Millennium 2000

buddy1983
Member Avatar
Veteran
Quote:

As I said in one of my previous post, it's time to think small.

there's small and then there's were I currently live :lol: I one bedroom flat is too small for a family. I guess paying more will be worth so my daughter has her own space :yeah:
Youtube

Wii U user name: Read1ngFC (thats a one and not a i)

Switch friend code SW-4595-4819-7191

UK resident

Posted Image

I'm currently playiing triangle in a reggae band. I just stand in the back and Ting

ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Create your own social network with a free forum.
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Social Board · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: