Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Do Funtastic consoles have better video display?; MegaMania has pics to prove it!
Topic Started: Dec 4 2012, 10:26 PM (39,297 Views)
Cabanon
Elite
yup, the bottom is clear white
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Turok81
Member Avatar
Ok, thanks for clearing that up. I'm kind of kicking myself now because I actually had one of those (Clear Blue) that I got used along with some other stuff, and it was in mint condition too. But unfortunately I sold it a long time ago. Never ocurred to me then to check if there was a difference in video output.

andyk2003
Member Avatar
Established Member
Just to further clarify that the N64's modded RGB output is the same across all console revisions, including funtastics:

From Marshall (creator of the UltraHDMI):

"The RCP / VI output that goes into any DAC will always be the same, regardless of the motherboard. All N64s have the same RCP silicon. So you will get the same result no matter what N64 you install eviltim's dac onto.

The difference in video output comes from the DAC, which you are bypassing/installing your own with the mod."
My CRT thread:

italia64
Member Avatar
Veteran
Guys, I recorded the clear difference. Charcoal Grey and Fire Orange images have been taken in the same moment, so with 100% parameters being the same with the image capture software settings. The only thing different is the console, as you can see the Funtastic is clearly superior.

I recorded the S-Video image today. so maybe parameters aren't the same in terms of lights and colors, but in order to understand the S-Video superiority I think it's sufficient.

Charcoal Grey (PAL)
Posted Image

Funtastic - Fire Orange (PAL)
Posted Image

S-Video (PAL)
Posted Image

Funtastic (left) vs. Charcoal Grey (right)
Posted Image
Edited by italia64, Sep 4 2017, 12:20 PM.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image

retro4ever
@italia64: going by these pictures i think S video has a richer color palette and resolution. compare the red circle; it's really spectacular.

what S video cable did you use? the one from consolegoods?

italia64
Member Avatar
Veteran
retro4ever
Sep 5 2017, 05:10 AM
going by these pictures i think S video has a richer color palette and resolution. compare the red circle; it's really spectacular.

what S video cable did you use? the one from consolegoods?
Exactly, cheap and a very good product. I recommend it for PAL consoles.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image

bluedogrulez
Member Avatar
Racing for Fulcon Capital
Finally video proof of what I've been talking about for years...thank you!!! Italia what morherboard revision do you have in that fire orange console (based upon serial number)?
Switch Friend Code: SW-0786-9287-1202 (bluedogBDR)
MK8Deluxe Tourney: N64Forever.com 2332-7277-8283
Nintendo Network ID: BDR2010 / Twitter: @bluedogrulez
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

italia64
Member Avatar
Veteran
Here's the number boss

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image

bluedogrulez
Member Avatar
@italia...interesting....that serial number corresponds with NUS-CPU(P)-02. In the States, I think the better images started with CPU-05; did not know about Europe, which appears to have far fewer motherboard revisions.

The main chips in this unit appear to match up with those used in US motherboard versions CPU-06 through CPU-09 (the RDRAM36-NUS being the new addition).

source: Mega Mania's brilliant list.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

darkado
Member Avatar
so, If I got read the thread right, Clear Blue PAL has better video and works with consolegoods s-video cable? That's probably why I thought composite looks great on a clear blue. I used a pvm and attributed great picture to it but it looks like the console itself might have something to do with it too.

I have both clear blue and ice blue pal consoles and a launch jap console. I might be able to put together a pretty good test.

bluedogrulez
Member Avatar
@darkado: please post your findings! Iím guessing Ice>Clear>Launch.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

ItalianBaptist
Member Avatar
I think this question has already been answered, but the funtastic finds would also apply to the Pikachu consoles, yes? The one I imported from Japan is reading at least one cartridge better than my original.
It must be exciting to never have played a Zelda game before - No64DD

ultimateman
Hi all! I'm new to these forums but I'm a videophile who recently acquired a Jungle Green based on the recommendations here. I can say that I definitely noticed an increase in image quality, de-blur if you will, when using the green vs. the standard grey N64. I am currently using a finely calibrated Sony KV-27FV310 CRT television, which is known here in the states as the best consumer-grade CRT ever made. I'm connecting via s-video using a high-quality 3rd party Monster brand like the one here: https://www.amazon.com/Monster-GCGL300-SV-10-GameCube-S-Video/dp/B000092WZ2/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

As soon as I'm able, I plan on posting comparison pictures between the standard vs. the Jungle Green N64s. In the meantime, I wanted to say thanks for the recommendation as I'm definitely enjoying the upgrade in image quality so far!
Edited by ultimateman, Feb 5 2018, 02:25 PM.

darkado
Member Avatar
Just got my consolegoods s-video cable, trying it out on pvm right now.

darkado
Member Avatar
I'm sorry for double posting but here are my findings.
Clear blue, no s-video output.
Ice blue, pretty good s-video, not that much better than composite on a pvm.
Charcoal grey (RGB moddable NUS-001(FRA)), no s-video output.

I must say that I am suprised by lack of output on the RGB moddable console. I did not try the launch asian n64 since the cable is labeled as PAL on consolegoods store.

OT: While fiddling with the settings, the up arrow button on my pvm broke. It's 99% setup for a great picture but I would like just a little more contrast. Does anyone know how to fix that button?

jonathancutt
I scored a really good condition Smoke Grey NTSC-U console for about $40 USD today. Has NUS-CPU-08-1 board in it so the analog video should be better. I might try it out later.

« Previous Topic · Nintendo 64 Guides, FAQs, and Information · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: