Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Do Funtastic consoles have better video display?; MegaMania has pics to prove it!
Topic Started: Dec 4 2012, 10:26 PM (41,806 Views)
Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
So these tests have been conducted with a standard composite cable, huh? If testing was done with a SCART I might be tempted to conclude that the Funtastic models possibly support RGB. That might also explain why no one with an NTSC model ever noticed.

What I'd probably do next is open up a standard charcoal N64 and read the numbers off of the Graphics Processing Unit and then do the same thing on a Funtastic which outputs the sharper image. I say this because the GPU is probably the component most responsible for the variance in picture quality. It might be easier to find a common GPU that is the source of the crisper image than determining commonality by the serial numbers on the case.

As I'm sleep deprived this might be a completely ridiculous hypothesis so please take it with a grain of salt. :blink:
"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." - Arthur Schopenhauer

Posted Image
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
Mega Mania
Dec 7 2012, 08:47 AM
Is Link83 a member on this forum? If not he should be. This guy has done an incredible amount of research in to the N64 motherboard and its components. Here on Nintendo 64 Forever we strive to have only the best and brightest minds providing information to the N64 cognoscenti and Link83 certainly meets that criteria.
"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." - Arthur Schopenhauer

Posted Image

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
What type of cable are you going to use, bluedog? Composite or S-Video?

This is a pretty important topic for our community as it speaks to the biggest hurdle facing the N64 going forward, and that is finding a way to keep the actual console playable in the era of Hi-Def television sets.

Posted Image

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
bluedogrulez
Dec 10 2012, 10:40 PM
I should be getting my funtastic console soon and will report back.
I'm very interested in reading your findings! Nothing I enjoy better than seeing someone use the scientific method of forming a hypothesis, conducting experiments and then drawing a conclusion from the results.

Right now I'm keeping my fingers crossed hoping you see an appreciably better picture out of your Funtastic N64. ;)

Posted Image

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
Thank you for all that information, Link83! Also, welcome to our humble forum! It's an honor to have someone so knowledgeable about the N64 hardware join our community. :w00t:

Posted Image

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
I wish I had a Funtastic console to try this out myself. :(

I'd vigorously test it with Mario Kart 64, Wave Race 64, Super Smash Bros. and Turok Rage Wars as I've played those games so much I'd immediately notice any difference.

Posted Image

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
flmadness
Apr 24 2013, 10:39 AM
wow, i had no idea about this! Thanks for the info!
There's a wealth of information buried deep within the bowels of N64 Forever and it's nice when these tidbits of information occasionally rise to the surface.

Posted Image

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
Quote:

The system [N64] allows for video output in two formats: composite video and S-Video. The composite and S-Video cables are the same as those used with the earlier SNES and later GameCube systems.
Source

I just did a stare and compare session using both composite and S-Video on my Toshiba 20 inch CRT. The picture quality, to my eyes at least, does look sharper with better color separation when I use the S-Video connector. From this admittedly unscientific test I can only conclude that that my NTSC charcoal model N64 does indeed support S-Video output.

Posted Image

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
They've gotten rather pricey as of late but the best S-Video cable to use with the N64 is the one manufactured by Monster. Their cable is thick and very well shielded thus providing the best picture and sound quality.

You'll easily recognize the Monster S-Video cable which is also compatible with the SNES and GameCube because of its distinctive purple color. :yeah:

Posted Image

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
The S-Video cable makes for a noticeable improvement on my 20 inch CRT so I'm sure you'll be satisfied, Andy. :yeah:

Posted Image

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
RGB Modded Nintendo 64 Explained

Even though I love the N64, this seems like way too much trouble to me. I'll just stick with S-Video.

Posted Image

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
Thank you for your blunt honesty about the UltraHDMI mod, Roboplodicus! :yeah:

Posted Image

« Previous Topic · Nintendo 64 Guides, FAQs, and Information · Next Topic »
Add Reply