Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Do Funtastic consoles have better video display?; MegaMania has pics to prove it!
Topic Started: Dec 4 2012, 10:26 PM (41,678 Views)
finngamer
Member Avatar
Established Member
Like I've discussed with Mega Mania on a finnish forum, I actually noticed this years ago with tests done on two regular consoles and two funtastic consoles. It's absolute fact, that the funtastic ones look better, all the murkiness of the graphics is gone. The pictures above don't necessarily do it justice, the picture is better full stop.

I've been meaning to do a bigger test with all my consoles for a long time, but have been postponing it, and couldn't have gone "public" with the info. :) It's funny, no one didn't seem to know this. And even Nintendo did not advertise this when the consoles came out, which is crazy considering how clear the difference is. It's natural for a console manufacturer change the components inside the machine when time goes by, but this is the biggest improvement that any console has gone through, and all without changing the video cable.

When I first talked about this in Finland someone said that their funtastic didn't show any improvement. Assuming he saw correctly, it's possible all funtastics did not have the same innards. Maybe Nintendo still used up the old parts with the first funtastics?

I now have all my consoles taken out of their boxes, hopefully I'll soon have the time to test out every color, marking down any differences tied down to their serial number. This should give a good overview on when the superior video started.

I can only talk about European consoles though, hopefully someone in North America can do the same with their full funtastic set.
Edited by finngamer, Dec 6 2012, 05:03 AM.
The Collection: List , Video
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

finngamer
Member Avatar
Established Member
And done. Not quite conclusive, but still some nice data.

I tested all my 12 PAL consoles with Goldeneye. Here are the colors, serials and picture qualities:

Charcoal, NUP10414657, bad
Charcoal, NUP13881647, bad
Pokemon, NUP15742019, bad
Grape Purple, NUP16060024, good
Jungle Green, NUP16085491, good
Smoke Black, NUP16122646, good
Ice Blue, NUP16143699, bad
Jungle Green, NUP16237979, good
Watermelon Red, NUP16315707, good
Fire Orange, NUP16339442, good
Clear Blue, NUP16748999, good
Pikachu, NUP16476127, good

Clearly the vast majority of Funtastics have the better innards, but that pesky Ice Blue there in the middle denies us clear data. There may not be any rule which consoles have the better output, but at least it would take really bad luck to get one if you get a Funtastic.

Still, it was nice to see that the newer consoles also had better output, as in Clear Blue and Pikachu. Does anyone know how long the regular Charcoal was in production, was it sold alongside the Funtastics or did they replace the older colors altogether?

Reminder, so far this applies only to PAL consoles, I don't have sufficient JAP or USA consoles to make good tests.
Edited by finngamer, Dec 6 2012, 03:19 PM.

finngamer
Member Avatar
Established Member
Grizzmeister
Dec 6 2012, 09:24 PM
So these tests have been conducted with a standard composite cable, huh? If testing was done with a SCART I might be tempted to conclude that the Funtastic models possibly support RGB. That might also explain why no one with an NTSC model ever noticed.
I used the standard cable that came with the machines over here, a composite cable with a SCART connector. SCART is just the name for the connector, it's still composite if the cables are composite, and it's RGB if the cable is RGB.

Posted Image
bluedogrulez
Dec 6 2012, 07:34 PM
Dumb question time: Finn, do all of your consoles have the same model #? I'm guessing yes, but curious nevertheless....
Sorry, what number is that? Or the chip number you mentioned later?
Edited by finngamer, Dec 8 2012, 05:07 AM.

finngamer
Member Avatar
Established Member
bluedogrulez
Dec 8 2012, 06:14 AM
finngamer
Dec 8 2012, 05:04 AM

bluedogrulez
Dec 6 2012, 07:34 PM
Dumb question time: Finn, do all of your consoles have the same model #? I'm guessing yes, but curious nevertheless....
Sorry, what number is that? Or the chip number you mentioned later?
On NTSC consoles, there is a Model Number on a gray sticker above the expansion slot on the bottom side. On my gray consoles and the jungle green funtastic I just bought, the Model number is NUS-001(USA).
Oh, they all are 001, except for Pikachu which is 101.

ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Create your own social network with a free forum.
Learn More · Register for Free
« Previous Topic · Nintendo 64 Guides, FAQs, and Information · Next Topic »
Add Reply