Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Do Funtastic consoles have better video display?; MegaMania has pics to prove it!
Topic Started: Dec 4 2012, 10:26 PM (43,528 Views)
Mega Mania
More specifically: Reportedly, NOT all N64 Colored produce better image quality. Some Funtastic consoles are the same on the inside as the original Gray console.

First time I heard about it in Finnish game-forum. I got interested to do this N64 Gray vs. Colored comparison.

I was searching Google search but not found better N64 console discussions. That's why I want tell N64 fans.

Interested to know whether also how NTSC USA and Japan Colored consoles.

If you have, please send your the serial number (NUP), what colour, PAL, USA or Japan console, and the image quality is BETTER or NOT. As is known from the serial numbers from the "better" start consoles.
Edited by Mega Mania, Dec 5 2012, 10:05 AM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Mega Mania
R3dfi3lD
Dec 5 2012, 11:49 AM
It seems like a composite vs a s-video. :huh:
I tested both same composite cable (I don't have S-video cable) and is not used in the Expansion Pak (using Jumper Pak, both same yes).
Edited by Mega Mania, Dec 5 2012, 12:09 PM.

Mega Mania
USA-console has a 9-serial numbers and start NS, in Japan NUJ and in Europe NUP. Japan and Europe 8-serial numbers.

First pic: USA console
Second pic: Japan console

Posted Image
Posted Image
Edited by Mega Mania, Dec 6 2012, 01:29 PM.

Mega Mania
Thanks, finngamer!

Here is something... http://forums.modretro.com/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=1417

Mega Mania
Mega Mania
Dec 7 2012, 08:47 AM
My NUP 16111072 (Eur. PAL) for the reads NUS-CPU(P)-02. TIP: In the power supply "hole" (console) and see from different angles until you can be found by searching.

USA and Japan since 1998 models are: NUS-CPU-06, NUS-CPU-07, NUS-CPU-08, NUS-CPU-08-1, NUS-CPU-09 and latest NUS-CPU-09-1. These models SHOULD have better image quality(?), when the Main Chips is the same as (European better image) NUS-CPU(P)-02.
Main Chips:
CPU-NUS A
RCP-NUS
RDRAM36-NUS
MAV-NUS
AMP-NUS

Mega Mania
Link83
Dec 16 2012, 10:09 AM
If you want to test the image quality of an N64 you really need to use a good old CRT TV, at least for testing purposes.
I can make testing with CRT tv. Pictures coming weekend or next week! :)

I've been playing Gray & Colored N64 with CRT tv, about 5 years ago. I noticed sharper image in CRT tv.

Mega Mania
Testing with CRT TV, Tv brand is Salora, "21. Sharpness adjustment/setting both are 0%. Cable and Jumper Pak used the same for both.

Posted Image

Mega Mania
Z890
Dec 27 2012, 02:33 PM
@mega mania,

if you increase your TV sharpness for the grey console, I wonder if that makes the exact same image quality as the colour console (sharpness on tv set to normal)?
If I add sharpness 50% in tv, yes see the difference. Perhaps less than sharpness 0%.

Mega Mania
Good know! :applause:

Edit: it would be nice to see the pictures.
Edited by Mega Mania, Feb 6 2013, 01:30 PM.

Mega Mania
I tested on my USA Ice Blue console and Japan gray console, I wanted to see the image quality differences. It was strangely Gray that had better picture quality! :eh:

USA console Serial Number: NS 294329436
Japan console Serial Number: NUJ 11861562

1. picture USA Ice Blue console
2. picture Japan Gray console

Posted Image
Posted Image
Edited by Mega Mania, Dec 27 2013, 09:29 AM.

Mega Mania
Mega Mania
Dec 27 2013, 09:28 AM
I tested on my USA Ice Blue console and Japan gray console, I wanted to see the image quality differences. It was strangely Gray that had better picture quality! :eh:
More info from my USA Ice Blue console. CPU is NUS-CPU-09-1, it is the latest version. Bad luck when the picture quality is not sharper.

Mega Mania
thatguyontheright1
Oct 4 2014, 04:07 PM
Good job! Youtube's first funtastic versus video. :yeah:

Mega Mania
@thatguyontheright1, I sent a PM-message.

Mega Mania
I look forward to when something information about from Japanese console. :)

Does anyone know of a video/retro game forums in Japan? The language of English or Japanese.

DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · Nintendo 64 Guides, FAQs, and Information · Next Topic »
Add Reply