Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Do Funtastic consoles have better video display?; MegaMania has pics to prove it!
Topic Started: Dec 4 2012, 10:26 PM (39,221 Views)
Welshbie
I came across this thread a while ago, and I have to admit I was curious. I didn't know the system had so many revisions, doesn't seem to be viable from a business sense, if Nintendo wanted to be cost effective, then having various motherboards, chips, components and so on, is not usually the way to go about it. >.>

Anyway when I heard the coloured consoles with the NUS-CPU(P)-02 = MAV-NUS ran more stable than those older units with the charcoal grey exteriors I then wanted to try this out for myself.

Today I received in the post a Grape Purple funtastic PAL console (NUS 16056317). Plugged in my modified PAL S-video cable courtesy of Consolegoods.co.uk, and it plays... wonderfully.

I tested it out on games like Rayman 2. The graphics on the games have improved more than I thought they would, that horrible "fuzzy chequered pattern" that randomly appears on some surfaces/models/textures/sprites is gone. And good riddance to it too. ^____^

My only concern is the label underneath the console which states "NUS-001 (EUR)" and "(NUS-UKV-1)", shouldn't it be NUS-002 or something since its a later version? Or do they all have that for PAL? :/
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Welshbie
@shadow, well, I've had a few more surprises and disappointments with other tested N64 games that do and don't require the expansion pak since I last posted, perhaps I shouldn't have been so eager and researched more...

I use the modified PAL s-video, plugged into a Panasonic DMR-ES10 DVD recorder, since its the only thing I have available with s-video inputs, connected via RGB scart cables into a Schneider CRT TV set (capable of 50/60hz no problem) but has no s-video ports only RGB scarts and plays Super Nintendo and NGC games perfectly.

With the Funtastic console compared to my old charcoal grey unit (NUP-13413792), its an overall sharper, cleaner, picture. The "weird color burst phases" (dot crawl) that randomly occur whenever certain shades of brown, green and blue are on display, are thankfully rarer, but can, and still do occur. (:cussfit:) ~_~

The text and menus, they all look gorgeous, like I'm playing a 60Hz port on a GameCube. But there's still a really weird graphical interference that occurs, a hazy "dotted grid" that appears at random, it looks 'sorta' like this:

http://i.istockimg.com/file_thumbview_approve/2969712/2/stock-photo-2969712-corrugated-cardboard-edge-view.jpg

Just what is causing that? ~_~

Welshbie
@Z890

My PAL Funtastic console is giving a slightly sharper picture in comparison to my older charcoal grey console with just composite cables. Its not much, but with composite's inherent quality being so ridiculously low to start with, it makes a notable difference on the TV screen.

With S-video... *sigh* I honestly don't know either way, the screen tearing issue is still occurring, especially on good-looking games like Rayman 2. Its not interference from wi-fi, modems, printers. Its not dirty cartridges, or loose connections. Having other devices off or on makes no difference, the cable from console goods is quite thick, so its obviously shielded which is a great plus.

The PAL s-video cable from console goods combines with composite (video) as well, this is a non-issue as I discovered as pulling out the yellow cable makes no difference to the quality of the signal, but removing the S-video cable results in an obvious huge drop in sharpness.

Its more than likely an issue with the Panasonic DVD player I'm using since the TV can't take s-video directly, just RGB scart or composite. The player is defaulted to PAL and to disable progressive scan, whether or not that's a good thing considering the N64 is an older console is open to debate. Should I try changing it to NTSC??? I tried to change its input functions for it to take s-video only on av channels, but that just causes the picture to go monochrome, and then, cancelling the menu after that, results in a total loss of picture and sound unless I go back into the functions, revert back to its rgb signal (without component) factory default.

Welshbie
@Z890 mine's Grape Purple.

DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · Nintendo 64 Guides, FAQs, and Information · Next Topic »
Add Reply