Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Do Funtastic consoles have better video display?; MegaMania has pics to prove it!
Topic Started: Dec 4 2012, 10:26 PM (39,301 Views)
Travii
Member Avatar
I did a test using two PAL consoles. 1 Funtastic Purple & 1 charcoal.
My charcoal console is my usual console and it is connected using the consolegoods.co.uk PAL S-Video cable. I cannot recommend this highly enough if you have a PAL Aussie/UK charcoal console you NEED to get this cable.

In this little test I connected both consoles using genuine PAL composite leads to a switcher and had both running Ocarina of Time at the same time I could keep switching extremely fast between the two. There is a very noticeable difference - another person who was with me stated the Purple was easily the better picture.

Running s-video there was no noticeable difference as other have said. After this I opened them up & put the funtastic board in my charcoal console 'cause that's my main console... just in case I take it to a mate's & have to use composite I know it will look better. ^_^

If you didn't have a funtastic machine, it would be cheaper to just order an s-video cable imho.

Posted Image
andykara2003
Sep 5 2014, 02:08 PM
Any kind of composite or s-video output is never going to compare to a pure RGB signal.
EVERYTHING this guy said. RGB rocks.

I live in Australia & went out of my way to get a European LCD for my lounge (Philips with RGB / VGA / hdmi / s-video)
I'm planning on getting on RGB modded N64 to run on the big screen :) I use the CRT I have because it's a decent one from the transition to flatscreen with component & s-video inputs too. but there's a myth that so many spout about composite + CRT being the best way to enjoy old games when that's BS. I think you are probably more concerned than most about image quality - it's people like you though who spread the word about how good these games CAN look.

I see massive collections worth an obscene amount on YouTube with a cheap chinese composite switcher on a crap telly. I'd be redirecting some $ to upgrading my image...
Edited by Travii, Sep 22 2014, 09:40 AM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

« Previous Topic · Nintendo 64 Guides, FAQs, and Information · Next Topic »
Add Reply