Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Do Funtastic consoles have better video display?; MegaMania has pics to prove it!
Topic Started: Dec 4 2012, 10:26 PM (41,617 Views)
MadBullBunny
Just read this topic the other day and I'm going to report back with my findings. I just bought an OEM Nintendo S-video cable from ebay($46/will take a couple weeks to receive) and I have 2 grey N64s from USA. One console has NUS-CPU-04 board and the other has NUS-CPU-09(the latest revision aside from the Toys-r-us gold version). I currently do have a third party S-video cable, but I also want to test if this third party is just as good as OEM. My Third party s-video is from innovation(no yellow composite with it) which from my research is the best you can get aside from the expensive Monster/OEM cable. I'll take some good pictures with my lumia 1520 to show the differences between the models if any and also between composite/third party s-video/OEM s-video. Also just to add in there, I'll take pictures of actual games playing and games playing from ED64 to see if there is a difference in quality that way.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

MadBullBunny
MadBullBunny
Apr 3 2014, 04:40 PM
Just read this topic the other day and I'm going to report back with my findings. I just bought an OEM Nintendo S-video cable from ebay($46/will take a couple weeks to receive) and I have 2 grey N64s from USA. One console has NUS-CPU-04 board and the other has NUS-CPU-09(the latest revision aside from the Toys-r-us gold version). I currently do have a third party S-video cable, but I also want to test if this third party is just as good as OEM. My Third party s-video is from innovation(no yellow composite with it) which from my research is the best you can get aside from the expensive Monster/OEM cable. I'll take some good pictures with my lumia 1520 to show the differences between the models if any and also between composite/third party s-video/OEM s-video. Also just to add in there, I'll take pictures of actual games playing and games playing from ED64 to see if there is a difference in quality that way.
Got in my S-video the other day, just now got around to testing out the few cables and both my consoles out. Sadly, my camera doesn't like my tv and won't take pictures of it correctly. Might try to mess with it more later, but I can report my findings.

My old and newest console performed the same. No difference at all in graphics quality. I even compared it with OPs pics of mario and they both look like the "grey version" of his pics. This would lead me to believe Nintendo left something out with some of the colored consoles to give it the sharp effect and not the blended effect the grey ones have. As another person stated, the blended textures were Nintendo's intentions, not the sharp look the the colored N64s seem to have. I do like the sharp look better, hopefully we can get down to the bottom of this.

ED64 just loads faster, no really performance increase that I could tell of in terms on FPS even on both consoles. You would think through the years the quality would have got better with hardware changes, but with my 03 and 09 motherboard revision they perform exactly a like.

Now the cables, OEM S-video looks the best by far and definitely worth the $46 for me at least.
- Composite isn't nearly as crisp as the two S-video, but would be fine for someone who isn't too picky
- Third party S-video (the correct one without the yellow VGA) is crisp as OEM, but the "checkering" definitely ruins quality a bit. I compared my checkering to other third party S-video cables and it isn't as bad as some, but its still there and for awhile I thought that was just how s-video would be. Also could just be me but colors felt a tad bit dark compared to both OEM cables.
- OEM S-video gets you the crisp look and also no checkering what so ever which definitely makes everything more defined over the previous two. I doubt any third party s-video would get this quality aside from the monster cable.
Edited by MadBullBunny, Apr 13 2014, 01:42 PM.

MadBullBunny
Z890
Apr 17 2014, 01:21 PM
Madbullbunny
Quote:

OEM S-video gets you the crisp look and also no checkering

Same as my findings...that s video on grey consoles gives a sharp image (not when using composite though)...in the same way as the coloured consoles do using either s video or composite.

I found that non OEM s video cables work too just as well, but then maybe i have a good source for them that are true s video and shielded well so no checkering. plus you must use the correct s video versions...Pal or ntsc,

regarding a previous post by someone about requesting photos...sorry it really is not easy to show via photos. Even if you get some kind of capture card, seeing the photos online only cause them to upscale so not a true comparison...theres plenty of different people on this thread that you can base your questions on....some conflicting info too but then you can always test it yourself and post on here.
I'm sure there might be some newer third party s-video that will work, but like i said I bought the one everyone else tells you to buy. I read somewhere there is a cable with s-video and yellow composite that are set-up correctly but the s-video still has some checkering. I think if you really want to get best quality, it would just be easier to go with OEM s-video instead of taking chances on buying crap third party.

« Previous Topic · Nintendo 64 Guides, FAQs, and Information · Next Topic »
Add Reply