Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Annual Awards, seeking input
Topic Started: Dec 10 2012, 05:56 PM (1,994 Views)
stinger9142
Member Avatar
Endure and survive...
Often times near years end, many members (myself included) like to do "best of whatever years it is" kind of topics.

We are currently doing a "Nintendo 64 Forever N64 Game of the Year" poll that features our Game of the Month winners for the year. Credit goes to Norcal for the idea :yeah:

Kerr Avon recently started a Game of the year for 2012 for modern games.

So, my question is basically: Do you want to see more of this? I would like for us to have an annual award series of topics.
Obvious polls including:
Nintendo 64 Game of the Year - I want to keep it going as it is this year.
Best game released in that year (all systems)

Other thoughts I have:
Movie of the year
Contributor of the year - Our forum did this a few years ago. I would like to bring it back. I would not want anybody getting their feelings hurt, so I have some ideas about how to do this smoothly. There would be a nomination topic where users would be asked to nominate a single user (non-staff of course). If you back somebody already nominated, state so by nominating them again. The reason being is at he end of the nomination period, the 5 (or so if there is a tie) with the most support would be placed in a poll topic. At the end of the voting, the winner would be crowned our 2012 Contributor of the Year. We have a lot of great members here, and I just feel the need to honor someone that the members as a whole truly appreciate.

I know this is most likely the most controversial proposed idea I am listing here. So I am seeking your all's thoughts on this issue for sure. Do you like the sound of it? Or do you all think it would make people feel snubbed or left out?

Also, does anybody else have any other ideas for an annual award of some kind?
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Xephyrian
Member Avatar
Master Chief of the Universe
I like all of the ideas proposed except I don't feel like we should put any of the members on a pedestal because I think it's pretty difficult to decide who "did the best" on the forums. This is just my opinion and if other people want it then I won't care too much if it gets implemented.
Posted Image

stinger9142
Member Avatar
Endure and survive...
Thank you for your input, Gooman.

I don't mean it as a way to put someone on a pedistal. I just thought it would be nice for members to give a nod to someone they feel is an invaluable .member who makes "quality" posts.

I realize it could be controversial though, that's why I am asking to guage a majority opinion :)

Xephyrian
Member Avatar
Mmk, I guess I misunderstood. What factors would the winner be judged on?
Posted Image

stinger9142
Member Avatar
Endure and survive...
Well it is all up to those who nominate and vote really. I myself would try to look at someone who is:

1st - a consistent poster
2nd - someone who posts quality content
3rd - someone with a good attitude that treats other members with respect.
4th - someone who I can tell honestly cares for this forum.

We have a lot of great members, and it would be tough to choose. At the moment I haven't even tried to narrow down a nomination for if it procceeds.

It is just a thought. If people don't like it that is fine :)
Update: during staff duscussions floorcat really captured the idea I was going for here. He mentioned how senior classes sometimes vote for fun stuff for awards in the class.

He mentioned things like funniest avatar, weirdest username, and ebay watchdog, Game off MVP. You all get the idea.

We could even do things like best avatar or best signature.

If I follow through with this, I will make a temporary new section of the forum for the nominations and polls. I do not want to flood our normal sections with vote offs and what not. After the nominations and polls are done, I would condense them in to 1 topic for each and move them in to the archives or something.
Edited by stinger9142, Dec 10 2012, 08:33 PM.

Matt
Member Avatar
Kick, Punch, It's all in the mind
I'm not sure I'd like the poster of the year idea, as I feel it may cause some of the other contributor's feel they aren't been fully reconised and give them a negative vibe

Posted Image

stinger9142
Member Avatar
Endure and survive...
Thanks for your input, Matt. Back in the day, being nominated would have thrilled me. I hadn't been here very long though. Truthfully it didn't bother me that I wasn't, but that is my personality type. That is why I was curious what you all would think.

Don't forget to weigh in on the other nomination ideas also, especially if you have any award ideas :D

Matt
Member Avatar
stinger9142
Dec 11 2012, 05:58 AM
Thanks for your input, Matt. Back in the day, being nominated would have thrilled me. I hadn't been here very long though. Truthfully it didn't bother me that I wasn't, but that is my personality type. That is why I was curious what you all would think.

Don't forget to weigh in on the other nomination ideas also, especially if you have any award ideas :D
Yeah, it wouldn't bother me,just thinking.

Another idea could be to have a game competition (I imagine this would be hard to do though) and give a award to the winner.

Another idea may be to make a member group for winners (for example the PD champs group from a few years ago)
Posted Image

stinger9142
Member Avatar
Endure and survive...
Thanks again for input, Matt. I could totally go for a game competition provided some members were able to brain storm some ideas to make it work.

I could see "2012 Award Winner" group being a nice thing to do, provided we had enough awards given out to warrant a new group. 4 or 5 would be nice.

Norcal
Member Avatar

Just an idea -

In my former MMO clan which I led for around 3 years (now closed), we used to have seasonal awards as well as Member of the Month awards. For the seasonal awards i'd create custom signatures for the winners, and give the Member of the Month winner a special user group for just that month, add their name in the table at the top of the clan's forum (Similar to the table in my N64 theme). It would ususally read "Congratulations to x, *month's* member of the month!". Here's a few examples of the signatures I made for the winners:

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Of course alot of the categories are relevant to the MMO, but you get the picture.

Edited by Norcal, Dec 18 2012, 11:02 AM.
Posted Image

Vekoma64
Member Avatar
I think it is a great idea. I do not know if many would get offended, at least I hope not as the regular posters here seem to be all nice with each other. I do not really have suggestions on what to do or how to do it but stuff to read, write and do on this fourm is great and more content is :) all good by me.
Nintendo gaming since 1989 WiiU NNID- Vekoma64

Cypher
Member Avatar
Established Member
I like the idea :)

Or if you dont want to choose just one person due to making other people feeling left out, You should do just like a List of thanks to who you think contributes to the forum and who really get thereselves involved with the Forum and who are just generally nice people who you grown friendly with :)
Buy ANY SNES/N64/GAMEBOY/GBC/GBA CIB PAL games So message me.

Xephyrian
Member Avatar
That's a good idea too Cypher. The more I think about at, any of these ideas would be fine. I'm pretty sure that if a poster of the year is voted on no one here would be offended if it wasn't them.
Posted Image

DeeMoney
Member Avatar
Outback Adventurer
I like cypher's idea about that. I think you should look at the people who are consistent or have been in 2012. With that list above that you mentioned Stinger and maybe just acknowledge them for helping to keep this place a great place to visit with quality conversation going on.
Nintendo Network ID - DeeMoney19
PSN Network ID - hallxx81xx
Xbox Live Gamertag - DeeMoney 2K19

Posted Image

stinger9142
Member Avatar
Endure and survive...
Thank you all for the fantastic feedback! I am excited to see this discussion really pick up some steam.

OK, cypher, I love your idea, but want to combine it with my wish to have a contributor of the year. I will ask members that want to to give a personal thanks to any specific member(s) they see fit in a designated topic. After a couple of weeks, I will see who was mentioned by the most members will be crowned "contributor of the year". this method can really keep people from feeling left out, and know that they are appreciated by others even if they do not win. It is like a vote, but without asking members to "just pick one".

Norcal, signatures for winners would be a nice touch for sure. :)

Also, I was thinking we should have a "new member of the year" for anyone who joined in since January 1st of 2012.

Please keep the ideas and feedback coming :)

Cabanon
Elite
as long as those who are nominated are not abusing the forum, i dont see why it shouldnt be done. still, it highly depends on the person. some like to be recognize and be on a top list, while some dont give a s**t about it or some like to be recognize but dont make a "oh im hot on this forum" and goes on to help users & newbie. THAT is someone who should be nominated to me.

stinger9142
Member Avatar
Endure and survive...
I expect our members will make good top quality nominations as a whole. Multiple of those is what it would take to win,

Humble is a great quality to!

Thanks for weighing in :)

Omnert
Member Avatar
Collector of everything.
Matt
Dec 12 2012, 08:52 AM
Another idea could be to have a game competition (I imagine this would be hard to do though) and give a award to the winner.
I like this idea as well, though I know it would be hard to do, and would most likely have to be just a regional thing. But (since I'm currently living in a big house alone, and only for the next 6 months or so,) I would be willing to host a NE FL/ SE GA and surrounding area competition (basically anyone who's willing/capable to drive to Jacksonville, FL, if there are any) in the next few weeks/months, and even if it were just a fun thing to do/no award for it or anything, I think it would be a cool idea, though some of our younger/non-driving members might be left out..
Edited by Omnert, Dec 13 2012, 08:57 AM.
Current N64 focus: NTSC-U carts. Current count: 108/296 (36.5%), 4 NTSC-J.

Non-N64 Items:

Matt
Member Avatar
Omnert
Dec 13 2012, 01:20 AM
Matt
Dec 12 2012, 08:52 AM
I like this idea as well, though I know it would be hard to do, and would most likely have to be just a regional thing. But (since I'm currently living in a big house alone, and only for the next 6 months or so,) I would be willing to host a NE FL/ SE GA and surrounding area competition (basically anyone who's willing/capable to drive to Jacksonville, FL, if there are any) in the next few weeks/months, and even if it were just a fun thing to do/no award for it or anything, I think it would be a cool idea, though some of our younger/non-driving members might be left out..

(If there's any interest I would be willing to host it nonetheless, though I only have 1 N64 (but multiple TVs), so others would need to bring their copies of games/consoles... (If anyone's interested in something like that, you can contact me via PM, also there is a place for you to sleep for a few days)...)
I like this idea, although it would be tough to organise and multiple events would have to go on worldwide

Do the versions of games you download off the Wii sore have multiplayer?

Another idea could be the Xbox Live downloadable version of Perfect Dark, although that's leaving out members of the forum without Xbox consoles or gold
Posted Image

clarky_n64
Member Avatar
Modding Monster
I'm liking all the ideas from everyone at the moment. Just to expand on some annual awards we could have:

Best N64 Gamer Award- A member that has completed the most N64 games in the N64 Game Off topic

Chatterbox Award - A member who's racked up the most posts in the last year or most posts per day

Best Collection Award - This award would have to be voted for by the forum

Best Personality Award - A member with the best character, that may be witty, funny, wacky or just plain weird :lol:

Biggest Contributer Award - A member who has posted the most useful info across the forum. Noted by quality of posts, not quantity

Maybe someone else could expand? :yeah:

Clarky & Smithy Creations YouTube Channel

stinger9142
Member Avatar
Endure and survive...
Hey guys. I feel I have gathered enough feedback.thank you all for your valuable feedback. I will begin preperations for the awards and the temporary awards section. It is not too late for new ideas if anybody has any.

I will also try to make an updated list of our current award ideas later tonight. :)

buddy1983
Member Avatar
Veteran
I know we're a few months off but is this happening again this year?
Youtube

Wii U user name: Read1ngFC (thats a one and not a i)

Switch friend code SW-4595-4819-7191

UK resident

Posted Image

I'm currently playiing triangle in a reggae band. I just stand in the back and Ting

Norcal
Member Avatar

buddy1983
Oct 14 2013, 12:09 PM
I know we're a few months off but is this happening again this year?

If they do happen again I would certainly be up for making signatures again (at least the userbars) if nobody else is interested. :)
Edited by Norcal, Oct 17 2013, 05:02 PM.
Posted Image

bluedogrulez
Member Avatar
Racing for Fulcon Capital
Hey Norcal! Thanks for the offer, definitely take you up on that. You did an AMAZING job! You back in the States?
Switch Friend Code: SW-0786-9287-1202 (bluedogBDR)
MK8Deluxe Tourney: N64Forever.com 2332-7277-8283
Nintendo Network ID: BDR2010 / Twitter: @bluedogrulez
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

stinger9142
Member Avatar
Endure and survive...
I fully support the idea, and would be glad to help :yeah:

floorcat
Member Avatar
Nintendo sixty-floorcat :P
Suuuuuuuuuper stoked to see you'd be willing (and wanting) to do these awards again!

(And nice to see you 'round these parts again!) :yeah:
Now Playing: Clash Royale (mobile), The Swapper, Ratchet & Clank: Full Frontal Assault, Project CARS, Uncharted 4 Survival Mode ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ

bluedogrulez
Member Avatar
Racing for Fulcon Capital
We've GOT to add a GREEN THUMB award to honor our best "liker" . . . and I have a few folks in mind : )
Switch Friend Code: SW-0786-9287-1202 (bluedogBDR)
MK8Deluxe Tourney: N64Forever.com 2332-7277-8283
Nintendo Network ID: BDR2010 / Twitter: @bluedogrulez
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

stinger9142
Member Avatar
Endure and survive...
It would be wrong not to do them :) Was a blast last year!

Xephyrian
Member Avatar
Agreed, I'd love to see these back again, I was literally just thinking what we would do without Norcal, and then he came back! :D Glad to see you back man!
Posted Image

DeeMoney
Member Avatar
Outback Adventurer
Of course you love the awards mate. You snagged a couple of them last year lol.

It's a great idea. A bit of fun for the place.
Nintendo Network ID - DeeMoney19
PSN Network ID - hallxx81xx
Xbox Live Gamertag - DeeMoney 2K19

Posted Image

Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Help and Suggestions · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: