Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Annual Awards, seeking input
Topic Started: Dec 10 2012, 05:56 PM (2,265 Views)
stinger9142
Member Avatar
Endure and survive...
Often times near years end, many members (myself included) like to do "best of whatever years it is" kind of topics.

We are currently doing a "Nintendo 64 Forever N64 Game of the Year" poll that features our Game of the Month winners for the year. Credit goes to Norcal for the idea :yeah:

Kerr Avon recently started a Game of the year for 2012 for modern games.

So, my question is basically: Do you want to see more of this? I would like for us to have an annual award series of topics.
Obvious polls including:
Nintendo 64 Game of the Year - I want to keep it going as it is this year.
Best game released in that year (all systems)

Other thoughts I have:
Movie of the year
Contributor of the year - Our forum did this a few years ago. I would like to bring it back. I would not want anybody getting their feelings hurt, so I have some ideas about how to do this smoothly. There would be a nomination topic where users would be asked to nominate a single user (non-staff of course). If you back somebody already nominated, state so by nominating them again. The reason being is at he end of the nomination period, the 5 (or so if there is a tie) with the most support would be placed in a poll topic. At the end of the voting, the winner would be crowned our 2012 Contributor of the Year. We have a lot of great members here, and I just feel the need to honor someone that the members as a whole truly appreciate.

I know this is most likely the most controversial proposed idea I am listing here. So I am seeking your all's thoughts on this issue for sure. Do you like the sound of it? Or do you all think it would make people feel snubbed or left out?

Also, does anybody else have any other ideas for an annual award of some kind?
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

stinger9142
Member Avatar
Endure and survive...
Thank you for your input, Gooman.

I don't mean it as a way to put someone on a pedistal. I just thought it would be nice for members to give a nod to someone they feel is an invaluable .member who makes "quality" posts.

I realize it could be controversial though, that's why I am asking to guage a majority opinion :)

stinger9142
Member Avatar
Endure and survive...
Well it is all up to those who nominate and vote really. I myself would try to look at someone who is:

1st - a consistent poster
2nd - someone who posts quality content
3rd - someone with a good attitude that treats other members with respect.
4th - someone who I can tell honestly cares for this forum.

We have a lot of great members, and it would be tough to choose. At the moment I haven't even tried to narrow down a nomination for if it procceeds.

It is just a thought. If people don't like it that is fine :)
Update: during staff duscussions floorcat really captured the idea I was going for here. He mentioned how senior classes sometimes vote for fun stuff for awards in the class.

He mentioned things like funniest avatar, weirdest username, and ebay watchdog, Game off MVP. You all get the idea.

We could even do things like best avatar or best signature.

If I follow through with this, I will make a temporary new section of the forum for the nominations and polls. I do not want to flood our normal sections with vote offs and what not. After the nominations and polls are done, I would condense them in to 1 topic for each and move them in to the archives or something.
Edited by stinger9142, Dec 10 2012, 08:33 PM.

stinger9142
Member Avatar
Endure and survive...
Thanks for your input, Matt. Back in the day, being nominated would have thrilled me. I hadn't been here very long though. Truthfully it didn't bother me that I wasn't, but that is my personality type. That is why I was curious what you all would think.

Don't forget to weigh in on the other nomination ideas also, especially if you have any award ideas :D

stinger9142
Member Avatar
Endure and survive...
Thanks again for input, Matt. I could totally go for a game competition provided some members were able to brain storm some ideas to make it work.

I could see "2012 Award Winner" group being a nice thing to do, provided we had enough awards given out to warrant a new group. 4 or 5 would be nice.

stinger9142
Member Avatar
Endure and survive...
Thank you all for the fantastic feedback! I am excited to see this discussion really pick up some steam.

OK, cypher, I love your idea, but want to combine it with my wish to have a contributor of the year. I will ask members that want to to give a personal thanks to any specific member(s) they see fit in a designated topic. After a couple of weeks, I will see who was mentioned by the most members will be crowned "contributor of the year". this method can really keep people from feeling left out, and know that they are appreciated by others even if they do not win. It is like a vote, but without asking members to "just pick one".

Norcal, signatures for winners would be a nice touch for sure. :)

Also, I was thinking we should have a "new member of the year" for anyone who joined in since January 1st of 2012.

Please keep the ideas and feedback coming :)

stinger9142
Member Avatar
Endure and survive...
I expect our members will make good top quality nominations as a whole. Multiple of those is what it would take to win,

Humble is a great quality to!

Thanks for weighing in :)

stinger9142
Member Avatar
Endure and survive...
Hey guys. I feel I have gathered enough feedback.thank you all for your valuable feedback. I will begin preperations for the awards and the temporary awards section. It is not too late for new ideas if anybody has any.

I will also try to make an updated list of our current award ideas later tonight. :)

stinger9142
Member Avatar
Endure and survive...
I fully support the idea, and would be glad to help :yeah:

stinger9142
Member Avatar
Endure and survive...
It would be wrong not to do them :) Was a blast last year!

« Previous Topic · Help and Suggestions · Next Topic »
Add Reply