Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Regarding Banned Members
Topic Started: Dec 29 2012, 11:39 AM (7,513 Views)
stinger9142
Member Avatar
Endure and survive...
Needler420 was messaged about a post that violated several rules. His responses were unacceptable and contained threats that would impair the ability of the staff to function properly. It became apparent to the staff that his continued membership would be detrimental to the forum and could therefore no longer be accommodated.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Cabanon
Elite
short story, he's banned ?

Mk II
Member Avatar
Elite
yes.
Banned for repeatedly breaking the rules and his attitude towards staff and other members.

His hideous avatar didnt help either :)
Edited by Mk II, Dec 29 2012, 12:03 PM.
Posted Image

Xephyrian
Member Avatar
Master Chief of the Universe
Sad to see a member get banned. But I suppose it was for the best. Good work admins, thanks for keeping the forums safe. :yeah:
Posted Image

Norcal
Member Avatar

Interesting. I wonder what he posted?
Posted Image

stinger9142
Member Avatar
Endure and survive...
I will not bring up specifics. I will just say it was not deleted. It doesn't need to be brought up again in any way. He made comments that were derogatory to a specific member. The post was deemed rude, off topic, and an attempt to initiate conflict. Upon contacting him repeatedly, he showed no remorse or concern about the broken rules. Also he exhibited a pattern of negative comments toward other members. Anyhow, no more since he is BANNED ;)
Edited by stinger9142, Dec 29 2012, 01:05 PM.

stinger9142
Member Avatar
Endure and survive...
I wanted to clarify, if I sounded like I didn't want people discussing his being banned, that isn't what I intended. I meant I didn't want to discuss the initial offending post again.

Norcal
Member Avatar

Understandable - I was just curious because he seemed to be an overall good member. It's unfortunate that his membership ended that way, but personal attacks on anyone shouldn't be tolerated.
Posted Image

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
I'm sorry to hear that it came to this but if you gave him a chance to change his ways and he didn't then you guys did what you had to do.
"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." - Arthur Schopenhauer

Posted Image

SicCooper
Member Avatar
Veteran
I think it was a good move. I have seen comments he has posted both on here and on youtube, and he just seems to have a terrible attitude, and just is a rude person in general. Good call admins :yeah:

Posted Image

stinger9142
Member Avatar
Endure and survive...
I am glad you guys seem understanding. I don't like banning people either, it is the un-fun part of the job.

He wasn't ALL bad. Over the last year he had a habit of emoticon only replies as well as a plethora of replies that added nothing to the discussion. Many replies were off topic as well. Those are technically rule violations, but the kind of stuff nobody really harps on if it isn't a barrage of it. The derogatory personal attack prompted the pm, so I discussed the 3 rules he broke specifically with his post as well as the ones he had a pattern of breaking. Instead of compliance, he continued to harp about the issue he was told to drop.

I hope that gives you guys a better understanding of why we reached this decision. He had chances. Both of my pm's to him ended with plainly saying that if he didn't follow the rules, he would be gone. He didn't acknowledge I said it either time, and chose to make yet another derogatory and "contribute nothing" reply this morning before the vote. The derogatory one has since been deleted.

I didn't really intend to divulge so many details. Truthfully though, the staff has nothing to hide. I wouldn't want people thinking we did someone unfairly.

I will refrain from mentioning what his threat was.

Waddle Dee
Member Avatar
Wat
How you are adressing this shows how mature the staff is, you guys are respecting him even though he is banned, thats admirable. Normally staff might put the person on blast but you guys aren't, pretty awesome.
Simply Subscribe For My Love:

http://www.youtube.com/user/Crumpocalypse

Phantom
Member Avatar
Veteran
I Think You Handled The Situation Very Well You Tried Explaining The Rules To Him But Ignored You, And No One Should Be Threatened On This Forum Or Any Forum For That Matter, Good Choice Admins :yeah:

jonebone
Member Avatar
Good decision, he was an obvious troll. I've seen him post on other forums in a similar manner and each of his posts were ridiculous. The forum will be much cleaner without him.

stinger9142
Member Avatar
Endure and survive...
jonebone
Dec 30 2012, 07:21 AM
he was an obvious troll.
Funny you say that - during staff talks, his behavior was described as "troolish" :lol:

Thanks for the support guys.

NintendoLuke99
Member Avatar
Nintendo 64 Teen Enthusiast
thatys too bad. at least you tried to change his ways. the one thing i love about n64 forever is that there are almost no trolls and the staff are very friendly(on YouTube DEFINATLEY a different story got a ton of trolls(mostly gligar13vids that jerk) and got messages saying that you should commit suicide not even gonna explain the other things because that would be too inappropriate for this forum and also got bashed by gligar13vids because i have autism) and when i found this website i found that there were no trolls and the people were very friendly. so when i joined this i found it a safe haven from the trolls and other things about YouTube) i think you handled this very maturely so not gonna say anything bad
Get :n64: Or Get Out! :n64: slogan
:n64: Forever!

My :n64: Collection
1 Black :n64: console
34 :n64: Games
3 Offical :n64: controllers

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
The admin staff here at Nintendo 64 Forever really is amazing. They're unparallel in their wisdom and courage as exemplified by the fact that they allow me to continue my Targeted in America thread despite the controversial nature of the topic. Early on some long standing and prominent members argued that my thread was out of place here and could only hurt this site overall. The admins are continually vindicated in their decision to allow the thread to remain as membership here at N64 Forever has literally doubled since I started sharing the story and the daily post count remains quite high. Bravo to the moderators of Nintendo 64 Forever for your deft handling or potentially sticky situations! :applause:
Edited by Grizzmeister, Dec 30 2012, 12:24 PM.
"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." - Arthur Schopenhauer

Posted Image

stinger9142
Member Avatar
Endure and survive...
Yes, the web is full of trolls.

Grizz, it bordered on causing conflict at first. We were apprehensive, but let it go on because you handle it the right way. People were rude at times, and you still were polite back to them. Occasionally we will get a new member who is put off by it, but it has been a pretty successful topic. It even garnered some nominations for thread of the year if I recall correctly. Props to you for the way you handle yourself in that thread!

I am all for free speech, just not conflict and tension ;)

Cabanon
Elite
just a question and if you dont want to answer, im fine with that.

how are you guys banning a user ? a you banning him by username ? user IP ? location ?

it could be very easy to just come back with a different username and troll again

stinger9142
Member Avatar
Endure and survive...
No problem. Some bans are more comprehensive. His was to the highest degree we are able. All his IP's are banned, his email is banned, his account has a general ban and is closed as well. It is not fool proof, I am sure a dedicated individual would find a way.

For extra caution I used geolocation on his IP addresses. I currently check this location against all new members for some time to ensure, as much as possible, that he is not coming back.

Xephyrian
Member Avatar
Master Chief of the Universe
Not gonna lie that sounds pretty hardcore, but I guess it keeps him out :yeah: Again good work admins.
Posted Image

stinger9142
Member Avatar
Endure and survive...
Usually only that type of ban if reserved for someone you anticipate backlash from. A typical join only to "spam and go" type of member gets the standard ban.

I have only used the geolocation deal a couple of times before in regards to bans, as thankfully we don't have to ban many members :)
It is an excellent tool for investigating multiple account type situations.

TNT737373
Member Avatar
Veteran
Good job guys. Thanks for always being so dedicated to the job, this forum is monitored very closely compared to others I've been on. Leading a crack squad here.

i8ablueskittle
and it tasted good...
Hell of a job admins. Even though I never even heard of needler, I'm sure we're all glad he's gone :P
This is by far the cleanest, friendliest, and most informative forum I've ever joined, not to mention the best forum for my collecting habits. :n64:
Forever searching for 1080 Snowboarding and 1080 Avalanche items.
Love N64 Prototypes and Unreleased games.
PM me or email me at i8ablueskittle@gmail.com

stinger9142
Member Avatar
Endure and survive...
Feeling the support of our member base behind us is a great feeling. It is my pleasure to serve on the staff, and I am sure the rest of the staff feels the same way. We have something rare here, no doubt about it. At the rate we are growing, we sure have no room for bad apples.

stinger9142
Member Avatar
Endure and survive...
I regret to say that we have been forced to ban another member.

Many of you know ausgamer355. I will make this as brief as possible. Ausgamer355 had multiple accounts on here, a few to be exact. We launched an investigation in to the matter a couple of weeks ago after suspicious activity (he turned his ausgamer account over to another person, and started a new account, terry_454") as well as a tip from an unnamed member who had proof that he also has multiple accounts on EBAY.

IP address evidence verified these claims to some degree. All accounts in question were suspended until we could sort things out. While trying to find time to verify all the claims (it is the holidays and all) ausgamer sent an inflammatory message in response to the suspensions. I advised him to be honest, patient, and truthful. I also told him to be respectful, as I would be with him. A few days past and I received an email tonight from ausgamer making disrespectful remarks and making challenges.

I had stated to him " Hostility will only cease the investigation prematurely, leaving your account still suspended." and that is just what he did.

Upon hearing the claims of multiple account use, he didn't deny it or try to defend himself. To put it bluntly, all things point to this guy being a fraud. He uses the same member names on ebay as he did on here largely. He uses these accounts to drive up prices and work things to his benefit if prices don't go as high as he would like when selling. These were the charges against him. I can tell you the IP's match on our forum, and those usernames have a record of doing business with each other on ebay.

The accounts his IP's matched were ausgamer355, amr355, terry_454, ausryan, and mumbo. Please everyone beware of this persons tactics. If any member sees anything suspicious regarding new member activity or anything, please let us know. He had hundreds of IP's (a real blast to check all of believe me!) and can and likely will beat our ban system if he tries. If you even have a slight suspicion that he may be another member, please pass it along to the staff.

This forum is a wonderful place, and has no need for fraudulent individuals. I am sure you all agree.

Waddle Dee
Member Avatar
Wat
Wow really? Wow, I didn't see that coming.
Simply Subscribe For My Love:

http://www.youtube.com/user/Crumpocalypse

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
stinger9142
Jan 3 2013, 09:19 PM
This forum is a wonderful place, and has no need for fraudulent individuals. I am sure you all agree.
I certainly do agree! Excellent detective work on your behalf, I might add.

Isn't it sad that dishonest people permeate everything nowadays simply to further their own selfish aims? :angry:

Posted Image

stinger9142
Member Avatar
Endure and survive...
Unfortunately I am serious. I truthfully didn't either prior to the start of it all unraveling before us. In case I was not clear enough before Terry (ausgamer) was pretending to be himself/his boss/and apparently his cousin in a complex and confusing mess. I know without a doubt he was operating both terry_454 and ausgamer, as he was contacting me from ausgamer (who was supposed to be his boss then) and posting as terry_454 on here at the same time. It all gets really confusing, as he has apparently changed his story about who was who on here before.

To top it all of, as you all probably know, he uses VERY poor English. This only adds to the mess when trying to sort it out.
Grizzmeister
Jan 3 2013, 09:43 PM
I certainly do agree! Excellent detective work on your behalf, I might add.

Isn't it sad that dishonest people permeate everything nowadays simply to further their own selfish aims? :angry:
Thanks, but a lot of it was just laid before me though (Thanks to our member who helped tip us off). I can claim the daunting task of IP address checking :angry:

Yes, it really is sad Grizz :(

It does make me appreciate our good members even more though!

Edited by stinger9142, Jan 3 2013, 09:53 PM.

ddr2nite
Member Avatar
Controller Collecting Extraordinaire
My first time replying to this thread and I'll try to keep it short:

stinger: thank you (and the other admins) for keeping the peace. You guys rock and honestly I have to say "thank you" for the time/effort you put into it. Especially after reading about the amount of work you put into ensuring that those folks don't come back, that's going the extra mile. The forums will be better off without those individuals. *****

*edited a small detail out*
Edited by stinger9142, Jan 4 2013, 05:43 AM.
Posted ImageClick here to check out my N64 collection.
N64 Controllers: 30/30 Completed | ASCII Controllers: 15/15 Completed
N.A. Boxes: 8/8 Completed | Japan Boxes: 21/21 Completed
Full NTSC-J CIB Set: 198/198 Completed

"trust me, we all started with just one or two games
and then things kinda got out of hand
" - MK II

DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Forum Rules and Announcements · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: