Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
How did you get into gaming?; More About You Series
Topic Started: Jan 9 2013, 11:21 PM (804 Views)
stinger9142
Member Avatar
Endure and survive...
Alright, this time I want to know how you technically got into gaming. Perhaps you picked it up from family? or were introduced by a friend? Tell me your story.

Before I was born, my family had an Intellevision, so they gamed before me. I remember my brother getting an NES for Christmas in 88 I believe. We had Mario Brothers, Spy Hunter, Rad Racer, Duck Hunt, Top Gun, and some awesome wrestling game. Eventually we got Double Dragon. 2 Months later for my birthday, I was given Super Mario Brothers 2 as my very first video game. I was very excited. My whole family played from time to time. I had a foster brother who had Zelda, even my mom played it ;) Over the years we picked up some more titles. I also got an original Gameboy about this time. I played it a decent bit.

My brother was 10 years older than me, and when he moved out at 19, he took the NES. A year or so later, my aunt sold my mom her son's SNES. With it eventually came Super Mario World, Mario All Stars, Mario Paint, Double Dragon, Tetris Attack, and F Zero. I played a bit here and there, but not too heavy. In 95-96, I had a cousin who really got me into Mortal Kombat. I eventually got MK3 for SNES. A new friend I made at church was anxious to come over and play it. We also rented Doom, and enjoyed it.

In late 96 I started hanging out with a new guy at school. I had been playing Wolfenstein on PC for a couple of years. He was intrigued by it since he liked Doom. He educated me on the N64 coming out. After he got his on the release date, he brought it over and shower me Mario 64 and Pilot Wings. I was blown away! I was realizing how video games could be so fun. I also realized that they could be used to make friends. I didn't have many at the time, so that was big to me.

Honestly, it was a rapid downhill slide for me after that. I played HEAVILY on the 64 for the next 5 years. I took a small break from 01-03 after getting married. I picked up a PS2 in 03 because of a crazy need to play GTA games. I poured thousands of hours into the PS2. The PS3 would follow in 06 or 07 (I forget), With it the obsession only grew more.

So, I have always been around them, but got hooked by the N64 in 96, Big shock right? :lol:

Video games have given me countless hours of enjoyment, 2 of my best friends, and my amazing wife :yeah:
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

DeeMoney
Member Avatar
Outback Adventurer
Good topic mate :yeah:

My first experience with gaming would have been when my parents bought me and my brother a Sega Master System 2. I never owned a Nintendo console before the :n64: came out. And believe me I knew about it as the neighbours up the road had a NES and we would cruise up there and play as often as we could.

But that really didn't stop us from playing our SMS. We smashed that and used to play games like Spy v Spy, Olympic Gold, Sonic, Wonderboy, Golden Axe etc etc

Actually after typing all that, I just realised that we had a Commodore 64 first and that we used to fight like cats and dogs trying to get a game of that. (pretty hard when your 1 of 6 kids).

Don't remember really any of the games we used to play as I was too young.
Nintendo Network ID - DeeMoney19
PSN Network ID - hallxx81xx
Xbox Live Gamertag - DeeMoney 2K19

Posted Image

stinger9142
Member Avatar
Endure and survive...
Thanks, buddy :D

Ah yes, the old Commodore 64 :lol: You made me remember that my brother had one of those. I don't remember much about it though. I don't think I ever played on it even once!

TNT737373
Member Avatar
Veteran
I had gone over my friend's house one day just turning 6 years old, and he had a brand new N64 in his living room with Star Fox 64 up on the TV. I just watched him play until I had to go home over 3 hours later. The next day I had rushed over his house in a trance, and we just played all afternoon taking different routes through the game. Serious fun. I nagged my parents habitually over the next 6 months to get me one, it took them long to give in, ha. Finally they did break down, and I had one the following Christmas.
Edited by TNT737373, Jan 9 2013, 11:41 PM.

DeeMoney
Member Avatar
Outback Adventurer
stinger9142
Jan 9 2013, 11:37 PM
Thanks, buddy :D

Ah yes, the old Commodore 64 :lol: You made me remember that my brother had one of those. I don't remember much about it though. I don't think I ever played on it even once!
I used to play it as much as I could when I was young I remember. The only issue was that the games used to take forever to load.
Nintendo Network ID - DeeMoney19
PSN Network ID - hallxx81xx
Xbox Live Gamertag - DeeMoney 2K19

Posted Image

The Red Shadow
Member Avatar
The Seeker
When I was pretty young, back in the early 80s, I had several friends who had Intellivisions and Colecovisions, and I was smitten almost from the get go. I also knew this particular family who were very rich (they owned three houses right next to each other) and I got to go over to their main home a few times to see their arcade room that had full cabinet games like Tron, Dig Dug, etc. I knew I had to own a home system and play games whenever I could. Got an Atari 2600 shortly after that and never looked back.

stinger9142
Member Avatar
Endure and survive...
Having an arcade room would be awesome! My dad has a game room, but it is filled with pinball machines. Don't get me wrong, I like pinball, he just needs some arcade machines :lol:

dataDyne
Forum Dinosaur!
At Christmas in 1995, when I was five years old, my parents (well, Santa ;)) bought me a Sega MegaDrive. At that age the only game I'd ever played was Commander Keen, so when my parents hooked up the console and I saw the Altered Beast start-up screen appear on the TV, I just about shat my pants haha.

From there I aquired a number of games (most notably Sonic 3 & Knuckles, Streets of Rage and Shinobi) and played the hell out of my MegaDrive every weekend. I was only allowed to play for 1 hour on Saturday's and Sunday's, so I never actually completed a single game I owned. :lol: It wasn't until many years later when I developed a passion for retro gaming that I went back and conquered those games that bested me so many times.

My MegaDrive served me well until early 1998, when I went to my friend's house and played Super Mario 64. If I shat my pants seeing Altered Beast, you can only imagine my reaction to my first 3D gaming experience. I went home and begged my parents for a N64, but they told me I should start saving up all my birthday/pocket money and buy one myself. I worked for hours every weekend doing chores until I managed to save up a whole $100 (I was so proud haha), and then my parents surprised me by saying that because I'd worked so hard, they would foot the rest of the bill. :wub: In January 1999 I came home grinning from ear-to-ear with a boxed N64 in my hands, and a copy of Super Mario 64 balancing on top.

The N64 cemented my love for gaming, and unsurprisingly it remains my favourite gaming console.
Give this man a fish, and he can throw it up eleven times
-alxbly
PSN: LifeIsPreachy
Mario Kart Wii: 0088 - 2869 - 9843

Phantom
Member Avatar
Veteran
I Dont Remember How Old I Was But On My Birthday I Got An N64 And About 7 Games i think, And The First Game I ever Played Was Blast Corps. With My Two Sisters And My Brother

stinger9142
Member Avatar
Endure and survive...
Great stories guys :)

dD, that is awesome your parents recognized your efforts and paid the rest for you!

RodneyP
Member Avatar
I remember playing on a demonstration NES instore (Argos, for those in the UK!) when I was around 9. The game, I believe, was Super Mario Bros 3 and I knew instantly I had to have more. Unfortunately I would not own a Nintendo until the release of the N64! In between I had various tape-loading Spectrum computers but never the superior disk-based Commodore or Amiga systems. My father bought me an Amstrad GX4000 under heavy pestering but this system was discontinued very shortly after release and sadly I only ever had one game for it. Effectively it was my first home console though and I still have it. My friends and I used to swap everything in school and I managed to trade some Citadel Miniatures for my first Megadrive.

This opened up a whole new gaming world even though I rarely had the latest releases. Early favourites included Desert Strike, Streets of Rage, Earthworm Jim, Micro Machines & Toejam & Earl. As my gaming tastes expanded I started picking up more unusual titles like Dynamite Headdy, Shining Force and Herzog Zwei. I also picked up a GameGear around this time and became a 'portable' gamer! Friends acquired next generation consoles in the shape of the Saturn and the PS1 but I still had to wait a couple of years to get the N64. Home entertainment provides mostly passive enjoyment so I've always held a fascination with the interactive nature of videogames. Something to do with how you control the story and your progression through it really. Even the simplest side-scrolling platformer can compel you to reach the next area or stage or boss

The origins of videogaming certainly pre-date my existence but I'm glad I've been around to see it evolve from 8-bit through to where it is now. Hope it doesn't become unrecognisable to me over the next twenty years or so... actually, who cares? I can still rock N64 and the Cube!

Norcal
Member Avatar

I got into gaming because my neighbor friend had a SNES and N64 - I used to pretty much live at his house from the ages of 8-10 because that's all I wanted to do. Mortal Combat on the SNES and Goldeneye on the N64 :yeah: . Then finally when I was around 13 my parents got me my own (used) N64. Even though at that time the Xbox/Ps2 were out the N64 was the latest and greatest as far as I was concerned.
Posted Image

Matt
Member Avatar
Kick, Punch, It's all in the mind
I'm not sure the exact age I started gaming, but it was before I was three years old, I remember Sonic 2 being my first game, and Duke Nukem 3D on Windows 95, as my dad at the time was a huge PC gamer and upgraded to Windows 98 pretty much instantly, It would have to be when I was either 1 or 2, the first game I remember completing however was Metal Gear Solid
Posted Image

NintendoLuke99
Member Avatar
Nintendo 64 Teen Enthusiast
Well before i really got into gaming, i was(gasp) a PC gamer. i had my own computer, a Windows 98 SE Machine and i played the crap out of some games i had(Need For Speed Hot Pursuit 2,Midtown Madness 2(which i played the most of),Millie's Math House,Sammy's Science House,Thomas The Tank Engine Railway Adventures(2nd most played and i was a HUGE fan of the TV series) and Milton Bradley Classic Board Games) well until 2009 i was a pc gamer. and i remember the day it changed July 4th,2009 i was at a fourth of July party and i realized that they had a Nintendo 64 . i saw all the games they had and i found 1 that interested me:Paper Mario. i put it in and for some reason i knew how to control it.i got so addicted that i played it for a hour straight. after that i played super Mario 64 and again got addicted. by now everyone got really impatient and they made a deal with me:if i died one more time in super Mario 64,they would take over the Nintendo 64 and play super smash bros. well i died so they took it over and my mom found out so she didn't let me go to the basement for the rest of the party. after that after months and months of begging, i finally got a Nintendo 64 as a Christmas present with 6 games and a now broken controller. another thing that really got me into gaming is when i found my dads long lost Nintendo Entertainment System and Super Nintendo. it was in either late 2009 or early 2010, and we were cleaning out the storage room in the old house basement(it was a huge storage room) to convert half of it to my bedroom. when i saw a carton box, i found a Super Nintendo Controller and a NES controller. i asked my mom if we could look for it. hours later we saw a box that was right next to it and we opened it and sure enough i found the super nintendo and a nes. well i cleaned it up and turned it on and even after being in storage for nearly 10 years it still worked perfectly(except for one game race drivin which didnt work at all. WEll here is my story i really hoped you liked it
Get :n64: Or Get Out! :n64: slogan
:n64: Forever!

My :n64: Collection
1 Black :n64: console
34 :n64: Games
3 Offical :n64: controllers

YogurtStorm
Member Avatar
Your mom is a nice lady
Great stories above!

As with lots of you, started at a very young age. My cousin had an NES that me and my brother would fight over to play with at every visit. We would beg our mom for our own Nintendo but never got one. Until the christmas of 1997 (when I had just turned 7 years old)...

We got our FIRST system, the Playstation 1, which was just like *BOOM* (head explodes). I still have lots of my fondest memories on that system. I can say the same for the Nintendo 64 which we got the christmas after which was another love story of it's own.
My Youtube Channel: All game. No bla-bla. PS4 ShareFactory gameplay
Posted Image Home of Conker's Corner

CoachLuke22
Member Avatar
Very Cool Stories So far!!

The first game I remember playing was Wolfenstein on the computer.

I had an NES that I played every now and then but I really got into gaming with the SNES. My dad would come home from work and want to play DK as soon as he got home so as soon as I got home from school I would play the first level over and over again getting extra lives so my dad would have plenty of lives waiting for him when he got home.

Then I got the N64 for christmas and it changed my life. We would play Smash Bros, Mario Kart and NFL Blitz for hours upon end. It is still to date my favorite system ever made which is why im a member of these forums

Then my brother got a gamecube but I could never get into it.

Then the original XBOX got me back into gaming with Halo, Halo 2 and Time Splitters 2. I probably played xbox just as much as I played the N64.

I currently play NES, SNES, N64, XBOX and XBOX 360. Gamertag BakoLuke

N.A. Consoles - 7/9
N.A. Controllers CIB - 8/8
N.A. Carts - 76/296

Nintendo Power Controllers - Nintendo Power 100, DK64, Millennium 2000

stinger9142
Member Avatar
Endure and survive...
I am glad to see so many others view the N64 as a turning point for them to. Keep these great stories coming!

zar
Member Avatar
I grew up with video games since as long as I can remember. My brother got an N64 for his birthday and I watched him play a lot. When I got to play I would just copy what he did. I was only like 5 and I wouldn't have gotten anywhere in OoT if it weren't for my brother. My brother & sister and I played MK64, Starfox, Diddy Kong Racing and Mario Party together a lot. I loved playing the N64 so much. We also played PC games like The Sims, Age of Empires and Roller Coaster Tycoon. I remember playing a LttP and a few others on the SNES at my cousins' house as well.

Friends from elementary school further interested me in games. One of my good friends had a PS which we played a lot of Crash Racing and other games on. Most of my friends had N64's though. One of my really good friends and I talked about N64 games at school recess and we would go to each others house and play video games all day (good times). We had so much in common just from how we loved video games. He got me into Red Alert 2 and helped me get past the Water Temple in OoT. That day I finally completed OoT.

My brother got a GameCube in 2002 but he was losing interest gaming while mine was growing ever stronger. I played games like Animal Crossing, WW, SSBM, Super Mario Sunshine and Starfox Adventures. My brother got me Metroid Prime for my 10th birthday, and much as I loved these new games I still loved the good old N64. My peak excitement (obsessiveness) in Nintendo was probably in 2004-2006. Since then I have lost much of that childhood excitement over Nintendo and their upcoming games as well as gaming altogether :-/ . But I still love the older Nintendo systems and their games. That's why I bought back all the Nintendo games I loved as a kid.
Edited by zar, Jan 15 2013, 04:37 PM.
Posted Image

scooter77
Member Avatar
New Zealand Member
My gaming life began with the mighty Commodore 64, my olds used to use it to do their accounts on and bought a few games for me to play on it, i dont remember what the games were because i was quite young, but i do remember how long it used to take to boot it up LOL, next they upgraded to a PC, one of the first games that i played to death was Commander Keen, man i loved that game, many an hour lost playing it, another great game i used to have was Wolfenstein 3d, i cant tell you how much this game changed my gaming life, it was so different to anything i had ever seen before, and to this day would be my favorite game of all time, the next great game was Duke Nukem 3D, this was one of the first games that i actually finished.
After my stint with the PC i moved onto my first console, the Playstation, i loved that thing, i never had many games for it because i couldnt afford many at the time, but the ones i did have, TOCA, Red Alert, Medal of Honour, i used to play every day, and for this reason, it is my favorite console ever, after that i moved onto the PS2, then PS3, and when the PS4 comes out, i will be getting one of those too, i will be a Playstation man till the day i die.
As for our beloved N64, i never had one when it came out, one of my mates got one a soon as it was released, and i used to go over to his place and play it, as soon as i played Goldeneye for the first time i knew one day i will have to get one, unfortunately this day did not come till about Five years ago when i found one at a car boot sale, and as they say the rest is history.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
-Albert Einstein

PAL Collection: 243/243
NTSC-U only Exclusives: 50/50
NTSC-U / NTSC-J Exclusives: 11/11
NTSC-J only Exclusives: 85/85
64dd 0/9

Only 9 to go.

stinger9142
Member Avatar
Endure and survive...
I remember playing Comander Keen and sone old side scrolling Duke Nukem games on pc in the early 90's. Any body remember Hugo's House of Horrors?

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
Would you believe that Pong got me in to video gaming? :D

Then during the 80's when the arcade scene was red hot I played tons of great games at places like Chuck E Cheese and small neighborhood arcades. We're talking some real classics like Asteroids, Tempest, Pac-man and Bosconian.

Then I stopped gaming until the early 90's when I got an NES and eventually a SNES around 1995. By this point I had become hooked on video games and made the decision to prepurchase an N64 which ultimately changed my life forever. In fact, Super Mario 64 made such an impact on me that I immediately purchased stock in Silicon Graphics (developers of the N64's graphics chip). I've played countless games on various consoles since then but I doubt any other video system has ever had the impact on me that the N64 did.
"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." - Arthur Schopenhauer

Posted Image
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

hockeylife21
Pretty much born into it. My mom actually bought a SNES and N64 for herself to keep her and me occupied while I was a kid and we would play DKC 2 and 3 and Banjo Kazooie. Still have a bunch of games from when I was that young (basically was like 2 or 3) but I've sold and thrown out the majority.

Cabanon
Elite
my uncle brought his NES in 1990, i was 6, at my grand-parent's house. me and my cousin were fighting to play SMB/DH haha. in 1994 (i believe), my brother had to have a small surgery and he needed to stay home for 2-3 weeks doing nothing so my mom bought us a SNES with Super Mario World bundle. we played the s**t out of it, rented alot of games. ended up giving it to our small cousin who never had such thing and were greatfull for it. in summer of 1997, after months and months of hard work, my brother and I bought a 6 months old "used" N64 with wave race & SM64. I still have all of this as of today and im thankfull for the silly me keeping every goddamn boxes of everything I buy lol we played the s**t out of it with friends and such. ultra long gaming night playing MK64 battle mode, rented so much game that we had to do a rented list haha. I think we ended up renting like 150 games or something. in 2003 I bought a Slim PS2 to play NFS: Underground 2. that was my first experience with something else than Nintendo and i was blow away. I then discovered the mighty Guitar Hero in 2006 and since then, im hooked for life on this series. I sold the ps2 right before getting what is following (damn wife). in January 2008, I bought a 3 months old 60gb backward compatible ps3. the guy who bought it paid $570+tx brand new and sold it for a mere 370$ :) I still have it and it's kicking butt like never before. that probably was the purchase of a lifetime. I dont regret it at all. in 2010, when they announced the 25th Ann red Wii, I had to have one, so i pre-ordered it. that is a very cool console honestly, but not for hardcore gamer. i hate the gimmick wiimote but it does the job for certain game.

I still play a solid 1-2 hours a night mixed between n64 & ps3. i can't hook everything as im missing ac outlet so the nes/snes collect dust but fire up 1st try when I play it.

floorcat
Member Avatar
Nintendo sixty-floorcat :P
Short answer:

Posted Image

Long answer:

While Street Fighter II (the original, non-super, non-turbo version) wasn't the first game I ever played, it was definitely the one responsible for shoving me hopelessly, irreversibly into gaming, and the first game I ever fully purchased with my own monies... waaaay back in 1992 for the SNES. That was like a $65 (life) savings for a 13 year-old... a big deal!! Even a bigger deal was the fact that I didn't own a SNES at the time... it was my own way of guilting my parents into buying one for me, JUST to play this game. It took about a month, but in the end... Mission: success. :D

I think I actually had the original GameBoy before the SNES, which was my dedicated Tetris/Super Mario Land/Castlevania/Batman playing machine for all those long family road trips... and (regrettably) the only system I've ever gotten rid of.

Going back even further in time, I do actually remember the first game(s) I ever played. Jumpan and Lode Runner, both for the IBM PC Jr.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Ohhhh the memories...
Now Playing: Clash Royale (mobile), Gravity Rush 2, Rayman Legends, Project CARS, Uncharted 4 Survival Mode ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ

stinger9142
Member Avatar
Endure and survive...
Good read, fc. I on the other hand regretfully traded my snes for a poor shape gameboy pocket. I wish I had it back. Hey, those screenshots remind me of jetpack Anybody play it back in the day?

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
I didn't play jetpack but I played thousands of hours of Street Fighter II Turbo on the SNES. It's still one of my all-time favorite games.
"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." - Arthur Schopenhauer

Posted Image

The Red Shadow
Member Avatar
The Seeker
One of my favorite early gaming memories comes from the early 90s and time spent playing Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat. There would be 3 or 4 of us at the most and we'd start doing head to head battles. Every time someone lost the next guy who hadn't been playing would jump in. If you kept winning then you'd get to play for awhile but even if you weren't doing extremely well you'd get your fair share of fighting time in. That was a lot of fun. I haven't had a fun time gaming with other people since those days.

stinger9142
Member Avatar
Endure and survive...
Grizzmeister
Jan 15 2013, 08:40 PM
I didn't play jetpack but I played thousands of hours of Street Fighter II Turbo on the SNES. It's still one of my all-time favorite games.
I remember renting Turbo a lot when I was young. I E Honda hundred punched my way to flawless victories many times :lol:

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
The Red Shadow
Jan 15 2013, 08:49 PM
One of my favorite early gaming memories comes from the early 90s and time spent playing Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat. There would be 3 or 4 of us at the most and we'd start doing head to head battles. Every time someone lost the next guy who hadn't been playing would jump in. If you kept winning then you'd get to play for awhile but even if you weren't doing extremely well you'd get your fair share of fighting time in. That was a lot of fun. I haven't had a fun time gaming with other people since those days.
Yup me and my friends did this same exact thing. We all wanted to win but when never took it too seriously if we didn't. Good times, good times!

I still play Super Street Fighter IV (which is very similar to Super Street Fighter II but with better graphics) on-line sometimes but it just isn't the same.

Posted Image

« Previous Topic · Social Board · Next Topic »
Add Reply