Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
What Grinds Our Gears?; Post things that make you angry!
Topic Started: Jan 2 2008, 01:58 PM (8,899 Views)
No64DD
Member Avatar
Neva wizard Kee
Shellshocker18
Jun 3 2017, 10:00 AM
Because only Italia could see the comment and only when he was signed in
I only see yours, Shellshocker18.
A Secret star
lie here~

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Milage007
Member Avatar
Licensed to Game
I'll be watching this space. I have no reason to doubt Plant. His reviews are good. It is a shame he isn't more active on this forum.

F1 Racing is a decent game but I couldn't possibly go into the intricate details you lads do.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Follow my N64 Instagram - milage007_n64

Tupac Shakur - 'You know itís funny, when it rains it pours they got money for wars but canít feed the poorí

No64DD
Member Avatar
Neva wizard Kee
Since Glenn is on Youtube a lot, isn't there another way to contact him through Google? email?
A Secret star
lie here~

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Shellshocker18
Member Avatar
The Shockmaster
I figure I will just wait and see if he replies to the comment. I mean he usually replies to all comments on his videos once they are first uploaded. I doubt he deleted Italia's comment because even when Italia first posted it I couldn't find it so Glenn would have had like 2 minutes to delete it.

Glad you can see my comment so as long as it stays up there is nothing to worry about. The reason I was so outraged is because I wouldn't expect that from Glenn and if it was true I would have been devastated. It sucks to get something wrong when you spend so much time writing and researching but deleting someone who was just trying to correct you without even acknowledging them would be a really bad thing to do.

No64DD
Jun 3 2017, 10:38 AM
Shellshocker18
Oh yeah I hope I've made it clear that I never saw Italia's comment after it was posted so it most likely never even showed up because of YouTube reasons. Only he could see it, but he showed me a picture of him posting it asking if it was too rude or not. It's not like it went up and then disappeared, I never even saw it go up from my end.

That's the whole reason I was suspicious in the first place was because I couldn't see it after Italia posted it. I waited over an hour waiting for it to pop up, saw other comments, but Italia's still never showed up. Italia logged out and said he couldn't see the post but when he logged in he said he could see it so that's why I think it was probably youtubes fault.

So yeah that's confusing but hopefully it makes sense, hopefully my comment stays up, and hopefully Glenn doesn't ever actually delete perfectly fine comments.

Edited by Shellshocker18, Jun 3 2017, 12:14 PM.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

bluedogrulez
Member Avatar
Racing for Fulcon Capital
Crutches. Awful technology that has basically never improved.

To back up, I strained/sprained my right calf muscle about 4 weeks ago playing softball. Felt better a week later, but was stupid to think going off a diving board was a good idea :facepalm: . I exercised similar judgment a few days ago, thinking I could handle a picnic softball game. Took 3 steps to my right to catch a fly ball and ***POP*** again. :facepalm: :facepalm: (P.S. I stayed in the game. :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: )

Having proven to myself that I am completely incapable resting my leg, I put myself on crutches this morning. My sides are sore from the friction, and my shoulders from bearing the rest of me. Need some kind of anti-grav medical device to be invented PRONTO.
Switch Friend Code: SW-0786-9287-1202 (bluedogBDR)
MK8Deluxe Tourney: N64Forever.com 2332-7277-8283
Nintendo Network ID: BDR2010 / Twitter: @bluedogrulez
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Milage007
Member Avatar
Licensed to Game
Every cripple has their own way of walking! I know the feeling though from when I have had to live by them after injuries gone by. Maybe a calf transplant would be helpful?

Grinds my gears? Getting to the last track on F Zero X with one life remaining and blowing up on the last corner.... :facepalm:

It's all good fun. I'll complete the game soon enough. Short and regular sittings on this game have been very enjoyable and nostalgic.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Follow my N64 Instagram - milage007_n64

Tupac Shakur - 'You know itís funny, when it rains it pours they got money for wars but canít feed the poorí

ItalianBaptist
Member Avatar
Nintendo making the nes and snes mini "limited releases" and the way they went about it. I understand they don't want to cannabalize switch sales but they were sitting on a gold mine and a lot of people just want to play the classics and they know that!
It must be exciting to never have played a Zelda game before - No64DD

bluedogrulez
Member Avatar
Wii U discs/cases. My daughter came to me yesterday in tears and told me she did something that I would never forgive. (She's 8, so I was not overly alarmed). Through tear-filled eyes, she confessed that she cracked our Splatoon disc.

This is the second disc she has broken trying to remove from the case. She is very careful and capable by nature. She understands you need to "push the button down" and this is a game intended for kids (too). So why did Nintendo design the Wii U cases with a death grip? I've almost snapped a few myself....so yes, I did not react with anger or upset (though I cried a little on the inside, lol)

Hoping a cheap disc only copy pops up on eBay before the servers inevitably shutdown.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

StylinProfilin
Member Avatar
Literature. It's so subjective and annoying at times. People create theories based off ideas and not any fact.

andyk2003
Member Avatar
Established Member
Ebay sellers that list gaming items as "very good" but should really be "acceptable".
My CRT thread:

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
Deku Link
Jan 2 2008, 01:58 PM
Post things that make you angry or annoyed.
I find it somewhat annoying that people think biological technology stopped advancing in the 1990's. Recently a science related news story came out that many people found shocking, "Scientists Precisely Edit DNA In Human Embryos To Fix A Disease Gene". Yeah, gene editing is a thing now. So much so that the Chinese are monetizing it already. :rollseyes:

Gene-edited 'micropigs' to be sold as pets at Chinese institute
"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." - Arthur Schopenhauer

Posted Image

bluedogrulez
Member Avatar
@Grizz: ROLF, it looks like a chubby dachshund! What's next, micro tigers, lions and elephants?!?
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
bluedogrulez
Aug 3 2017, 07:34 AM
@Grizz: ROLF, it looks like a chubby dachshund! What's next, micro tigers, lions and elephants?!?
More like humans who will never get diabetes or Alzheimer's. It's a brave new world out there so you really gotta expand your mind when imagining the possibilities. Although, Ridley Scott's Prometheus and Alien: Covenant movies show how out of hand things can ultimately get.
Edited by Grizzmeister, Aug 3 2017, 08:09 AM.
"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." - Arthur Schopenhauer

Posted Image

andyk2003
Member Avatar
Established Member
Agreed - this could be an incredible move for humanity if they don't f it up.
My CRT thread:

glennplant
Established Member
No64DD
Jun 3 2017, 10:38 AM
Shellshocker18
I am active on here occasionally :) but not as much as i would like.
YouTube does filter out some comments into the spam folder generally if certain words are used in the comment or if its overly long. Sometimes if the person has commented a lot of videos on a short space of time youtube will just think they are spamming too.

I dont delete comments unless its someone genuinely spamming or being offensive for no reason - If i make a mistake in a video and someone points it out i always take feedback onboard as I'm no expert just a fan like everyone else. If its a really valid point i also highlight it in the comments with a like and a love symbol to bump it higher up the tread so more people see it at the top of the comments. Hope that helps clarify things :)

Shellshocker18
Member Avatar
The Shockmaster
Good to hear! Except the part about youtubes stupid spam folder. It had me annoyed for a good 20 minutes that day. You also at least interact with many of your commenters. A lot of youtubers are above their own audiences and never talk with them so that is nice to see. Good luck with the rest of the games you've got
Edited by Shellshocker18, Aug 10 2017, 08:25 PM.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
andyk2003
Aug 3 2017, 07:54 AM
Agreed - this could be an incredible move for humanity if they don't f it up.
In the Star Trek universe, Kahn Noonien Singh is the product of late 20th century controlled genetics. Therefore we can somewhat use him as a guide as to where gene editing will eventually go. As already proven, the Chinese are unencumbered by ethics so undoubtedly they'll eventually be creating genetically modified humans if they're not doing so already. In order to remain competitive other nations like the US and UK will be forced to follow suite. Like it or not it's inevitable that our descendants will be genetic super men and women imbued with superior physical strength and enhanced mental capabilities. So that's good news, huh? No need to worry about artificial intelligences taking over because super humans will be there to keep them in check. :P

What grinds my gears? Yeah, I guess I'll agree with one of the previous comments about people who join forums but don't interact. >_<

Posted Image

The Red Shadow
Member Avatar
The Seeker
What is grinding my gears right now? When I want to play a new game but not only do I have to wait a couple hours for ginormous patches to download and install, but I have to be punished if I want to watch some YouTube in the meantime on the same console because it causes the download speed to almost come to a screeching halt. :angry:

No64DD
Member Avatar
Neva wizard Kee
I'm glad i stick to retro.

Something that grinds me up is restaurant commercials, mainly fast food.
They'll have an individual close up pretending to take a bite and chew, even though is just an acting trick.
If you can't bring yourself to eat it, then why are you trying to convince me that i should?!

I'm not going to post an example. I yell at my TV screen enough. :facepalm:
Edited by No64DD, Feb 17 2018, 04:59 PM.
A Secret star
lie here~

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Pimpin Mainer
Member Avatar
When I shoot, I shoot to film
haha funny thing is some commercials have a spit bucket on stand buy so the actors can chew the food then spit it right back out after the take
My Nintendo Collection

NES - 93
SNES - 45 N64 - 147 Game Cube - 5 Wii - 45 Switch - 11

Nintendo Friend Code: SW-8019-6333-1909

Posted Image

Arch Evil
Member Avatar
Occasional Forum Lurker
Youtube ads! Specifically at work, where I don't have an ad-blocker on my computer. Part of my job is packing stuff and since I'm usually doing that alone, I like to put up some music on Youtube to get me all pumped up. I'm a big fan of heavy metal (and its sub-genres) and like to listen up-tempo songs to get the adrenaline flowing. Usually I like to follow up one up-tempo song with another up-tempo song in the same key, to maintain that 'adrenaline high', but then comes along a ****ing Youtube ad that ****s everything up! :angry:
Bye bye adrenaline rush!
Posted Image

The Red Shadow
Member Avatar
The Seeker
Something else is grinding my gears right now, although perhaps even pursuing this is just setting myself up to fail. It all started with Limited Run Games and their limited run physical copies of originally digital only games. Now there are a handful of other companies that release games like this in limited runs and they can be so hard to get your hands on if you aren't camping the website the moment of release. Now, that's bad enough as it is, but what's really upsetting me are the poachers who buy these games just to turn around moments later and offer them up on eBay for twice or thrice the price. :cussfit:

At least I've decided to push back in the only way I know how. To those who include the option to make an offer on their listings, I've been submitting offers for exactly what the game cost them in the first place and nothing higher.
Edited by The Red Shadow, Feb 26 2018, 03:14 PM.

Nadim9067
Member Avatar
Trigger Happy
Trump and MAFS literring every possible media outlet that you can imagine.

I get that frustrated I go outside and mow the grass. I don't think i've ever seen it so perfect for such a long time.
''Now this is what I call a Platform Game''

No64DD
Member Avatar
Neva wizard Kee
I like making patterns. It just looks good.
A Secret star
lie here~

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

No64DD
Member Avatar
Neva wizard Kee
Something that grinds my gears is when i go to use a microwave that i am well familiar with, and my finger ends up slipping or pressing the wrong buttons multiple times.
It should usually take around 5 inputs, but ends up taking up to 20 just to reaheat my coffee. :coffee:
Edited by No64DD, Mar 10 2018, 06:22 PM.
A Secret star
lie here~

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

The Red Shadow
Member Avatar
The Seeker
Hate to always sound negative but I find myself back in this topic with my tales of woe. I've ordered a lot of stuff recently, as is evident with my posts in the Games and Movies bought recently topics. Unfortunately, ordering stuff online comes with the occasional story of how things shouldn't go. I currently have a package sitting at the post office from an order I made on eBay where, although I paid for the item + shipping, I'm expected to pay the shipping again as the post office claims it was sent postage paid on delivery. This is a PS2 game that I paid no more than 6 bucks for INCLUDING shipping but I'm supposed to pay almost another $5. Thankfully I contacted the seller and they refunded me the amount for shipping but how does that happen in the first place?

Another tale: Limited Run Games action coming once again. On or around the first of the year they had a big end of year blowout sale and had games that sold out during the year that they were selling their emergency reserves of and I was able to get a few that I missed out on over the course of 2017(especially the dang Night Trap anniversary edition for PS4!). I was ecstatic, to say the least. It's now March 21 and I still don't have the 5 games I ordered, a value of about $100. I've been in constant communication with them but, just as I was starting to have a better opinion of them after too many times getting stung by their limited run gimmick, I'm starting to lose it once again. As long as I get my order I don't really care how long it has taken, and I know they'll refund me if they can't do it, but the hoops to hop through and the hurdles to leap are starting to accumulate and erode away at my confidence. Sad thing is, I've made a few purchases since then that have had no problems whatsoever. Why is this one thing being such a pain in the backside?

And lastly, for now, is Assassin's Creed Rogue Remastered. At least three regions across the globe got this game physically for PS4 and Xbox One. Guess which one didn't? NTSC. Except for this: https://www.play-asia.com/assassins-creed-rogue-remastered/13/70btkl
Now that is definitely a link to a physical NTSC version of Rogue Remastered, albeit marked as "out of print/out of stock." I can tell you that it didn't say that a couple weeks ago when I pre-ordered it. I'm not sure why one website out of the countless ones I check had this listed while everyone else seemed to know that it was digital only here in NA. I had to confirm that there was no physical copy on the Assassin's Creed Facebook page and immediately contacted Play-Asia about my order. They got back to me early this AM and claimed that it was sold out and that they tried to source it out from other places but no one could fulfill it. Hmm, I wonder why. Anyway, at least they are offering me up the PAL version and I will probably go with that, but I wish they had a better handle on things than they did. Oh, and yeah, I wish Ubisoft wouldn't pander to the digital only crowd here in the US while offering up physical copies everywhere else. Bah!

Anyway, just a few stories from Red Shadow's Gamer World that I thought you guys might enjoy reading about. I'm still glad that this is my chosen hobby and there are absolutely worse things that I could be dealing with but these are just a few things that my gears have been grinding on lately.
Edited by The Red Shadow, Mar 21 2018, 03:32 AM.

ItalianBaptist
Member Avatar
I don't want to sound like a crotchety old man, but I read stuff from Red Shadow and think about my own experiences and it just shows me how frustrating the current gaming industry is. I still consider getting the Switch every now and then, but then I read stuff about servers shutting down so that even physical copies become obsolete because the updates don't exist anymore, and issues with redownloading content I've already paid for, and it just makes me thankful for the cartridges I have.

I realize everything will break down eventually, but Nintendo games in particular were made to be sturdy back then so I feel much more comfortable going retro.

Shellshocker18
Member Avatar
The Shockmaster
ItalianBaptist
Mar 21 2018, 07:42 AM
I don't want to sound like a crotchety old man, but I read stuff from Red Shadow and think about my own experiences and it just shows me how frustrating the current gaming industry is. I still consider getting the Switch every now and then, but then I read stuff about servers shutting down so that even physical copies become obsolete because the updates don't exist anymore, and issues with redownloading content I've already paid for, and it just makes me thankful for the cartridges I have.

I realize everything will break down eventually, but Nintendo games in particular were made to be sturdy back then so I feel much more comfortable going retro.
The Gaming industry, just like film, has always had problems from the beginning, but it does feel that with age it becomes more impure and frustrating. With retro it's easy to cherry-pick the best bits and ignore any old drama or industry problems if you aren't a historian and just want to enjoy yourself.

Virtually every Nintendo game now including their big titles have dlc and updates, some even have microtransactions, which aren't inherantly bad but they obviosly have unreversable cons and aren't going away, so far your like me and don't even like the good implementations of these things, then tough. This likely means in 20 years it will be up to software pirates to preserve this stuff, and that is annoying to think about. Hell even with N64 there is stuff like the transfer pak and Hudson controllers, but it is widespread now to nearly every game. People thought the industry was bad 20 years ago, and in 20 more years people will think we had it better now. People say Hollywood is always reaching new lows, I can't wait to see how Video Games can get worse than they are now.

I agree though. The entire gambit of consoles from the 80s, 90s, and early 2000s will always be my favorite, because I'm biased towards them. Some things are getting better, some things are getting worse, but I'll always be more comfortable in my retro zone. Still lots of good games in this era though. I fear for when all genres are exhausted and nothing feels original 99% of the time.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

kartmaster
Member Avatar
Coffee Drinker
That's very well said, Shellshocker. The here and now is always SOMEBODY'S golden years. I look back at the pre online consoles with a lot of fondness, but you do have the luxury of tuning out the ugly.

I try to think of today's games as "different" rather than worse. Back then I had the time to unlock everything. Now I don't have the time and it doesn't matter, since so much content is pay to unlock.

But here's the thing. If there had been DLC for Mario Kart 64, more tracks, characters, etc. I would have HAPPILY opened my wallet for them. A lot of retro games I could say the thing. But it wasn't even an option. So I try not to be too critical of the DLC model if it's moderate. Nintendo does DLC pretty great in this day and age if you ask me.
Posted Image
Join in the N64 Forever MK64 Hotlap Competition!
Posted Image

ItalianBaptist
Member Avatar
DLC really isnít my main concern. Smash 4 and Mario Kart 8 did a good job with them and I like what Namco has been doing with Noctis in Tekken 7 and Broly and Bardock in DB Fighterz. Itís a great way to add longevity to a game, as long as we get a quality product at the start too. And now youíve got me thinking of Mario kart 64 with DLC and what that would look like ;)

This article from NintendoLife was where I really started to get nervous as it raises some interesting points about not just digital games but even physical games in our digital age: http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2018/03/soapbox_im_secretly_terrified_of_an_all-digital_gaming_future

I remember quite a few Wii and 3DS games where my system needed an update before they could even play them. I canít remember if the update was on the disc/card itself or if it needed to connect to the internet to do that, but if itís the latter, there will come a time where that update wonít be there anymore and people could be potentially paying for a $20 bookmark.

Not to mention Pokťmon X/Y and Ultra Sun/Moon both had game breaking glitches at launch that needed a patch to fix. Iím sure there were other issues like this before online updates - the Ruby/Sapphire berry glitch comes to mind - but I donít recall this being as common of a thing in the 64 days. I could very well be wrong.
Edited by ItalianBaptist, Mar 21 2018, 09:17 PM.

Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Social Board · Next Topic »
Add Reply