Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
N64 games you would love to exist?
Topic Started: Jan 25 2013, 07:50 PM (4,637 Views)
Kerr Avon
Member Avatar
Perfect Dark Arena.

A name I made up, for an imaginary game that I *really* wish Rare had released on the N64.

You know how Unreal Tournament and Quake 3 both did away with a single player campaign, and instead went for a multiplayer only design, adding bots to compensate for any lack of human players? And then added a single player "campaign" consisting of a tree style competition of bot matches? In the same way that Turok: Rage Wars did on the N64? Well, imagine that in Perfect Dark.

I mean, imagine if Rare had released a follow up to Perfect Dark, called something like Perfect Dark Arena, with no single player campaign, just the combat simulator. I'm not saying that they shouldn't have released PD as it was, as it had an excellent single player campaign, but I think that after a year or so of PD being released, they should have released Perfect Dark Arena, with no single player mode (and no co-op or counter-op), just the combat simulator, with all of the old maps, and with new maps too. Such as all of the Goldeneye multiplayer maps, and maybe modified versions of the PD and GE single player maps, altered to make good multilayer maps.

This isn't too far fetched; by leaving out the single player mode, including the resource hungry speech samples, there would have been a lot of empty space on the cartridge, which they could have used for the new multiplayer levels. They wouln't have had to do design, program or create a new single player campaign (which would have taken a long time), as there would be no single player campaign at all. They wouldn't have had to test the weapons, the games modes or the existing levels, as they all worked fine. Rare would have just have to design, create and test the new maps, plus a new, extended tree system for the single player game, made up of matches against the sims (like the present Challenges system already in Perfect Dark, but with far more than just thirty). Also, Rare could have fixed any bugs or flaws in the game engine, and hopefully added things that fans had wished were in Perfect Dark's multiplayer modes, such as a Last Man Standing mode, the ability to perform a certain action (say throw a grenade, or activate the Combat Boost) simply by pressing the Left Shoulder Button, and the ability for the sims to use mines and the shotgun properly.

Alright, so some people would have missed a new single player campaign - so would I, but that would have taken a long time to design and program, and almost certainly wouldn't have been economically viable given how close the N64 was to the end of it's commercial life, but the game I've described wouldn't have taken anywhere near as long for Rare to release, and would hopefully have been early enough, and successful enough (who doesn't like PD's Combat Simulator) to make a profit.

Although given how many still sealed and unsold copies of PD there are in the world, maybe PD itself came along to late to make a profit. Oh well...

Posted Image

Oh, I'd *love* a good Doctor Who game on the N64. Or on any machine, has there ever been a good Doctor Who game?
Edited by Kerr Avon, Nov 4 2014, 03:42 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

« Previous Topic · Gaming & General Nintendo 64 Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply