Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
The Playstation Vita Thread; Sony's little handheld that could... (and let's hope... WILL!)
Topic Started: Apr 20 2011, 12:25 AM (2,543 Views)
niniendowarrior
Sony NGP's Games Line-Up trailer

http://www.5min.com/Video/PlayStation-NGP-Gaming-Line-Ups-Trailer-516956607

Not sure I'm blown away by the titles shown but I'm remotely intrigued by how Uncharted will play. Don't really care for the other games, but like the 3DS, it'll take time for the big games to really appear.
Edited by niniendowarrior, Jun 12 2011, 04:42 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Matt
Member Avatar
Kick, Punch, It's all in the mind
Do you know if they are going back to the UMD (Or anything similar?)

Digital Game Downloads are fail IMO.
Posted Image

niniendowarrior
Matt
Apr 20 2011, 06:27 AM

NGP is going to use both downloadable and a new flash-based cart format for their games.

There is no more UMD support and all PSP backward compatibility stuff are going to be downloadables.

In addition, Sony promises that NGP games will be available on shelf and download at the same time if not within close time proximity of each other.

I personally think the reason PSPgo tanked was because it basically shunned the existing PSP library that was already in UMD. If PSP launched as a downloadable platform, it may have been a more reasonable product.

While I can see an argument that NGP not supporting UMDs to be a misstep, I also understand Sony's needs to move away from the format into something potentially more robust in the portable space. The best they can do is support PSP downloadable games, which is the only way possible.

Personally, if I were Sony, I'd make it that if you can prove you own the game, they'll give you a free download of the title. That's reasonable.

Matt
Member Avatar
niniendowarrior
Apr 20 2011, 06:18 PM
Matt
Apr 20 2011, 06:27 AM

NGP is going to use both downloadable and a new flash-based cart format for their games.

There is no more UMD support and all PSP backward compatibility stuff are going to be downloadables.

In addition, Sony promises that NGP games will be available on shelf and download at the same time if not within close time proximity of each other.

I personally think the reason PSPgo tanked was because it basically shunned the existing PSP library that was already in UMD. If PSP launched as a downloadable platform, it may have been a more reasonable product.

While I can see an argument that NGP not supporting UMDs to be a misstep, I also understand Sony's needs to move away from the format into something potentially more robust in the portable space. The best they can do is support PSP downloadable games, which is the only way possible.

Personally, if I were Sony, I'd make it that if you can prove you own the game, they'll give you a free download of the title. That's reasonable.
At least I can buy them in retail. I personally don' mind downloading games when I get something out of it (EG Steam on PC, I get a list of all my games which I can just choose to download anywhere in the world.

Plus PSN's PSP game downloads tend to be alot more expensive then new retail versions.
Posted Image

niniendowarrior
NGP specs of low-end model are getting slashed to compete with the 3DS.

http://www.1up.com/news/ram-cut-internal-memory-removed

I think if they are downgrading the ram specs, they should do it on all models instead of putting a two tier system. It only means that the higher spec models will never get utilized properly since developers will be aiming for the low-end ones.

Matt
Member Avatar
That seems confusing, I think that if it is this two tiered system this will cause problems VERY quickly inregards to development.
Posted Image

niniendowarrior
Matt
May 26 2011, 06:45 PM
That seems confusing, I think that if it is this two tiered system this will cause problems VERY quickly inregards to development.
Agreed. This seems downright confusing. 256 mb is a very hard slash too when compared to the original specs. This does not seem to be a smart move at all.

Matt
Member Avatar
niniendowarrior
May 26 2011, 06:47 PM
Matt
May 26 2011, 06:45 PM
Agreed. This seems downright confusing. 256 mb is a very hard slash too when compared to the original specs. This does not seem to be a smart move at all.
If Sony has done this they have created alot of issues for themselves.

I imagine aswell that people will go and just get the cheaper system that has the cuts and won't be able to run some games which will cause a backlash for Sony for sure.

I imagine to the average gamer or parent they will just see an NGP game and assume it will run on that system.
Posted Image

niniendowarrior
Matt
May 26 2011, 06:57 PM
niniendowarrior
May 26 2011, 06:47 PM

Quoting limited to 2 levels deep
If Sony has done this they have created alot of issues for themselves.

I imagine aswell that people will go and just get the cheaper system that has the cuts and won't be able to run some games which will cause a backlash for Sony for sure.

I imagine to the average gamer or parent they will just see an NGP game and assume it will run on that system.
I personally feel that developers will make the game that supports the low-end system as opposed of making the most of what the high-end systems can do. I'm sure there are special cases like one or two titles, but I think people will likely be getting the cheaper system. I know I'm interested in a cheaper alternative.

Mk II
Member Avatar
Elite
if Sony goes ahead with this idea it will hurt them very badly because it effectively splits the installed base and creates two sub-platforms. Developers will hate it, it's a marketing nightmare and retail wont like the confusion this may cause with consumers (ie Granny buying the wrong game for little Tommy and returning it). I will repeat the prediction i made when Nintendo unveiled the Wii: at the end of the day, Sony will count its blessings (and losses!) and entirely pull out of the gaming industry. and the handheld devision will be the first to go.
Posted Image

Matt
Member Avatar
Mk II
May 27 2011, 03:18 AM
if Sony goes ahead with this idea it will hurt them very badly because it effectively splits the installed base and creates two sub-platforms. Developers will hate it, it's a marketing nightmare and retail wont like the confusion this may cause with consumers (ie Granny buying the wrong game for little Tommy and returning it). I will repeat the prediction i made when Nintendo unveiled the Wii: at the end of the day, Sony will count its blessings (and losses!) and entirely pull out of the gaming industry. and the handheld devision will be the first to go.
This is what I'm thinking, Also some companies may only bring out "one spec" versions, Lets not forget the issue that sony just faced with the Network aswell.
Posted Image

niniendowarrior
I kind of agree with the assessment, but I also think Sony will probably stay for a good deal. They've got a pretty good run with the Playstation brand and I just don't see them letting it go at this point in time.

The fact of the matter is, decisions in that company aren't as clear cut as just having one guy say OK, or NO GO. I'm sure that the 3G versions of the NGP has more to do with Sony Consumer Electronics (possibly Sony Ericsson) than Sony Computer Entertainment. Different branches want different things and Howard Stringer has to make sense of it all. The two tier system is a bad idea and for a platform at launch to have this is going to be confusing for everyone.
Edited by niniendowarrior, May 27 2011, 04:26 PM.

niniendowarrior
NGP uses software emulation for backwards compatibility of PSP titles. It only supports the downloadable PSP titles.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/06/02/sony-ngp-confirmed-to-be-backwards-compatible-with-downloaded-ps/

niniendowarrior
Sony Playstation Vita Specs:

• ARM Cortex A9 core (4 core) CPU
  • SGX543MP4+ GPU
  • 5" OLED touchscreen (16:9, 960 x 544)
  • 5" rear touch pad
  • Two analog joysticks
  • Front and rear cameras
  • 3G, 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 2.1+EDR and GPS
  • Six-axis motion sensing system (three-axis gyroscope, three-axis accelerometer), Three-axis electronic compass
  • Built in GPS (3G/Wi-Fi model only)
  • PS Vita card slot
  • Memory card slot
  • SIM card slot (3G/Wi-Fi model only)
  • Multi-use port (for USB data communication, DC IN, Audio [Stereo Out / Mono In], Serial data communication)
  • Headset jack

http://www.gizmag.com/sony-playstation-vita/18825/

There's the PS Vita card slot, and the Memory card slot. No details yet as to what they are though.
Edited by niniendowarrior, Jun 8 2011, 11:24 PM.

niniendowarrior
Sony PS Vita FAQ covers a lot of ground of what the PS Vita can do.

http://us.playstation.com/support/answer/index.htm?a_id=2254

Meptrep
Member Avatar
Dreams of Dreamcast
Wait... How many people on this forum are getting the PSVita? I actually haven't heard too much about it, as the only games that I would play on it are the MGS games.
Posted Image

niniendowarrior
I'm certainly contemplating on the Vita over the 3DS. I think the games need some time to mature and develop, and I'll certainly wait for it. Just not that impressed with the 3DS over all, hardware-wise and software-wise.

Uncharted looks good on the Vita. Then there's F1 2011, Street Fighter X Tekken, and Mortal Kombat. Those are the ones I'm looking at right now, but I'm certainly not going to be an early adopter.

Shangyou
Member Avatar
Dreamwalker
I think the problem with the 3DS is that not everybody views 3D images the same way. For some(like me), the 3D effect looks amazing and I can really see the depth when the 3D slider is placed all the way up. However, the same can't be said for my friends and classmates. About half of them can see the image the way I do but the other half see the 3D effect with less depth and one of my classmates can't even see the 3D effect at all(the whole screen is a blur to her).
I guess the PS Vita might overtake the 3DS in sales once it's released due to this fact alone as the PS Vita does not utilize 3D technology. I think it's a real shame though because I'm in love with my 3DS and it's 3D screen. T_T
Posted Image

niniendowarrior
I personally view 3D in a bad light in general. I've gone through many 3D demonstrations and watched 3D movies like Tron and came away completely unimpressed. I just don't see depth in the 3D screen at all. I see flat diorama like visuals which completely ruins the immersion for me. The best stereoscopic display for me was that desert racing game on the PS3 where the 3D is really subtle. Apart from the leaves that pop out at the very corner of the screen, the entire image was just plain 2D. 3D for me works best as a complement to the 2D imagery, not with the entire screen in 3D.

How I really wish Nintendo ditched the lenticular display for an XL-sized 2D screen with just a tad bit more horsepower. As it stands, I'm ready for a change and the Vita seems to be all that right now.

3DS has some good games that I am interested. Super Street Fighter IV, Splinter Cell, Tekken, Assassin's Creed (which was a no-show on E3), F1 2011 and I'm sure the list will grow. But I'm of the belief that the Vita games will eventually beef up after its release. Plus I skipped the PSP cycle, so there's a whole bunch of new games for me.

Whether 3DS wins again is an entirely different matter than what platform I'm interested in. Personally, the 3DS does nothing for me and that's all that counts when my money is involved.
Edited by niniendowarrior, Jun 14 2011, 05:02 PM.

Matt
Member Avatar
I won't be getting the Vita until the European pricing goes down unfortunately
Posted Image

niniendowarrior
Playstation Vita launches on Feb 22, 2012 everywhere else outside of Japan.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/10/18/get-ready-ps-vita-is-coming-february-22nd/#utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=vita_101811

Not sure I feel good about that as they would've missed the holiday season.

Personally, I'm going to wait it out and see how it looks like in the coming years, with the Vita being my preference over the 3DS.
Edited by niniendowarrior, Oct 18 2011, 06:43 PM.

TNT737373
Member Avatar
Veteran
niniendowarrior
Oct 18 2011, 06:41 PM
Not sure I feel good about that as they would've missed the holiday season.
Personally, I'm going to wait it out and see how it looks like in the coming years, with the Vita being my preference over the 3DS.
Ouch, some executives are definitely pissed off about that leap, that's gotta hurt launch sales dramatically. In my opinion the target audience for the Vita is middle class 8-16 y.o., and unless they have birthdays in March-May, they're not gonna receive the PSP 2. Idk about you guys when you were younger, but expensive new toys like this I could only my parents to buy me at either Christmas or on my Birthday. Begging, being good for weeks at a time, or flat out temper tantrums never worked for items over a $100 bucks! Or maybe you had rich relatives, for me, I've had to give them money... lol
Anyway thank god it plays all prior PSP titles, that's a major plus along with graphics upscaling. Also the Vita has two sticks, finally! I think that's an essential addition too. Well I'm gonna pick up an original PSP around february, missed out on the first wave so I think I can get one cheap then. And I'm with you matt and nintendowarrior, except I probably won't get the Vita until the PSP 3 comes out, ha.
Edited by TNT737373, Oct 18 2011, 09:21 PM.

Shangyou
Member Avatar
Dreamwalker
TNT737373
Oct 18 2011, 09:15 PM
Idk about you guys when you were younger, but expensive new toys like this I could only my parents to buy me at either Christmas or on my Birthday.
Tell me about it. It's even worse when your birthday is 9 days before Christmas (like me) and your parents only give you one present to celebrate both occasions. :(
Posted Image

TNT737373
Member Avatar
Veteran
Shangyou
Oct 19 2011, 12:47 AM
TNT737373
Oct 18 2011, 09:15 PM
Idk about you guys when you were younger, but expensive new toys like this I could only my parents to buy me at either Christmas or on my Birthday.
Tell me about it. It's even worse when your birthday is 9 days before Christmas (like me) and your parents only give you one present to celebrate both occasions. :(
:( ...Damn, sorry. Yeah as a kid I remember being appreciative that my birthday wasn't near Christmas, my friend had his right on the 25th, and I remember him being pissed by the time May rollled around and he saw I had a GameCube in the middle of the year. That was an awesome moment, but not for long,...his grandparent's were rich so he would just ask them and they would gift immediately, like a genie granting wishes. lol. He got an Xbox soon after, and I immediately felt ashamed of my little GC.. ha. Halo just hit me in the face like a brick, in such a good way, ha. Hadn't felt the same since N64, so I was over at his house a lot.. :-8 Luigi's mansion just didn't do it for me.. lol.

My apologies that you have yours near Christmas, that's one of those terrible childhood circumstances you have to live with for a while, like if your last name rhymes with a body part, or also if people never pronounce it right.. lol. One of my curses.. ha
Edited by TNT737373, Oct 19 2011, 11:26 AM.

niniendowarrior
According to this site, the price in British pounds are:
230 for the Wi-Fi only model, and 280 for the 3G model

http://www.redbull.co.uk/cs/Satellite/en_UK/Article/PlayStation-Vita-is-almost-here-%E2%80%93-but-is-the-021243107889920

I don't know British economy prices, but those DO sound quite steep and that's a shame.

niniendowarrior
Playstation Vita European Launch Line Up Revealed.

http://psp.ign.com/articles/121/1213182p1.html

Confirmed for launch in European territories:
Uncharted: Golden Abyss
Wipeout 2048
Reality Fighters
Little Deviants
ModNation Racers: Road Trip
Everybody's Golf
Escape Plan
Gravity Rush
Hustle Kings
MotorStorm RC
Top Darts
Super Stardust Delta

Additionally, a list of some of the future titles in the works for PlayStation Vita was released, including major titles as well as indies and downloadable games.

Army Corps of Hell :: Square Enix
Asphalt: Injection :: Ubisoft
Disgaea 3 Returns :: NIS America
Dungeon Hunter: Alliance :: Ubisoft
Dynasty Warriors Next :: Tecmo Koei
EA Sports FIFA Football :: EA
F1 2011 :: Codemasters
LEGO Harry Potter: Years 5-7 :: WB Games
Lumines Electronic Symphony :: Ubisoft
Michael Jackson: The Experience HD :: Ubisoft
Ninja Gaiden Sigma:: Tecmo Koei
Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath :: OddWorld Inhabitants
Puddle :: Neko Entertainment
Pure Chess :: RebelPlay
Putty Squad Vita :: System 3
Rayman Origins :: Ubisoft
Ridge Racer :: Bandai Namco
Shinobido 2 :: Bandai Namco
Silent Hill: Book of Memories :: Konami
StarDrone Extended :: BeatShapers
Super Monkey Ball: Banana Splitz :: SEGA
Supremacy MMA :: 505 Games
Tales from Space: Mutant Blobs Attack :: Drinkbox Studios
The Treasures of Montezuma Blitz :: Alawar Entertainment
Touch My Katamari :: Bandai Namco
Troopies :: Bloober Team
Ultimate Marvel Vs. Capcom 3 :: Capcom
Urban Trials :: Tate Multimedia
Virtua Tennis 4: World Tour Edition :: SEGA
Orc Attack :: Casual Brothers
Ben 10 Galactic Racing :: Bandai Entertainment
Dragon's Racing :: Ignition Entertainment
Robot Rescue Revolution :: Teyon
Mortal Kombat :: WB Games
Assassin's Creed :: Ubisoft
Bioshock Vita :: Take Two
Street Fighter x Tekken :: Capcom
Call of Duty Vita :: Activision Blizzard

Man... I'm just going to wait this out and see who has the better line up (and pricing). No need to rush and buy one with this line up.

niniendowarrior
Multiple Playstation Vita Memory Cards are needed for multiple PSN accounts according to Sony, which I guess might be OK but I don't know PSN so, I'm not entirely sure of the ramifications of this. The pricing though is pretty awful.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/245022/ps_vita_memory_card_prices_revealed_far_from_a_deal.html

The cards are allegedly priced at: $30 for 4GB, $45 for 8GB, $70 for 16GB, and $120 for 32GB.

Sony claims these prices aren't final.

http://www.slashgear.com/gamestops-ps-vita-memory-card-pricing-not-official-09201365/

Quote:

GameStop listed the 4GB memory card at $29.99, but Sony reps say that it should be $24.99. The 8GB memory card is listed as $49.99 but it, too, should be corrected to $39.99.

Those prices don't excite me either. They seem to be trying really hard to make sure people don't buy the machine. Ugh.

niniendowarrior
Comparison of screen quality using Monster Hunter between PS Vita, PSP and 3DS.

http://tinycartridge.com/post/14366097830/comparing-the-oled-lcd-screens-of-ps-vita-psp

I LOVE that Vita screen. Colours are crisp and vibrant. Too bad it's plagued with a lot of crazy pricing strategies.

Cabanon
Elite
just red that its already been hacked. lol. how surprizing.

niniendowarrior
Cabanon
Dec 18 2011, 09:44 AM
just red that its already been hacked. lol. how surprizing.
If that is true... that's hilarious considering that Sony introduced this proprietary memory card. :D

DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Other Video Games · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: