Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
PS4; Formally PS4 being announced Feb 20th
Topic Started: Jan 31 2013, 05:57 PM (9,079 Views)
hockeylife21
? Seems like sony is announcing the PS4 this month kind of excited but worried at the same time. Hopefully its inovative and not overpriced. I don't need a PS4 if its just an upgraded PS3 when I can build a PC instead. What are your guys thoughts?
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

DeeMoney
Member Avatar
Outback Adventurer
Interesting. I would have thought that they would have waited for E3 this year. But maybe they are trying to get the jump on Microsoft.
Nintendo Network ID - DeeMoney19
PSN Network ID - hallxx81xx
Xbox Live Gamertag - DeeMoney 2K19

Posted Image

The Red Shadow
Member Avatar
The Seeker
Well, my personal thoughts on the entire next gen of consoles has already been mentioned before, but as for that video I would say it is teasing the PS4. I'm pretty sure I saw 4s all over that thing. I can't provide specific examples but if you watch it closely I think there are 4s or shapes that can be construed for the number 4 quite often.

Don't get me wrong, I'm still excited to see what the next batch of consoles will bring to the table, but I'm out of the game myself. Too many golden oldies just waiting to be played by yours truly. :smokin:

hockeylife21
They said they aren't announcing the system untill Microsoft announces the 720. So maybe this is gonna be something else? That'd be kind of funny considering its the #1 Trending worldwide topic on twitter and so many people would be disappointed haha.

YogurtStorm
Member Avatar
Your mom is a nice lady
Dude, I don't know what this is... But I am HYPED as HELL :eh:
My Youtube Channel: All game. No bla-bla. PS4 ShareFactory gameplay
Posted Image Home of Conker's Corner

floorcat
Member Avatar
Nintendo sixty-floorcat :P
YogurtStorm
Jan 31 2013, 06:16 PM
Dude, I don't know what this is... But I am HYPED as HELL :eh:
Ditto... I'm pretty crazy stoked. :w00t:
Now Playing: Clash Royale (mobile), Assassin's Creed: Unity, Ratchet & Clank: Full Frontal Assault, Project CARS, Uncharted 4 Survival Mode ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ

stinger9142
Member Avatar
Endure and survive...
eh... I love my PS3, but am becoming increasingly unhappy with the direction of console gaming as a whole. It is easy for me to say right now that "I won't be getting one", but when I see the beautiful games it will be harder to resist. :lol:

Spidercolt
Member Avatar
Mario Maniac
Well I think it might not be the PS4 yet because they should wait for E3 unless they want the head start on Microsoft. But I'm just now getting a PS3 :( lol
Get :n64: Or Get Out!

NTSC Collection: 81 Games
61 Cart Only
20 Complete In Box

GameCube: 78 Games Complete

My Collection

Nintendo Network ID: Spidercolt.

YogurtStorm
Member Avatar
Your mom is a nice lady
Spidercolt
Jan 31 2013, 06:40 PM
Well I think it might not be the PS4 yet because they should wait for E3 unless they want the head start on Microsoft. But I'm just now getting a PS3 :( lol
Don't worry :)

Knowing Sony, they'll continue to support the PS3 for years to come, even years AFTER the release of the PS4. I mean it's like 6 or 7 years in and we're still getting amazing exclusives like a new God of War and The last of Us.

The PS3 is still FAR from obsoletion :D
Edited by YogurtStorm, Jan 31 2013, 06:43 PM.

The Red Shadow
Member Avatar
The Seeker
Amen, Yogurt, amen. Even though I waited almost a year to crack open my PS3 and start playing it, I know I have much to look forward to in the coming year.

Spidercolt
Member Avatar
Mario Maniac
If this is true I might just wait and get the ps4 but I read an article (But you can't always trust them) saying that we were still a year or two before the 720 or PS4 would be released. But then you come back.. Microsoft and Sony need to put a new console out because Nintendo's is already out and killing it in sales!

61 Cart Only
20 Complete In Box

My Collection

dataDyne
Forum Dinosaur!
I must say I am pretty excited to see the unveiling of the PS4, but I must say, is it really necessary? The Wii needed an upgrade, and the 360 does to a lesser extent, but the PS3 is just a beastly, gorgeous piece of hardware that could probably keep going for another 5 years without losing any relevance at all (although I do understood it's a necessary business move, otherwise they'll be left choking on Nintendo and Microsoft's dust again for 2 years). Anyone with me?
Give this man a fish, and he can throw it up eleven times
-alxbly
PSN: LifeIsPreachy
Mario Kart Wii: 0088 - 2869 - 9843

hockeylife21
Nah the PS3 is so much weaker to the 360. You never notice any framerate issues with multiplats? Skyrim was trash on the PS3 as well as Bayonetta

Spidercolt
Member Avatar
Mario Maniac
dataDyne
Jan 31 2013, 06:55 PM
I must say I am pretty excited to see the unveiling of the PS4, but I must say, is it really necessary? The Wii needed an upgrade, and the 360 does to a lesser extent, but the PS3 is just a beastly, gorgeous piece of hardware that could probably keep going for another 5 years without losing any relevance at all (although I do understood it's a necessary business move, otherwise they'll be left choking on Nintendo and Microsoft's dust again for 2 years). Anyone with me?
The 360 to me really doesn't need an upgrade or the ps3 either. They both are great consoles I don't see one necessary at the moment but its still cool :D

61 Cart Only
20 Complete In Box

My Collection

stinger9142
Member Avatar
Endure and survive...
dataDyne
Couldn't agree more Dd.

yogurt and red: I am confident we will be enjoying our ps3's for years to come :D

hockeylife: I have to sharply disagree. In fact in terms of actual power I have heard many programmers attest to the superiority of the ps3. I have never heard a programmer say the 360 was more powerful. I am not saying there aren't people out there of that opinion, but I have heard the complete opposite a lot. The cpu's run at the same speed, but the 7 individual cores of the ps3 are said to be better than the 360's 3 dual cores. I have heard the 360 is easier to program for though.

I also have heard that there are 2 ways to program for the ps3, one simple and one complex. When programmers take the easy route (typically for games that are on both consoles), it doesn't use the system properly. Hence poor frame rates. To me, that is on the game makers, not the system its' self.

The Ninja Gaiden programmers did kind of a neat thing that I heard about. They pushed both systems to the absolute limit. If I recall correctly the 360 actually caught fire at the point that the ps3 was still pushing forward.

Personally I get tired of seeing games that were on both systems be limited due to the capacity issues to fit on 360 compatible media. Stories of GTA IV shrinking from a state to JUST Liberty City, so they could fit it on a DVD as opposed BlueRay

I know it is all subjective, and you are certainly entitled to your opinion of course. :D I just wanted to state my 2 cents

DeeMoney
Member Avatar
Outback Adventurer
We could def go on and on all day about who thinks which system is better, but it's just like bashing your head against a brick wall.

Everyone will have there opinion on each. It's no secret that I'm an avid Microsoft gamer, but I tell you im still interested in what Sony has to offer in the next Gen of consoles. You never know, I might just switch to the dark side :phear: :smokin:

Posted Image

YogurtStorm
Member Avatar
Your mom is a nice lady
dataDyne
Totally, Datadyne. The PS3 still has tremendous potential that might just lie in it's irrational (at least from a business perspective) use of EIGHT proprietary and expensive cell processors that were created by Toshiba and IBM in collaboration with Sony. I still think it's crazy that games on the PS3 are looking better and more glorious, whilst... I don't know, I feel the 360 doesn't impress as much somehow, visually (as of recent).

I also truly believe Microsoft needs to toss their :pottymouth: down and come up with more creative and amazing exclusives. Gears of War and Halo aren't cutting it anymore, and Forza is only as much fun as a driving game can be. Microsoft has RAREWARE, what the HELL are they doing making them develop Kinect Sports games!? :dance:
Edited by YogurtStorm, Jan 31 2013, 09:38 PM.

stinger9142
Member Avatar
Endure and survive...
I know you are a Microsoft fan DeeMoney, but nobody is perfect ;)

TOTALLY kidding :lol:

Come to the Dark side, we have cookies Posted Image

I am interested to hear what they have to say, but I am sure the ps4 will just be a further step towards digital only games :nope:

DeeMoney
Member Avatar
Outback Adventurer
Ouch Stinger, that really hurts. But Cookies you say?? I like cookies....... :360:

Posted Image

stinger9142
Member Avatar
Endure and survive...
You know I am joking man :D

I totally respect everybody's right to like the system they do.

Sometimes hearts do change. Back in the late 90's I HATED Sony and about worshiped Nintendo. These days I much prefer Sony to Nintendo. I never bought into the cube much, and despised the Wii. I never have liked Microsoft. I remember first reading about them making the X Box in an EGM magazine ages ago. I didn't like the sounds of it then, and never really changed. I did briefly consider a 360 prior to picking up my 1st ps3, but decided on the ps3.

Different strokes for different folks though ;)

YogurtStorm
Member Avatar
Your mom is a nice lady
For me, see, never got a PS2 or cube... though, I DID end up getting an Xbox. Why? Because at the time when I wanted a new system (2003-ish), it was a technologically superior machine to the PS2 (as far as tech specs go). Capcom's Steel Battalion simulator was actually fully steered from PS2 and over to the Xbox for that very reason, and to be honest, lots of the games were graphically immersive and fun. Also, the fact RareWare was sold to Microsoft convinced me that Microsoft would hold the future.

Today, the roles seemed to have shifted in that regard. Sony has packed the PS3 with more power than it can use with proprietary technology that can ONLY work amazingly if the developers are talented and patient enough to work with it. This is why PS3-Exclusive games have mind-blowing visuals as compared to the multi-platform titles.
Edited by YogurtStorm, Jan 31 2013, 10:26 PM.

scooter77
Member Avatar
New Zealand Member
Im not going to lie to you......im excited as hell :dance: im going to have to start saving now :yeah:

I hope they dont go to digital only games Stinger because that would make me sad :(
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
-Albert Einstein

PAL Collection: 243/243
NTSC-U only Exclusives: 50/50
NTSC-U / NTSC-J Exclusives: 11/11
NTSC-J only Exclusives: 85/85
64dd 0/9

Only 9 to go.

YogurtStorm
Member Avatar
Your mom is a nice lady
scooter77
Jan 31 2013, 10:44 PM
Im not going to lie to you......im excited as hell :dance: im going to have to start saving now :yeah:

I hope they dont go to digital only games Stinger because that would make me sad :(
I wouldn't buy it.

To be honest, they'll push it with SAVINGS, but they can't push on-shelf discs yet. The public is not yet ready to download/stream multiple titles that would require GIGABYTES upon GIGABYTES of constant bandwidth. The physical medium is still here for a good while :)

DeeMoney
Member Avatar
Outback Adventurer
I really hope so. Digital only copies would suck big time. I would guarantee if they went down that road, sales would be extremely low. I know a lot of you guys wouldn't buy it for that exact reason, which means a huge % of the population wouldn't buy it either.

it would make absolutely no sense to bring out a digital only console. That would be console suicide. :facepalm:

Posted Image

Matt
Member Avatar
Kick, Punch, It's all in the mind
Modern consoles need a upgrade, the low frame rate (30fps) confirmed with low resolution and lack of AA makes me feel sick.

If the console is digital only though I won't be buying ome
Posted Image

floorcat
Member Avatar
I'm sincerely LOVING reading about everyone's perspectives and thoughts in this thread!! ^_^

Most everyone has a lot of good viewpoints here and on this impending console generation, and I can totally sympathize (or at least in some cases, empathize) with basically every point put forth!

So here's my thoughts on the this announcement teaser, PS3/360 favoritism, the PS4, digital only downloads, and the next console generation...

I continue to stand by my first post here, that I'm totally stoked about what Sony could be teasing. It's gotta be something major (so no, it couldn't be a new PS Move controller attachment), and the fact that they'd announce the announcement teaser on the PlayStation Blog means that it's got to be something PlayStation-related. I'm :w00t: SUPER PSYCHED :w00t: for a possible PS4 announcement, but part of me feels the same bittersweet tug some of you have... I've invested so much into the PS3, and it feels like it's really hitting its stride... that it's still "too early" to be getting ready for PS4. There's too much life left in the PS3 for it to be removed from Sony's limelight!! (Part of me is actually hoping that they'll announce a redesigned, cheaper PSVita, with greater connectivity to the PS3! Or... even just a non-proprietary PSVita memory stick!!) :lol:

PS3 vs. 360:
Spoiler: click to toggle

So yeah the PS4... it'll have some amazing specs, and (hopefully) some amazing launch games. It'd be a little upsetting if most of its games were digital-only, but I highly doubt Sony would go as far as to cut off physical games entirely. (At least not again... and not yet. I'm sure they learned something from their PSPgo!! :facepalm: ) The digital-only games debate is kind of a silly one, IMO. The physical media isn't dying anytime soon, but it is definitely dwindling faster than many of us (collectors especially!) would like, and there's nothing that can be done about it. I, like many of you, LOVE my physical games... just the tactile sensation of holding a physical item from my "library" is so much more satisfying than scrolling down a list of downloaded games in a digital folder. I'll even go out of my way to buy a (oftentimes import-only) physical copy of a digital game I already own!! But, much like the argument of MP3s over CDs, the convenience of having a game already on your system, ready to play, cannot be ignored. Not just with my PS3, but even with my PSVita, there have been COUNTLESS times where I wanted to play a game of which I had only a physical copy... but didn't want to bother getting up and walking the (probably 5 feet or less) to find the game and loading it into the system, when there was already other (great) digital games right there and ready to play. In some rare cases, the only physical copy I own is a (still un-opened) limited collector's edition, yet I can still enjoy the full game digitally. And speaking of collectors... I think there will always be a market for us. Back to the music analogy, LPs are essentially extinct from retail, yet there are still droves of people who collect/buy/sell them. Even if physical games production were to cease to exist from 2014 onwards, there are still PLENTY of games from the past 30 years to buy/sell/trade. And even if the physical games themselves cease to be produced for retail, there will always be special exclusive (non-digital) items to pick up, especially for the more successful releases (I'm thinking of my Art of Journey artbook... a limited edition physical item for a digital-only game... granted the game later got a physical release).

Anyways, back to the PS4... I'm hearing a lot of buzz around a touchpad on the controller and a share feature. To me (right now) the rumored touchpad on the controller sounds like a make-shift answer to the Wii U... >_< All they need instead of adding a touchpad to their controller is to really push the PS Vita!! Seriously... bundle it into a deluxe bundle with some cross-controller exclusive!! I've just started playing the cross-controller DLC pack for LittleBigPlanet2 the other day, and it. is. awesome. It's Wii U gameplay right there! I was playing a lag-free game with 3 other (random) people online, with a multi-touch front screen and rear (multi-)touch pad. The "Share" feature sounds pretty awesome... definitely making this coming Sony console more of an online, connected one... not just in terms of DRM/download-only/cloud-saved games... but also in terms of personal networking and sharing with friends. This is a GOOD thing.

Speaking of online sharing, I think it's a great, great thing that Nintendo finally acknowledged the importance/existence of the internet in gaming, and they really have built something special with the online connectivity in the Wii U. The Miiverse... in particular, the ability to share messages & screenshots with friends and strangers alike is proving to be a really innovative feature, and this will only push Sony & Microsoft to try to connect people even more. It's a no-brainer that Sony and Microsoft will preserve their PSN and XBL networks, complete with friend lists and trophies/achievements (this is likely responsible for many of their players' allegiances in the current generation, after all)... and it'll be interesting to see how they push the connectivity further, beyond our closed circles of gaming buddies, just as Nintendo has with the Miiverse. I think this "connectedness" is the facet of gaming that everyone should be focused/excited for... the age of offline gaming has really, finally ended. For better or worse. (There, I said it.)
Now Playing: Clash Royale (mobile), Assassin's Creed: Unity, Ratchet & Clank: Full Frontal Assault, Project CARS, Uncharted 4 Survival Mode ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ

floorcat
Member Avatar
... not totally related, but here's a quick snap I took of the cross-controller DLC for LittleBigPlanet2 (which I mentioned in my HUUUUUGE wall of text above) in action...

Posted Image

As you can see, the Vita is showing a sort of "diagram version" of what's on the PS3/TV, and to get the green blocks to fall down, I have to "push" them down using the back touch pad on the Vita, and then I can use the Vita's standard controls to control my little SackPerson on the TV screen across the gap.

Other neat features showcased in the DLC include "worm holes" in the PS3 screen, where my character would transport to a special Vita section of the level displayed on the Vita, while other players I'm playing with online continue on in the regular level, bypassing the worm hole, and yet their portion of the level is affected in real time by switches and things I might hit/twist/move in my parallel level. Wii U-mimicry craziness!!

YogurtStorm
Member Avatar
Your mom is a nice lady
Cross-Controller looks fun! :D

As for PS4...

Killzone 4, Uncharted 4 and Resistance 4 as launch titles, anyone? XD

retrozombieslayer
Member Avatar
Holy Nintendo, Batman!
Let's see... Walking Dead on the 10th and PlayStation 4 on the 20th? It's gonna be a good month. :D
Collection: NES, SNES, N64, GameCube, Wii, PS1, PS2, Dreamcast, Atari 2600, Xbox 360, Game Boy, Game Boy Advance SP, DS Lite, DSi, PSP-1000

My (horrifically outdated) Horror Blog:
http://horrorshowspooktacular.blogspot.com/

dataDyne
Forum Dinosaur!
Great post floorcat! Just one counter-point though: I don't believe Sony will be saying goodbye to the PS3 once the fourth iteration makes its way to shelves. The PS3 is on fire right now, as it has been since 2009 when it finally shook its 'failed launch' image (coincidentally this is when I bought mine), so I have no doubt that Sony, and developers, will strongly support it for years after the PS4 is released. If not, they are insane!
Give this man a fish, and he can throw it up eleven times
-alxbly
PSN: LifeIsPreachy
Mario Kart Wii: 0088 - 2869 - 9843

ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums with no limits on posts or members.
Learn More · Register for Free
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Playstation 4 · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: