Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Mod N. American N64 Console for Japanese Games; Play NTSC-J games on NTSC consoles
Topic Started: Mar 2 2013, 11:01 AM (2,817 Views)
bluedogrulez
Member Avatar
Racing for Fulcon Capital
The question is often asked whether North American N64 (aka NTSC) consoles can play Japanese (aka NTSC-J) carts. The answer is yes with a not-so hard physical modification to the cart slot area of the NTSC console. The post will show you how this mod is done so you can play awesome Japanese releases like Sin & Punishment. (This mod also works if you want to play NTSC games on a NTSC-J console).

The cart area is comprised of three parts: the slot, the slot doors and base. The NTSC base has two tabs that physically prevent a Japanese cart from fitting into an NTSC console. So you can open up your console and remove the base, which also means the slot doors must be removed. Easy, but aesthetically not great.

The other option is to remove the tabs from the base. The post will show you how.

Needed:
Gamebit
Dremel/rotary tool
Pointed dremel tool bit
Phillips screw driver
Emery board

Steps
1. Open console using gamebit
2. Detach slot base from console to with screw driver
Posted Image
3. Use dremel to drill though and shave tabs away. A razor blade will not work!
4. Shave/shape cuts with emery board
Posted Image
5. Reattach slot base to console top with screw driver.
Posted Image
6. Close console up with gamebit.
7. Insert and play your favorite NTSC-J game and play!
Posted Image

As you may know, NTSC consoles cannot play PAL games, so the is no similar mod for playing PAL games on NTSC consoles. But there are many Japanese only releases and some (S&P, Super Mario 64/Wave Race rumble versions)that are quite playable for non-Japanese speakers. Hence the reason for this mod.
Switch Friend Code: SW-0786-9287-1202 (bluedogBDR)
MK8Deluxe Tourney: N64Forever.com 2332-7277-8283
Nintendo Network ID: BDR2010 / Twitter: @bluedogrulez
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
Threads like this one are what makes Nintendo 64 Forever such a wonderful resource. Thanks for posting this info!
"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." - Arthur Schopenhauer

Posted Image

Mk II
Member Avatar
Elite
Alternatively, just remove the entire slot base.
Much easier and reversible
Posted Image

floorcat
Member Avatar
Nintendo sixty-floorcat :P
Excellent guide, bluedog! :yeah:
I went the easy route when I "fixed" my N64 to play JP imports, and did the option MkII mentioned. The only downside is that the slot base is no longer present to hold the spring-loaded slot doors in place. Not a huge issue, especially if you always leave a N64 cart loaded in the console. But that also means you have all these extra loose plastic pieces to keep track of, if you ever intend to enjoy the "reversible" aspect.
Now Playing: Clash Royale (mobile), The Swapper, Ratchet & Clank: Full Frontal Assault, Project CARS, Uncharted 4 Survival Mode ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ

bluedogrulez
Member Avatar
Thanks Grizz and floorcat!

@MKII: I went the easy route on another console. Here's the bad aethetics issue I mentioned above (too better illustrate the point for those deciding between options:

Posted Image

Functional but kinda ugly.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Xephyrian
Member Avatar
Master Chief of the Universe
Yeah i had mine like that for a bit Bdr but I got sick of the look and also dust can get into the contacts that way.
Posted Image

brown duckz
Member Avatar
Never understood modifying the system when you can just put a NA rear on the JP cartridge.....

Especially if you just have a few games to play.
I currently own humble, but nice collections of NTSC-U; NES, SNES, N64, GameCube, Wii

Currently taking a break from a 2012 collecting binge.

bluedogrulez
Member Avatar
True, that is an option, but for me, the NTSC-J backs are part of the allure/mystique of those carts:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

regnad
Member Avatar
Button Masher
Do NA games play on Japanese systems without modification?

bluedogrulez
Member Avatar
@ Regnad: My understanding is that the NTSC-J console slot area has the same type of physical block to playing NTSC games--the tabs are in a different location. Indeed, the above pic of the back of a NTSC-J game indicates this.

This was discussed here. See Scooter's post.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Nadim9067
Member Avatar
Trigger Happy
I'm considering this with a Daiei Hawks console for PAL
:whistle:
''Now this is what I call a Platform Game''
-> Personal contact details in my profile! <-

bluedogrulez
Member Avatar
@Nadim: wait! Stop the the cutting! The Hawks console is NTSC-J; this physical mod will not allow PAL games to operate on a Hawks console UNLESS you also install a PAL board in the Hawks console. If you are going to use a NTSC TV, you would then also need a PAL to NTSC signal converter.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Nadim9067
Member Avatar
Trigger Happy
oh god..well i haven't started yet!
im in aus so well everything here is PAL.
i'm considering just taking off the shell of my PAL and the daiei hawks shell, then putting it onto my old PAL console?
is this possible? i've only read a little bit but that was essentially what i was going to try to do

bluedogrulez
Member Avatar
As far as i know, yes. But you'd also have to cut the cart slot base (or use you PAL one) for pal games to be inserted.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

clarky_n64
Member Avatar
Modding Monster
The cart base from a JPN console doesn't need modifying if your putting in a PAL console. PAL and JPN carts have the same cut out.

With this said, I personally wouldn't mess with a Daiel Hawks console as they are now very sort after. Just use it to play the NTSC exclusives instead.
Clarky & Smithy Creations YouTube Channel

Nadim9067
Member Avatar
Trigger Happy
Yeah guess i'll leave it then.

NTSCN64fanatic
Member Avatar
Established Member
I did this with my japanese spec machine watched a video then had a bash and was easy enough. Japanese box art is just that..beautiful art. I still buy a lot in fact the majority of games us so I can read the text but is great having the choice.
Daiei hawks system wanted...Advice on how to get a mint boxed one from Japan safely appreciated!

Highlander
Member Avatar
Scottish Member
I have a few NTSC carts, I know they can't be played on PAL machines but I notice the slot cut out part of the cart is built into the back of the cart, the front section of the carts look the same.

Would swapping the backs of the two types of NTSC carts allow them to be played in the different NTSC consoles?

Posted ImagePAL Collection No.2 148/243Posted Image

PM me to get added to the N64 Forever Members Map

bluedogrulez
Member Avatar
Yes, that works ntsc to ntsc-j and vice versa.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
Highlander
May 4 2013, 09:55 AM
Would swapping the backs of the two types of NTSC carts allow them to be played in the different NTSC consoles?
Yes and I've done that with many of my Japanese cartridges that I play often. For example, both my Japanese Mario Kart 64 and Super Smash Bros. have North American backs on them now.

Ebay sellers may be interested to discover that I've been offered upwards of 50 US dollars for my modded SSB cartridge which is a substantial bump over the $30 that standard North American cartridges sell for. :)
"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." - Arthur Schopenhauer

Posted Image

ddr2nite
Member Avatar
Controller Collecting Extraordinaire
Love the tutorial bluedog... especially the pictures which will surely help people out when attempting this mod :yeah:

So just to recap for everyone, if you have...

... a North American console
- You can play North American (NTSC) game carts with no modifications (default)
- You can also play Japanese (NTSC-J) game carts if you perform this mod to the slot base and remove the 2 corner tabs
- You can alternatively remove the entire slot base (but that leaves the cart slot uncovered - 2 slot cover pieces are removed) and play both NTSC and NTSC-J game carts
- You cannot play PAL games on your system unless you 1.) swap out the entire main board and 2.) perform the slot base mod

... a Japanese console
- You can play Japanese (NTSC-J) game carts with no modifications (default)
- You can also play North American (NTSC) game carts if you perform a similar mod to the slot base and remove 2 plastic pieces
- You can alternatively remove the entire slot base (but that leaves the cart slot uncovered - 2 slot cover pieces are removed) and play both NTSC and NTSC-J game carts
- You cannot play PAL games on your system unless you swap out the entire main board (no need to perform slot base mod)

... a European/Australian console
- You can play PAL region game carts with no modifications (default)
- You cannot play North American (NTSC) game carts unless you 1.) swap out the entire main board and 2.) perform the slot base mod
- You cannot play Japanese (NTSC-J) game carts unless you swap out the entire main board (no need to perform slot base mod)
Posted ImageClick here to check out my N64 collection.
N64 Controllers: 30/30 Completed | ASCII Controllers: 15/15 Completed
N.A. Boxes: 8/8 Completed | Japan Boxes: 21/21 Completed
Full NTSC-J CIB Set: 198/198 Completed

"trust me, we all started with just one or two games
and then things kinda got out of hand
" - MK II

bluedogrulez
Member Avatar
Thanks, ddr2nite for the tidy summary!
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Motorvating
Member Avatar
Thank you. I'd have never really thought about even trying to play Japanese games on the NA N64. However, now this makes me interested in trying to find/buy Getter Love!!, Rakuga Kids, and Robo Pon so I can play them on the real hardware.
Nintendo Network ID : Sup.Sempai 3DS Friend Code: 3797-7505-9074
Steam: Collette

QuartOfSouls
Member Avatar
bluedogrulez
Mar 2 2013, 11:01 AM
-
Please explain this then.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kypfdyR3-ew

wiregrind
Member Avatar
Highlander
May 4 2013, 09:55 AM
swapping the backs of the two types of NTSC carts allow them to be played in the different NTSC consoles
Swapping the back with the gamebit screwdriver would be amazing considering that the japanese 64 cartridges are so cheap right now.
Edited by wiregrind, Jan 26 2015, 08:22 PM.

Reaper64
Member Avatar
So helpful I needed this. :n64:

gaavoid
Member Avatar
Hi. First post :)

Just thought I'd make a comment about a slightly different/more expensive/tidier method.

I recently bought a Japanese N64 with the intention of modding it to also play US games (I'm based in the UK so wanted the full NTSC 60hz experience).

The console was in great condition and I really didn't want to cut it up or just remove the tray entirely because it's quite ugly to do so and would be quite inviting for dust. I found changing the back of the carts to be a little tedious and I didn't want to get them all mixed up.

After doing some research online, I found that a couple of people had made 3D printed cartridge trays which they've kindly uploaded to the shapeways website where they can be ordered.

Links:
http://www.shapeways.com/product/7T9D5BPYZ/uni64-tray

http://www.shapeways.com/product/VRHZKBHUZ/n64-universal-cartridge-slot

I've received and installed the second one (slightly cheaper). Fits very nicely and looks great too. It feels slightly lighter in weight than the real deal and the plastic doesn't seem as dense, but it's decent quality for a 3D print and I'm really pleased about it overall.

It's entirely possible to print this yourself if you have access to a 3D printer.

I can't comment on the model in the first link, but it looks as good, if not better than the one I had made for me.

Here's some photos I took from when I installed it:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I chose red purely because it matches the expansion pak (not that you'll really see them).

I hope this is helpful to anyone who wants (in my opinion) a slightly better option than the methods already mentioned.

Happy gaming ;)
Edited by gaavoid, Jun 11 2016, 05:38 PM.

bluedogrulez
Member Avatar
That is really cool .... a very tidy solution indeed. Curious to see how well it holds up...the original trays are diamond-hard. Could not get a razor through them...but I'm not sure there is much stress on the piece.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Sgally23
Established Member
Great addition

BetaWolf
Has anyone tried just using a GameShark?
JadeYoshi from GameFAQs.

DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Modding, Repairs & Custom Projects · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: