Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Pro Wrestling anyone?; WWE, TNA, WCW, ECW, etc.
Topic Started: Mar 21 2013, 09:37 PM (3,051 Views)
The Red Shadow
Member Avatar
The Seeker
Anyone into professional wrestling? I've seen it mentioned a few times randomly throughout the forum so I thought I'd start a topic dedicated to professional wrestling/sports entertainment. I am, as a whole, a huge wrestling fan. Have been since I was a kid. I got to see a WWF show in the 80s in Butte, Montana and I was ecstatic! Saw guys like the Honky Tonk Man and Ricky "The Dragon" Steamboat, to name a few. It was pretty awesome and I even got to pull on the ring ropes before they started to shoo all us kids away.

I continued to be a huge fan into the early 90s, although I will admit that the edge was off a little after the Hogan/Andre/Ultimate Warrior days fizzled out. Sometime in the mid 90s I got hooked again when Razor Ramon and Diesel were big and guys like Bret Hart and Shawn Michaels were establishing themselves as singles superstars. I didn't realize what was going on in the business when they jumped to WCW, but would soon get privy to the behind the scenes stuff with the emergence of the internet around the time the Attitude Era blew up in the late 90s. That was when my true passion for pro wrestling exploded. From the McMahon/Stone Cold battle, the rise of The Rock and DX and the truly sinister Ministry of Darkness Undertaker, it was truly a great time to be a fan. Things would taper off a bit as we entered the 2000s, but the introduction of WCW wrestlers to the newly christened WWE after WCW was bought up by Vince McMahon seemed to inject a new life into the company. The Attitude seemed to shrink but the amazing ring work seemed to skyrocket.

Three times the WWE brought their SmackDown crew to my town in the mid 00s and I got to go each time. I saw such stars as Kurt Angle (a favorite of mine), the late Eddie Guerrero, Undertaker, Kane, John Cena, Big Show and countless others. There is nothing quite like going to a live event, that's for sure. Unfortunately, nothing lasts forever, and I think that the last few years have been somewhat boring and disappointing. I don't even watch Raw and SmackDown anymore, thanks mostly to not having cable. But I don't think I'd be quite that into this current PG era. I think Cena is stuffed down everyone's throat and that he needs to have a heel turn, although that is highly unlikely since he makes the company so much money in merchandise sales and whatnot.

The one bright spot right now is my new current favorite wrestler, CM Punk. I think he is a true breath of fresh air in the company. He is a superb talent in and out of the ring. And he brings with him a real pull no punches honesty that makes him a must see guy because you never know when truth and fiction are intermingling.

Although I can't watch on a weekly basis, I do have quite a collection of DVDs and blu-rays and I will list that collection here some time in the near future. For now, I just wanted to open up some discussion about the industry for anyone who follows it. What are your thoughts of the current state of wrestling? Who are your favorite wrestlers? Your favorite company, past or present? I have always been a WWF/WWE guy myself, but I also was pretty fond of ECW and WCW to an extent. I don't pay much attention to TNA but that doesn't mean I discount it in any way. It reminds me of the days when WCW was around and a bunch of guys I loved from the WWF were there and I used to wish they could come back. I don't mind the WWE having competition at all, just wish they were more of a force so WWE would push their product to be better in order to compete.

My favorite wrestlers are as follows:
Kurt Angle
CM Punk
RVD
Kane
Edge
Stone Cold
The Rock (although I admit that I don't like this crap of him coming back from years in Hollywood to main event Wrestlemanias and take the belt off of Punk who had held it for over a year)
Lita
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Phantom
Member Avatar
Veteran
I love WWE im a huge fan of it all though i live in Aus and dont have pay tv i can only watch it once a week for an hour which kinda sucks, my absolute favourite wrestler ever is Rey Mysterio i have all his DVDs, im also a fan of John cena (I have all his DVDs aswell) I used to like Kane but Hes been a bit to friendly lately ^_^ Eddie Guerrero was Defenetly one of the best aswell, I havent watched much of the older Wrestling from WWF and WCW but i have a DVD from the best of RAW from 1992 which i think is cool, Ive also watched a few of the Old WCW matches but not many, But my current thoughts about wrestling is i think they have been letting to many show type wrestlers who talk far to much and are terrible in the ring, but i still enjoy watching it and always will. Some of my favourite older wrestlers are Stone Cold, The Rock, i used to love DX, Thats all for now but i hope more people post here because i love talking about it :D Great Topic red

The Red Shadow
Member Avatar
The Seeker
Bane
Mar 22 2013, 12:10 AM
I used to like Kane but Hes been a bit to friendly lately ^_^
Eddie Guerrero was Defenetly one of the best aswell,
Couldn't agree more with those two statements. Kane could be (and SHOULD BE) a monster heel and should have a better title run than the ones he's had. The return of the mask was so awesome but now I see he is running around with Daniel Bryan dealing with anger management issues and whatever. Such a shame. They could have paired almost anyone else up with DB but instead they tainted The Big Red Machine. Insanity, I tell ya!

As for Eddie, it is such a shame he is no longer with us. He could have made the WWE a far more entertaining place for years to come, even if he wasn't in the ring anymore. Latino Heat lives on in the hearts of us all. 8)

DeeMoney
Member Avatar
Outback Adventurer
NO NO NO NO NO. I just don't don't get what you guys love about it. I'd prefer to watch men fight each other for real, rather than fake sports entertainment.

Just my opinion though guys, Im sorry for bringing negativity to the thread, It's just not my cup of tea :shades:
Nintendo Network ID - DeeMoney19
PSN Network ID - hallxx81xx
Xbox Live Gamertag - DeeMoney 2K19

Posted Image

The Red Shadow
Member Avatar
The Seeker
Its all good, bro. Like you said, it just isn't everyone's cup of tea. It is a male soap opera, presenting the perfect mix of athleticism, showmanship, drama, etc. And even though it is somewhat choreographed and the outcomes are predetermined, there has been some amazing moments and matches over the years. :yeah:

bluedogrulez
Member Avatar
Racing for Fulcon Capital
I used to watch when I was a kid. Bob Backlin (sp?) had just lost the belt (to the Iron Shiek maybe?). Anyway, the rise of Hulk Hogan was fun and there were some great characters back then (Andre the Giant, Paul Orsdorff, Macho Man and my fav, Sgt Slaughter). Learning that it was fake was like learning about Santa Claus. Though til this day, I have no idea how one fakes a pile-driver....
Switch Friend Code: SW-0786-9287-1202 (bluedogBDR)
MK8Deluxe Tourney: N64Forever.com 2332-7277-8283
Nintendo Network ID: BDR2010 / Twitter: @bluedogrulez
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

The Red Shadow
Member Avatar
The Seeker
bluedogrulez
Mar 24 2013, 07:09 PM
I used to watch when I was a kid. Bob Backlin (sp?) had just lost the belt (to the Iron Shiek maybe?). Anyway, the rise of Hulk Hogan was fun and there were some great characters back then (Andre the Giant, Paul Orsdorff, Macho Man and my fav, Sgt Slaughter). Learning that it was fake was like learning about Santa Claus. Though til this day, I have no idea how one fakes a pile-driver....
Those are some icons you listed there, and from a time when the characters weren't as cartoon-like and outlandish as they would get for quite awhile.

And the funny thing about the piledriver? It is an outlawed move nowadays as too many wrestlers were getting legitimately injured from it's use. Some of those moves are about as real as it gets.
Edited by The Red Shadow, Mar 24 2013, 07:32 PM.

The Red Shadow
Member Avatar
The Seeker
Just wanted to shoot out my opinion about WrestleMania 29 and the Raw the following night. I didn't get to see either, which is a bummer because I was going to try to watch WM live Sunday night via the website I use but I wanted to do it through my PS3 and it just didn't work out. So I just kept up on the event through Facebook and I think it was, overall, a pretty decent show. I'm really sad I didn't get to see the CM Punk vs. Undertaker match as I hear it was pretty amazing. But I wanted to see Punk win because I think we're at the end of Taker's career and I want him to "pass the torch" so to speak and he can do that by finally losing a match at WM and having someone end his streak. I'm a big Undertaker fan so don't get me wrong. I'm not hating on him for this accomplishment. Its just that in the business, when a guy gets older, it is somewhat customary to put over the younger guys and give them the rub. Taker's streak is just as impressive at 20-1 as it is at 21-0. And it gives someone else a feather in their cap to say they beat the Dead man at the biggest show of the year. And Taker himself has been quoted in years past as saying he'd gladly give up the streak to someone for that same purpose. He was willing to lose to Kurt Angle years ago but the powers that be said no. Since Punk is my current fave wrestler I really wanted him to be the guy, especially after losing the belt to a part time guy like the Rock after an impressive streak of his own. A streak that shouldn't have went to a guy who now gets to go back to film some more crappy movies.

Anyway, beyond that match there wasn't a lot of WM moments that really sounded great but I would have loved to see the show anyway. Cena is champ again, HHH and Lesnar kicked the crap out of each other, and Del Rio retained. I don't really care for Del Rio so I was pretty psyched when I heard Ziggler cashed in his MitB contract the next night at Raw to become new World Heavyweight Champion. I like Ziggler and hope he goes far in the business.

Speaking of the next night, I have been hearing that that particular Raw was off the charts, due mainly to the raucous Jersey crowd. I like hearing about that because that might be a nice fire lit under the WWE's arse to build on any momentum from that show. Not sure why Fandango and his music was so popular but whatever. It might be like Hornswoggle and the Boogeyman before him and kick start a new performer's rise to the top. And hopefully WWE capitalizes on it unlike the way they didn't with Zack Ryder.

EDIT: Kinda feel let down after getting to watch the full episode of Raw on YouTube earlier today. While it was a good show and the crowd was definitely into it, I don't think it was anywhere near as fun and raucous as some places led me to believe. Crowd reactions almost seemed random in nature, as if they were bored at times. Made me wonder why some of the fans bought tickets and showed up. Oh well, not a big deal I guess. WWE has to be happy that people were actually talking about the show.
Edited by The Red Shadow, Apr 10 2013, 10:30 PM.

Phantom
Member Avatar
Veteran
I have just started watching wrestling again and could somebody tell me whats happening with Rey Mysterio? is he coming back or what?

The Red Shadow
Member Avatar
The Seeker
I have heard so many conflicting reports on Rey that I don't know what to believe anymore. He's become so injury prone and, of course, he's aging, so its hard to say if he'll ever be back at 100%. But I've also read that he isn't on the greatest of terms with WWE but they don't want to let him get out on the market and end up on TNA television any time soon. Hard to say, bro. Rey sure was a blast to watch back in the day.

Phantom
Member Avatar
Veteran
I just saw last night that he is supposed to be coming back after Money in the bank and he has been advertised for the WWE Australian tour aswell, And yeah he used to be great to watch, i have all his DVD's which are still great to watch.
Edited by Phantom, May 5 2013, 10:28 PM.

The Red Shadow
Member Avatar
The Seeker
That's cool to hear. I hope he has at least one last decent run in the company. I have three Rey DVDs. I think I've only watched two of them all the way through, though. I love the stuff with CM Punk he was involved in, as well as the older days with Eddie Guerrero.

Phantom
Member Avatar
Veteran
Loved the match were he shaved Cm Punk :lol: :lol: :lol:

Id love to see him win the Championship at least once more.

Phantom
Member Avatar
Veteran
So i wanna talk about my feelings toward WWE now, I have been watching quite a bit lately and i am glad to see Kane starting to get back into his element of being the Evil guy its not really all there but hes starting to show signs of it again (Hope for the best) and the return of Undertaker is cool, also The Shield, Im really getting sick of these guys they come to the ring when one person is there but as soon as more wrestlers come down to help they leave, also in their tag matches they usually end up cheating because they know they are gonna lose, then they talk about Justice (whats the justice of a 3 on 1 assault? man they (Insert bad word here) me off. i am interested in the John Cena/Ryback rivalry starting to happen (could be interesting) Also the new superstar 'Fandango' what a freak dancing all over the place :nope: and shame on WWE for holding dance contests the great Khali should be Wrestling not dancing same for Y2J. Im starting to lose interest in it with all the rubbish they are doing, Bring back full on extreme rules matches, Hell in a Cell, Parking lot brawls, and all the Good old stuff. The only wrestlers im interested in seeing now are down to a select few and im hoping for a Rey Mysterio return but if he ends up getting fired im pretty sure i will just cut my loses and stop watching it for good.

Boy i really needed to get all that out of my system.
Edited by Phantom, May 18 2013, 03:12 PM.

The Red Shadow
Member Avatar
The Seeker
Its all good, man. I know that feeling. That's why I'm perfectly happy picking up all the great DVD/blu-ray releases that have been coming out. I need to get the new Mankind one, for sure. I'll sit down later tonight and list out all of the wrestling home video releases I've picked up over the years. That is where all the good stuff is these days. :yeah:

The Red Shadow
Member Avatar
The Seeker
Here is my wrestling video collection:

DVDs
ECW One Night Stand 2005
ECW One Night Stand 2006
No Way Out 2007
Survivor Series 2009
Survivor Series 2010
Money In The Bank 2010
Money In The Bank 2011
The Best of Raw - 15th Anniversary 1993-2008
The Best of SmackDown - 10th Anniversary 1999-2009
The Big Show - A Giant's World
Blood Sport: ECW - The Most Violent Matches
Born to Controversy - The Roddy Piper Story
Breaking the Code: Behind The Walls of Chris Jericho
Bret "Hitman" Hart - The Best There Is, The Best There Was and The Best There Ever Will Be
Cheating Death, Stealing Life - The Eddie Guerrero Story
Edge - A Decade of Decadence
Extreme Rules - ECW
From The Vault - Shawn Michaels
The Greatest Cage Matches of All Time
Greatest Rivalries - Shawn Michaels vs. Bret Hart
Greatest Stars of the 90s
Greatest Superstars of the 21st Century
Hard Knocks - The Chris Benoit Story
Hell In A Cell - The Greatest Hell in a Cell Matches of All Time
The History of the WWE Championship
Hulk Hogan - The Ultimate Anthology
Jake "The Snake" Roberts - Pick Your Poison
Jeff Hardy - My Life, My Rules
John Cena - My Life
John Cena - Word Life
The Ladder Match
The Ladder Match 2 - Crash and Burn
The Life and Times of Mr. Perfect
Macho Madness - The Randy Savage Ultimate Collection
McMahon
Mick Foley's Greatest Hits and Misses
The Monday Night War
OMG! - The Top 50 Incidents in WWE History
Rey Mysterio - 619
Rey Mysterio - The Biggest Little Man
Rey Mysterio - The Life of a Masked Man
The Rise and Fall of ECW
The Rise and Fall of WCW
Rob Van Dam - One of a Kind
The Rock - The Most Electrifying Man in Sports Entertainment
Satan's Prison - The Anthology of the Elmination Chamber
The Self-Destruction of the Ultimate Warrior
Shawn Michaels - My Journey
The Shawn Michaels Story - Heartbreak & Triumph
Stone Cold Steve Austin - What?
The Stone Cold Truth
Tombstone - The History of the Undertaker
Top 50 Superstars of All Time
Triple H - The King of Kings
The Triumph and Tragedy of World Class Championship Wrestling
Twist of Fate - The Matt & Jeff Hardy Story
The Twisted, Disturbed Life of Kane
The Ultimate Ric Flair Collection
Undertaker 15-0
The Undertaker's Deadliest Matches
The Very Best of WCW Nitro
Viva La Raza - The Legacy of Eddie Guerrero
Wrestling's Highest Flyers
WWE Raw - 10th Anniversary

Blu-rays
The Attitude Era
The Best of King of the Ring
The Best of WWE In Your House - Pay-Per-View Classics 1995-1999
Bret "Hitman" Hart - The Dungeon Collection
Brock Lesnar - Here Comes The Pain Collector's Edition
CM Punk - Best in the World
ECW Unreleased Vol. 1
nWo - The Revolution
Raw 100 - The Top 100 Moments in Raw History
Rock - The Epic Journey of Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson
Stone Cold Steve Austin - The Bottom Line on the Most Popular Superstar of All Time
The Top 25 Rivalries in Wrestling History
Undertaker 20-0: The Streak
WCW - The Best of Monday Nitro Vol. 2
WrestleMania 25th Anniversary
WrestleMania XXVI
WrestleMania XXVII

Non-WWE DVDs
The Best of Backyard Wrestling - More Hardcore Than Ever Before!
The Best of Backyard Wrestling - Future Kings of the Ring!
Beyond the Mat - Ringside Special Edition
Forever Hardcore - The Documentary
Edited by The Red Shadow, Jun 1 2013, 09:09 PM.

Phantom
Member Avatar
Veteran
Very impressive collection there Red :yeah:

Do you have a favourite DVD, Wrestler or Main Event?
Edited by Phantom, May 19 2013, 05:08 AM.

The Red Shadow
Member Avatar
The Seeker
My favorite DVDs are definitely the ones that tell a story about a wrestler, company or event. The match collections are nice but I love to learn about the business and it's history. The favorites from my collection would probably end up being CM Punk, Chris Jericho and RVD. I wish Kurt Angle had gotten the WWE home video treatment. He is still my favorite all time wrestler but CM Punk is my current one. I also really love the ECW collections and I wish I had paid that company more attention when they were one of the big three. As for a main event I think I'll always come back to the Mankind/Undertaker Hell in the Cell from the King of the Ring '99. I saw it live on PPV and still have it recorded on VHS. The match is included on several of the DVDs/blu-rays listed above. I could probably list off several more if I had the chance to get a brain refresher.

What about you, Bane? Any matches or wrestlers that stand out to you?

Phantom
Member Avatar
Veteran
Same for me with the DVD's they need a good story and give you something new instead of just showing matches over and over again (which i still enjoy)
I remember seeing a match with Rey Mysterio V Super Calo which i loved and has probably the best Frankensteiner ever!!

Another match i enjoyed was a match with John Cena v RVD were they were at the ECW arena and the crowd was so hostel towards John Cena, the crowd gave the match a great atmosphere.

My Favourite tho would be a tie between the 2006 Royal Rumble and the and the 2006 Wrestlemania 22 triple threat for the World Heavyweight championship.

From what ive wrote i think its safe to say Rey Mysterio is my Favourite wrestler of all time :D Tho i am a huge fan of Steve Austin and Eddie Guerrero .

Heres a pic of your favourite and my favouite :lol:

The Red Shadow
Member Avatar
The Seeker
I'm sad I missed out on so much of CM Punk's best programs and rivalries over the last few years. And I seem to think I've seen that match against Super Calo. Perhaps it is on one of Rey's DVDs?

Phantom
Member Avatar
Veteran
Yeah its on "The Biggest Little man" that picture of Rey Mysterio and CM Punk the match is on "The Life of a Masked Man" DVD have you seen that match?

The Red Shadow
Member Avatar
The Seeker
Yeah, that match is on CM Punk's blu-ray. He was rocking that Charles Manson look pretty well but it was fun to watch Rey shave his head. :lol:

Phantom
Member Avatar
Veteran
The mask he started wearing afterwards was pretty cool (not as cool as Rey's tho)

I haven't seen CM Punk since Wrestlemania, Did he get injured or something?

The Red Shadow
Member Avatar
The Seeker
That was the immediate word going around, that he'd hurt his leg with a move he did on the Undertaker outside of the ring. But there had also been talk swirling backstage that Punk was unhappy with things (again) and wanted/demanded some time off. He might be back in the next few weeks or as far out as Summerslam.

Phantom
Member Avatar
Veteran
So who saw Extreme Rules? Quite disappointed with a few of the results but what can ya do.

The Red Shadow
Member Avatar
The Seeker
I read results. The only thing I remember is The Shield winning a few belts and a cop out ending to the Ryback/Cena match.

Phantom
Member Avatar
Veteran
Yeah the Sheild results were the ones i was disappointed with :lol: cant stand those guys.
Im glad John Cena is still Champion.

The Red Shadow
Member Avatar
The Seeker
I can't speak on how The Shield are as individual personalities but I like the fact that they are causing buzz and getting people to talk about them. I like good heels and heel groups because without them you can't have good face characters. Most of my favorite guys in the business (CM Punk, Kurt Angle, Edge, Kane) were great heels AND faces. That is why I still think the best thing to happen to John Cena right now would be a massive heel turn, but WWE will probably never let that happen as long as he's the face of the company selling merch like crazy and granting sick kid's wishes. He's a good guy but the natural evolution of every wrestling character is to know when to turn bad and turn back again when the time is right.

Phantom
Member Avatar
Veteran
I wouldn't mind The Shield if they did something different, But its to much of the same thing each week and its starting to get old.

The Red Shadow
Member Avatar
The Seeker
Hopefully they'll start to evolve and change things up now that they have belts to defend.

Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · TV, Movies, Music & Other Entertainment · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: