Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
People coming here just to sell stuff.....
Topic Started: Apr 5 2013, 06:08 PM (1,573 Views)
justinwebb
Member Avatar
Anyone else besides me tired of people just coming here to sell stuff. With the limit of 10 posts needed before selling something everybody just spam posts on any topic they can quickly find to get to to 10. Seems like a waste and is quite annoying to go past a BS post then see that they just want to sell things. Some of you may know I work in a fraud department for the biggest bank in the US, I would never trust anyone who just came on here with the minimum posts to sell so why not raise the limit of posts to something that will build rapport and have them actually need to contribute to the forum rather than spamming to sell their junk. It just opens the door for fraud to take place and is annoying to read.

My collection and wanted list!
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

bluedogrulez
Member Avatar
Racing for Fulcon Capital
I'm going to raise it with the staff. I was thinking the same thing about a new member's posts, two of which complained about why he could post in buy/sell/trade....
Switch Friend Code: SW-0786-9287-1202 (bluedogBDR)
MK8Deluxe Tourney: N64Forever.com 2332-7277-8283
Nintendo Network ID: BDR2010 / Twitter: @bluedogrulez
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

justinwebb
Member Avatar
bluedogrulez
Apr 5 2013, 06:13 PM
I'm going to raise it with the staff. I was thinking the same thing about a new member's posts, two of which complained about why he could post in buy/sell/trade....
I know I havent been here long just with my background and everyone here seem to be some of the nicest on any forum i have been on, I would just hate to see people get screwed over by people just trying to sell stuff. I just didnt want to overstep my bounds but as of late it just seems like I see more and more potential for fraudulent transactions. I'm not saying anyone who recently joined is but seeing the millions of dollars a day that I do it makes you think.

YogurtStorm
Member Avatar
Your mom is a nice lady
I think instead of having a post limit there should be a "Seller turnaround time" where, I dunno, a member can only sell something after having been registered for 30 days ( with maybe an extra precaution like some type of proof of activity ).

I too don't like these people who think a community-driven forum is a classifieds
My Youtube Channel: All game. No bla-bla. PS4 ShareFactory gameplay
Posted Image Home of Conker's Corner

justinwebb
Member Avatar
Time and posts work well in other forums, I just hate to see the forum which the mods work so hard at keeping on the up and up be messed up by "traveling salespeople" Just trying to give some ideas to what seems to be a rising issue.

YogurtStorm
Member Avatar
Your mom is a nice lady
Totally right Justin.

That's why (IMHO) i think a 30-day turnaround time or somethin would be great. If said person really wants to sell his N64 stuff ASAP, will he really want to wait 30 long says just to post?

Probably not :-)
My Youtube Channel: All game. No bla-bla. PS4 ShareFactory gameplay
Posted Image Home of Conker's Corner

floorcat
Member Avatar
Nintendo sixty-floorcat :P
Yes, yes... this is definitely a problem, and all this input is greatly appreciated!! (Keep the ideas coming!) We've already begun discussing possibilities on how to improve things for the better.
Now Playing: Clash Royale (mobile), Rayman Legends, Fat Princess Adventures, Project CARS, Uncharted 4 Survival Mode ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ

Xephyrian
Member Avatar
Master Chief of the Universe
I agree, I also like the 30 day idea. Maybe just implement that over the 10 post limit (or even bump it to like 30 or something), I think that would keep most of 'em out. :yeah:
Posted Image

Spidercolt
Member Avatar
Mario Maniac
30 day idea would work because, one people would forget about it and they wouldn't stay that long lol.
Get :n64: Or Get Out!

NTSC Collection: 81 Games
61 Cart Only
20 Complete In Box

GameCube: 78 Games Complete

My Collection

Nintendo Network ID: Spidercolt.

The Red Shadow
Member Avatar
The Seeker
Problem I see, and I'm already seeing it happen, is that they'd just post elsewhere on the forum trying to sell their goods. I'm not really sure what the right way to go about this is.

stinger9142
Member Avatar
Endure and survive...
We are developing a plan as we speak. Thank you all for weight in.

This truly belongs in the suggestion section, so I will "migrate" it over that direction.

PS, the survey would be a great way to voice your opinions about this well. :)

justinwebb
Member Avatar
The Red Shadow
Apr 5 2013, 08:50 PM
Problem I see, and I'm already seeing it happen, is that they'd just post elsewhere on the forum trying to sell their goods. I'm not really sure what the right way to go about this is.
They could post elsewhere but with the time limit in effect as well such as 30 days or longer it wouldn't matter how many posts. Most looking to make a quick buck wouldn't wait around for 30 days. Now granted that means someone can create a user id and sit and wait then try but who will trust someone with almost no active posts other than a few remarks here and there. Just trying to save someone from getting ripped off as I see it all too often.

Sorry for posting in the wrong section I wasnt sure if it was going to be more off topic discussion or actual advice but I see we all have the same mindset.

stinger9142
Member Avatar
Endure and survive...
justinwebb
Apr 5 2013, 09:42 PM
Sorry for posting in the wrong section I wasnt sure if it was going to be more off topic discussion or actual advice but I see we all have the same mindset.
No problem, It probably got some more attention where it was ;)

As you all can imagine, it doesn't leave a very good impression on the staff when a new member chooses NOT to read the rules (or ignores them) and posts an item for sale in the collecting section :lol:

The Red Shadow
Member Avatar
The Seeker
That's the point I was making. Whether you have a 10 post limit or a 30 day waiting period to post in the Want to Sell area of the forum, there is nothing to stop a newer member from posting elsewhere on the forum trying to sell their wares, either out of ignorance of the rules or as a crafty means of getting around them.

justinwebb
Member Avatar
Delete the post and ban them and associated IP's?

bluedogrulez
Member Avatar
Racing for Fulcon Capital
We very often do delete such posts, report internally, send a polite but stern PM, then report back on response if any. Like Stinger said, we're discussing augmenting the present controls.
Switch Friend Code: SW-0786-9287-1202 (bluedogBDR)
MK8Deluxe Tourney: N64Forever.com 2332-7277-8283
Nintendo Network ID: BDR2010 / Twitter: @bluedogrulez
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

K3VBOT
Member Avatar
Established Member
Not gonna lie. I spammed, well not sure if spammed is the right word, but posted random stuff in a couple posts just for the ability to post in someone elses' FS thread.

As a new member, I understand why there is the 10 post restriction, and a 30 day restriction would be beneficial in a sense as well. But, I think that limitation should be based on the creating a new topic in the FS thread, and not restricting a new user from replying to a topic. If that makes any sense.

If you could look at when my first 11 posts were made, you'd be able to tell about 5-6 were soon after I joined, and another 5 were in a 5 minute period so I could respond to that CIB Daiei Hawks post the other day

stinger9142
Member Avatar
Endure and survive...
At least you are honest about it, k3vbot :lol: I know a lot of people do that. Not everybody who comes here just to buy sell something turns out bad. I would like to think that our forum wins a few of them over and they instead become true contributors.

Ending world hunger would be nice as well... it is wishful thinking to some degree I suppose. ;)

jmacbear25
Member Avatar
So are we trying to only stop immediate sellers or both buyers and sellers?
N64 has the best platforms

I want me some standees! Sunshine and mario 64, and BK series standees as well with zelda 64 :)

stinger9142
Member Avatar
Endure and survive...
Both truly. More risk goes with the "fly by" sellers though.

K3VBOT
Member Avatar
Established Member
Don't want to scare away new, potentially good, members though. No offense, but if I had to wait a month before I could even post in the FS thread, I probably wouldn't be here. Seems a bit uninviting IMO. Yeah, you get the occasional scum, but could also get a pretty great guy or gal. Unless you are trying to limit the number of people who are actively on the site.

I hate to compare to NA, but I pop new members cherries on there all the time with their first transactions. Everyone has got to start somewhere.

Phantom
Member Avatar
Veteran
Im sure the staff will find a solution for the problem, i think its great the members care so much about the forum to want to protect other members from people trying to make a quick buck, It really annoys me that people think they can just sell stuff here then leave especially with all the time staff and members but in to making it the best it can be.

Boomdiers
Member Avatar
The Bombinator!
Maybe for new users we could add a timer when you allow to post on certain things.
Nintendo Network ID: Boomdiers
Switch ID: SW-4856-0523-8306

My Nintendo 64 collection most of them are PAL and some NTSC
Posted Image

clarky_n64
Member Avatar
Modding Monster
This is something I also think is an issue but we are addressing it so keep the input coming :)
Clarky & Smithy Creations YouTube Channel

justinwebb
Member Avatar
K3VBOT
Apr 5 2013, 11:34 PM
Don't want to scare away new, potentially good, members though. No offense, but if I had to wait a month before I could even post in the FS thread, I probably wouldn't be here. Seems a bit uninviting IMO. Yeah, you get the occasional scum, but could also get a pretty great guy or gal. Unless you are trying to limit the number of people who are actively on the site.

I hate to compare to NA, but I pop new members cherries on there all the time with their first transactions. Everyone has got to start somewhere.
This isn't eBay why would someone just come here go sell stuff? I could see perhaps posting in someone else's for sale thread stating they are interested but if you are new and want to just sell stuff and be of no general use to the community it seems like a waste. There are 3 people now who I have seen just come in, make worthless posts and sell junk. Sure there might be some good people but those who are actually interested in retro game collecting or what not will stay and not just try to sell crap.

Whenever I buy stuff from someone I use my skill to my advantage, I already know everything about you and I mean everything lol and some of these people I have dug up shady stuff. Just trying to get the ball rolling on a way to make this a site where there is less used car salesman and more of a discussion based forum.

K3VBOT
Member Avatar
Established Member
I see what you're saying.

Your second sentence is what I'm getting at. It's hard to just weed out those people who just join a forum to sell, but If you just put a major limitation up to stop that, you would also be putting a major limitation up limiting new members who actually want to be a part of the community. I think being able to buy/sell/trade with the community is the best way to become a part of it. I learn so much about people and get to know them better while we are trying to work out a deal on something.

If a 30 day restriction is placed on new members, I feel they are less likely to actually stay and become a part of the forum. Yes that would scare away impatient resellers, but I think it would also scare away "good" new members.

Also a thought. One of the major issues mentioned in this thread is the fact that people who just want to sell spam other posts in order to get their 10 restricting posts out of the way.
If there weren't 10 restricting posts, there would be a lot less spam. Sure they would just jump right to the FS thread and make a listing, but if you are uncomfortable making a deal with them, then don't. Wait for someone else to have a transaction with them and see how it goes. Don't buy high value items until they build a good reputation. Not sure how anyone is supposed to build a reputation if they aren't allowed to make deals. Some people, not all, are uncomfortable or don't find enjoyment in commenting on forums. If they are new to the online community aspect of a forum, it can be kind of intimidating.
What you guys are asking new members to do is participate in discussion, so you can get a feel for them, so you can decide weather or not you can trust them when it comes to making a deal. I think the best way to determine if you can trust making a deal with someone, is by actually making a deal with them. Talking with them in actual discussion helps bring out their character and knowledge, but doesn't necessarily mean they will be a good person to have a transaction with..

Maybe I am out of line here. And if I am, someone please tell me, and I'll shut my mouth

CoachLuke22
Member Avatar
I agree with K3VBOT. I still like the 10 minimum post rule but 30 days minimum would make me not want to stick around. There are some people that arent interested in collecting at all and just want to sell something to people who will appreciate it(us)

Of course the argument can be made that if they arent willing to stick around for 30 days then we dont want them to be a member of the forums anyway.

Who knows... I trust the admins will figure this out for us.
N.A. Consoles - 7/9
N.A. Controllers CIB - 8/8
N.A. Carts - 76/296

Nintendo Power Controllers - Nintendo Power 100, DK64, Millennium 2000

Brandicus
Member Avatar
Established Member
I know im new here but Id be in support of this rule. I plan on sticking around longer than a month anyway :wub:
GET :n64: OR GET OUT

stinger9142
Member Avatar
Endure and survive...
All of you make valid points.

That big of a hurdle could discourage some would be potentially good members from joining. It would perhaps slow our growth numbers wise as well.

That being said, this forum was created to be a place to discuss the N64 first and foremost. That is why we feel that the buy/sale/trade section is a privilege members should have to earn. No, trust cannot truly be made without someone testing the waters. And the 10 posts limit may sometimes create empty posts, but the idea was to ensure they were making quality replies. I know that doesn't always happen though. I think we have something promising in the works.

The Red Shadow
Member Avatar
The Seeker
I don't think there is a big issue around the forum with people coming in and selling something legitimate and then disappearing without a trace. I have a problem with it personally, but as long as someone here is reaping the benefits of a true sale with a new member then I don't think the forum is being harmed at all. I just hate seeing people come and go with hollow posts that allow them into the WTS area and then they fly away. The biggest issue is anyone who tries to scam and rip off any of our other members with illegitimate sales. One rotten apple can spoil the whole bunch. I await seeing what the staff implements to help keep our forum safe from scammers without putting off new members who could become the next great asset to our wonderful forum.
Edited by The Red Shadow, Apr 6 2013, 07:23 PM.

Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Help and Suggestions · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: