Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
People coming here just to sell stuff.....
Topic Started: Apr 5 2013, 06:08 PM (1,562 Views)
justinwebb
Member Avatar
Anyone else besides me tired of people just coming here to sell stuff. With the limit of 10 posts needed before selling something everybody just spam posts on any topic they can quickly find to get to to 10. Seems like a waste and is quite annoying to go past a BS post then see that they just want to sell things. Some of you may know I work in a fraud department for the biggest bank in the US, I would never trust anyone who just came on here with the minimum posts to sell so why not raise the limit of posts to something that will build rapport and have them actually need to contribute to the forum rather than spamming to sell their junk. It just opens the door for fraud to take place and is annoying to read.

My collection and wanted list!
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Replies:
Highlander
Member Avatar
Scottish Member
Yeah thats true but whilst we need to be wary of people coming in and trying to scam us, we also have to respect the people who are joining with good intention, purely to offer items they no longer wish to own or have no interest in, to Nintendo collectors.

I've actually done similar on other forums, items have come into my possession (mainly cars/car parts/motor bikes etc) and I have then joined the relevant forum and offered them to the members rather than just stick them on eBay to make the most cash from them.

I join to sell the items on, once thats done I rarely if ever go back, is it so wrong?

After all, I'm quite sure eBay or the like are the best places to sell such things if you are purely out to make as much money as possible from them.

As much as the forum is very active, I'm quite sure we don't have all the major N64 collectors here, so many more potential bidders would be found via an eBay listing.

I see many things sold or traded within the forum for less (sometimes a lot less) than they would make if sold on the open market.

So yes, If someone joins up selling mint Daiei Hawks systems, Conkers BFD/Shadowgate/SBK2 CIB and a box of signed Millenium controllers and "mistakenly" sends you a Bank of Nigeria cheque for $10,000 asking you to wire transfer them the difference then be wary :D

But lets give the genuine guys a chance too :D
Posted ImagePAL Collection No.2 148/243Posted Image

PM me to get added to the N64 Forever Members Map

DeeMoney
Member Avatar
Outback Adventurer
I agree highlander, and in all honesty, I really haven't noticed people spamming to 10 posts to sell some stuff.

I reckon it's great,,if they havebsomethingnto sell there coming here first. And if your careful,like you would be with eBay, your mostly protected by PayPal anyway. So I reckon overall it's pretty safe.

I think,people can become quite paranoid easily because of potential scammers that may visit here. Can't say I've noticed too many hanging around these parts. :lol:
Nintendo Network ID - DeeMoney19
PSN Network ID - hallxx81xx
Xbox Live Gamertag - DeeMoney 2K19

Posted Image

bluedogrulez
Member Avatar
Racing for Fulcon Capital
I believe prior to Highlander joining, we had an Aussie join to sell some VERY expensive stuff. While the seller ultimately was legit, he seemed to be inexperienced and a few interested members in buying his wares felt jerked around. The staff was also on edge bc we did not know if this new member would make good on the sales. And that is why the staff created the initial barrier to Buy/Sell/Trade.

I do agree with Highlander that people selling should be an enhancement to our community, but recognize bad deals can harm it (and we've seen that too). So the goal is setting reasonable barriers to protect and enhance the forum experience.

Switch Friend Code: SW-0786-9287-1202 (bluedogBDR)
MK8Deluxe Tourney: N64Forever.com 2332-7277-8283
Nintendo Network ID: BDR2010 / Twitter: @bluedogrulez
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Highlander
Member Avatar
Scottish Member
Yep, its a good idea, maybe a limit to the number of sales a new member could make within a certain timeframe or until a sale has been completed would be an idea, rather than just giving them free reign after 10 posts?

I once saw a scammer arrive on a car forum where I am a moderator.

He arrived out of the blue selling almost every rare and expensive part available for that particular car, he reckoned he had multiples of each item to sell, which in itself caused us concern, these were parts few people had ever seen never mind owned....

Anyway, despite the warnings, the chance of a good bargain was too much to resist by many members and in no time at all he had received multiple large payments via cheque, bank transfer, paypal etc

Of course after a week or so none of these items turned up!

Luckily, the guy was a rubbish scammer and someone tracked him down and got his name, address, phone number the lot!!

So most of the people got their money back (I know at least two members "visited" him at home) so our members were lucky.

But as this is a worldwide forum that option won't be available and any scammer worth his salt will be untraceable anyway.

As the old saying goes.... if its too good to be true.... it probably is ;)

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
Sometimes I'm a little hesitant to gush passionately about N64 games because I feel like I'm just working to line the pockets of those who have no sincere interest in the console and its software.

On another forum I visit the moderators review all your post before you're granted certain privileges. Maybe something like that can be instituted here?
"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." - Arthur Schopenhauer

Posted Image

bluedogrulez
Member Avatar
Racing for Fulcon Capital
Grizzmeister
Apr 11 2013, 11:54 AM
On another forum I visit the moderators review all your post before you're granted certain privileges. Maybe something like that can be instituted here?
Sorry, but they'd have to increase our pay grade, lol!
Switch Friend Code: SW-0786-9287-1202 (bluedogBDR)
MK8Deluxe Tourney: N64Forever.com 2332-7277-8283
Nintendo Network ID: BDR2010 / Twitter: @bluedogrulez
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Highlander
Member Avatar
Scottish Member
I vote to treble the admin's wages! ;)

DeeMoney
Member Avatar
Outback Adventurer
Highlander
Apr 11 2013, 01:26 PM
I vote to treble the admin's wages! ;)
Yeah that's fine. Nothing x3 is still nothing. :w00t:

Posted Image

Cabanon
Elite
is it wrong im against any kind of limitation for any section ? I just hate it. I wanted to sell a NFR cartridge 3 years ago on assemblergames and I couldnt because I didnt have 50 or so posts. you cant spam so just said :cussfit: it. a good community passed out on a nice NFR because of that. who's at loss ? the guy or the community ? it pissed me off so much that I just never got back there. that's just silly. on NintendoAge, I signed up, made a thread right away and sold the cart within a week. no questions asked and everyone was very helpfull and very kind and pointed out who might be interested and wished me good luck on the sale. Of course it could have been fake, but that wasnt the case.

tl;dr, when you're a good person, this kind of :pottymouth: is really pissing you off, but when you're a scammer, not a single rule will stop you to try to scam a new person on a forum. there will be dissuasive rules to avoid you to do so, but you'll always overpass them to achieve what you want to do.

I have a simple moto: if you're not 100% sure the guy at the other end is legit, then dont buy/sell from/to him/her.

stinger9142
Member Avatar
Endure and survive...
Cabanon
Apr 11 2013, 08:18 PM
I have a simple moto: if you're not 100% sure the guy at the other end is legit, then dont buy/sell from/to him/her.
you hit the nail on the head there 8)

Nagato
Member Avatar
I reckon most of the ideas in theory sound great, but won't actually do much.

You need to do it someway where the buy/sell/trade area has to be earned as it shouldn't be the main part about this forum.

Ie, you need to meet this criteria first, then 5 senior members have to give you the okay to use the buy/sell/trade section of this forum.

Criteria can be the same as most of you suggested previous.

Ie 60+ day old account
100+ posts and/or 1+ posts per day

Just my 2 cents. Please don't flame me. :3

DeeMoney
Member Avatar
Outback Adventurer
All very good ideas Nagato. Don't worry mate you won't get flamed for putting ideas across. Just the opposite in fact, I'm sure the staff are more than happy for member's to bring ideas to the table. :yeah:

Posted Image

Nagato
Member Avatar
heheh thanks.

You can sorta expand on my ideas like instead of 5 staff members, it could be 10 staff members and 1 admin? And/or if there is more than 1 admin voting for you, they count as a staff member vote?

Like a private part of the forum dedicated to actual "senior" members who have stuck with this forum day in day out from the start. I know another forum I use has something similar to this, and that part of the forum is only for posting votes to see if other members are ideal candidates to use the extra benefits and features of the community. This section could also be used for posting about an account on the forum that may be suspicious.

Xephyrian
Member Avatar
Master Chief of the Universe
Nagato
Apr 11 2013, 10:58 PM
heheh thanks.

You can sorta expand on my ideas like instead of 5 staff members, it could be 10 staff members and 1 admin? And/or if there is more than 1 admin voting for you, they count as a staff member vote?

Like a private part of the forum dedicated to actual "senior" members who have stuck with this forum day in day out from the start. I know another forum I use has something similar to this, and that part of the forum is only for posting votes to see if other members are ideal candidates to use the extra benefits and features of the community. This section could also be used for posting about an account on the forum that may be suspicious.
That's actually a good idea to have a section for like veteran members to have direct input on the site. Obviously we can PM the admins and they're very responsive but sometimes it's fun to brainstorm together. Awesome ideas Nagato :yeah:
Posted Image

cyan_phoenix
I'm in favour of some limitations regarding when a new member can sell, however we could also have a rule where the 10 post rule (or whatever it is) is waived if they have a well-respected account elsewhere (i.e. other collector sites) or has a referee from a respected member (either here or elsewhere). This would be a good idea, because very few of us spring out from nowhere and would be able to get a kind of recommendation elsewhere- I was (and still am) a member of NA for quite a while before coming here. If this truly was the first collector forum you have ever visited, then it doesn't hurt to get a feel of an environment before you can sell anyway, so a minimum post (or duration of membership ) before you can sell is not harsh at all.
Australia

N64 CIB Collection (EUR/USA/JPN): Complete!

« Previous Topic · Help and Suggestions · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: