Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Post When You Buy or Sell Any Game; And post PICS of what you buy :D
Topic Started: Jul 4 2006, 04:30 PM (135,558 Views)
Deleted User
Deleted User

Post whenever you buy or sell a game for any system, and tell us what you think of it, why you sold it, etc...

Today I bought Baten Kaitos for Gamecube. I dunno what it's like cos I've not played it yet. I'll post again once I've tried it out.
Quote Post Goto Top

Deleted User
Deleted User

Well, had a quick go now and first impressions are favorable. The card battle system is still kinda confusing, but I'm sure it'll all start making sense soon. The game has prerendered backgrounds and looks very nice. I prefer 'real' 3D, but there's no doubt that the game looks pretty amazing, and is no doubt huge in scope. It's a double disc game as well, so there should be plenty to do. I'm looking forward to playing again, and that's something that I've not felt with the other big RPG on Gamecube; Tales of Symphonia. Yeah, I think i'm gonna enjoy this one. :)
Quote Post Goto Top

dataDyne
Forum Dinosaur!
Just bought Fantastic Dizzy for my Sega MegaDrive.

Go the old school ^_^
Give this man a fish, and he can throw it up eleven times
-alxbly
PSN: LifeIsPreachy
Mario Kart Wii: 0088 - 2869 - 9843
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

floorcat
Member Avatar
Nintendo sixty-floorcat :P
alxbly
Jul 4 2006, 05:52 PM
Yeah, I think i'm gonna enjoy this one.  :)

Cool!! Let us know how it ends up!

I bought Ocarina of Time + Master Quest for the Gamecube pretty recently... even though I don't even own a Gamecube :blink: ! I'm starting to look into GC games these days for some reason... I guess I'm thinking about if/when I ever eventually breakdown and buy a Wii when it comes out!

... I've always been curious about the Master Quest... anyone have any input?
Now Playing: Clash Royale (mobile), Rayman Legends, Fat Princess Adventures, Project CARS, Uncharted 4 Survival Mode ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ

Deleted User
Deleted User

Quote:

I've always been curious about the Master Quest... anyone have any input?

Master Quest gave Gamecube owners a reason to play OoT again. New puzzles, different item locations, more of the harder enemies and more polished graphics. Don't expect new enemies, characters, items, storylines, etc; they're not there. But it does make another playthrough of OoT worthwhile, just to see how the "remixed" version works. It'll make you think in the same way you had to the first time you played OoT.

Graphics aren't hugely different from N64 OoT, just a bit sharper and with better color seperation. You can get something of an idea of the graphical difference here:

http://s3.photobucket.com/albums/y70/alxbly/Screens/

Scroll to the bottom of the page and compare the screenshots. It's a lot more visible with the naked eye (afraid my poxy camera can quite capture it). Gamecube Zelda is the screens with lots of hearts.

One last thing you guys may or may not know. In Europe OoT/Master Quest was never released as a seperate disc. Instead it was packaged with a limited edition of Wind Waker in a gold 2-disc case. You can check it out here:

http://s3.photobucket.com/albums/y70/alxbly/Gamecube%20games/
Quote Post Goto Top

Rapueda (retired)
Member Avatar
Gemini Squadron
I just bought Doom 64 and South Park 64 off of eBay. They haven't arrived yet, but I used to own both of 'em and liked them.
Posted Image

dataDyne
Forum Dinosaur!
My copy of Star Wars Episode One Racer (for some unknown reason) went to cartridge heaven earlier this week, so I just bought another copy.
-alxbly

Ragedy
Veteran
Eternal Darkness Sanitys Reqium (GC) Ghost Recon 2 (Xbox)

Deleted User
Deleted User

Eternal Darkness is excellent. I've never played another game that has such a dark atmosphere. The sanity effects are mostly excellent (although some are a bit cheap), and the sound effects are just... nasty.
Quote Post Goto Top

floorcat
Member Avatar
Hey alxbly, thanks for all the great insight/info/screens on the GameCube OoT!! I really appreciate it. ^_^ I have a feeling I'll really enjoy it once/if I ever get to play it. For some reason, I thought the Master Quest was like an add-on adventure to Ocarina with new locations & storylines etc., but it sounds like it's almost the same kind of "sequel" as The Lost Levels (the original SMB2) is to Super Mario Bros. This should definitely not prove to be a problem though, since it's been such a long time since the last (and first!) time I had played through Oot (a fact about which some people here have posted in disbelief/disgust!) ;) One last thing though... I remember some people complaining about having problems using the GC controller to play Ocarina... like the controller setup didn't translate well or something. Was there any real justification for this?

... and that limited edition gold case of WW with MQ looks pretty sweet... I kinda wish the US saw the same kind of release! (BTW, you've got a pretty impressive GC collection!!)
Now Playing: Clash Royale (mobile), Rayman Legends, Fat Princess Adventures, Project CARS, Uncharted 4 Survival Mode ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ

Deleted User
Deleted User

Quote:

BTW, you've got a pretty impressive GC collection!!

Thanks Floorcat.

In gamecube OoT Nintendo tried to mirror the set up which had been used on the N64 controller. This works fine with one exception; the c-stick was used for item selection. This feels a bit weird because most modern third person perspective games use the right stick for camera control (Wind Waker included). I've found myself playing the ocarina quite a few times when all I want to do is adjust the camera. Nintendo also mapped the item selections to the X, Y and Z buttons so there was no real need for them to be on the c-stick. I think they just didn't want to have to do too much work in changing the icons on screen, which still display as C-left, C-down and C-right.

Apart from that the controls are just as good as they were on the N64.

Quote Post Goto Top

floorcat
Member Avatar
alxbly
Jul 8 2006, 08:32 AM
Apart from that the controls are just as good as they were on the N64.

Cooool... B)

*heaves a sigh of relief*

dataDyne
Forum Dinosaur!
I didn't really enjoy playing Ocarina of Time with the Gamecube controller. I didn't have a problem with using the C-Stick for item use but Z-Targeting is a real problem. Nintendo mapped the Z-Target function to the Gamecube's Z-button, one of the most annoying and poorly positioned buttons on the whole controller. After being used to tapping the trigger on the N64 controller to target enemies I found it very hard to become used to using a shoulder button instead.
-alxbly

Ragedy
Veteran
And for some reason there is no sun glare. :angry:

I pre-ordered Twilight Princess on GC, if it comes out within a month of the Wii release I'll cancel, but the GC took 6 months to get here after the US release, and the NZ distributer of Nintendo products in NZ just ended their deal, which could mean a few things either Nintendo support is completely cut off <_< , Nintendo of New Zealand is set up (Gosh I hope so), Nintendo sign a deal with another distributer or Nintendo of Australia distribute here.

Monaco corp were doing a horrible job anyway.

Ok I don't know why I started talking about that but whatever.

Deleted User
Deleted User

Quote:

Nintendo mapped the Z-Target function to the Gamecube's Z-button, one of the most annoying and poorly positioned buttons on the whole controller.

Hmmm. I found that kinda weird cos in both the PAL (Euro) versions (Collectors Edition and OoT/Master Quest) the L button is used for targeting, and it feels just like the N64 version. So I checked out the GameFAQs guides for Collectors Edition and GameFAQs guides for OoT/Master Quest. It seems the NTSC (US) versions have a different control depending on which disc you own: Z-targeting in CE, L-targeting in OoT/MQ.

As you can see here, the PAL controls of Collectors Edition OoT and Majoras Mask both use L-targeting.

Quote Post Goto Top

dataDyne
Forum Dinosaur!
Hmmm...I must have remembered the controls incorrectly. I've only played OoT on the Gamecube for about half and hour. I am also a PAL gamer by the way.

Sorry about that. -_-
-alxbly

floorcat
Member Avatar
Ragedy
Jul 10 2006, 07:37 AM
the NZ distributer of Nintendo products in NZ just ended their deal, which could mean a few things either Nintendo support is completely cut off  <_< , Nintendo of New Zealand is set up (Gosh I hope so), Nintendo sign a deal with another distributer or Nintendo of Australia distribute here.

Monaco corp were doing a horrible job anyway.

Man... that really blows that things are so unreliable/slow for you Ragedy! Hopefully things turn out okay in the end!

Are video games not all that popular in New Zealand or something? Or does Nintendo simply not place that much importance in satisfying their supporters out there?

Deleted User
Deleted User

Got a new game today: Otogi 2 (Xbox). Dunno what it's like, but it cost a massive 3, so if it sucks I've not lost much. Oh, and it's Sega, so I'm guessing it's gonna be okay.
Quote Post Goto Top

Irene(Hydronix)
Member Avatar
Level 30 Necromancer/Master of Quest 64
Just bought Lego Star Wars(GCN) and Starfox Assault. I'll let you know when I play them.
Even bastards need to let off some steam.

And apparently have more egos than Waffles.

Deleted User
Deleted User

Lego Star Wars is good, if a little easy. You should enjoy it though. I seen Star Fox Assault really cheap once (in a store that was clearing out all their gamecube games), but didn't pick it up. Now I'm kicking myself because it's never dropped in price... and I missed my chance.

:(

Quote Post Goto Top

StYoung
Member Avatar
Elite
The co-op in Lego Star Wars is pretty cool because your friend can just start and stop playing by just pressing Start...I think. It's been a while since I played it. As alxbly said it's pretty easy as it was designed for kids.

Star Fox Assault is also pretty cool. I only rented it and didn't play it that much so I can't say too much about it, but it's defiently fun.

The last game I bought was GUN. It was pretty fun, but way too short and the character development was awful. Still, it's good to see that Neversoft can do something besides keep making the Tony Hawk games stupider.
dagoss,Nov 17 2007
05:13 PM
OMG, this is the best topic ever made. I nominate Steve for God!

Deleted User
Deleted User

Yay!!! Got Star Fox Assault today. Boo!!! It doesn't have an instruction manual.
Quote Post Goto Top

floorcat
Member Avatar
Just picked up a copy of Brain Lord for the SNES... really cheap too!! :D

Now I've got a growing list of ~26 SNES games I've yet to play through... 22 of which are RPGs!!

StYoung
Member Avatar
Elite
alxbly
Jul 19 2006, 05:56 AM
Yay!!! Got Star Fox Assault today. Boo!!! It doesn't have an instruction manual.

I hate when I don't get the manual with games, but the worst thing IMO is the Player Choice/Greatest Hits/Platinum Hits covers. I pretty much refuse to buy those unless its a really good deal (Jak and Daxter) or thats the only way you can get it (Fable: TLC :angry: )

And good luck completing all those RPGs, floorcat.
dagoss,Nov 17 2007
05:13 PM
OMG, this is the best topic ever made. I nominate Steve for God!

Deleted User
Deleted User

^ Well, at least the assistant in the store was honest enough to tell me it didn't have a manual before he sold it to me. It was still a good deal, and a not bad game. That said, I'm yet to play any of the ground missions...

Quote:

the worst thing IMO is the Player Choice/Greatest Hits/Platinum Hits covers.

I try to avoid them when possible, but I still own a few. Some folks have really strong opions on them but I'm not too bothered: the game is the same and that's what I'm buying them for. That said, it was disappointing that Fable: TLC and Ninja Gaiden Black weren't available without the "Classics" cover (that's what the Xbox greatest hits got called in the UK). Strangely enough, Midnight Club Dub Edition Remix has a proper cover but a budget price...
Quote Post Goto Top

floorcat
Member Avatar
StYoung
Jul 22 2006, 01:32 PM
And good luck completing all those RPGs, floorcat.

Thanks StYoung, I'm gonna need it!!

(I doubt I'll be able to finish them within the next 15 years!)

Deleted User
Deleted User

^ You're not alone. I reckon I've only finished about a third of the games I own but it doesn't stop me form buying new ones. It's the collecting bug. :wacko:
Quote Post Goto Top

Irene(Hydronix)
Member Avatar
Level 30 Necromancer/Master of Quest 64
Only avoid it with Super Smash Bros. Melee, as 1.2(which is also Pal and "Greatest Hits") sucks.

Lego Star Wars rules...and my Star Fox Assault does happen to have a Booklet. Not the best one information-wise, but one none the less.
Even bastards need to let off some steam.

And apparently have more egos than Waffles.

floorcat
Member Avatar
alxbly
Jul 24 2006, 03:49 AM
It's the collecting bug.  :wacko:

The collecting bug is EVIL. I'd be living pretty comfortably if I didn't have it. -_-

Anyways, back on topic... my local game shop had a flawless-condition mega-cheap copy of Conker: Live & Reloaded, so I indulged myself in buying my first game for a non-Nintendo system. (!) :blink:

I know the Xbox update was a big disappointment to many, at least in terms of the multiplayer, but I really enjoyed the single player adventure on the N64, and look forward to experiencing the same game with fancy graphics & sound. B)

Deleted User
Deleted User

I've quite enjoyed the Xbox version, although I'm nowhere near finished it yet. I think a lot of the disappointment is down to the fact that it's the same game (in single player) but with updated graphics and sound. I think it's slighly more censored too. :blink:

Rare's been getting a lot of hate since they left Nintendo, which is also a reason why the game gets so easily dismissed. :(
Quote Post Goto Top

Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Other Video Games · Next Topic »
Add Reply