Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Working LodgeNet 64 Controller; How to make one!
Topic Started: Jul 11 2012, 10:10 AM (17,716 Views)
Thegt550
Member Avatar
N64/ Classic Car parts Hunter
TOPIC INTRODUCTION
by Bluedogrulez

We are all very proud of this "The Working LodgeNet 64 Controller" Topic. What began as an exploration into what was possible to accomplish with a controller with a gamecube-style stick that was designed for Lodgenet's N64 pay-per-play system, has lead to the creation of various types of modified "LN" controllers that work on standard N64 consoles, a How-To Guide by member and modder extraordinaire, Sanni, and numerous creators/owners of these unique N64 controller variants. And it all began with the below post by TheGT550 (who must be credited as the first creator of a working LodgeNet 64 controller). Thank you all for your contributions to this ground-breaking topic!

So I make the Lodgenet controller to work on a normal N64. ^_^
This is a original n64 controller board whit a Lodgenet Thumbstick
I will be uploading pictures and a video maybe
video: http://s1143.photobucket.com/albums/n633/TheGt550/?action=view&current=MOV06098.mp4

Posted Image
STAFF WARNING ABOUT THIS MEMBER: http://s9.zetaboards.com/Nintendo_64_Forever/topic/7400206/1/
I Arthur J. Garcia
Declare that i will Help People with their problems regarding the Golden N controller
this does not apply to people who resold theirs and dint bought it from TheGt550
I will sale whats left of my collection to help.(jusco,np100,japan blue/white)
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

lithium017
Member Avatar
Is Now Posting With Power
Excellent :yeah: Is the joystick on yours the original N64 one or the better one? And was the process difficult to do?
Click For Nintendo Collecting Youtube Page

N64 Consoles: 16 / 16 N64 Controllers 29 / 30 N64 Accessories: 8 / 10
NES: 32 --- SNES: 133 --- N64: 64 --- Gamecube: 78--- Wii: 75 --- WiiU: 14

bluedogrulez
Member Avatar
Racing for Fulcon Capital
:applause: :applause:

Can't wait to see pics and fingers crossed for a video!

GREAT JOB :applause: :applause:
Switch Friend Code: SW-0786-9287-1202 (bluedogBDR)
MK8Deluxe Tourney: N64Forever.com 2332-7277-8283
Nintendo Network ID: BDR2010 / Twitter: @bluedogrulez
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Thegt550
Member Avatar
@lithium017:
Yes the thumbstick is the Original Lodgenet GameCube style thumb stick.
Hard In a 1 to 10 is a 8 for a starter
Edited by Thegt550, Jul 11 2012, 10:20 AM.
STAFF WARNING ABOUT THIS MEMBER: http://s9.zetaboards.com/Nintendo_64_Forever/topic/7400206/1/
I Arthur J. Garcia
Declare that i will Help People with their problems regarding the Golden N controller
this does not apply to people who resold theirs and dint bought it from TheGt550

Mk II
Member Avatar
Elite
Quote:

So I make the Lodgenet controller to work on a normal N64

well done! :applause:
Posted Image

clarky_n64
Member Avatar
Modding Monster
Let me just clear things up, he got the Lodgenet analog to work on an N64 official controller. Not the lodgenet working on an N64.

I'll let him explain how he did it. It's quite easy if you have the correct tooling. You can also use an Xbox, 360, any PS, GC or Wii analog with this method aswell as they all use pot based analogs like the Lodgenet does.

Good job all the same though :yeah:
Edited by clarky_n64, Jul 11 2012, 11:26 AM.
Clarky & Smithy Creations YouTube Channel

Thegt550
Member Avatar

I Arthur J. Garcia

acomicbookguyc
Member Avatar
That's What She Said
You got a "how to" for this. I would really like to know how to get this made. I would have preferred to change the lodgenet board to a regular N64 controller instead of this. But thats just me.
WTB or trade for tons of N64 games and Accessories.
http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=56&threadid=69480

For trades go to my for sale thread.
http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=6&threadid=39946

sanni
Member Avatar
I'm pretty sure he changed the Lodgenet Controller Board for a original N64 Controller Board and then used this guide to make the stick work: http://www.mediafire.com/?q4232gx1w2q2w0s

Posted Image

Posted Image Posted Image Posted ImagePosted Image

danny_galaga
Member Avatar
Edited by danny_galaga, Jul 12 2012, 03:07 AM.

clarky_n64
Member Avatar
Modding Monster
sanni
Jul 12 2012, 02:28 AM
I'm pretty sure he changed the Lodgenet Controller Board for a original N64 Controller Board and then used this guide to make the stick work: http://www.mediafire.com/?q4232gx1w2q2w0s

He did exactly that :yeah:

I'm currently working on trying to get the actual analog from the lodgenet to work with an official controller without the need for programming a pic.

The lodgenet analog already has a preprogrammed chip just for the analog itself so it may be possible to get this to work with an official controller board. Unfortunately though, I'm still in doubt at the moment as I believe the lodgenet analog chip is programmed purely only to talk to the main chip on the lodgenet controller.

sanni
Member Avatar
I'm actually trying the same thing. Just need to find a spare N64 controller board that I can fry X_D

My guess is the following(not tested yet):

Spoiler: click to toggle

Im clueless about JP4A-7 because the original controller's thumbstick only had 6 wires, but the LN64 has one additional wire.
The JP4A-7 connects to the blue knob and the blue knob to the Hori chip.

Posted Image
Edited by sanni, Jul 12 2012, 11:47 AM.
Posted Image

clarky_n64
Member Avatar
Modding Monster
Funny enough you're guess is exactly what I tried first, which doesn't work :(

I had a bit of time tonight so I had another go at getting this working. I tried at least 20 combinations of wiring from the N64 controller to the analog. The results, absolutely nothing, not even a hint of movement.

I've come to the conclusion that the Hori chip on the analog board is purely programmed to work with the Hori chip on the Lodgenet controller.

It's a shame as I thought the Hori chip on the analog side would be programmed to convert the light sensor signals the N64 controller receives from the original analog to work with a pot based analog (like the lodgenet, GC, Xbox and PS analogs).

Just out of curiosity, has anyone cracked open one of those GC style sticks which are a direct replacement for the original analog?

Thegt550
Member Avatar
the controller needs a converter that was found in the hotels
Posted Image
Edited by Thegt550, Jul 12 2012, 06:55 PM.
I Arthur J. Garcia

sanni
Member Avatar
Does anyone have a LN64 controller with the original thumbstick design that could check how the original thumbstick is connected to the Hori chip?

Posted Image
Posted Image

clarky_n64
Member Avatar
Modding Monster
sanni
Jul 13 2012, 03:49 AM
Does anyone have a LN64 controller with the original thumbstick design that could check how the original thumbstick is connected to the Hori chip?

Posted Image
That would be useful info.

bluedogrulez
Member Avatar
sanni--if memory serves, i believe that the LN OEM thumbstick attaches to the LN board in the same manner as an OEM thumbstick attaches to an OEM board (blue connector piece). I say this having viewed pictures of LN thmbstick parts being offered for sale. my recollection not always 100% accurate i'm afriad.

I do have an LN with an OEM thumbstick, but cannot crack it open without ruining the two little black pieces covering two screws. Hopefully TheGT550 will post additional info soon so I am not further tempted to do this, lol.

EDIT: YES, CONFIRMED (photo from Ben Heck site)

Posted Image
Edited by bluedogrulez, Jul 13 2012, 09:19 AM.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Thegt550
Member Avatar
I did attempt to connect the original LN board but the controller doesn't act as a controller but as a remote controller for the TV/Console. MY opinion is that the Hori chip on the Board is specifically design to act whit the box to decode the info.
I Arthur J. Garcia

bluedogrulez
Member Avatar
But you acheived success without a LodgeNet TV box, right? Sry, I'm getting really confused . . .
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

sanni
Member Avatar
There are three different things to consider, don't confuse them :P

1) Using the entire LN64 controller with a retail N64 console --> not possible without the other Lodgenet hardware.

2) Using the LN64 controller's gc style thumbstick on a retail N64 controller board with the help of an Atmega8 microcontroller (see the tutorial I linked above)--> very easy to do. This method works with all analog sticks that use potentiometers like PS2, GC etc.
Thats what Thegt550 was doing.

3) Using the LN64 controller's thumbstick on a retail N64 controller board but without using the Atmega8 --> This is what clarky_n64 and me are trying to figure out. This way you would not need to buy and program the Atmega8.

I believe that 3) is indeed possible because the other version of the LN64 controller uses official N64 thumbsticks and has the same 44 pin Hori chip on the pcb as the LN64 controller with the gc style thumbsticks.

Edited by sanni, Jul 13 2012, 10:18 AM.
Posted Image

willis82
Just an FYI for you guys trying to use the lodgenet controller on a n64 console. The controller MUST be translated to work on the n64 system. I have the lodgenet prototype console. The controller goes through a converter box then into the system. Long term plans are to dump the chip inside the converter box to see what exactly is on the chip in hopes I could use these controllers as they are on a console. Basically have a converter box with a phone input on one end and a n64 cable on the other end.

On a side note the GameCube style sticks work exactly like the hori mini pad GameCube style sticks. They feel and respond exactly the same for those who have used the hori mini pads.

Thegt550
Member Avatar
sanni it actually make sense using atmega8

I need support on making another Category for only N64 mods (modifications)
Yes we have the Nintendo 64 Guides and information,thats cool for repairing your n64

But I think when need a special category for N64 mods
Suggestion Here please vote.
I Arthur J. Garcia

Thegt550
Member Avatar
Finally the how-to
Sure the translator can be a Arduino programed chip OR

A Third Party GameCube style thumbstick With a pre-programed chip (much easier and cheap)
Dissasemble it
Posted Image
Remove the thumbstick or just the yellow readers( leave the pins)
Connect the new thumbstick
1= down,2=ground,3=up / 4=left,5=ground,6=right

Posted Image

Can be used with Playstation, GC, Wii and other similar thumbsticks. Photos:bluedogrulez
I Arthur J. Garcia

sanni
Member Avatar
I would not recommend that. Those china crap chips in that gc style replacement thumbstick from ebay skip steps like hell.

One of the reasons I actually replaced mine with atmega8's:
Posted Image

So if you want to use the Lodgenet thumbstick in a retail controller better follow the tutorial I posted above, the one about flashing an atmega8 to act as a translator.

If you have a N64 flash cart like the Everdrive 64/Neo N64 Myth/64Drive you can test this for yourself. I programmed a little tool that shows you the analog output:
Posted Image
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/20912715/N64/ControllerTest.zip
Posted Image

bluedogrulez
Member Avatar
@TheGT550: Thank you for sharing the pinout of the gc-style board. Very clever to use a pre-programmed board!

@sanni: can you explain a little more about the "steps" (88?) and how close your atmega8 chip comes? This is really good stuff, want to know more.

Also, sanni, can you explain difference between the boards pictured in GT's post and your post (both appear to be Simple Jet v2.0)?
Edited by bluedogrulez, Jul 19 2012, 07:36 AM.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

clarky_n64
Member Avatar
Modding Monster
All is made sense here ;)

Thegt550
Member Avatar
The problem is not the chip but the analog it self. For me the board is very well constructed but the analog too sensitive.
Plus not all members have arduino and want to buy $40 dollars of arduino equipment just to make a thumbstick translator.
I Arthur J. Garcia

clarky_n64
Member Avatar
Modding Monster
Thegt550
Jul 19 2012, 08:36 AM
The problem is not the chip but the analog it self. For me the board is very well constructed but the analog too sensitive.
Plus not all members have arduino and want to buy $40 dollars of arduino equipment just to make a thumbstick translator.
Use resistors between the middle pins (X & Y points) to make it less sensitive. The higher the resistor value the less responsive the joystick will be.

sanni
Member Avatar
Thegt550, it's not the thumbstick itself it's the chip on the simplejet board. Trust me. That chip is crap.
All the flaws of the "GC Style Replacement stick" from ebay can be solved by soldering a programmed Atmega8 to the thumbstick.

A normal thumbstick goes like 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10... the simplejet board makes it go like this: 2,4,6,8,12,15,19.
It skips steps. They went cheap on the chip :(

Simplejet chip:
Posted Image

Atmega8:
Posted Image
(images made my micro, the maker of the atmega8 thumbstick mod linked above)

As I said before you can simply use the test software i linked(if you have a N64 flash cart) and see for yourself :P
Edited by sanni, Jul 19 2012, 09:09 AM.
Posted Image

bluedogrulez
Member Avatar
@ sanni: Thanks for that great info.

In defense of what TheGT550 is saying about the GC-stick, he is right that the LN has more range: (1) the actual metal thumbstick post moves further in all directions than the GC-stick post, and (2) the plastic cap is taller, whcih should help with finer movements. But your point about the chip having a greater impact on sensitivity and movement is well taken.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Modding, Repairs & Custom Projects · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: