Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Working LodgeNet 64 Controller; How to make one!
Topic Started: Jul 11 2012, 10:10 AM (18,844 Views)
alexenochs
could someone explaine by pictures and numbers labeling the wires what wires would be put together if i wanted to use the lodgenet analog with the n64 connector from the original controller (i know i still have to solder the 7th wire)
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

bluedogrulez
Member Avatar
Racing for Fulcon Capital
Go to first post in this thread. Click on the How-to Guide. There you will find a pic of where to wire.
Switch Friend Code: SW-0786-9287-1202 (bluedogBDR)
MK8Deluxe Tourney: N64Forever.com 2332-7277-8283
Nintendo Network ID: BDR2010 / Twitter: @bluedogrulez
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Meader
Member Avatar
Competitor
I own a lodgenet controller too and I thought this was impossible. You are the hero of time.
Posted Image
Work - Love - Nintendo 64

Roboplodicus
Member Avatar
Does anyone know if the LN controllers with the normal joysticks have the same sweet clicky buttons as the gamecube style ones?

sanni
Member Avatar
You can take the rubber out of the pot-based LN64 and put it into a stock N64 controller to get the most clicky buttons ever :D
Posted Image

Posted Image Posted Image Posted ImagePosted Image

LinusHofmann
Member Avatar
sanni
Mar 25 2016, 01:10 PM
You can take the rubber out of the pot-based LN64 and put it into a stock N64 controller to get the most clicky buttons ever :D
Oh man, those Hori style extra clicky button membranes. Don't like them at all myself, I always swap for standard. :huh:

I have a couple if anyone wants to swap for a pair of standard membranes!
Posted Image

20th Anniversary Joystick Refurb - Stainless steel and Teflon components!
My Twitter

Roboplodicus
Member Avatar
LinusHofmann
Mar 25 2016, 05:52 PM
Oh man, those Hori style extra clicky button membranes. Don't like them at all myself, I always swap for standard. :huh:

I have a couple if anyone wants to swap for a pair of standard membranes!
I'll take you up on that linus. I'll send you a PM about it.

BTW I stopped by my local craigslist retro games and accessories seller Nintendo Dan (shoutout) today and I had remembered he showed me a old lodgenet controller he had, and as I was talking to him he was telling me that he was probably going to start liquidating most of his stock and I mentioned if he was looking to sell the LN controller(one of the classic joystick style ones, but don't be dissapointed yet) I'd be interested, and so he thought about it for a minute and was like "ya it's just been sitting in my cabinet for years gathering dust so he looked up what they were going for on ebay and I picked it up from him for 25$, it didn't have the phone cord they usually had, someone must have took it apart and removed that part, but everything else was there and I noticed the joystick was really really new feeling so much that I thought it might have been replaced with a third party joystick at some point, I was also curious how the joystick connected in the old style controllers, so when I got home I took the thing apart, and I found the joystick is just a standard plug and play oem stock unit and that this joystick is actually a first party one, and wowwwww is it in good condition, like I was astonished. This also let me solve the mystery of "do the old ln 64s have clicky buttons" turns out they do not which is ever so slightly dissapointing but I'm still experiencing major hype from the basically brand new joystick I manage to come by for 25 dollars. the thing is pristine, untouched like when the very first native american saw Yosemite valley for the first time. I need to grease it up to make it last, I feel almost bad to just start playing games with it, like I should save it for some sort of special occasion.

Karsty5
Member Avatar
The GCN guy
Wow! Cool! :)
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCd7OLL-vIfr4bMQhasZ6a1A - My YouTube Channel
Posted Image

Roboplodicus
Member Avatar
sanni
Sep 9 2014, 02:58 AM
The deadzone depends on the individual stick. I like to make the deadzone so that the microcontroller starts counting the steps in the moment I feel the pressure of the potentiometers spring with my thumb.
So basicly I wiggle the stick around and feel where I want the deadzone to end. Usually the deadzone is between 30 and 40 with micros code.
@Sanni, I know this post I'm quoting is from like a year and a half ago, but I think I'm going to open up my LN controller again and throw an ATtiny24 in it with Micros translator code to account for the LN sticks greater base range. I had a couple questions though about the deadzone you implemented. How did you modify the code to always make a deadzone, also what does the 30 or 40 deadzone value represent in terms of the 84 step n64 joystick output, like a couple percent of the throw of the joystick? I looked at the code and tried to implement the deadzone myself but I don't think I did that sucessfully. :/

In other news I'm experimenting with putting different console joysticks in the N64 controller via micros code. So far I've finished gamecube in n64 which is pretty awesome, but could definitely use a deadzone, which is another reason I'm asking about this and wii pro classic controller joystick, which is actually pretty awesome as it no deadzone. Im working on xbox 360 joystick in n64 right now, and I may try PS depending on how things go. Tomorrow the plan is to hit up the local library's 3d printing lab and print a gamecube restrictor gate that will fit the n64 perfect greatly simplifying the mechanical process of building a hybrid controller.

Edit:
Speaking of ATtiny24's I have managed to lock 5 of those tiny's to the point where I'll need a high voltage programmer or some other piece of technology that isn't my USBASP programmer, so if anyone has one I can send you some free tiny's cuz I looked online and the cheapest programmer like that costs like 25-30 dollars, and the tiny's themselves only cost like 1.50$ a piece so I'm just going to order some more. Also there is apparently a way to build your own microcontroller unlocker as seen here http://mdiy.pl/atmega-fusebit-doctor-hvpp/?lang=en which is kind of intimidating for me, and I'd need to track down all those parts and I don't know how much they would cost. If someone wants to check that link out and give me an estimate how much it would cost to build that would be awesome, otherwise I'll just give away my locked tiny's to the needy. ;)
Edited by Roboplodicus, Apr 1 2016, 11:41 PM.

Nitroflux
I realize I am EXTREMELY late to the party, but I have two LN N64 controllers in the mail right now. Planning on making one Hotel Mod and one Switchback. Will update. I don't expect a reply, but has anyone here done the same mod with a LN GCN controller? I have a couple of those coming in the mail tonight and I want to make the Hotel Mod with those as well. Very excited!

bluedogrulez
Member Avatar
Hi Nitro! Welcome to the best N64 party on the web : )

On the first post you will read that WE discovered and developed the GC mod. It's awesome for some games. Some pics are not working anymore (thanks photobucket), but if you have any questions, ask away.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Nitroflux
So, I finished modding my LodgeNet GameCube controller today (I started it before the N64 one), and this is the result:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-m12f-jOMSXo/WbBlabCkK5I/AAAAAAAANYo/-lWNeWUSy6QP4voR0DxKVvjgdDBQAMw3QCK4BGAYYCw/s1600/IMG_5112.JPG

(I honestly have not even gotten home to test it yet, I literally JUST finished it about five minutes ago...)

As for my N64 controllers, I don't really know what to do.... They came in the mail and one joystick leans slightly to the left with the other slightly to the right. Will this have any effect on how they perform (Will post pics later)?

[EDIT] The controller has now been rigorously tested (in the form of beating every track on Double Dash in every CC), and I can say it works with zero problems!
Edited by Nitroflux, Sep 7 2017, 06:03 PM.

Vaettur
Member Avatar
Established Member
Already, I've been watching this thread for a long time...
I'm VERY interested in doing this mod, but I have only one concern...

How is the analog stick in terms of sensitivity?
Surely it will feel smooth, but how does it respond? Similar to the Hori Pad Mini?

bluedogrulez
Member Avatar
@Nitroflux: nice mod! If you assemble the LN64 controllers, you can slide the stick off and attempt to straighten the metal stub that the thumbstick sits atop.

@Vaettur: The N64 GC-style stick is more sensitive than the OEM N64 stick , but not as sensitive as the Hori Mini. Has more range (as discovered and documented by Sanni). Probably not great for 007 or Smash, but great for Star Wars E1 Racer and Sin & Punishment.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

« Previous Topic · Modding, Repairs & Custom Projects · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: