Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
The Xbox One Topic
Topic Started: May 21 2013, 12:13 PM (7,255 Views)
Matt
Member Avatar
Kick, Punch, It's all in the mind
Well now its been annouced, figured I'd start a topic

Complete failure IMO, Shares for Sony are shooting up...
Posted Image
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

bluedogrulez
Member Avatar
Racing for Fulcon Capital
Would you believe a local radio station out of New York City was reporting this morning that it was called the "XBOX 720"?

Saw a pic and it looks like a VCR, lol. What's the price point?
Switch Friend Code: SW-0786-9287-1202 (bluedogBDR)
MK8Deluxe Tourney: N64Forever.com 2332-7277-8283
Nintendo Network ID: BDR2010 / Twitter: @bluedogrulez
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

YogurtStorm
Member Avatar
Your mom is a nice lady
What an awfully lame name. I liked Xbox Infinity or " X8" better. Did they announce anything except Halo 5?
My Youtube Channel: All game. No bla-bla. PS4 ShareFactory gameplay
Posted Image Home of Conker's Corner

Matt
Member Avatar
Sports titles, Forza 5

Console will have a (unannounced at this time) used game fee

Always online not true although each game requires mandatory hard drive installation and activation with Xbox LIVE

No backwards compatibility

No gameplay shown

Halo Live TV series announced
Posted Image

floorcat
Member Avatar
Nintendo sixty-floorcat :P
There was about 2 minutes in the middle that was somewhat interesting... a trailer for "Quantum Break". The rest of the reveal was overwhelmingly packed with excess features/facets in which I have no interest for my GAMING console to have (TV, Skype, Bing, Kinect, Sports, etc.). I stopped listening to the audio after the QB trailer, and from what I saw, the naturally requisite Forza/CoD/Halo bits were predictably uninteresting for me.
Now Playing: Clash Royale (mobile), Rayman Legends, Fat Princess Adventures, Project CARS, Uncharted 4 Survival Mode ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ

Phantom
Member Avatar
Veteran
I think ill stick with the PS4 for the time being :D Dont like the look or the way the Xbox sounds.

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
I'm psyched! :w00t:

When the technology is discussed I'm again reminded that we live in exponential times. Consider that the new Kinect will even be able to detect your heart rate! :o
"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." - Arthur Schopenhauer

Posted Image

justinwebb
Member Avatar
I have no interest in anything new really lol. My newest system is a sega saturn so they wont get any of my money. The whole idea of it seems dumb but the hardware itself seems pretty nice. Sucks for all those suckers who bought games for the 360 now they have to buy them again for the new system.

My collection and wanted list!

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
justinwebb
May 21 2013, 01:01 PM
Sucks for all those suckers who bought games for the 360 now they have to buy them again for the new system.
As consoles progress at this exponential rate you won't expect any of them to be backwards compatible. Why would you want them to be when the new gameplay possibilities are so exciting?

Not just that but if you want to play older games you're generally given that opportunity via emulation. Granted the emerging trends do seem bad for collectors in some ways though. :unsure:
"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." - Arthur Schopenhauer

Posted Image

Mk II
Member Avatar
Elite
Quote:

No backwards compatibility

A huge fail that won't go down too well IMHO.
It's basically the same but souped up tech / architecture as the 360 so including a "360 mode" must be possible.
This will drive up costs for Xbox One users who will feel the need to buy lots of 70$ games for their shiny new console AND drive down the value of existing Xbox 360 collections.
The opposite has happened to the best Gamecube titles... they increased in value because the Wii will happily play them.
Edited by Mk II, May 21 2013, 01:17 PM.
Posted Image

Vekoma64
Member Avatar
Well I was fence and watched both consoles unveiling and they really both have left me feeling a bit meh. I find the name "One" disappointing and really have to ask if Microsoft want me as user. Over 30 mins of stuff I was not interested in before they even discussed games and lots of stuff that will take years if ever to get to Europe. I do not watch much TV and have little interest in sports. They did not answer many questions during the show that needed to be answered only to drip feed it through the press after which I find is a sneaky way to disguise some shocking features. Anyway I am trying not to be dis heartened because E3 is not far away and I hope we shall see the games then but it is clear that they want the all in "One" home entertainment device and that's cool if you want that but so far its not for me and lack of focus on games is heart breaking having been with the Xbox since day one.

There was some positives I took away though, the pad looks great and I like the triggers, then the new Remedy game Quantum Break which really grabbed my interest and I am a big fan of Alan Wake and it's story telling. The new Forza looks good but really want to see more. Still when I look at the big picture so far I will not be buying one.

+ Pad
+ Forza
+ Quantum Break

- Mandatory game instillation
- Charge for pre-owned games
- Online activation for software
- Trending tab on dashboard( wow a whole tab for advertising)
- No backwards compatibility
- Kinect mandatory

Wow what will the next gen next gen be like, I like my soul...

Edited by Vekoma64, May 21 2013, 02:31 PM.
Nintendo gaming since 1989 WiiU NNID- Vekoma64

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
You can thank rampant piracy for many of the features such as on-line software activation on the next-gen consoles. The Kinect being mandatory isn't much different from the motion controls on the original Wii.

What is cool is that the Xbox One will interface with your tablet so that may bode well for the Wii U in the long run in terms of third-party support.

At the end of the day it's going to be about the games because, after all, content is king. :D

Here's a picture of the Xbox One's controller.

Posted Image

Looks like the d-pad is much improved and much more Nintendo like.

Posted Image

Matt
Member Avatar
Grizzmeister
May 21 2013, 02:33 PM
You can thank rampant piracy for many of the features such as on-line software activation on the next-gen consoles. The Kinect being mandatory isn't much different from the motion controls on the original Wii.

What is cool is that the Xbox One will interface with your tablet so that may bode well for the Wii U in the long run in terms of third-party support.

At the end of the day it's going to be about the games because, after all, content is king. :D

Here's a picture of the Xbox One's controller.

Posted Image

Looks like the d-pad is much improved and much more Nintendo like.
This is just going to make piracy become more common, Pirates will just buy the "offline pass" instead, and like all DRM, ends up screwing the consumer
Posted Image

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
Nowadays I don't buy new consoles at launch but rather I wait and see which one has the exclusives that I most enjoy. I know that the Wii U will inevitably get Mario Kart and Super Smash Bros. with a possibility of F-Zero or Wave Race so I'm sure somewhere down the line I'll pick one up.

The Xbox One while technically impressive probably won't convince me to make a purchase until some really revolutionary software is released. The specs are indeed impressive as the 8GB of DDR3 RAM should make for some huge worlds to play in. For you tech geeks; yeah the PS4 is more impressive as it'll use cutting edge GDDR5 RAM which makes me wonder how that'll affect the console's overall price.

Posted Image

Vekoma64
Member Avatar
I wonder with all the features that Microsoft say they can run all at once and quickly what impact this will have on the amount of RAM that can be used for games. In many ways it is like a simplified PC and this concerned me with the PS4 features too, although so far Microsoft seem to be taking all these social and media bumph to the next level and this might use a lot of system resources. Can not wait till next spring when the dust has settled and we can see all these ideas in action and how it works because lots gets said but features do not always make it.
Edited by Vekoma64, May 21 2013, 03:20 PM.
Nintendo gaming since 1989 WiiU NNID- Vekoma64

i8ablueskittle
and it tasted good...
Ugly console and controller, not a fan of kinect.
However, multitasking is a big step.
The whole anti used-game movement is incredibly frustrating as well.
Call of duty ghosts finally seems to be a step in the right direction for COD since COD4.
Haven't read anything on the PS4 besides the controller so i have no preference as of now.
Forever searching for 1080 Snowboarding and 1080 Avalanche items.
Love N64 Prototypes and Unreleased games.
PM me or email me at i8ablueskittle@gmail.com

ddr2nite
Member Avatar
Controller Collecting Extraordinaire
Here are my feelings after thinking about it for a few hours after the reveal this morning...

Pros:
- upgraded hardware
- ability to switch quickly between gaming/TV without needing to change inputs via a remote control
- ability to search TV programming without needing a remote
- integration with fantasy sports to display stat lines directly on the screen in real-time

Cons:
- no backwards compatibility
- (visually) ugly/plain looking form factor
- seems too reliant on the cloud (what happens when if the internet is temporarily out?)
- seems too subscription based (what if I don't want to pay for an XBox Live account?)
- game list yet to be seen
Posted ImageClick here to check out my N64 collection.
N64 Controllers: 30/30 Completed | ASCII Controllers: 15/15 Completed
N.A. Boxes: 8/8 Completed | Japan Boxes: 21/21 Completed
Full NTSC-J CIB Set: 198/198 Completed

"trust me, we all started with just one or two games
and then things kinda got out of hand
" - MK II

Spidercolt
Member Avatar
Mario Maniac
I am getting the Xbox One. They didn't even say anything about backwards compatibility and i think it looks cool. My guess is $400.

Microsoft never said anything about a used game fee either.

Call of Duty Ghosts looks like a launch title.
Edited by Spidercolt, May 21 2013, 04:23 PM.
Get :n64: Or Get Out!

NTSC Collection: 81 Games
61 Cart Only
20 Complete In Box

GameCube: 78 Games Complete

My Collection

Nintendo Network ID: Spidercolt.

DeeMoney
Member Avatar
Outback Adventurer
I've awoken today to find this topic. I havn't watched the broadcast yet and to tell you the truth I'm a bit worried about watching it as I don't see much favorable information coming from what you guys have seen from it.

Being an Xbox owner since it's inception I'm a little concerned that Microsoft hasn't come to the table with something better. This is not good, I may be switching sides here if I don't like what I see.

A used game fee?? You must be kidding me!! :nope:
Nintendo Network ID - DeeMoney19
PSN Network ID - hallxx81xx
Xbox Live Gamertag - DeeMoney 2K19

Posted Image

Spidercolt
Member Avatar
Mario Maniac
DeeMoney
May 21 2013, 04:32 PM
A used game fee?? You must be kidding me!! :nope:
Microsoft hasn't said anything about a used game fee. it is all rumors.

61 Cart Only
20 Complete In Box

My Collection

DeeMoney
Member Avatar
Outback Adventurer
Lets hope this doesn't happen. That's an absolute killer for me.

Posted Image

Spidercolt
Member Avatar
Mario Maniac
DeeMoney
May 21 2013, 04:40 PM
Lets hope this doesn't happen. That's an absolute killer for me.
It will be good trust me lol
Edited by Spidercolt, May 21 2013, 04:52 PM.

61 Cart Only
20 Complete In Box

My Collection

floorcat
Member Avatar
Taken from the very source:
Quote:

Xbox One hardware is not compatible with Xbox 360 games.

According to their Twitter:
Quote:

There is not a fee for playing used games.

... though it sounds like MS is trying to take over all the used game commerce surrounding their new console, according to the Wire:
Quote:

We are designing Xbox One to enable customers to trade in and resell games. Weíll have more details to share later.
Now Playing: Clash Royale (mobile), Rayman Legends, Fat Princess Adventures, Project CARS, Uncharted 4 Survival Mode ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ

sanni
Member Avatar
The Xbox One can't be backwards compatible because the Xbox 360 was a PowerPC and the Xbox One will be x86-64 architecture. Those two are not compatible to each other. It's the same reason why you can't install Windows on old Macs, when Macs still had PPC's.
Same case for the 1st Xbox(x86) and the Xbox 360(PPC). On the 360 you could only play the original Xbox games through emulation. ^_^

You will probably see ports of older Xbox 360 games like Halo 3 on the Xbox One where the developer will rewrite the source code so it runs on the Xbox One. But ofc you have to buy your games all over again this way. :rofl:

The good thing is that once the security of the Xbox One has been breached and you'll be able to run custom code there will be lots of emulators ported from the PC to the Xbox One because the PC also is x86, so porting those is easy. Meaning one day you will be able to play all your classic games on the Xbox One, even PS2 and Wii and NDS games. Lets just hope Microsoft didn't make it too hard for the hackers >_<
Posted Image

Posted Image Posted Image Posted ImagePosted Image

YogurtStorm
Member Avatar
Your mom is a nice lady
Unless Microsoft pull out an array of amazing exclusive titles (I mean exclusive, not exclusive until it comes out on PC 2 years later) as well as FREE online play, I will have to stick with the Sony box (which I intended to do initially). I just don't see what the Xbox One will have that the PS4 won't. Knowing Sony, they'll just copy every cool gimmick the XBOne has and integrate it into the PS4 (as they did in every other generation).
My Youtube Channel: All game. No bla-bla. PS4 ShareFactory gameplay
Posted Image Home of Conker's Corner

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
I like what I'm seeing about the Xbox One so far but then again I'm very happy with my 360.

More than likely I'll end up with a Xbox One and Wii U in the next console generation which should provide me access to all the content I'll need.

The PS4 could prove to be a nice machine too so I'll wait to see it before making a decision.

Posted Image

floorcat
Member Avatar
Finally, something (relatively) definitive regarding the "always-online" issue... from Kotaku:
Quote:

Kotaku: If Iím playing a single player game, do I have to be online at least once per hour or something like that? Or can I go weeks and weeks?

Harrison: I believe itís 24 hours.

Kotaku: Iíd have to connect online once every day.

Harrison: Correct.
I wonder how angry the Xbox gods get if it doesn't connect to get the daily dosage of adverts... :unsure:

... and regarding the controversial "fee"...
Quote:

...if you want to bring a game disc to a friend's house and play there? You'll have to pay a feeóand not just some sort of activation fee, but the actual price of that gameóin order to use a game's code on a friend's account. Think of it like a new game, Harrison said. [....] should you choose to play your game at your friendís house, there is no fee to play that game while you are signed in to your profile.

And another interesting tid-bit, that may or may not be connected to today's Xbox reveal... Sony & Nintendo both saw their stock jump up about 2 points today... :eh:

DeeMoney
Member Avatar
Outback Adventurer
That second quote is disappointing. I've not read anything that has impressed me thus far.

Posted Image

Spidercolt
Member Avatar
Mario Maniac
DeeMoney
May 21 2013, 07:01 PM
That second quote is disappointing. I've not read anything that has impressed me thus far.
Xbox support has confirmed that this is not true.

Go to Twitter Pic
Edited by Spidercolt, May 21 2013, 07:21 PM.

61 Cart Only
20 Complete In Box

My Collection

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
Of course your Xbox One will have to be on-line at least once a day cuz how else can it report to Microsoft what the Kinect observed you doing. :lol:

Here's a funny video about Kinect on the Xbox 360.

X-Play Comedy: Kinect and Adam Sessler

Posted Image

Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Xbox One · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: