Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
The Xbox One Topic
Topic Started: May 21 2013, 12:13 PM (7,551 Views)
Matt
Member Avatar
Kick, Punch, It's all in the mind
Well now its been annouced, figured I'd start a topic

Complete failure IMO, Shares for Sony are shooting up...
Posted Image
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Replies:
Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
Everything about Microsoft's business practices just seem so dirty as of late. It doesn't appear like the company has any respect for their customers.

I've never hidden my distaste for the Xbox One and its Kinect peripheral but this recent Machinima scandal is a new low that I even I find shocking. :-/

Many people talk about how the Wii U is in trouble but to my mind the Xbox One is the console that's on shaky ground.
Edited by Grizzmeister, Jan 22 2014, 10:55 AM.
"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." - Arthur Schopenhauer

Posted Image

floorcat
Member Avatar
Nintendo sixty-floorcat :P
The practice is certainly nothing new... in ADVERTISING... and (as I'm sure we're all finding out now) is sadly a pretty pervasive/common practice throughout Youtube. However, like Matt said, it's one thing if you see a celebrity endorsing a product, because one can very easily distinguish that the endorsement is essentially a paid advertisement. With Youtube vloggers etc., these are people to whom the masses can often easily relate, and whose opinions are often trusted, so the line between an opinion and an advertisement is very blurred when agreements like this come about. The absolute worst facet of this agreement (and ones like it) with which I have the biggest issue, is the following:
From Section 5 of the XB1M13 agreement of underhanded shadiness

You agree to keep confidential at all times all matters relating to this Agreement, including, without limitation, the Promotional Requirements, and the CPM Compensation, listed above.
Basically, the main intent of this section is to simply deceive viewers into believing a paid advertisement is an honest opinion. And from what I can tell, it seems all parties involved are trying to hide/gloss over this facet of the agreement, even after the recent disclosure. Absolutely abhorrent.
Now Playing: Clash Royale (mobile), Gravity Rush 2, Project CARS, Uncharted 4 Survival Mode ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ

YogurtStorm
Member Avatar
Your mom is a nice lady
That's not nearly as bas as Dead Rising's new 13gb patch that forces an internet connection to play. Sounds familiar?

As much as I want to love all systems, the Xbone is kind of the laughing stock of the industry at the moment.
My Youtube Channel: All game. No bla-bla. PS4 ShareFactory gameplay
Posted Image Home of Conker's Corner

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
floorcat
Jan 22 2014, 11:06 AM
From Section 5 of the XB1M13 agreement of underhanded shadiness

You agree to keep confidential at all times all matters relating to this Agreement, including, without limitation, the Promotional Requirements, and the CPM Compensation, listed above.
Basically, the main intent of this section is to simply deceive viewers into believing a paid advertisement is an honest opinion. And from what I can tell, it seems all parties involved are trying to hide/gloss over this facet of the agreement, even after the recent disclosure. Absolutely abhorrent.
It's disgusting! It'd be like finding out that Lithium is being paid to advertise in his wonderful and influential YT videos without disclosing the fact. Thankfully he and finngamer have too much integrity to involve themselves in such behavior just to turn a few quick bucks.
"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." - Arthur Schopenhauer

Posted Image

The Red Shadow
Member Avatar
The Seeker
Xbox One's Price Drops After Three Months

Thoughts? Its only dropping in the UK at the moment but could a more widespread price drop be imminent?

Matt
Member Avatar
I'd be ticked off if I was a early adopter... Considering it comes with Titanfall (around 50 RRP), it's equivalent to a 80 price drop if you wanted that game... Should do something like the ambassador program.
Posted Image

DeeMoney
Member Avatar
Outback Adventurer
I doubt we'll see a price drop here in Australia. Retailers here are thieves, just taking money from people.
Nintendo Network ID - DeeMoney19
PSN Network ID - hallxx81xx
Xbox Live Gamertag - DeeMoney 2K19

Posted Image

floorcat
Member Avatar
Chatting with my local game shop buddies, they told me how they (as a small independent game shop) were interested in recent promotions our area big-box stores have been starting, such as Target's free $50 gift card with Xbox One console purchase... to take advantage of the (essentially) free money for stocking up on their inventory of Xbox One consoles. Wanting to see if there was a limit to how many gift cards they could rack up through this promo (and in effect, gauge general interest in the console based off of how much Xbox One inventory this Target had), they realized that Xbox One isn't exactly a hot item here... there were like 60+ consoles in stock. PS4, as they'd expected, were not in stock.

If indicative of a widespread/world-wide trend... this, in conjunction with the recent naming of Stephen Elop (former Nokia CEO) as the new head of Microsoft's Devices and Services (including Xbox) division, makes me kind of wonder if Xbox as we know it may cease to exist by this time next year. There have been rumors that Elop might be in favor of scrapping areas of Microsoft (Xbox included) if they don't align totally with their new business strategy. From a recent Bloomberg article...
Quote:

Elop would be prepared to sell or shut down major businesses to sharpen the company's focus, the people said. He would consider ending Microsoft's costly effort to take on Google with its Bing search engine, and would also consider selling healthy businesses such as the Xbox game console if he determined they weren't critical to the company's strategy, the people said.

Earlier this week, investors drove Microsoft shares to their highest price since mid-2000, after Nomura Holdings Inc. analyst Rick Sherlund said the sale of Bing and Xbox, along with other moves, could lift fiscal 2015 earnings by 40 percent.
Now Playing: Clash Royale (mobile), Gravity Rush 2, Project CARS, Uncharted 4 Survival Mode ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ

DeeMoney
Member Avatar
Outback Adventurer
Wow, that's some crazy news mate. It would be a shame if Xbox didn't continue.

Posted Image

floorcat
Member Avatar
Totally agree, Dee!! Though to be honest, I highly doubt Xbox is going anywhere... even if it gets sold off, it's still going to be a lucrative business... imagine a Google or Amazon-branded Xbox!! :blink:

Norcal
Member Avatar

I don't think we'd see them completely scrap the Xbox - They're still doing pretty good as far as sales, just not as good as the Ps4. I think if they were going to drop the Xbox they'd do it next gen though, not the Xbox One.

The Red Shadow
Feb 24 2014, 09:16 PM
Xbox One's Price Drops After Three Months

Thoughts? Its only dropping in the UK at the moment but could a more widespread price drop be imminent?
Well the dropped price in the UK is still the equivalent to $664 in the US, well above the retail price here. If anything we'd probably keep seeing those game-console bundles or gift card incentives from retailers rather than an actual price cut in the console itself. I still don't know why Microsoft hasn't just released a kinect-less Xbox One though, it could at least match the Ps4's price with that. The kinect is cool and all, but I don't think most gamers even care about it and it doesn't exactly serve a purpose in the vast majority of games.
Edited by Norcal, Feb 24 2014, 11:40 PM.
Posted Image

buddy1983
Member Avatar
Veteran
I brought the Xbox launch day and the drop doesnt bother me as I got it free with Fifa 14 anyway. I think its the right move by MS to shift a few more consoles as they are lagging behind Sony.
I also dont think Xbox will go anywhere as they would be crazy to ditch something which will make them a profit, the 360 was great for them and the ONE wwill be too given time. Theres too much made of the PS having better spec, at the end of the day games sell systems and MS have great games in their arsenal still to come.

Will buy a PS4 at some point as its always nice to be able to play off the exclusives but money is tight so I very much doubt I will get one before a proper price drop, not just 30-50.
Youtube

Wii U user name: Read1ngFC (thats a one and not a i)

Switch friend code SW-4595-4819-7191

UK resident

Posted Image

I'm currently playiing triangle in a reggae band. I just stand in the back and Ting

Mop it up
Member Avatar
Forum Urban Legend
If Nintendo were savvy then it would benefit them to buy the Xbox brand. Not for the Xbox One, that thing's a moneypit that only the cash-bag company Microsoft can support; Nintendo would scrap that system.

What they would gain are all of the Microsoft-owned IPs. Imagine if Nintendo had the likes of Halo, Forza, Gears of War, Fable, and others on top of their own stable of franchises. That would really help them battle it out in the North America market against Sony. Not only that, but they would gain the Xbox Live infrastructure and finally have a competent online system. If they then made it free, it would trounce all over Sony. Plus then they would get Rare's IPs back and maybe do something good with them for once.

They should stick with the Wii U for a few more years, so all this would go towards its successor. But in the meantime, the studios they gained from Microsoft could be readying games for the successor's launch. A launch with Halo, Forza, Mario, and Wii Sports would cover all the bases, and be one for the record books.

Too bad Nintendo are too conservative and xenophobic to make a move like this...

Cabanon
Elite
there's no price drop here, just a Titanfall bundle, and it's an online voucher,not even a disc. no special console, just the regular one, not even a sticker ! thats pretty cheap from MS. they're passing their overstock with a cool box, that's it.

DeeMoney
Member Avatar
Outback Adventurer
^^^ That pretty much sums it up mate. It's not really anything special and they don't need to spend money on cases, discs or inserts. I don't really have that feeling that I need to play Titanfall anyway. It really hasn't blow me away in any capacity. It's coming out on the 360 anyway, so if I like it, the 360 has me covered with a cheaper version.

Posted Image

Norcal
Member Avatar

Quote:

If Nintendo were savvy then it would benefit them to buy the Xbox brand. Not for the Xbox One, that thing's a moneypit that only the cash-bag company Microsoft can support; Nintendo would scrap that system.

What they would gain are all of the Microsoft-owned IPs. Imagine if Nintendo had the likes of Halo, Forza, Gears of War, Fable, and others on top of their own stable of franchises. That would really help them battle it out in the North America market against Sony. Not only that, but they would gain the Xbox Live infrastructure and finally have a competent online system. If they then made it free, it would trounce all over Sony. Plus then they would get Rare's IPs back and maybe do something good with them for once.

They should stick with the Wii U for a few more years, so all this would go towards its successor. But in the meantime, the studios they gained from Microsoft could be readying games for the successor's launch. A launch with Halo, Forza, Mario, and Wii Sports would cover all the bases, and be one for the record books.

Too bad Nintendo are too conservative and xenophobic to make a move like this...

Yeah that's very true.

And even without doing that, i've always wondered why they don't just make a competitive gaming machine (when it comes to hardware) in addition to their wii line. The gamecube was pretty good at holding its own vs the other mainstream consoles at the time. I feel like they're missing so many opportunities by not doing it. Imagine a Nintendo console with the equivalent power of a Ps4, great controller, and the nintendo exclusives we all love. I'd pick that over the PS\XB any day.
Edited by Norcal, Feb 27 2014, 11:48 AM.
Posted Image

hockeylife21
The thing is norcal most people wouldn't choose the nintendo console over PS/Xbox even if their power was equal. In the end of the day mainstream teens who play PS/XBOX and are easily the biggest fanbase that buys these systems just think Nintendo is too kiddy etc. All of my friends question why I buy Nintendos systems first over Sonys or MS and it all comes down to exclusives. They've had that image since the Wii and I doubt they can get away from that. Also I'm really looking forward to E3 for MS, I'm hoping for a renewal of a Rare IP (probably won't happen) but halo 5 is going to be really impressive I bet.

jmacbear25
Member Avatar
So I've really been debating lately as to whether or not I want to buy this console and it seems as if overall feedback is rather negative..Titanfall is so enticing tho
N64 has the best platforms

I want me some standees! Sunshine and mario 64, and BK series standees as well with zelda 64 :)

YogurtStorm
Member Avatar
Your mom is a nice lady
Nintendo is a financially impressive company, but buy the Xbox brand, really? i'd imagine something like this:

Nintendo walks to Microsoft's doorstep, knocks and asks to purchase the Xbox brand. Microsoft shuts door in Nintendo's face.

Doubtful Microsoft would even be mildly entertained by such a proposition. They're a powerful company even morefinancially impressive than Nintendo and, like you say, they've now got their roots sunk into the ground in a place they want to be. I think there is no way Microsoft would sell off Xbox, it's a really profitable brand.
Edited by YogurtStorm, Mar 9 2014, 11:51 AM.

Norcal
Member Avatar

jmacbear25
Mar 9 2014, 11:33 AM
So I've really been debating lately as to whether or not I want to buy this console and it seems as if overall feedback is rather negative..Titanfall is so enticing tho
Most of the negative feedback is overblown to be honest, I wouldn't base your decision on that. I'd decide based on the types of exclusives you'd prefer to play.
Posted Image

hockeylife21
Yogurt, the new CEO has said he would like to see the Xbox brand sold as they haven't profitted ever from Xbox I think, not that its going to happen but yea

Mop it up
Member Avatar
Forum Urban Legend
jmacbear25
Mar 9 2014, 11:33 AM
Titanfall will also be released on the Xbox 360 and PC, so you won't need to buy an Xbox One for it.

YogurtStorm
Member Avatar
Your mom is a nice lady
hockeylife21
Mar 9 2014, 02:18 PM
Yogurt, the new CEO has said he would like to see the Xbox brand sold as they haven't profitted ever from Xbox I think, not that its going to happen but yea
To be fair, Nintendo said the same thing a few weeks ago (looking into considering acquisition or merger), but I think both are unlikely.

jmacbear25
Member Avatar
That's what I will do Ill buy it for 360 that solves my problems!
N64 has the best platforms

I want me some standees! Sunshine and mario 64, and BK series standees as well with zelda 64 :)

buddy1983
Member Avatar
Veteran
@jmacbear25, I love my Xbox one. wouldnt believe all the rubbish you read online.
Youtube

UK resident

Posted Image

I'm currently playiing triangle in a reggae band. I just stand in the back and Ting

Matt
Member Avatar
Be careful about buying Titanfall on 360, call me skeptical, but I believe there is a reason they haven't released ANYTHING from that version
Posted Image

Mop it up
Member Avatar
Forum Urban Legend
Matt
Mar 10 2014, 06:48 AM
Be careful about buying Titanfall on 360, call me skeptical, but I believe there is a reason they haven't released ANYTHING from that version
I imagine the reason is that Microsoft are trying to sell Xbox One systems so that's the version they are going to advertise. It's like how Nintendo focused mostly on the Wii version of Zelda Twilight Princess even though there was a GameCube version.

buddy1983
Member Avatar
Veteran
so MS are going to start selling the one without Kinect, this annoys me because as someone who brought it on launch and brought into the whole Kinect is the main part of the console I feel cheated a bit. If i had the choice, if I knew it would be an option then I wouldn't have bothered because if 3rd parties dont fully support it then you end up with rubbish games but if its part of the console then developers are going to add more features for it into their games and the games SHOULD be better for it.

MS found this out with the 360 and this is the reason it was added to the ONE so going back on what they said is a bad move in my opinion.

What do you guys think, does it make it more attractive to those that didn't plan on buying a ONE? Should us early adopters be annoyed?
Youtube

UK resident

Posted Image

Norcal
Member Avatar

I understand your position Buddy - I can't say I'm surprised or blame MS for it though. I think the $100 price increase over the Ps4 was really keeping the XB1 from being as competitive as it could be. I own an XB1 w\ Kinect, and while it's cool, there are a lot of people who simply don't want it and aren't interested in using it so forcing them to pay $100 more than a ps4 could be a dealbreaker.

And hey, at least they're listening to feedback - they went from literally not allowing the Kinect to be unplugged to this. Hopefully this makes things more competitive.
Posted Image

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
buddy1983
May 13 2014, 09:41 AM
What do you guys think, does it make it more attractive to those that didn't plan on buying a ONE? Should us early adopters be annoyed?
Microsoft could offer me a night with Nina Dobrev and a free T-bone steak and I still wouldn't be interested in the Xbox One. This gen it's all PS4 and Wii U for me. ^_^

Posted Image

Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Xbox One · Next Topic »
Add Reply