Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
The Xbox One Topic
Topic Started: May 21 2013, 12:13 PM (7,254 Views)
floorcat
Member Avatar
Nintendo sixty-floorcat :P
There was about 2 minutes in the middle that was somewhat interesting... a trailer for "Quantum Break". The rest of the reveal was overwhelmingly packed with excess features/facets in which I have no interest for my GAMING console to have (TV, Skype, Bing, Kinect, Sports, etc.). I stopped listening to the audio after the QB trailer, and from what I saw, the naturally requisite Forza/CoD/Halo bits were predictably uninteresting for me.
Now Playing: Clash Royale (mobile), Rayman Legends, Fat Princess Adventures, Project CARS, Uncharted 4 Survival Mode ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

floorcat
Member Avatar
Taken from the very source:
Quote:

Xbox One hardware is not compatible with Xbox 360 games.

According to their Twitter:
Quote:

There is not a fee for playing used games.

... though it sounds like MS is trying to take over all the used game commerce surrounding their new console, according to the Wire:
Quote:

We are designing Xbox One to enable customers to trade in and resell games. Weíll have more details to share later.
Now Playing: Clash Royale (mobile), Rayman Legends, Fat Princess Adventures, Project CARS, Uncharted 4 Survival Mode ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ

floorcat
Member Avatar
Finally, something (relatively) definitive regarding the "always-online" issue... from Kotaku:
Quote:

Kotaku: If Iím playing a single player game, do I have to be online at least once per hour or something like that? Or can I go weeks and weeks?

Harrison: I believe itís 24 hours.

Kotaku: Iíd have to connect online once every day.

Harrison: Correct.
I wonder how angry the Xbox gods get if it doesn't connect to get the daily dosage of adverts... :unsure:

... and regarding the controversial "fee"...
Quote:

...if you want to bring a game disc to a friend's house and play there? You'll have to pay a feeóand not just some sort of activation fee, but the actual price of that gameóin order to use a game's code on a friend's account. Think of it like a new game, Harrison said. [....] should you choose to play your game at your friendís house, there is no fee to play that game while you are signed in to your profile.

And another interesting tid-bit, that may or may not be connected to today's Xbox reveal... Sony & Nintendo both saw their stock jump up about 2 points today... :eh:

floorcat
Member Avatar
Thought this was a pretty (hilariously!) spot-on summary of today's presser...

and to be completely fair, here's the standout PS4 reveal highlights...
Edited by floorcat, May 21 2013, 09:16 PM.

floorcat
Member Avatar
Yeah... of all the games they showed at the Xbox conference, Dead Rising 3 was definitely my top, top pick. I really enjoyed DR2 (and what I played of DR1)... and though it didn't seem anywhere near as comical as the previous games in the series, it still looked WAY cool!!

Here's hoping that it's a timed exclusive... the way they worded the exclusivity sounded like there's a chance it could be released on other platforms at a later date/year.

D4, Quantum Break, and those smaller indie games looked pretty promising as well.

floorcat
Member Avatar
"Dead Rising 3, available this holiday exclusively for the Xbox One."

Taken verbatim from the MS E3 conference. That leaves a slight possibility that it could be released next year for the PS4. Based off of Capcom's track record, they've been known to reduce console exclusivity to a timed thing - don't forget that Resident Evil 4 was supposed to be "exclusive" to the Gamecube.

And even though Microsoft is confirmed as the publisher, one must not forget that they also published Ninja Gaiden 2 and the original Mass Effect... yet I own both for the PS3.

floorcat
Member Avatar
Spidercolt
Jun 12 2013, 09:57 AM
If Sony can somehow get Dead Rising 3 and Titanfall on the PS4. I believe they will own Microsoft. Even though they already did.
If not, then DR3 will be near the top of my list of games to get, if/when ever I get an Xbox One. ;)

floorcat
Member Avatar
^Just kind of in-line with the general attitude Microsoft have seem to have taken for this console generation. Basically, if you want to enjoy their products, you must conform to their standards, or you're S.O.L. High on hubris, not humility.

floorcat
Member Avatar
Proof that Microsoft is totally, utterly, completely out of touch with not only their fans, but consumers (and common sense) in general!!

Posted Image
Posted Image

floorcat
Member Avatar
buddy1983
Jun 19 2013, 02:28 PM
looks like microsoft are changing their minds on drm. i hope this is true so i can pre order. its the only real problem i have
Pre-order away, buddy... they've just confirmed it.

I applaud Microsoft for finally pulling their heads out of their arses regarding their approach to many of these policies. The policies themselves weren't all that bad, but their approach was horrid!! (i.e. have DRM instated, but offer games at a cheaper price... require internet connection only for features you wish to use in online-rich games, not for basic functionality, etc.)

They've just significantly reduced the number of hurdles needed to be successful at launch. The damage might have already been done to some (many?). But there's still the $100 price tag difference, and the Kinect requirement...

Do away with Kinect, and offer a subscription-based model for $299, and there may just be a decent competition for this next gen. ;)

(p.s. I'm still going with PS4. But now... I may just pick up a slim Xbone redesign down the road.)

floorcat
Member Avatar
DeeMoney
Jun 19 2013, 05:27 PM
The Red Shadow
Jun 19 2013, 05:22 PM
Soon they shall announce a name change for the console: Xbox One Eighty. 8)
Your a funny guy Red. Sounds like a nice dad joke!! :)
... and it's already been realized in true, prompt, graphical form. :lol:

Posted Image

floorcat
Member Avatar
I'll be honest... I think Dead Rising 3 looks sweet as heck, if the feel of the game is anything like the recent CG trailer:
Spoiler: click to toggle

It's the one game in the announced lineup I'd be most excited for (by a LONG shot) if I was getting the system, without a doubt.

(Infamous: Second Son is doing a pretty good job of distracting me away from DR3, though!) ;)

floorcat
Member Avatar
Any guesses on the Xbox One release date??
November 27th seems like a pretty big possibility... a Tuesday release (just like the 360 had)... and but a few days before the ridiculousness that is Black Friday here in the US, so the buzz will be at its height that week.

floorcat
Member Avatar
Thanks for those notes, Matt... really interesting to hear your thoughts on the new console/games! :yeah:
I was telling my friend yesterday... that of all the new releases coming out for the next gen, I'm probably most excited for Dead Rising 3. Though as you all probably know, I'm going with the PS4 this November, and might quite possibly never own a copy of DR3. Probably has something to do with the whole "grass is greener" thing. :lol:

floorcat
Member Avatar
The practice is certainly nothing new... in ADVERTISING... and (as I'm sure we're all finding out now) is sadly a pretty pervasive/common practice throughout Youtube. However, like Matt said, it's one thing if you see a celebrity endorsing a product, because one can very easily distinguish that the endorsement is essentially a paid advertisement. With Youtube vloggers etc., these are people to whom the masses can often easily relate, and whose opinions are often trusted, so the line between an opinion and an advertisement is very blurred when agreements like this come about. The absolute worst facet of this agreement (and ones like it) with which I have the biggest issue, is the following:
From Section 5 of the XB1M13 agreement of underhanded shadiness

You agree to keep confidential at all times all matters relating to this Agreement, including, without limitation, the Promotional Requirements, and the CPM Compensation, listed above.
Basically, the main intent of this section is to simply deceive viewers into believing a paid advertisement is an honest opinion. And from what I can tell, it seems all parties involved are trying to hide/gloss over this facet of the agreement, even after the recent disclosure. Absolutely abhorrent.

floorcat
Member Avatar
Chatting with my local game shop buddies, they told me how they (as a small independent game shop) were interested in recent promotions our area big-box stores have been starting, such as Target's free $50 gift card with Xbox One console purchase... to take advantage of the (essentially) free money for stocking up on their inventory of Xbox One consoles. Wanting to see if there was a limit to how many gift cards they could rack up through this promo (and in effect, gauge general interest in the console based off of how much Xbox One inventory this Target had), they realized that Xbox One isn't exactly a hot item here... there were like 60+ consoles in stock. PS4, as they'd expected, were not in stock.

If indicative of a widespread/world-wide trend... this, in conjunction with the recent naming of Stephen Elop (former Nokia CEO) as the new head of Microsoft's Devices and Services (including Xbox) division, makes me kind of wonder if Xbox as we know it may cease to exist by this time next year. There have been rumors that Elop might be in favor of scrapping areas of Microsoft (Xbox included) if they don't align totally with their new business strategy. From a recent Bloomberg article...
Quote:

Elop would be prepared to sell or shut down major businesses to sharpen the company's focus, the people said. He would consider ending Microsoft's costly effort to take on Google with its Bing search engine, and would also consider selling healthy businesses such as the Xbox game console if he determined they weren't critical to the company's strategy, the people said.

Earlier this week, investors drove Microsoft shares to their highest price since mid-2000, after Nomura Holdings Inc. analyst Rick Sherlund said the sale of Bing and Xbox, along with other moves, could lift fiscal 2015 earnings by 40 percent.

floorcat
Member Avatar
Totally agree, Dee!! Though to be honest, I highly doubt Xbox is going anywhere... even if it gets sold off, it's still going to be a lucrative business... imagine a Google or Amazon-branded Xbox!! :blink:

floorcat
Member Avatar
I just saw this little tid-bit amidst the news feeds... I think this should make things a little more competitive in this "console war" and I'm glad they're finally listening to feedback. Seems MS will protest, kick, and scream, but in the end they'll finally (do their trademark 180 and) bend to consumers... which is better than not doing so at all. *coughNintendocough*

I've heard that some functions (e.g. "Xbox, record that") are extremely cumbersome to access/navigate to without the Kinect though... hopefully those get ironed out before the sans-Kinect model releases.

I'm a bit too busy with my PS3 backlog to even give some love to my PS4... so any Xbox One purchases likely won't happen in my house until at least halfway into this gen. By then, there should be a nice handful of exclusives to justify a (hopefully marked-down, or X1-slim) purchase.

floorcat
Member Avatar
Oh.... snap.

(Now, now Sony... that's just mean.)
(Yet I still lol'd.)

floorcat
Member Avatar
I think/agree the worst effect of removing Kinect is fragmenting your user-base... esp. from the perspective of the indie developers (tweet from Phil Tibitoski, president of the company that brought us Octodad)... which ultimately affects consumers in general. :-/

DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · Xbox One · Next Topic »
Add Reply