Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
The Xbox One Topic
Topic Started: May 21 2013, 12:13 PM (7,251 Views)
Matt
Member Avatar
Kick, Punch, It's all in the mind
Well now its been annouced, figured I'd start a topic

Complete failure IMO, Shares for Sony are shooting up...
Posted Image
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Matt
Member Avatar
Sports titles, Forza 5

Console will have a (unannounced at this time) used game fee

Always online not true although each game requires mandatory hard drive installation and activation with Xbox LIVE

No backwards compatibility

No gameplay shown

Halo Live TV series announced
Posted Image

Matt
Member Avatar
Grizzmeister
May 21 2013, 02:33 PM
You can thank rampant piracy for many of the features such as on-line software activation on the next-gen consoles. The Kinect being mandatory isn't much different from the motion controls on the original Wii.

What is cool is that the Xbox One will interface with your tablet so that may bode well for the Wii U in the long run in terms of third-party support.

At the end of the day it's going to be about the games because, after all, content is king. :D

Here's a picture of the Xbox One's controller.

Posted Image

Looks like the d-pad is much improved and much more Nintendo like.
This is just going to make piracy become more common, Pirates will just buy the "offline pass" instead, and like all DRM, ends up screwing the consumer
Posted Image

Matt
Member Avatar
Spidercolt
May 21 2013, 04:17 PM
I am getting the Xbox One. They didn't even say anything about backwards compatibility and i think it looks cool. My guess is $400.

Microsoft never said anything about a used game fee either.

Call of Duty Ghosts looks like a launch title.
They have, they announced all these things when asked I'm a Q&A type of panel after the show, or when questioned by a website, most likely trying to get of mentioning it all together

Honestly 8gb RAM and the rest of the specs aren't that impressive to me, My year old PC is more powerful

EDIT:Just saw on Neogaf that the console needs to phone home and be connected to LIVE every 24 hours, and no self publishing.

Unbelievable, how can you mess up this bad?
Edited by Matt, May 21 2013, 10:00 PM.
Posted Image

Matt
Member Avatar
Honestly thinking about it, with this reveal, Consoles don't seem relevant to me anymore, they're just shaping up to be crappy PCs, One of the main benefit of consoles for me was the lack of DRM, and being able to put the game in and play instantly, with that gone and installations mandatory, no backwards compatibility etc, I'm wondering whats the point.

If Platinum Games and Kojima Productions start releasing on PC, I may skip this generation completely
Posted Image

Matt
Member Avatar
The Red Shadow
May 22 2013, 06:55 AM
Valoo
May 21 2013, 11:39 PM
I don't know about you guys, but if any developer ever wants me to buy a new console, it would help if the focus was on games. Not playing movies, not skype, not motion controls, not the shiny parts.

This garbage past 12 years +/- of the gaming industry is on the verge of offensive to me.

We don't even get wired controllers anymore.

I need a new hobby.
Couldn't agree more. Remember when buying a new gaming console meant playing games?
So true, even more so on the wired controller part, one of the major reasons I only use my Wireless 360 controller when I need to control my 360 from my bed (not having wires across the room) is because I prefer wires, last thing I want is my controller dying in the middle of playing a game, even moreso in multiplayer
Posted Image

Matt
Member Avatar
It costs $166 more in the UK than it does in America, with that price, there is only one place MS can put their console
Posted Image

Matt
Member Avatar
Spidercolt
Jun 10 2013, 12:19 PM
It's also $100 to preorder it which is crazy! What time is Sony's conference?
All times are here
http://www.e3insider.com/press-conferences/

Considering it costs $666 here, add in $60 xbox live and a few games, whats the point?

I also loled at Halo 3 for free, its from 2007 for gods sake!

Meanwhile, Sony just added Uncharted 3. XCOM and LittleBigPlanet Racing to PS+
Posted Image

Matt
Member Avatar
Killer Instinct is confirmed F2P,, this is just getting worse
Posted Image

Matt
Member Avatar
http://www.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/pre-order-xbox-one/disclaimer

This is just keeps getting worse and worse doesn't it? (Note the 21 countries)
Posted Image

Matt
Member Avatar
Honestly, I'm amazed they have any customers left if thats the way they treat them
Posted Image

Matt
Member Avatar
"If you need us later on"

After everyone is already invested into another platform?

Let me know how that works out for you
Posted Image

Matt
Member Avatar
I find that crazy, Why can't companies not just ban the Steam way?

(You get banned from that games multiplayer, and a cheater mark on your profile, other games and SP is fine)

The idea of locking someone out of their entire collection because of them cheating or even using offensive language is just insane
Posted Image

Matt
Member Avatar
Nuno
Jun 15 2013, 10:24 AM
Whoa...Scumbag microsoft!

So, if your account gets hacked by a stranger (and banned)... you lose all the games you payed for? (at least until everything is back to normal, I can imagine a month or more)
You got it, and hacking accounts is so simple on that service too, there is a video on youtube where a guy hacks a MS employee just by calling support and resetting the password, plus imagine if an incident like the PSN hack happens? Every Xbox One player will lose access to their entire library
Posted Image

Matt
Member Avatar
Nuno
Jun 15 2013, 11:32 AM
Matt
Jun 15 2013, 11:01 AM
Nuno
Jun 15 2013, 10:24 AM
Whoa...Scumbag microsoft!

So, if your account gets hacked by a stranger (and banned)... you lose all the games you payed for? (at least until everything is back to normal, I can imagine a month or more)
You got it, and hacking accounts is so simple on that service too, there is a video on youtube where a guy hacks a MS employee just by calling support and resetting the password, plus imagine if an incident like the PSN hack happens? Every Xbox One player will lose access to their entire library
Well, apparently they know what they're doing but seems like MS is playing with fire...
I honestly hope something similar to the PSN incident happens, it seems to be the only way MS will even hint at changing their policies
Posted Image

Matt
Member Avatar
The Red Shadow
Jun 17 2013, 05:23 PM
Just wait until those consoles start getting hooked up by little kids and unaware casuals at the end of the year and nothing works because they aren't hooked up online.

Actually, I don't really want to be around when that happens. I can only imagine how many Xbox Ones I'll be seeing coming back at Walmart this coming Christmas season. :facepalm:
Just imagine what its going to be like on a major game launch when the servers can't cope.
Posted Image

Matt
Member Avatar
The Red Shadow
Jun 17 2013, 05:40 PM
Yeah, and its always worse at a big box retailer like Walmart because the average customer thinks we know everything there is to know about the stuff we sell but it just doesn't work that way. I try to learn as much as I can about the things that interest me but that can only go so far. We don't get trained at all about most of the products we sell. We are more than likely going to get hammered for awhile by customers who don't know what they're getting into with these new consoles. Oh boy...
Could you not post a notice or something saying that it requires an internet connection or would that be against policy?
Posted Image

Matt
Member Avatar
I'm gonna wait until a year or so... Never know if they'll backpedal again
Posted Image

Matt
Member Avatar
The Red Shadow
Jun 19 2013, 05:41 PM
One thing I'm finding interesting in the response to this news is that it is, surprisingly, almost all negative. On Kotaku and Gizmodo there were more people AGAINST this change than for. Its always the negative people speaking up nowadays. Its so bizarre. :eh:
The vast majority of people against i've seen are popular sites.... that get games for free.
Posted Image

Matt
Member Avatar
buddy1983
Jun 20 2013, 03:15 AM
I'm happy enough, shame they didnt see this coming though and prevent all this stupidness. The only problem i may have now is the kinect, my room is small with a double bed and cot taking up most of the room. I defiantly can't stand up and waves my arms and legs around lol. Anyone know if there is a certain amount of room needed, I know the original kinect did but what about this one?

Edit:
Just preordered one - If my room is too small then it can go in the living room and my wife will have to watch emmerdale in the bedroom :dance:
According to this http://www.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/pre-order-xbox-one/disclaimer it needs 4.7 foot at minimum

If you aren't sure about space, I suggest waiting until launch and seeing if games are actually using it
Posted Image

Matt
Member Avatar
Well...

Looks like Microsoft are shutting down GFWL on PC, I'm personally losing 39 games if its true.

And people wonder why I was against the Xbox's DRM
Posted Image

Matt
Member Avatar
buddy1983
Aug 20 2013, 02:06 AM
@@Matt, that sucks if it means you lose all those games. I have never used GFWL so dont know how it works. THIS is the mean reason I am against digital only releases, not just with games but with music and films too. I want to buy my game or cd and own it. I want to hold it and know that in 20 years time as long as I have the tech which will play it I still can. Digital only sucks in my opinion. :bowser:
Yeah, the way it works is you sign into Xbox Live to play and activate the game, but when you can't make that connection you can't play, I couldn't play GTA earlier when I had issues connecting

What a joke
Posted Image

Matt
Member Avatar
buddy1983
Aug 20 2013, 08:45 AM
there is talk of the service either being replaced or some other company taking on the games service in some form. There must be a way, if they want dowenload only games then surely this will just prove it doesnt work
All I've heard is there is a chance it could be removed from Batman, and Bioshock 2 and replaced with Steam

Still leaves us in the cold about stuff like Dark Souls and GTA IV, and stuff like Red Faction is doomed since there is no studio left to take care of it
Posted Image

Matt
Member Avatar
I'd say the public knows about the DRM, heck, I even seen a few articles about it in newspapers.
Posted Image

Matt
Member Avatar
So, this weekend I'll be spending some time with the Xbox One, would there be any interest in a write up of my experience?

I'll Have access to Ryse, Dead Rising 3, Killer Instinct and Forza 5 if anyone wants to see anything specific
Posted Image

Matt
Member Avatar
Grizzmeister
Oct 17 2013, 02:00 PM
Matt
Oct 17 2013, 10:01 AM
So, this weekend I'll be spending some time with the Xbox One, would there be any interest in a write up of my experience?

I'll Have access to Ryse, Dead Rising 3, Killer Instinct and Forza 5 if anyone wants to see anything specific
I'd like to get your impressions of Killer Instinct. Hopefully you'll get to play it with an arcade stick instead of just the standard controller.
I have no idea what i'd be using controller wise, but I expect it would be a excuse to test the d-pad at least.

I've never been a huge fan of killer instinct, so i'll be going in mostly fresh without any experience of older titles
Posted Image

Matt
Member Avatar
DeeMoney
Oct 17 2013, 02:48 PM
How is this possible Matt?? Is there a story behind why your getting to have a play with it before launch??

I'd be keen to read some impressions of the system mate. :yeah:
Event.

I'll most likely be making notes as i'll play, and i'll try get a complete write up, not sure how long it will take with university and stuff.

Posted Image

Matt
Member Avatar
Some quick impressions since its 11 at night, and still have to get ready for class in the morning (Gotta leave at 6!)

Controller
Controller is alot better than the existing 360 controller, although I still prefer the Dual Shock, the d-pad, while better, is still not as good as the dpad on Nintendo and Sony's most recent offerings (with the Vita having the best d-pad in recent times IMO)
The controller otherwise feels fine, albeit a bit plastic for my tastes, one complaint I have is the shoulder buttons, which have to be pressed close to the edge, as the button ends where the controller curves, this may be a issue or not be depending where you normally hold a controller, but for me, it was a huge issue and took some of the enjoyment away from the game

Forza

No experience with previous titles in this series, visually, the game looked pretty good, although it seems there is a complete lack of any anti aliasing, leaving the game appear very jaggy, however, the car controlled well enough, and it was the only game to utilise the vibrational triggers on the controller, which while it feels nice, feels like a novelty which I imagine would wear off quick

Killer Instinct

Better than I was expecting, although I'd still take titles such as SFFIVAE and MvC3 over it, gameplay kept a very steady 60fps, although the game ran at 720p, leaving the image looking blurred, this is due to the visual effects in the game, which while looking nice can be extremely distracting, I also felt that characters were unbalanced, in which I definitely felt like at some points the other player had a upper hand, such as with Glacier's ranged ice attacks

Ryse

This was most likely my biggest surprise, I was playing in (what I assume in the final build I'll be) a two player Xbox Live co-op mode, it was a lot of fun, and gameplay seemed a lot deeper than what previous gameplay (for example, the E3 demo) let off, however, visually, the game was upscaled to 1080p from 900p and did leave a blurred image, albeit not enough to notice from a distance. The games framerate dipped during intro sequences, and I felt there was a bit of desync going on (for example, hearing my partners TV next to me, their dialog played after mine

The game was also unstable, and bugged out a few times, from the Xbox One Dashboard, the build was two month old

Dead Rising 3

If you lose Dead Rising, you'll love this, it plays very similar to Dead Rising (although I never had extended play of course, so unsure if the combo aspects of the second come into play), the game ran generally smoothly at 30fps, however I did easily manage to get the framerate to dip by simply rotating the camera towards the player model while using a weapon like the flamethrower, overall a lot of fun though, and behind Ryse for my favourite game I played

I tried to cover as many things as possible, but if anyone has any questions I'll try to answer them
Posted Image

Matt
Member Avatar
DeeMoney
Oct 20 2013, 05:08 PM
Nice Matt, thanks for sharing your impressions. From what you have just said, it seems that there isn't really anything that is super impressive and life changing. I guess we'll have to see what the finished product is going to be like.
Yeah, it felt rushed to some degree, although I like it a lot more than i thought I was gonna.

One thing to keep in mind is I'm seeing everything from a PC gaming perspective, and own a PC that can run games maxed at 1440p most of the time, I think I'd be more impressed if I did come from a current gen console
Posted Image

Matt
Member Avatar
I just saw this thread over on Neogaf (http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=701269)
More specifically this image
Posted Image

As you can see, everything in the red, is not able to pressed and the bumper won't respond, this is where my finger naturally rested though, and trying to move it to the green press zone felt uncomfortable.

Dead Rising 3 was fun, and a title i'll eventually pick up, assuming it will get ported to over platforms some day or i'll pick up a xbox one, although the controller made me delay my need for one
Posted Image

Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Xbox One · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: