Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
The Xbox One Topic
Topic Started: May 21 2013, 12:13 PM (7,539 Views)
Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
I'm psyched! :w00t:

When the technology is discussed I'm again reminded that we live in exponential times. Consider that the new Kinect will even be able to detect your heart rate! :o
"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." - Arthur Schopenhauer

Posted Image
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
justinwebb
May 21 2013, 01:01 PM
Sucks for all those suckers who bought games for the 360 now they have to buy them again for the new system.
As consoles progress at this exponential rate you won't expect any of them to be backwards compatible. Why would you want them to be when the new gameplay possibilities are so exciting?

Not just that but if you want to play older games you're generally given that opportunity via emulation. Granted the emerging trends do seem bad for collectors in some ways though. :unsure:
"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." - Arthur Schopenhauer

Posted Image

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
You can thank rampant piracy for many of the features such as on-line software activation on the next-gen consoles. The Kinect being mandatory isn't much different from the motion controls on the original Wii.

What is cool is that the Xbox One will interface with your tablet so that may bode well for the Wii U in the long run in terms of third-party support.

At the end of the day it's going to be about the games because, after all, content is king. :D

Here's a picture of the Xbox One's controller.

Posted Image

Looks like the d-pad is much improved and much more Nintendo like.

Posted Image

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
Nowadays I don't buy new consoles at launch but rather I wait and see which one has the exclusives that I most enjoy. I know that the Wii U will inevitably get Mario Kart and Super Smash Bros. with a possibility of F-Zero or Wave Race so I'm sure somewhere down the line I'll pick one up.

The Xbox One while technically impressive probably won't convince me to make a purchase until some really revolutionary software is released. The specs are indeed impressive as the 8GB of DDR3 RAM should make for some huge worlds to play in. For you tech geeks; yeah the PS4 is more impressive as it'll use cutting edge GDDR5 RAM which makes me wonder how that'll affect the console's overall price.

Posted Image

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
I like what I'm seeing about the Xbox One so far but then again I'm very happy with my 360.

More than likely I'll end up with a Xbox One and Wii U in the next console generation which should provide me access to all the content I'll need.

The PS4 could prove to be a nice machine too so I'll wait to see it before making a decision.

Posted Image

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
Of course your Xbox One will have to be on-line at least once a day cuz how else can it report to Microsoft what the Kinect observed you doing. :lol:

Here's a funny video about Kinect on the Xbox 360.

X-Play Comedy: Kinect and Adam Sessler

Posted Image

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
Don't forget that Kinect will also recognize voice commands and even from multiple users. It's a brave new world in gaming, folks.

Oh, they're saying that the Xbox One controller even has force feedback built in to the triggers. :huh: I'm pretty ambivalent about consoles for the most part but I generally feel that the Xbox controller is better than the dual shock. Can't wait to get my grubby mitts on both.

Posted Image

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
I too find the "Xbox One" name to be a bit odd. I thought Xbox Infinity sounded neat and lent itself well to a cool logo of an X over a sideways 8.

Now I find myself VERY interested in seeing the actual PS4 hardware! E3 can't come soon enough for me.

In case anyone missed it, Target has dropped the price of the 8GB Wii U by 20%. :blink:

Posted Image

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
I want to play Killer Instinct so bad but I just can't justify purchasing a Xbox One with all this negative information coming to light. :facepalm:

Posted Image

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
Spidercolt
Jun 15 2013, 05:22 PM
Grizzmeister
Jun 15 2013, 05:04 PM
I want to play Killer Instinct so bad but I just can't justify purchasing a Xbox One with all this negative information coming to light. :facepalm:
It's not like you could just borrow the disk either. Killer instinct will be a download Day One off the marketplace. And you only get 1 character. I can't remember who it was. And you have to purchase the rest. Then again.... You can't borrow disks anyways. :P
The free character is going to be Jago who was featured prominently at E3. Sabrewulf was also playable there too and Glacius was revealed. We're hearing that another character will be shown at this year's EVO fighting game tournament to be held in July. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the next character to be announced is Spinal. :D

I really like my Xbox 360 but the One is starting off on the wrong foot in my humble opinion. Looks like I'll be going with the PS4 + Wii U combo.

Posted Image

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
CoachLuke22
Jun 16 2013, 12:20 AM
Grizzmeister
Jun 15 2013, 05:35 PM
I really like my Xbox 360 but the One is starting off on the wrong foot in my humble opinion. Looks like I'll be going with the PS4 + Wii U combo.

I completely agree with this statement. And I believe many others do as well...
It's a shame that Microsoft is shooting themselves in the foot because the particle effects of the fireballs in Killer Instinct are truly amazing and show that the Xbox One has serious potential in the right developer's hands. :-/

Posted Image

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
Now that its come to light that Microsoft is working with the NSA to spy on innocent Americans I can't in good conscience buy the Xbox One. Real shame too because I'm a huge fan of Killer Instinct Gold on the N64 so I was really looking forward to playing the new KI. :(

Posted Image

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
If Microsoft stops consorting with the NSA, ditches the spy cam and drops the price of the Xbox One by $100 I may reconsider but at this point their new console is dead to me. :angry:

Posted Image

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
The Kinect is something I have no interest in so I don't feel comfortable paying an extra 100 bones for it. Besides, the whole notion is creepy as demonstrated by this video featuring video game celebrity Adam Sessler. :P

Posted Image

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
The Kinect Dilemma
It isn't just the fact that Microsoft has betrayed the public trust and consorted with the reckless National Security Agency (NSA) to spy on millions of innocent Americans; it's also the possibility that somebody else will hack in to Kinect and abuse it the way journalists working at News of the World in the UK did with cell phones.

I'm just not comfortable with somebody, be it a government employee or otherwise, using the Kinect spy cam to surveil me and my family. For all we know some perverted government employee will use the technology to pleasure himself while watching our girlfriends, wives or daughters and that's beyond creepy to me. :-/

Posted Image

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
Xbox One Will Watch You Watching It :-/

Quote:

The Xbox One may suck quite a bit less now that the company has backed off restrictive DRM, but the console may still raise the bar for annoying snoopvertising. If you recall, Microsoft was one of several companies to patent the idea of using set-top device embedded cameras to watch people in living rooms, then use that data for targeted advertising purposes. A Technical Account Manager for Xbox LIVE Advertising tells StickTwiddlers.com the Xbox One takes ads to a whole new level, and the dashboard was designed specifically with targeted advertising in mind:

Kinect could detect how many users are in the room and could serve advertisements aimed at families, groups, or individuals. Additional information from your Xbox LIVE account could also influence these by using metrics such as your gender, age, location, media habits and more, and Microsoft are very aware of the potential around this.

The ad exec proceeds to insist that Microsoft doesn't yet receive all of the biometric data collected by the Kinect sensor (like heart rate and current mood), but with consumer protections on this front being virtually nonexistent -- it seems like only a matter of time before your Xbox One starts selling you antidepressants and ice cream when you're down.

At this point you couldn't give me an Xbox One for free. :nope:

Posted Image

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
Matt
Oct 17 2013, 10:01 AM
So, this weekend I'll be spending some time with the Xbox One, would there be any interest in a write up of my experience?

I'll Have access to Ryse, Dead Rising 3, Killer Instinct and Forza 5 if anyone wants to see anything specific
I'd like to get your impressions of Killer Instinct. Hopefully you'll get to play it with an arcade stick instead of just the standard controller.

Posted Image

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
My friend who works at Gamestop told me that he's hearing talk of an early price cut on the Xbox One so he's telling his closest friends who are interested in the console to wait until early 2014 before picking one up. Don't tell too many people about this as I don't want to get my friend in trouble.

Posted Image

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
Nuno
Oct 18 2013, 11:13 AM
You realize you just wrote that on an open forum, right? :)
Yeah but this site is off the beaten path enough that mostly we're just a bunch of close friends. It's not like I posted up the disclosure at Gamefaqs or something. :lol:

Posted Image

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
Buddy, have you tried putting the Xbox One in your router's Demilitarized Zone (DMZ)?

I always keep my Xbox 360 in my D-Link router's DMZ to negate any NAT issues.

Posted Image

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
Report: Machinima Paying YouTubers for Positive Xbox One Coverage

Quote:

Machinima has reportedly offered YouTube influencers financial bonuses for promoting the Xbox One, as long as the details of said promotional agreement were kept confidential, according to Ars Technica.

The promotion, outlined in what appear to be leaked emails to popular Machinima personalities and a since deleted Tweet from Machinima's UK community manager, offered video content producers an additional $3 CPM ($3 per thousand video views) for posting videos including at least 30 seconds of Xbox One gameplay footage in the first two minutes, and a verbal mention that the console was being played. It was also stipulated that producers tag their videos 'XB1M13' and post between 3 AM ET, January 13 and 2:59 AM ET, February 10 to be eligible for payment.

To worsen what appears to be an already questionable situation, an alleged leaked copy of the promotion's terms and conditions obtained by Ars Technica specified that content creators were not to say "anything negative or disparaging about Machinima, Xbox One, or any of its games," nor were they to mention their involvement in the agreement.
Source

Posted Image

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
Matt
Jan 21 2014, 05:27 PM
Grizzmeister
Jan 21 2014, 05:21 PM
Report: Machinima Paying YouTubers for Positive Xbox One Coverage
Saw this as it all kicked off on NeoGAF, Absolutely disgusting by both parties, People are defending it by saying you get celebrity endorsements etc, but the way I see, you tend to value youtube uploaders opinions more because you do tend to see them on a more equal footing or so than say, a celebrity
This looks really bad as it appears opinion leaders are being paid to surreptitiously promote the Xbox One. <_<

Posted Image

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
Everything about Microsoft's business practices just seem so dirty as of late. It doesn't appear like the company has any respect for their customers.

I've never hidden my distaste for the Xbox One and its Kinect peripheral but this recent Machinima scandal is a new low that I even I find shocking. :-/

Many people talk about how the Wii U is in trouble but to my mind the Xbox One is the console that's on shaky ground.
Edited by Grizzmeister, Jan 22 2014, 10:55 AM.

Posted Image

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
floorcat
Jan 22 2014, 11:06 AM
From Section 5 of the XB1M13 agreement of underhanded shadiness

You agree to keep confidential at all times all matters relating to this Agreement, including, without limitation, the Promotional Requirements, and the CPM Compensation, listed above.
Basically, the main intent of this section is to simply deceive viewers into believing a paid advertisement is an honest opinion. And from what I can tell, it seems all parties involved are trying to hide/gloss over this facet of the agreement, even after the recent disclosure. Absolutely abhorrent.
It's disgusting! It'd be like finding out that Lithium is being paid to advertise in his wonderful and influential YT videos without disclosing the fact. Thankfully he and finngamer have too much integrity to involve themselves in such behavior just to turn a few quick bucks.

Posted Image

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
buddy1983
May 13 2014, 09:41 AM
What do you guys think, does it make it more attractive to those that didn't plan on buying a ONE? Should us early adopters be annoyed?
Microsoft could offer me a night with Nina Dobrev and a free T-bone steak and I still wouldn't be interested in the Xbox One. This gen it's all PS4 and Wii U for me. ^_^

Posted Image

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
In my opinion, getting rid of the Kinect shows that Microsoft is in total disarray and doesn't really know what direction they want to take with the Xbox One. Right now it's just a fatter and weaker PS4 except its fanbase's confidence has been severely shaken. Worse yet, early adopters who paid full price feel like they've been screwed.

I suspect Microsoft heard the buzz surrounding Mario Kart 8 and realized they better do something quick before a weaker console like the Wii U completely destroys the ill-conceived XB1.

Posted Image

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
I never buy consoles at launch anymore. I learned my lesson with the PS2 that while even though it was a great console, didn't have any really compelling software until Gran Turismo 3 came out.

Microsoft is a train wreck right now. Windows 8 is a disaster and the Xbox One looks like a rudderless ship.

Posted Image

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
It appears that Microsoft squandered precious time with the bone-headed Kinect 2.0 experiment. If something truly spectacular isn't shown for the Xbox One at E3 then the console is for all intents and purposes dead. Sony has built a near insurmountable lead with the PS4 and the Wii U is just about to hit its stride with a couple of it's most revered franchises. The XB1 needed to hit the ground running but instead it tripped over its own feet.

Posted Image

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
DeeMoney
May 14 2014, 03:07 PM
I think the Xbox One will be fine. To say it's going to be dead soon, is just plain madness.
Remember when people said it was madness to think that Microsoft would drop the Kinect 2.0 peripheral for the Xbox One? "It's what makes the console unique", they always said.

If MS is going to drop the price of the XB1 they should at least go lower than the PS4. $379 US makes more sense to really distinguish it from the competition.

Posted Image

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
Grizzmeister
Oct 18 2013, 10:39 AM
My friend who works at Gamestop told me that he's hearing talk of an early price cut on the Xbox One so he's telling his closest friends who are interested in the console to wait until early 2014 before picking one up. Don't tell too many people about this as I don't want to get my friend in trouble.
Don't waste your time with the big name gaming sites, folks, because N64 Forever is the place that tells you what's really going to happen before it happens. ;)

Posted Image

Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Xbox One · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: