Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
N64Forever Beats 'Em All!; Let's Finish What the 2012-13 N64 Game-Off Started!
Topic Started: Jul 5 2013, 09:43 AM (27,128 Views)
MymeeN64
Member Avatar
So ive been putting off bass hunters... my bad. If someone wants to beat it before me, dont let me stop you. Ill still work on it though! :yeah:
"Mom, can I play pretendo?" -Nathan, age 4 :wub:

Posted Image
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Shellshocker18
Member Avatar
The Shockmaster
Just remember, patience is key. Or electrocute the water but I doubt the game let's you cheat like that. I'm sure if no one has beaten the game in 6 years that no one will mind if you take your time on it. Keep on troopin :yeah:

How is the game? Long? Easy? Hard? Relaxing? Mind numbing? I may play it later this year so I'd like to know what the game entails. Any pro tips you've discovered would be cool to hear as well.
Edited by Shellshocker18, Feb 26 2017, 02:08 AM.
Posted Image
Posted Image I only partially like some of you
Posted Image The award I will forever be most proud of

italia64
Member Avatar
Veteran
@Bdr, please when you update the topic, remember to update even my Wipeout 64 achievement description with all golds awarded.
I'm going to work on Madden games soon ;-)
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image

Shellshocker18
Member Avatar
The Shockmaster
I haven't beaten anything on the list lately but I did finish a Japanese exclusive that isn't on the list. Bomberman 64 which was the final game released in Japan and the final exclusive game released for our beloved console only succeeded by Tony Hawk 3. With this I have now beaten all the Bomberman games on this console too

Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

The regular Classic mode has 49 stages which I thought was a bit fishy. 49 is the grossest number I can think of. You move up or down based on which door you use to exit the level so you have to play at least 8 times to beat all the boss stages at the end of each path. So after beating all stages you do get a final boss fight. I've been busy with Persona 5 so I played this game in small bursts when I had free time. It took about a week and probably 5-6 hours to beat all the paths. It took the n64 a long time to get a traditional 2d Bomberman game but at least it got one in the end. Like literally the very end.
Edited by Shellshocker18, Apr 12 2017, 12:52 AM.
Posted Image

Shellshocker18
Member Avatar
The Shockmaster
As an add on to my last post, I have also completed Bomberman Park mode by collecting all 30 medals

Basically Bomberman Park mode is a collection of minigames you can play by walking around a theme park. There are only 14 minigames but there are 30 medals total as most minigames have a harder version further into the park and some npc's will give you a medal for talking to them or doing some extremely easy side quest of talking to someone else. If you fail a game 10 times the game will actually ask if you just want it to give you the medal for showing "extraordinary effort". There are some new pieces which change the looks of the blocks in the puzzle modes and 2 multiplayer maps which can only be unlocked by talking to special npc's in the park or completing the mode 100%.

Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image

There is no footage of this game anywhere and no online guides so many people probably don't know what kind of minigames these are. I wish I could have captured footage of it all but there is truly nothing special here as most of these are on the level of Atari 2600 or original Gameboy games but with even less depth since there aren't multiple stages or power ups in any of the games. It's interesting to see something like this on Nintendo 64 but I think a lot of people could find these boring.

There are some 3x3 and 4x4 sliding block puzzles, a game of snake, a game where you jump across logs on a river to grab money, one where you have to memorize a picture then put the pieces back in the right place, one where you drop bombs on submarines, a weak super buster brothers clone, one where you dodge cars on a road like Ghostbusters on nes, one where you must direct bombs on conveyor belts to the right receptacle, one where you open and shut doors with the A&B buttons to get passed enemies, one where you have to pick the right pipe after they shuffle around, one where you use a power meter to hit blocks stacked on top of each other, one where you use fuel to boost around and rescue people, one where you tap A to shoot as fast as possible, and one where you have to slice high and low objects being thrown at you while ducking under bombs.
Edited by Shellshocker18, Apr 23 2017, 12:30 AM.
Posted Image

Shellshocker18
Member Avatar
The Shockmaster
I thought Fire Electric Pen was supposed to be hard :yawn:

Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

Okay for real though this game is brutal with how much precision it takes. The final level took me from 10:00 A.M to to 2:45 P.M to finish, and after that I still got a silver crown which sucks. I used the gold pen which means you only have 1 life. I did that thinking something would happen if I beat every level with it, I mean it's made of freaking gold and I thought that was the reason I was getting gold medals but apparently that was just coincidence and the medals seem to be time challenges. People say this game has only 6 levels and I'm afraid there may be more you can only get if you get all gold medals. Then again I can't find any evidence anywhere of anymore levels so... I guess I beat it. If you try to play his game for fun use the red pen. It gives you 3 lives which makes the game way easier. There are 2 other pens and I still don't know what the difference is between them.

Posted Image Proof of ID

Posted Image

This was one of the times I wiped out just before the end of the last level. This happend three freaking times. So this was a game show right? Do I win any money

Also if anyone ever needs help with the final level just ask. I'm an expert at it now. I could aim for a gold medal but I don't want to lose my sanity. Not today
Edited by Shellshocker18, Apr 19 2017, 02:06 PM.
Posted Image

No64DD
Member Avatar
Neva wizard Kee
:omg:
:o
:blink:
;_;
:eh:

I am in utter shock right now!!
I've been on the last level for 3 years.

When this game came out, there was a contest that ran for a few months for owners to send in proof that they beat all six levels. You would win some kind of wierd gift card. (coupons)
I really don't think there were more levels, but i am astonished to see you get 5/6 gold crowns!!
I bow to the master.

Son of a $%&#! :facepalm: X_D
Edited by No64DD, Apr 19 2017, 05:12 PM.
A Secret star
lie here~

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Shellshocker18
Member Avatar
The Shockmaster
I saw your old posts when you were playing the game and figured this would surprise you. Interesting that there was a contest for this game. If only I was born a bit earlier I could have gotten some free pizza :lol:

I'm not even saying this to brag but really, is may be one of the least beaten n64 games of them all. I've played plenty of hard games but his one is particularly infamous for it. This is gonna be something I mention every time Fire Electric Pen comes up, just like my MISCHIEF MAKERS S RANKS. Maybe I should change my username to I Beat Fire Electric Pen now that I've made a name for myself...

Also that silver crown is gonna kill me forever, but for now I must rest
Edited by Shellshocker18, Apr 19 2017, 02:05 PM.
Posted Image

No64DD
Member Avatar
Neva wizard Kee
Amazing. It looks like you were born around the same time that this game came out!
You set the best times i have ever seen!! You also did better than the japanese players that made screenshots for inside the manual!

I found this video that people need to watch because i really don't think ANYONE truly understands how hard this game really is!
Insane!!

Level 6

The gold wand is the fastest.

Edited by No64DD, Apr 19 2017, 02:44 PM.
A Secret star
lie here~

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Shellshocker18
Member Avatar
The Shockmaster
I'm not surprised my times are good considering I was apparently using the speedy gold pen though you rarely have opportunities to go full speed on the final stage, That video you posted of level 6, I got a way better time than that person for a couple reasons. The person playing takes the long way around the wheel at the beginning. If you just go forward you can get through that Wheel in like 2 seconds.

Also the final room with the gears and pillars, the rotation of the gear depends on how fast you cleared the other room. If you don't do it very fast and make it to the gear on time you will get stuck having to wait for the gear opening for like 30 seconds, since the bouncing pillars will usually block you. Those little timing are so hard and require to play so fast that you would need a computer to be able to get perfect times. The first 4 levels really only took me a couple tries since there are no moving obstacles. I'd go as far as saying the last level is the only hard one in the game, but boy it is hard.
Edited by Shellshocker18, Apr 19 2017, 03:12 PM.
Posted Image

No64DD
Member Avatar
Neva wizard Kee
I need to revisit this game now that i have SteelSticks 64.
A Secret star
lie here~

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Shellshocker18
Member Avatar
The Shockmaster
Wow I bet that would be very interesting. Fire Electric Pen is a great game to test the difference since you have to be so light with the stick. I'm lucky I have a perfectly tight Grape Purple controller. Playing with anything less than a perfect analog stick would be impossible.
Posted Image

No64DD
Member Avatar
Neva wizard Kee
Funny enough, i got my first gold crown on level 1 using the Horipad mini.
I never made it to the second final section of Level 6, but if i do, i really think i would have a chance!
A Secret star
lie here~

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Shellshocker18
Member Avatar
The Shockmaster
I assume you can figure how to dodge the girls hands and breasts. The hard part, aside from not letting the analog stick slip, is those pieces of wall that are moving up and down at the top. The way I did it was to move into them as they are moving upward and exit them as the move downward. Once they go down the pieces of track actually get closer together so you want to exit almost as soon as they start moving down. I found that to be the easiest way past those. Otherwise it's just lots and lots of trial and error. The second room is quite hard to get used to since you have to do the first room first, plus how fast you get through the first room effects the gear in the second room. Thankfully there is a checkpoint at the start of the second room but it's hard to time your start so that you make it to the gear when it's open. Otherwise it just eats your time up bad, and there is a thin stretch at the end where you need time to be careful. I think I finished with less then 20 seconds left.

It's hard to explain through text but really perseverance is key to these things because you'll find yourself getting better and better. I hope you can win if you decide to try again. It's a good game to say "yeah I beat that"
Edited by Shellshocker18, Apr 19 2017, 04:08 PM.
Posted Image

No64DD
Member Avatar
Neva wizard Kee
It's honestly just like the show!
I'm going to keep you posted on my progress.
I'd also like to see you get 6/6!
Definitely a game worth bragging about. Congratulations!
Edited by No64DD, Apr 19 2017, 04:16 PM.
A Secret star
lie here~

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Shellshocker18
Member Avatar
The Shockmaster
I accidently sent a pm but forgot to go to my pm. >_<
Edited by Shellshocker18, May 1 2017, 04:08 PM.
Posted Image

Shellshocker18
Member Avatar
The Shockmaster
Not to keep harping on about Fire Electric Pen but I found this footage of a guy(the second guy) completing the final stage of the real thing complete with the boob lady and the gears. Nice to see the courses in the game were real, even the easier ones from what I've seen in other videos.

I've found out some cool stuff about the game thanks No64DD mainly that from the release date December 19th, 1997 through January 31st, 1998 if you sent away proof of completing all the courses up to 100 winners would receive 1 million yen worth of "Toy Tickets' from a company called Toy Card Co. Ltd. 1 Million yen according to google translates to about $8,870 in US dollars. Each winner got a 10,000 yen ticket. Danilochka even found the Japanese website with the competition page and a list of the winners! I'm finding he is very good at tracking down old urls

https://web-beta.archive.org/web/19980525072538/http://www.hudson.co.jp:80/new/iraira/tousen.html

Posted Image

Toy Card even still exists today with the same logo and still give out these gift cards which is neat.
http://toycard.co.jp/
The logo reminds me of the Genki Logo which you can see in my signature.
Edited by Shellshocker18, May 8 2017, 06:22 AM.
Posted Image

Shellshocker18
Member Avatar
The Shockmaster
It's been a while but I've got another Japanese game, Tamagotchi 64: Minna de Tamagotchi World, which took me 2 hours to finish a game against 3 cpu's, then I played a game with my cousin which only took 45 minutes

Posted Image

There are 59 Tamagotchi to earn at the end of the game. This was the one I got.
Posted Image

I want to save my brain power for the coverage I'm going to give is game for the N-Cyclopedia 64, but this was a board game made by Hudson that has 4 player minigames released a year before the original Mario Party. It clearly was the inspiration and Nintendo wanted Hudson to make a similar game for them. This game is much more like a board game though.

Minigames are 1 of the many spaces on the board and you can go like 30 minutes without Landing on one. There are only 10 minigames so Mario Party definitely took that concept much further. It's got really nice 2d visuals and the Tamagotchi gameplay is integrated into board game form as the goal is to be the first to fully evolve your Tamagotchi or be the last one to not die. Evolving happens by earning transformation points by landing on certain spaces. There are powerups cards which have different effects on other players, each turn you roll or use a magic card, and then you basically have a choice to feed them, clean their crap so they don't get sick which lowers the roll of the dice, discipline them by punching them so they listen to you, or play with them in a 50-50 guessing game which can net or lose transformation points, but any action costs energy. Going around the board and reaching the GO space again will increase the energy kind of like Monopoly Money.

There is a lot more to it that I will get into later but it's a pretty easy game to say I finished. As a board game it's fine but I think the lack of minigames mean it can get repetitive for people faster than Mario Party, but it's influence is really fascinating. There is some voice acting cutscenes and a tutorial with a vocal musical, some of the soundtrack even got a CD.
Edited by Shellshocker18, Jul 15 2017, 12:31 PM.
Posted Image

Shellshocker18
Member Avatar
The Shockmaster
Hey bluedogrulez! Can you update the post? I've beaten 10 games since the last update this is getting out of hand, 11 if you count Midway Arcade Classics which I don't have any proof of. If any of you want to know how dedicated I am to the N-Cyclopedia 64 reviews know that I learned Hanafuda in order to review a game nobody cares about to ensure the game gets the best English coverage possible.

In my ongoing Japanese efforts, I have completed the story mode of 64 Hanafuda Tenshi no Yakusoku, the most obscure and pointless game I've ever completed by a long shot.

Here is footage of the very end of my last game against this old guy, which was the 9th stage which only took 2 tries, stage 8 was actually way harder and took like 5 hours. The whole game took maybe 8 hours but probably a lot more than that since I had to learn how the game is actually played.

Yes there is no sound I forgot to turn it on because usually I'm only recording for screenshots. The music isn't great

The game has 3 different Hanafuda games, Koi-Koi, Hachi-Hachi (88), and another I haven't figured out the exact name of yet. Hanafuda gameplay and rulesets are insanely obscure to find online for most of the different games. Point is in story mode you play all of them with the settings becoming harder on later chapters.

He story is ridiculous. An 18 year old named Ryuji comes to town looking for and old girl friend of his from 13 years ago who wanted to meet up, in a field. Thing is he doesn't know where the field is and in the process of trying to find it he runs into the zombie population of this town who solves all their problems with Hanafuda. Seriously there is a police officer who won't give him a map unless he beats him at Hanafuda, then he ends up not even giving Ryuji a map anyway, what a jackass.

Afterwards beating it once you can do the whole story again with the girl, and from what I can tell it's all the same opponents with the same settings just with slightly different dialogue, I consider it beaten as most people never make it past the first stage as proven by the N64 Anthlogy and all other English coverage of the game.

Edited by Shellshocker18, Aug 15 2017, 12:53 PM.
Posted Image

Shellshocker18
Member Avatar
The Shockmaster
Don't forget to bring a towel
Edited by Shellshocker18, Aug 27 2017, 10:30 PM.
Posted Image

Shellshocker18
Member Avatar
The Shockmaster
I like monkeys
Posted Image

Shellshocker18
Member Avatar
The Shockmaster
But man what a story
Posted Image

Shellshocker18
Member Avatar
The Shockmaster
This is the end of the story
Edited by Shellshocker18, Aug 27 2017, 10:29 PM.
Posted Image

No64DD
Member Avatar
Neva wizard Kee
X_D

Don't go dying on us yet...
An american defeating Hanafuda!?
Jalyn is reinventing how the Nintendo 64 is played, and we all should think twice about calling ourselves gamers anymore.

I look forward to your achievements and what you are able to teach others.
:n64:
Edited by No64DD, Aug 16 2017, 07:16 PM.
A Secret star
lie here~

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Shellshocker18
Member Avatar
The Shockmaster
More Japanese card games? Why yes? With an excellent randomly generated thumbnail I present me finishing up mission 7 of the single player in Goemon Mononoke Sugoroku, the last mission before the credits play, meaning I beat it.

Despite being called Sugoroku, this game isn't actually based on what the Japanese refer to as Sugoroku. It a version of Culdcept, a game invented on Sega Saturn in 1997 by Omiyasoft. Konami straight up ripped them off, which is okay because the game is good. Although I've heard it's aimed at children, it still took me forever to win.

Culdcept can get pretty complicated, but It's mostly about territory control and good management of resources, as well as not getting terribly unlucky dice rolls. You have monster cards, battle cards for enhancing their stats before the start of a battle, and spells which are used before you roll your dice to do a number of wacky things.

Players can place monsters on the board. Battles start if the player lands on the same space as a monster summoned by another player or if two separate monsters collide on the board. Each monster gets 1 attack and their stats are health, power, and speed which determines who attacks first, a vital stat of someone doesn't have enough health to withstand an attack. If the monster dies from the damage, the sum of the rest of the damage goes straight to the player. Everyone starts with 1,000 money, 2,000 health, and then it's a battle to the death. Everything costs money, and let's just say because I'm tired, running out of money is a :pottymouth: situation.

There are 15 characters total, 8 boards, and 340 cards total which take a bajilion years to unlock without gameshark. Amazingly, the entire cast of Konami's fighting game Rakuga Kids appear in various forms as cards. Most are monsters you can summon. An amazing cameo that's not in this vid because they are some of the final card I think can be unlocked.

In the story mode you either face 1 opponent or 2 opponents. Culdcept games, especially with 3 or 4 players, can take hours to complete if everyone has an even deck. How do you get a better deck? By winning cards! How to you win cards? By winning games! So yeah it's pretty slow. Chop it up to 20 hours or something I don't know.

Am I E3 Gold tier yet papi?
Edited by Shellshocker18, Aug 27 2017, 01:42 PM.
Posted Image

Shellshocker18
Member Avatar
The Shockmaster
:birdo:
Edited by Shellshocker18, Aug 27 2017, 10:36 PM.
Posted Image

italia64
Member Avatar
Veteran
I discovered that the first time I beaten Cruis'n World, actually I didn't do anything noteworthy. In fact I just beaten the Championship on Easy, Medium and Expert.
This time around I went deeper and I discovered 3 different skill levels in the Cruise the World mode, and 4 in the Championship mode. I managed to get the 1st place in every race, and even beaten all the target times.
French one was very hard, I recorded a video about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjOB-ucSyf8

Avoid Cruis'n USA, play Cruis'n World ;)

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image

Shellshocker18
Member Avatar
The Shockmaster
I've got a doozy here. Yakouchuu 2 Satsujin Kouro, the N64's only sound novel/text adventure. I've beaten it twice now and this footage was a long play i made for youtube making me the first person on YouTube to do so. Spoiler warning it kinda ruins the fun of the game if you ever plan on playing it.

I'm not quite done with it yet because there are some bonus scenarios. But ask any of the N-Cyyclopedia 64 guys they know how much effort I put into this. Their help is appreciated too.

1st bonus scenario done

The 2nd bonus scenario just has a bunch of different joke endings so there is no serious ending to it. So I'm done.
Edited by Shellshocker18, Sep 15 2017, 07:25 PM.
Posted Image

No64DD
Member Avatar
Neva wizard Kee
What a game!!
A Secret star
lie here~

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Shellshocker18
Member Avatar
The Shockmaster
I'm really surprised to see that all 3 Doraemon games are done but neither of the Custom Robo games. I finished the first game today since the English translation from like 5 months ago dropped for free last week

Posted Image

Unfortunatly mine keeps freezing during the credits so I don't know what's up with that
Posted Image

ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Fully Featured & Customizable Free Forums
Learn More · Sign-up for Free
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Gaming & General Nintendo 64 Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply