Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
N64Forever Beats 'Em All!; Let's Finish What the 2012-13 N64 Game-Off Started!
Topic Started: Jul 5 2013, 09:43 AM (27,149 Views)
Pimpin Mainer
Member Avatar
When I shoot, I shoot to film
I'd like to take on San Francisco Rush: Extreme Racing

Played it as a kid but never beat it. Its a pretty hard racer that AI does not slow down for you.
My Nintendo Collection

NES - 93
SNES - 45 N64 - 147 Game Cube - 5 Wii - 45 Switch - 11

Nintendo Friend Code: SW-8019-6333-1909

Posted Image
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Pimpin Mainer
Member Avatar
NO64DD
Apr 1 2014, 03:05 PM
@Pimpin i miss stuntin' at that skate bowl!
Yea I always liked that hidden stun track under one of the courses.

This game is hard and I have failed so many times today. Now I'm trying to collect keys to unlock better cars so I stand a chance against the A.I.

... sadly after 2 hours of collecting Keys and unlocking cars, I have discovered you can't use those cars in the grand circuit...rattlesnakes!

I have found a way to use unlocked cars, all you need is for the grand circuit to start on the track that you unlocked the car and then select it. now I can use the Taxi on every course, but the A.I is still kicking my butt...

So far I've completed 11 out of 25 and I am in first place with 94 points closely followed by second at 90
Edited by Pimpin Mainer, Apr 1 2014, 08:02 PM.
My Nintendo Collection

NES - 93

Posted Image

Pimpin Mainer
Member Avatar
Just beat it woot! Didn't think I would do it in one night but i did. I took photos and I will upload them with my little review of the game tomorrow!
My Nintendo Collection

NES - 93

Posted Image

Pimpin Mainer
Member Avatar
I did not think I could beat it in a day but I did. San Francisco Rush: Extreme Racing took me around 7 hours to beat, but some of that time was spent exploring levels finding keys.

Posted Image

For anyone who has not played Rush, it is Extreme. This game is so extreme that there is no reverse button. You have to go into options and turn reverse on. Now you may be thinking that sounds stupid why would it not have reverse? It is because this game is so extreme that if you were ever to use the reverse button you would be so far behind the Com (who never mess up) that you would come in 8th place. This game is too extreme for reverse and the designers knew that, hence the reason they removed the reverse button.

All right so this game is a racing game that takes you threw San Francisco like environments (Hills, bridges, cities) racing against 7 Com players. There are 24 races total but you repeat the same map several times: normal, reverse, mirror, and reverse mirror. This can mess with your head because the track while seem familiar to you, always tricks you because you turn the wrong way. It's not an extremely difficult racing game but its one that requires time. I had to restart pretty much every race in the 25-race circuit so I could keep 1st place. The Com players are challenging and rarely miss a turn or explode, oh yea, your car blows up in this game... EXTREME. Seriously though the Com players are fast and mean, if you are in their path they will smash into you and for some reason when you crash into them it hardly does anything. At one point I spun my car around and went the wrong direction on a race, I got to max speed (157mph) and smashed into another car going the other direction at a relatively equal speed. My car exploded and his continued to plow my flaming carcass at 150 mph like nothing happened.

You will find yourself restarting the game often because if you miss a turn and go off into the grass the com will get so far ahead that its almost impossible to catch up without messing up again. The high speed and steering make for a unique experience as you have to keep you car under control, which is harder than it sounds. All the short cuts will kill you unless you hit them perfect, but they are massive. You will often be flying hundreds of feet above the ground, over cities, and lakes.

I must say I enjoyed this game. It was challenging but with a kickin sound track like Rush it just energizes you. Making you feel great while playing the game. It is fast action, lots of explosions, and lots of entertainment. I would highly recommend playing this game, especially with friends!

Here are the final scores:
Posted Image

And now for the end screen. WARNING SPOILERS
Spoiler: click to toggle
Edited by Pimpin Mainer, Apr 2 2014, 02:15 PM.
My Nintendo Collection

NES - 93

Posted Image

Pimpin Mainer
Member Avatar
NO64DD
Apr 2 2014, 05:22 PM
That is Legit Pimpin!

Reverse?! I can't get over steering forward in RUSH Haha

And that is coming from someone who can play Episode I RACER nearly blindfolded ;)

Congrats

Hope ya saved it to yer controller pak!
That I did, saved it so I can replay that last race over and over and over again.

Since that title has been completed I would like to take on Asteroids Hyper 64
Edited by Pimpin Mainer, Apr 2 2014, 09:42 PM.
My Nintendo Collection

NES - 93

Posted Image

Pimpin Mainer
Member Avatar
Posted Image

Well after 1 hour and 20 minutes Asteroids Hyper 64 has been defeated! Did this quicker then I expected but I did play it as a kid so I knew what was coming.

After playing this game again I can say that it's mediocre. It was a simple idea, they took the classic game asteroids and added a few 3d textures in the background but left the game play 2d. The object of the game is to clear the level of all space junk. It give you a wide range of stuff too shoot at like, aliens, rocks, crystals that grow back, explosives. THe game gets a bit repetitive and left me wanting the single player to end.

I would say that this game is fun to play with friends and I do remember there being cool multiplayer matches.

Its a good game to play for 20 minutes but not one I think I will come back to for a while.

The end credits so boring that there is no need to have a spoiler alert, because there is no ending. you see you're final score at the end of the round like you always do, but no where does it say thanks for playing, or you win. straight back to the menu screen. I even had to go into the options to watch the credits because it didn't even play them.

Posted Image
Posted Image

That game left me wanting to play Rush, so if I may I would like to take on Rush 2 (a game I have never played but own)
Edited by Pimpin Mainer, Apr 3 2014, 10:25 AM.
My Nintendo Collection

NES - 93

Posted Image

Pimpin Mainer
Member Avatar
I am happy to say that Rush 2 is complete! Took me a bit longer than the first one but I still did it! Will be posting my mini-review and photos tomorrow.

I'm going for gold baby!!! :n64:
Edited by Pimpin Mainer, Apr 4 2014, 08:50 PM.
My Nintendo Collection

NES - 93

Posted Image

Pimpin Mainer
Member Avatar
I was feeling pretty good jumping into this game. I just beat the first Rush game a day ago and was very familiar with the controls, so I figured I got this in the bag… Nope.
Posted Image

So while most of the game was the same as the first, Midway threw a couple curve balls at me. The first thing, which is unfortunate, is the change in music. Anyone who played the first Rush game could tell you it had a kickin’ set of rock/metal tunes. Something you could scream to as your car exploded. In Rush 2 the songs are now an electric-trance type of music. I’m not saying its bad but, it’s no where near as good as the first. I even found a couple songs to be annoying to listen to.

Second curve ball, now there is drifting. Sat what?!?! Yea, I don think I like this either. At first it confused me because now your car will swing its back end out much farther than in Rush, adding a new dimension to the driving system. It took a little while to get used to but I did, and I still prefer the originals controls.

The track design is a little more creative in this game. Areas like Alcatraz, and Hawaii make the tracks environments feel different, where as in Rush, all the tracks looked relatively the same. Although the tracks are more stylized in Rush 2 they seem much simpler to drive on and learn, but this does not make for an easier game.

The Com players were balanced in the beginning, having the cars spread out over a wider range of the map made it so you could at least stay in the pack, where as Rush left no gap between cars making them a hive mind of cars. Near the end of the game the Com players become insane. As I mentioned before these tracks are easier to drive but that means you have to drive faster and better than the Com players because they do not slow down. It took me a while and several replays to master the corners of maps so that I could make as little error as possible and still the Com would be right next to me, waiting for that inevitable slip up and explosion.

While this game was fun and deserves a replay it had several bugs in the game that the first game did not, and that made the game play a bit annoying at times. The first was the not necessarily the drift system, but the new tumble system they added to your car. What I mean by this is that your car will now barrel roll over itself while you making a sharp corner. Let me give you an example; your driving at 150 mph and the person next to you is about to pass you, so you cant slow down but there is a corner coming up, what do you do? You drift it, right? Well you are supposed to but often times for no good reason your car will decide mid drift to roll over itself and off the road into a fiery death accompanied by electro music. This doesn’t happen all the time but it happens enough to make me wonder who added that feature. This game is already super hard, why add this new annoying tumble system? Ahhhh….. I swear it always, ALWAYS, happens on the final corner, from 1st to 8th in a second with no room to recover.

In other words, take the physics and the music from the first game, and add the tracks and cars from the second one. Perfect game.

There are good parts about Rush 2. I enjoyed the new painting options, tire options, and engine options. I made the car feel more like mine because I had a custom setup on each one. Rush 2 also features a trick level. Something the first game needed. The map was a skate park for cars, with jumps. So high speed, jumps and explosions, enough said. You can also kill other drivers now. On sharp corners I like to bounce off them, it saves your speed and they dash off the road and explode. Another thing that I liked is if you crashed in the spots of the track that were narrow, it blocks everyone from getting past you and a huge 8 car pile up happens. Tons of explosions and the N64 starts to lag as it struggles to render 8 different fire and smoke effects on screen at once. :n64:

Here are the final scores
Posted Image

And now after 10 hours of game play I present to you the end screen!

Well, I think I wanna stick with the Racing genre so now its time for Crus'n Exotica!
Edited by Pimpin Mainer, Apr 4 2014, 10:04 PM.
My Nintendo Collection

NES - 93

Posted Image

Pimpin Mainer
Member Avatar
Crus'n Exotica has been defeated...

This game was made by midway, the same people that made the Rush series. This game is not like rush. In this racing game its all about getting from point a to point b first. The controls are a bit touchy which is never good for a racing game. When you crash with someone or something rather than exploding or coming to a stop you just spin out and only lose about 30mph, which is much better than Rush. The game just seems a bit… lacking. The environments look different but they feel the same, they become easy and unexciting.

The campaign started off difficult as the Com players were very fast but once I unlocked a car that looked like a mini copper everything was easy. I only lost only two races with the mini copper.

This game only took me 4 hours to beat, and honestly that was total game play. If I just took the last circuit I played the single player game is only about an hour long. Where as rush took much more time to beat and master the tracks.

One cool feature about this game is the ability to do crazy flips over other cars. Tap a + a and your car will pop a wheelie and if anyone is in front of you, you will shoot into the sky doing flips. I found myself doing this allot so that I could avoid collisions with other cars, Seriously, a lot.

Its an alright game, perhaps more fun in an arcade but I’d say get Rush or Rush 2 over this.

And now the end screen…

I would now like to take on Extreme-G 2
Edited by Pimpin Mainer, Apr 5 2014, 08:33 PM.
My Nintendo Collection

NES - 93

Posted Image

Pimpin Mainer
Member Avatar
Nice Job on Rat attack, I have never played it before.

I must say Extreme-G 2 has to be one of the worst racing titles on the N64. This game has made me so angry so many times. I am a happy gamer, I dont get mad but this... thing. I will get into details when I finish this game, probably tomorrow. I had never played this game before and I probably will never again. I want to break it. I want to destroy this game.

had to let off some steam, wow. I just can't. Did they even test this game before the released it?
I hope Extreme-G is better then the second.
Edited by Pimpin Mainer, Apr 7 2014, 08:02 PM.
My Nintendo Collection

NES - 93

Posted Image

Pimpin Mainer
Member Avatar
cleftkirby
Apr 7 2014, 08:12 PM
I'd like to claim san francisco rush 2049

ohhh boy
Enjoy my friend, I do not own that game or I would have played it. Let me know how it is. :yeah:
My Nintendo Collection

NES - 93

Posted Image

Pimpin Mainer
Member Avatar
NintendoLuke99
Apr 10 2014, 04:56 PM
but sometimes i just wanted to break someones arm when playing it
I feel your pain. Extreme G2 is making me want to destroy something, but I keep reminding myself that ints not the hori pads fault this game is an :donkey: ****.
My Nintendo Collection

NES - 93

Posted Image

Pimpin Mainer
Member Avatar
Yea, Im a clam gamer but, there are things about this game that make me angry at times. I swear this is the first game I've ever been angry at :D
My Nintendo Collection

NES - 93

Posted Image

Pimpin Mainer
Member Avatar
I have finally beaten Extreme G2, FINALLY!

This game was a pain in the butt to beat, not because its hard but because its bad. It took me about 15 hours to beat.

Extreme G2 is a futuristic racer where you can literally drive on the walls. I have never played F-zero but I'm pretty sure this is a rip off of that game, and a bad one at that. Its a very fast racing game and turns come up fast and often. you will drive up 90 degree incline and thru loop de loops, as well as shooting the Com players to try and blow them up. sounds hard to mess up, an f-zero clone but this game did it.

First off I am not a bad racer, I like racing games and have played allot of them like Rush, Forza, and ridge racer, but this game made me want to pull my hair out at points because of the glitches in this game.

Lets start off with the good. There are lots of weapons to pick up (like mario kart), the tracks are all unique and look different, you can break the sound barrier and you can kill other drivers.

The bad...

The weapons suck, almost all the weapons are junk and I end up just tossing them hoping to get the rail gun or homing missile.

This game is about going fast yet when you do go fast you confuse the game. There were times were I was going fast (your supposed to) and there would be a 90 degree drop, so I launch off of it and the game gets confused, doesn't know what way is up anymore and turns my car around to face the other direction completely killing my momentum. and as a bonus slap in the face it tells you that you are going the wrong way. I don't know why but it always turns you around backwards, never once did I land forward when the game got confused.

Another spot that sucks is there are random seams in the walls that if you car touch then you get turned around completely. There are times when you need to ride the wall, I did this allot in Rush, but here you run the risk of hitting some stupid seam. I understand losing a bit of speed when touching a wall but seriously how does my car get spun around on something I cant see. This happens allot. You also sometimes go thru walls, thats not fun either because you are stuck in limbo and the game does not know what to do.

The walls are magnetic. I say this because if you touch a wall somehow you can not turn away from it. it makes no sense but sometimes you car gets stuck riding a wall and all you can do is hope you dont lose too much speed while the game screws with you. There are also times when you will be in a tunnel where you can ride all the walls but when you come out of the tunnel sometimes your car says "Screw centripetal force Im going this way" and darts you in a completely random direction. You would think you would just launch straight out but nope. you dont.

turning around is a huge pain in the butt. when you get turned around, and you will a lot (Read above lol), sometimes your car locks up and wont turn either direction. so there you are trying to turn around with you car just kind of twitching there. In Rush if you got stuck somewhere you could reset your car on the track. you lost speed but you returned to the track. This game does not do that, it makes you watch as you car takes 5 seconds to turn around and in that time the Com have left you in the dust. I guess I will just restart the race, WRONG. there is no reset. so if you lose you got back to the menu screen.

It makes me so mad because you will be wining, almost at the finish line and the game will somehow spin your car around and leave you flailing like an idiot trying to turn around as you watch every other car pass you.

You drive so fast in this game that you cant see anything ahead of you. you are always driving into sharp corners or walls because you cant see around 90 degree bends. you have to study the maps, and thats not fun. I had to play the last races so many times because you would get caught up on something. and since you lose you have to race all the tracks over again. GAHHHH!

When you beat a circuit (there are 5) you unlock a new car or track. When I unlocked my first car I noticed that it had much better stats so I used it on the next race. I could not figure out why I could not make it past the second circuit. I beat the game on easy normal and hard but nothing would unlock. I had to read a FAQ to find out that if you used the new cars you unlocked you could not progress... WHY DID THE GAME NOT TELL ME THAT! I spent so much time all because I used a car, that was new and better, but I was not supposed to, but of corse the Com players can use those cars.

The point system is pointless. in games like Mario kart you get points depending on the place you came in and at the end of the circuit the person with the most points wins. In this game you have to win pretty much all the races. I made me mad because I would lose circuits because I did not come in a certain place but I had way more points than any other racer. How can I lose if I am in first on the Points board?! oh god just thinking about this game is making me upset. So just come in first and don't look at the points.

There are no continues or restarts, if you lose you lose.

Sometimes the camera gets stuck on jumps. This is the worst because now you see a poorly rendered track surface up close and nothing else. Your car is somewhere but you cant see it, you don't know where to drive and you cant reset you car. so you just hope that you car driving in the right direction or the camera gets unstuck.

There is so much more about this game that sucks I just figured you got the point.

I enjoy a challenge, I love Ninja Gaiden and thats impossible to beat but thats because it takes crazy skills. This game is hard because it cheats, if it were not for all those glitches I listed above this game would be easy, but no.

The best way to describe this game is like playing shoots and ladders, but you can only use the shoots.

Here are the pics of the end screen. Enjoy them because This sucked to play and I will never play it again.

Never again...

I now claim Jermy McGrath supercross 200
Edited by Pimpin Mainer, Apr 13 2014, 07:51 PM.
My Nintendo Collection

NES - 93

Posted Image

Pimpin Mainer
Member Avatar
bluedogrulez
Apr 12 2014, 05:09 AM
Wow, that is a huge victory , Pimpin! Some excellent perseverance on your part. Good luck with Supercross :yeah:
Thanks BDR, if not for this Beat 'em all I would have stopped playing this game a while ago. I am happy now that I have beaten it and don't need to play it again... until the next beat em all. NOOOOOOO!
My Nintendo Collection

NES - 93

Posted Image

Pimpin Mainer
Member Avatar
Today was a great day for beating video games... a lazy sunday

Alright so I beat Jeremy McGrath Supercross 2000, it took me around 4 hours. I was a little worried when I saw it was made by Acclaim the same people that made Extreme G2, a game I did not enjoy at all, but luckily the sports devision of Acclaim know how to make a good racer.

So this is a motocross game and you race on indoor and outdoor tracks, and I believe there are 16 total. I liked the outdoor maps a little more because they had longer straight aways and less turns. The indoor ones were tighter and had hail bales, which I crashed into a lot.

The controls are a bit touchy at first but I easily adapted to them. The turning is not that bad, you have to slow down on some corners but that's expected. You can crash, but it only happens when you plow into a wall, hey bail, or someone lands on top of you.

There are 3 circuits to play, one outdoor, one indoor, and one combined. To win these all you have to do is be on the top of the points board after the last race. I found the Com players to be a bit too easy. I struggled on the first few races but once I mastered the turning I had no problem winning, as you will see by my final score.

The game also lets you do some minor customization to you bike: adjusting the suspension, tires, and engine type.

If you could rent games I would say rent this one. It is fun to play but after beating the campaign I have no real desire to play again as there are plenty of better racers out there.

So, its a good game just not great. It also has a stunt mode but I find it a bit odd that R is the only button that does tricks.

Here is my final score for the campaign
Posted Image

and here are the spoilers

I would now like to claim Rampage 2: Universal Tour
Well I also Beat Rampage 2: Universal Tour Today! took me around 3 hours to beat. (I was rendering a video earlier today and it took my computer 6 hours to do, so I beat Supercross and Rampage in that time).

Rampage was one of the few games I rented multiple times as a kid, but I had never beaten it until today. If you have never played Rampage before the point of the game is to destroy cities. You play as 1 of 3 giant characters (Until you unlock more), and run threw 2d cities trying to destroy them before the military or police can kill you. It can be played with up to 3 players at once. This is a very fun game.

You get to climb buildings and punch them to the ground, you can eat people (or kick them across the screen), blow up cars and tanks and even take down helicopters and plains. There are plenty of power ups hiding inside buildings, they range from health, power, poison, and cool power ups like Super punch. Each character has their own special move that can be activated once a bar is filled up. I used Boris the Rhino and he would charge at a building, horn first, and take it out in one hit.

The controls are very simple to learn, I played with my 9 year old sister and she did fine. It's just jump, punch kick and move.

The only down side to this game it its short but it feels like its long. I say this because the game becomes repetitive. If you play thru the whole game in one sitting (like I did) you will play 121 days (levels). They do change a little from level to level but its the same idea, climb buildings and destroy them. Its fun but its just the same thing for 3 hours, kinda like nascar LOL.

A very VERY fun game to play with friends and I would highly recommend buying this game.

and now for the spoilers (and there are a lot).

I shall now claim Robotron 64
Edited by Pimpin Mainer, Apr 13 2014, 05:48 PM.
My Nintendo Collection

NES - 93

Posted Image

Pimpin Mainer
Member Avatar
bluedogrulez
Apr 13 2014, 06:15 PM
:applause: Standing Ovation for Pimpin Mainer and his double header victory! :applause: Great stuff and good luck with Robotron 64
Thanks BDR, I must give some of the Credit to my computer, lol. When I render a video I can't do anything else with my comp until its done. In this case it was a 2 hours violin concert with color correction and more. So if my computer was a beast and did that in 1 hour in stead of 6 would only have beaten Supercross.

I must say that thanks to this "beat em all" I have beaten many games from my childhood that I never did and I have also played many games that I have never played before. As a collector I tend to just put the games on the shelf but now they are having their turn in the N64!
My Nintendo Collection

NES - 93

Posted Image

Pimpin Mainer
Member Avatar
Thanks BDR! Robotron is going well, Im on level 100 something and I think I will beat it tonight. This game is fun btw! And good luck luke I never beat RR64 as a kids but you can do it!
My Nintendo Collection

NES - 93

Posted Image

Pimpin Mainer
Member Avatar
I've been slacking on my N64 playing the last two weeks. I am on level 157 of 200 in robotron and its getting very hard. If it was not for work and more work I would have beaten this game weeks ago. Its a fun game too!

Hey Luke how is RR64 going?
My Nintendo Collection

NES - 93

Posted Image

Pimpin Mainer
Member Avatar
Well its long over due but I beat Robotron 64! I beat this game about a week ago but have been too busy to post the results.

I played this game for about 8 hours but it only took my around 4 to beat all 200 levels. I had almost beat this game before but my memory card became corrupted (I was on level 157) and I had to start all over.

Robotron is a unique shooter that places you in an asteroid like game. You are some strange dude with a giant head who is trying to save humanity from the robots. Basically you start in the center of a square map and fight off waves and waves of robots while trying to collect the people running around. You use the joystick to move and the c buttons to shoot in the desired direction. Its very simple in its idea and ends up being a great game. It was developed by Crave (they also made Asteroids hyper 64), a company that I consider a "B" developer. They make alright games but this might be their best game on the N64.

The game starts off very easy and you clear the levels within minutes. You also build up a lot of extra lives but you will need them in the end. If you want to beat this game you need to save as many people as you can in order to get more lives, lots more lives. At one point (around level 120) I had 83 lives. you would think that at this point the game would be too easy, but soon and very quickly the robots begin to destroy you. I mean DESTROY. you will be dying every couple seconds and you stock pile of lives quickly falls. I ended with 13 lives when I beat the game and lost about 300 playing all the way threw.

It was fun and challenging, and there are even 2 boss battles! There is a nice range of enemies from giant robots, to fast silver robots, to flying gold robots (these guys suck), giant brain things that shoot lasers, ants, spiders, tanks, weird circle things that shoot more circle things, needless to same there is a lot of things to kill.

There are a lot of enemies on screen at one time, this gets very hectic as you try to move away from the massive horde without getting trapped in a corner. There are also allot of bright neon/ rainbow colors.

If you life fast passed electronic music (even gaba) then this is the game for you. I swear the guy that made this soundtrack was on some heavy drugs. the music is hard, fast, and in your face never slowing down below 300bpm.

I would recommend this game to anyone, even none experienced gamers. Simple, cheap, and fun.

and now for the spoilers...

I now claim ECW hardcore Revolution
Edited by Pimpin Mainer, May 8 2014, 06:09 PM.
My Nintendo Collection

NES - 93

Posted Image

Pimpin Mainer
Member Avatar
Well I only gave ECW 3 tries but im just not digging the game, I would like to trade for Milo's astro lanes
My Nintendo Collection

NES - 93

Posted Image

Pimpin Mainer
Member Avatar
I have beaten Milo's Astro lanes. I will post picture later tonight
My Nintendo Collection

NES - 93

Posted Image

Pimpin Mainer
Member Avatar
Alright here it is. After many, many months I have finally finished Milo's Astro-Lanes. This game was not hard but due to a memory card issue (this is the second time this has happened while doing a n64 BEA) I had to start over.

Milo's Astro Lanes is an easy game, very easy, it took me about 5 hours to beat the game (almost twice). Milo's is a arcade style bowler where the player bowls in spacey / futuristic levels with items and power ups. Its very easy to pick up and does not require much skill to master. All you need to do to be good is pitch the ball down the center and use your items. Items are picked up as you bowl, so on each one of your turns there will be several stars on the bowling alley, and if you hit them you collect the item. Its pretty simple and each time you bowl there are 3 items in the lane, so items are not hard to find or get. Each item has a pro and an anti ability. The pro ability is used when you are bowling and gives you an advantage, such as larger ball, 3 balls, faster speed, ect. when its your opponents turn those items become Anti items and do the opposite of what they do when you bowl. so for example the power up that makes your ball bigger will make your opponents ball smaller, faster = slower. The items are pretty basic but as long as you use them you are unstoppable. I say this because later in the game when its supposed to be difficult all you have to do is drop some anti power ups on your opponent and he cant do anything, basically crippling them to a tiny score. even if you don't score over 40 in a round of bowling you can beat the COM. The COM sometimes uses the Anti power ups but barely enough to make up for the amount you use on them. I destroy the COM with Anti power ups.

The levels also get a bit harder later on, things like curved tracks or hills in the middle are supposed to make it difficult but after 2 or 3 throws you can find the sweet spot and simply bowl it down the same path every time and get a good score.

The backgrounds were dull and the most of the characters made me mad because of how cheesy they are, espechialy that frog, IDK what it is but I got beef with him, or the stupid lightbulb robot thing, ahhh.

The Voice acting is basic, and I find the anouncer often just says 'EEEEWWWWW TRICKKYYY", yea we get it it a crave game so there is no budget.

Over all I give this game a 5 out of 10. Not the worst game out there but it gets old pretty quick, the game even asked me "arent you ready to move on"... yes yes I am... or something along those lines (its in a photo below).

And now for the amazing credits!!!!

My Nintendo Collection

NES - 93

Posted Image

Pimpin Mainer
Member Avatar
I would now like to claim Battlezone: Rise of the Black Dogs.
My Nintendo Collection

NES - 93

Posted Image

Pimpin Mainer
Member Avatar
italia64, you're a beast... just wanted to pop in and say that. I will post a finished game soon, give me a couple weeks :yeah:
My Nintendo Collection

NES - 93

Posted Image

Pimpin Mainer
Member Avatar
I just spent 2 hours playing Battle Zone: Rise of the Black Dogs, beat it, and then realized I beat the wrong game mode :facepalm: . ahhhhh.... I don't like this game. So when you start a new game there are 3 levels of difficulty, Arcade, Pilot, and Commander. The icons are Private, Corporal, and Sargent, so one can assume its simply just easy normal and hard... nope. I started on the first icon and poof, no story just a slap on the face and a go kill e'm. I beat arcade mode, all it gave me was a high score table. I thought it was odd and I tried looking up end scenes for the game and it looked like everyone else was playing a different game. I had an idea and I tried a new campaign on pilot mode and poof, a story... I really don't want to play this game again... Maybe it was just arcade mode that sucked but I don't want to try the other modes.
My Nintendo Collection

NES - 93

Posted Image

Pimpin Mainer
Member Avatar
Here is my experience with the not so lovely game Battle Zone: Rise of the Black Dogs. Let me start off by saying this is not a terrible game, it is playable and for a moment it is enjoyable, but I found myself wishing after each level that I would see the credit screen.

When starting the game you are given 4 options for a campaign. The first called Arcade, the second called pilot, the third called Commander and the last training mode. Now one can assume that these represent 3 levels of difficulty, seeings as they all use military rank symbols as their icons. Which I later found out to be incorrect... After selecting the difficulty, you are then asked to choose a player, USA, USSR, or Black Dogs. I went with good old USA. In arcade mode there is no story, none, you are dropped off on some random, bleak, planet to destroy every enemy that is there. The enemies are not the brightest and I often found you could destroy them before they even turned around to look at you. The enemy type was also a bit bland. There was a turret (which never moved), a fighter ( a kind fast but weak tank), light tank (slow but had more fire power than fighter), tank (the same type of vehicle you have), missile tank (sounds scary but this thing is super dumb and rarely turns around to shoot you), I think I saw a mech in there but I blew it up before I got close to it, and a vehicle called Fury. The fury was interesting because there were 2 types but shared the same name and guns, the only difference between the 2 would be that one flies (supper annoying) and one is on the ground. Fury had the most health and shot a homing missile at you. The Fury moved pretty slow so it wasn't too hard to defeat. The flying Fury was just a pain in the butt, once it saw you it would fly into the sky so you couldn't shot it, and then 30 seconds later land on the ground and then you would kill it. It never shot anything while it was in the air, so basically it just made you wait for 30 seconds while it flew around >:-] . Oh yea, sometimes where you would kill an enemy a pilot would shoot out and parachute down to the ground all the while shooting you. I found out pretty quick that you can just drive away from them, apparently you don't need to kill them to beat the level. so instead of waiting for them to float to the ground I would just drive away.

Level types, ha thats funny. The levels had slight alterations between each planet. Some planets were brown, some were icey, some have mountains, and some had green fog. They were all very similar to one another so it often felt like the same level with a different skin, although the mountain levels were cool. The graphic draw of this game isn't that good (I mean it is limited) but the levels were quite large. So you would spend time just following your little mini map to the next enemy. Often times driving for 30 seconds into a vast blank horizon until you came upon a enemy. I can't remember how many levels there were but I will say somewhere around 8 worlds with 4 - 5 levels on each world.

Items... well just 2 of them. You got health (green) and ammo (blue). they both show up on the mini map as yellow dots so sometimes you can drive around for a while until you get the one you want. Picking up these items is a bit of a task itself. If the item is on perfectly flat surface you are all set and you can pick it up. If the item is on a hill then you need to crawl over the item to get it. If you drive fast you will go right thru it, and even at a slow to moderate speed you still wont pick it up. I had to turn around many times just to pick up an item.

The controls are like playing a bad version of goldeneye while on ice. The C buttons move your tank (which I like) while the joystick moves your gun. Sounds simple but the gun always wanted to go back to center screen so when you try and aim up or down you are fighting against the auto reposition. This makes it very hard to shoot on hills or shoot things that are flying. so if you want to look up or down at a certain angle you need to hold the joystick in that position without moving it, or letting go. A little annoying, so I spent most of my time just using the c left and c right buttons to circle around the enemies and destroy them with missiles. About that ice thing... When you stop moving your tank your tank does not stop moving. I got used to this after a while but in the beginning it made it hard to fight enemies as I couldn't stop to aim as my tank would keep sliding around. I do understand that these are not ordinary tanks, they are hover tanks in space, so the sliding I understand but still did not like.

Weapons. There were a bunch of weapons but I only used two of them. The mini gun and the rocket. They had homing missiles and mortars but they were difficult to use and I found it was easier just to drill an enemy with 20 rockets then try and get the homing missile to work. To use a homing missiles you need to hold the fire button while aiming at the enemy and hold the cross hair on the enemy for like 4 seconds and then press fire again... With the tank always sliding around and the enemy moving it made it very difficult to get a lock on anyone. so just use the mini or the rocket.

Your tanks. You get more than one tank but they all feel the same to me, except one. Some of the tanks look different and have different weapons but since I only used the rocket launcher it made no difference as 90% of the tanks had that weapon. There was one tank that only had the mini gun, but I liked that weapon. There was one tank that had all the same weapons but moved way to slow. yuck.

For a quick sum up of this game I would say: Complete with bleak wide open levels, AI who are more interested in looking at each other, useless weapon types, slippery controls, and plenty of driving, I give this game a 4 out of 10. Not the worst game I've played (I'm looking at you GTX 2) but not the best. It's fun for a moment and I can see why this was still on the beat 'em all list. I did Play the other game modes for a couple levels but lost interest pretty quick. It give you a story and missions (basically blow stuff up), so perhaps this game has a little more to it then I was able to experience, but I don't want to go back and find out.

Now for the end screen for Arcade mode
Edited by Pimpin Mainer, Sep 28 2015, 01:02 PM.
My Nintendo Collection

NES - 93

Posted Image

Pimpin Mainer
Member Avatar
Thanks for the win BDR!

I would like to claim Mortal combat anthologies sub zero
Edited by Pimpin Mainer, Sep 28 2015, 07:56 PM.
My Nintendo Collection

NES - 93

Posted Image

Pimpin Mainer
Member Avatar
haha thanks Italia, I remember trying to play this game when I was a kid. I played it a few nights ago with some friends and well... we didn't make it very far in the first level. This game has no mercy for anyone, level one and it will kill you instantly in several points. And the controls are a bit of a problem too
My Nintendo Collection

NES - 93

Posted Image

Pimpin Mainer
Member Avatar
Boss mode activated! Nothing can stop Italia.... maybe you should try Mortal Kombat Anthologies... >:-]
My Nintendo Collection

NES - 93

Posted Image

ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Create a free forum in seconds.
Learn More · Sign-up for Free
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Gaming & General Nintendo 64 Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply