Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
N64Forever Beats 'Em All!; Let's Finish What the 2012-13 N64 Game-Off Started!
Topic Started: Jul 5 2013, 09:43 AM (28,708 Views)
Sixty Formula
Member Avatar
Established Member
bluedogrulez
Mar 20 2015, 09:05 AM
Mr. Koippa, Italia, Decontendo = GAMERS!!! You guys have us rolling again :yeah:

Great job Decontendo on beating you first game from Beats 'Em All. And awesome to see you jump back in with another :n64: game from the hit list.

FIRST POST UPDATED.
I would be down to participate in N64Forever Beats 'Em All if I'm eligible (not sure how long you need to be a member). Can I take on Turok: Dinosaur hunter? ;)
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Sixty Formula
Member Avatar
Established Member
Beating Turok: DH (N64)

Hey everyone. So, I finished Turok: Dinosaur Hunter today. It took me about 12 in-game hours to complete over a course of 48 hours. I've compiled my entire journey into an album you can see by clicking the link above. Now, I will say, that I was a seasoned player when I began this quest to complete this game 100%. This used to be one of my favorite games when I grew up. The best part though, is that I never beat the game (not even close) and I ALWAYS used the cheats, no matter what.

This time, I beat the entire game 100%, using no cheats whatsoever, and it was extremely challenging.

First and foremost, this game looks pretty amazing for the year it was released, which was 1996 I believe. Everything looks pretty nice, and even the interaction quality is astounding for the N64. Different enemies can die in different ways, each enemy comes with multiple death animations (which can be badass). Second, and this should really be first, but this game is GIGANTIC. I can't believe how expansive this game can get. It would take you months and months to explore every nook and cranny.

The best feature about this game, is that no matter what you do or where you go, enemies stay dead. I love this, because it makes the world that you're in feel genuine. Yeah, there's some enemies that re-spawn constantly in certain areas...but they are few and far between. I found myself having to backtrack through a previous level at some point, and was dreading having to re-kill all the enemies and reopen all the traps and doors. To my amazement, the doors stayed opened, the switches stayed on, and the harder boss-like enemies stayed dead. Since the game doesn't go to a menu before each level, and focuses on a hub, everything stays the way that it is. It's awesome, and makes the game feel huge.

So the lame stuff about the game really just comes from the mechanics. The controls are pretty terrible...like really terrible. You move Turok with the c buttons and the joystick is the camera for the first person view...why did so many n64 titles do this? Another problem that turok suffers from, like many other n64 titles as well, is the dang fog. The fog in this game really limits the player from truly understanding how expansive and huge the Turok universe is. It's really irritating because I couldn't capture a quality mental-map in my head for where I was located, mainly because I could never see more than 10 feet in front of me.

The worst part of the game is the jumping. Oh my god, the jumping. Jumping in first person is SO hard to do. If you're not a seasoned first-person jumper, then you certainly will be by the end of this game. It wouldn't be so bad if there were only a handful of jumps in the game, but this game's title should really be: Jump Man: Dinosaur Jumper - This game is PACKED with the smallest platforms you'll ever see in a 3D shooter, spanning for what seems like dozens of platform jumps at a time. If you fall, you lose an entire life. Talk about the most difficult, unmerciful, and unbridled gameplay you'll find in an n64 game. You can't even save if you don't have a memory pak accessory, so if you die with 0 lives, it's back to the days of super mario brothers and starting all the way over.

It took me about 12 in-game hours to beat within 2 days, and I give the game a 7.5 out of 10. If you're up for a challenge, and really want to experience something expansive for the N64, make sure you play this game. There are some awesome things to see in this game. If you're just interested in blowing up :pottymouth:, turn on the cheats and pick a level...but heed this warning...You won't get the most out of the game if you don't play it all the way through (and that's hard to do with all the cheats on). Some character models, architecture, and environments can't be found and experienced unless you really delve deep into the game. I ran into at least 2 new bad guys i'd NEVER even seen in the game before I did this play-through, and i've played this game for more than 10 years.

Most of all I had fun, I'm glad I did it! I hope you guys enjoyed this review, looking forward to playing another. Thanks.

Edited by Sixty Formula, Mar 22 2015, 05:10 PM.

Sixty Formula
Member Avatar
Established Member
italia64
Mar 22 2015, 06:29 PM
@Sixty Formula: I really enjoyed watching the pics and reading your review about Turok DH.
In these days I'm playing Turok 2 for the N64 Beat 'Em All and reading your words I'm sure that you have to play this game (if you don't played yet).

Turok 2 improves Turok DH in every aspect, better graphic (a lot better), less fog-effect, better weapons, better enemies, cutscenes, deeper story, objectives and...bigger levels! This last aspect in my opinion is not a positive improvement.
In fact the levels are too huge, often is frustrating search a key or a single item and you have to do a lot of backtracking. But if you like FPS and you don't mind to explore these freaking huge worlds (believe me, every levels is averagely three times bigger than Turok DH levels) Turok 2 is your game if you liked Turok DH.

I also finished Turok 3 and it's a very different game. The gameplay is very linear, smaller levels, but technically Turok 2 is the king of the N64 classic FPS.

Goldeneye and Perfect Dark are in another planet as we know, but if you like classic FPS and you aren't scared about very hard games (Turok 2 is hard ad hell, especially in the N64 version because the ridiculous lack of save point) you'll be surprised about this masterpiece ;-)

Off-Topic:
I noticed that you didn't played Turok DH on CRT. Me too used to play N64 in full-HD TVs but now I'm playing all the games on CRT and they are a lot better, they seems different games.
In the new TVs the N64 graphic is crap, and also in YouTube videos. This is a pity because watching YouTube videos people think that N64 has an ugly graphic. On CRT N64 has the best graphic of the 5th generation and some games had graphics of the sixth generation (as Conker's BFD, Perfect Dark, ecc).
Thanks! I enjoyed playing the game and writing about it. I would love to get a CRT but they tend to be very heavy. How much did you get yours for, if you don't mind me asking? Thanks again!

Sixty Formula
Member Avatar
Established Member
bluedogrulez
Mar 23 2015, 08:37 PM
Whoa, well done Decontendo! Silver achievement level attained. Mission Impossible is all yours for the next month. Good luck!

First post updated.
You can update Turok: Dinosaur Hunter as well! :w00t: and I'll take on AeroGauge next!

Sixty Formula
Member Avatar
Established Member
Titan
Mar 25 2015, 05:22 AM
Have to applause sixty formula on the great review for Turok and have to agree is a huge game I myself gave up half way through! Was the first game I owned and I. Od not handle the awkward c buttons and small platforms for the jumping, jump man is very fitting indeed! Fog Was also a big issue, many times I found myself lost
Thank you kindly! :) I encourage you to revisit the game, just be sure to have a controller pak!

Sixty Formula
Member Avatar
Established Member
italia64
Apr 4 2015, 06:12 PM
Few words about Turok 2:
(I wrote an incredible huge review but unfortunately in Italian :mariorun: ).

I'm going to scoop this game and play it. I've never played Turok 2, and everyone talks about how it's the best installment. Great information! Thumbs up.

DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · Gaming & General Nintendo 64 Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply