Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
N64Forever Beats 'Em All!; Let's Finish What the 2012-13 N64 Game-Off Started!
Topic Started: Jul 5 2013, 09:43 AM (28,715 Views)
Decontendo
Member Avatar
So I'm definitely new here, but this topic has sparked an interest. I'd like to claim Glover for my first game I complete here. As far as I can see its still on the hit list. I'm willing to tackle it for 100% completion!
>:-]
Edited by Decontendo, Mar 14 2015, 02:24 AM.
Currently playing: Mission Impossible, Majora's Mask, Infernal Machine
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Decontendo
Member Avatar
@italia64, glad to see that you beat the game. Hope you had fun, it's unfortunate that you can't go back and complete those last two antidotes. Sounds to me like you knew what you were doing so I would consider the game completed haha.

Update: Still working on Glover. 80% completed. One thing that I'm unsure of with this game, is there are things you collect in each stage of each world called "Garibs". I've been taking pictures every time I finish a stage, showing that I obtained every Garib in each stage. However, every time I beat the main boss of each world, it doesn't list the Garibs you obtained for each world, but it does say "But you missed some garibs". Which I did not, with picture proof. I know there is a bonus stage in each world to complete after each boss, and I'm planning on going back and completing each bonus stage, so hopefully that is what the game is considering more garibs in each world that I'm somehow missing...
Almost done with the game! Will update soon. About 4.5 hours into it.

Decontendo
Member Avatar
Posted Image
So I completed every world in the game with 100% on garibs. I don't know whether it's a matter of starting the game from the beginning several times and shutting off before completing a world out of lack of commitment, but everytime I completed a stage (there's 3 in each world + a bonus stage), I made sure to have 100% of the garibs from every stage per world. Everytime I would finish a world, and beat the final boss, it would tell me "But you missed some garibs." I did take lots of pictures of every stage's ending after I would complete it to show that I was scoring every garib in the level. Since the game refused to register that I had completed each stage 100%, I haven't been able to access the bonus levels. Very disappointing. I cleared all the saves on the game, don't know if I should open the cartridge to reset but disconnecting the battery so I don't have this issue if I do another play through, or if it's a lost cause. Anyhow, I completed the game with 24/30 stages at 100%. Quite irritated, actually.

Posted Image

Posted Image
Congratulations... okay.

So about the game. The mechanics of the gameplay are definitely a change from other platformers. The possible movements and techniques you can use to complete any given obstacle are all interchangeable. This allows the game to be played differently by everyone. The controls are easy to figure out, but difficult to full master. Glover handles tight, and the mechanics of how the ball feels when you're doing different actions with it are executed very well.
The game is VERY linear, using an overworld as an appearance of choice between worlds. However, there are only 6 worlds. Some only accessible after completing the world before it. The bosses in the game are god-awful easy. They can be frustrating until you know what to do, but in reality when you're fighting a boss, except for the final boss, you are in pretty much NO danger of taking damage at any time.
The graphics are decent, my absolute biggest gripe with the game (aside from the weird technical issue I experienced..) is the MASSIVE amounts of fog. The stages in the worlds are fairly large, but you can't see too far into the distance. This makes backtracking after you have the ability to fly at some point in a level so you can go back and fetch some garibs you couldn't reach before, extremely difficult and downright frustrating.
The music is quite boring in my opinion. It is themed well per each level, but the music is weak and doesn't have an emotion-evoking melodies. The only exception to this was a themed world of nightmares.

Over all, Glover is a good. Title. I wouldn't say it's platformer greatness, but it's a fun play if you're a fan of the genre or want to try something with interesting gameplay mechanics.

6.5/10

(Edit: I spent about 6 hours total on the game. Now that I've done a playthrough, minus the bonus stages, I have a feeling I could cut each stage to about 5-10 minutes each. There's 24 stages including boss stages, playing through the game at 100% without doing the bonus stages is a possible 2-3 hours.)
Now I'm claiming Chameleon Twist 2! :D
Edited by Decontendo, Mar 19 2015, 06:04 PM.

Decontendo
Member Avatar
Posted Image
So I beat Chameleon Twist 2 the other day. I haven't had time to get on here and post it up.
Took me about 2 hours of playing through the 6 levels.

The Bosses of the game are definitely the funnest part. The levels themselves are simplistic, and a little monotonous. The game is geared toward children, so it seems, but the last level of the game definitely took a jump from easy to difficult. Only the last level was difficult, and took the mechanics of gameplay to a step 10x that of the previous levels.

Posted Image
Also, the bosses in each world are fun, and not too challenging. However, the last boss of the game is RIDICULOUS. I spent two hours going through all the levels of the game, and when I reached the last boss, I spent 3 hours on it alone trying to complete the game. It's one of those gaming moments that you know what to do, but executing perfect moves becomes tedious as the boss attacks faster and faster the more damage it takes. One of those things that now after I've beaten the final boss, I'm confident I could do it every single time without dying now.

All in all, Chameleon Twist is a good afternoon-play platformer. If you're bored and need to kill some time with something that's fairly easy but mostly entertaining, pop it in on the weekend or after work. Just beware the final boss. I wanted to rip my hair out.

5/10 stars.

Also, reading everyone talk about the CRT TV's, I just popped outside during work and saw someone in the building threw a big one away. Just snagged it and it works, so I'll be bringing this monster home. Thanks for the heads up!

I'd like to complete Mission Impossible next, if I could claim that please!

Decontendo
Member Avatar
@Italia64-
Dude now I feel like a jerk. I think the whole thing started off with me writing about Tonic Trouble, and you picking that one up. Somehow we are on the same game wavelength, I'm not intentionally trying to steal your thunder! You can PM me your list of games that you want to claim ahead of time so I don't snag them from you again haha
Looking forward to seeing your results for Turok2!

@BDR-
Thank you for the recognition! I'm having a blast playing all these games. I actually never get around to finishing them in my casual gaming life, but this forum is giving me the needed ambition to finish them! Hopefully I can get some more knocked out after mission impossible before all of the other fine gamers beat everything out!

@Sixtyformula-
Awesome job on beating TurokDH, the Turok series is one that I had as a kid, tossed aside, and haven't attempted since because of the difficulty with the platforming aspects and the massive fog and huge worlds.
Let us know if AeroGauge is worth the time or not!

Update on Mission Impossible:
Put in about an hour last night. Where as other games I was able to plow through, the difficulty level in this game is definitely cranked up from what I'm used to with my Rareware madness. Figuring out exactly how to go about certain missions is the fun part, but it's also the main challenge in the game. I'm looking forward to putting in a couple hours tonight and hopefully seeing that credit screen in the next few days.

ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums with no limits on posts or members.
Learn More · Sign-up for Free
« Previous Topic · Gaming & General Nintendo 64 Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply