Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
N64Forever Beats 'Em All!; Let's Finish What the 2012-13 N64 Game-Off Started!
Topic Started: Jul 5 2013, 09:43 AM (27,191 Views)
Shellshocker18
Member Avatar
The Shockmaster
italia64
Sep 5 2016, 03:50 AM
I reached Siberia stage 4. Next level is the final level.
Siberia Stage 4 took me upwards of about 30 tries to complete. I had to save halfway through the level so I didn't have to start the whole thing over again when I died. My Body Harvest Save file says 8 hours but counting all the failed missions it's closer to like 50 hours. Trust me, after the hell that is Siberia, the next level is some otherworldly catharsis. The very last bullet you shoot will be the most satisfying thing in the world.
Edited by Shellshocker18, Sep 5 2016, 05:36 AM.
Posted Image
Posted Image I only partially like some of you
Posted Image The award I will forever be most proud of
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Shellshocker18
Member Avatar
The Shockmaster
Congrats italia! I hope that final bullet was as satisfying for you as it was for me. It's even more satisfying then the final sword attack in Ocarina of Time. I'll read your thoughts the game, although considering you had the perseverance to beat it, I'm sure it'll be mostly positive.

I personally think the game is easier to appreciate now than when it was first released. Most open world third person shooters now are nowhere near as challenging nor as well paced as this one. DMA were visionaries and very creative, forward thinking designers.
Posted Image

Shellshocker18
Member Avatar
The Shockmaster
I think Java was probably my favorite zone. It was the last zone where you stood a realistic chance of killing aliens without a vehicle. Everything afterwards and you were basically dead on foot. And the objectives in each level were cool too. America was good too, and seeing all the high building and streets was pretty amazing for n64. Aside from having to lead those kids with that Ice Cream Truck which was a pain because there were always stragglers. You couldn't even shoot while Inside the Ice cream truck so that makes it the worst vehicle.

The airboat was an awesome vehicle. It had powerful machine guns and let you slide around on the land and sea at your own leisure. You could even go over most mountains pretty easily with it. All the helicopters were useful for taking down bosses and it was cool to just be able to fly around the level very quickly, although it is the easiest way to experience the terrible draw distance. You have to fly real low to see anything.
Posted Image

Shellshocker18
Member Avatar
The Shockmaster
Well I don't have most of the games on the list but most of them are sports games anyhow. I have Rampage World Tour and I've beaten it before. I can do that again if someone wants me to. I need a break from Mischief Makers anyway. These S ranks are hurting my hands.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

So I just went ahead and did that. It's a pretty easy game. The first time I ever played World Tour was somewhere around 98-99 at a place called Showbiz pizza. I'm not sure if it was a national chain or just a regional thing around Tennessee and North Carolina but it was basically Chuck E. Cheese before it was renamed, except they had an animatronic band called the Rockafire Explosion. There is an entire documentary about people who were touched by this band and how their lives were forever changed by their music.

I just remember Rampage World Tour and terrible pizza, but I was wondering if anyone else remembers that place. So Italia, are you planning on finishing the list all by yourself? I would help if I had an everdrive. You sound like you are planning on getting one.

Edited by Shellshocker18, Nov 4 2016, 10:11 AM.
Posted Image

Shellshocker18
Member Avatar
The Shockmaster
Hey can I claim Hey You Pikachu? I finally got a working microphone for my vru and I've always wanted to actually beat this game. My cousin had the blue Pikachu n64 and I played Hey You Pikachu when it was new. Could never figure out what to actually do but now I have the internet on my side. Playing it right now and it's surprisingly fun, although I'm playing it with my cousin again. It would probably be boring if I played it by myself.
Edited by Shellshocker18, Nov 15 2016, 07:56 PM.
Posted Image

Shellshocker18
Member Avatar
The Shockmaster
Here. Turns out Hey You Pikachu is actually a 2 hour game if you don't count the tutorial parts.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

I don't get the hate honestly. This game has aged so gracefully, maybe moreso than any game on the console. I know that no game is truly worthy of a 10/10 but this game comes pretty darn close. It's just because Pokemon fans who wanted an rpg treated this spin off as if it was trying to replace the main series. I mean did the N64 really need another Rpg? Whatever, it's their loss. Hey You Pikachu now proudly sits in my top 3 N64 games along with Blues Brothers and Flying Dragon.

:pika: :pika: :pika: :pika: :pika: :pika: :pika: :pika:
Posted Image

Shellshocker18
Member Avatar
The Shockmaster
I wish I had joined earlier so I could have claimed more games. I don't believe I own any of the rest of the games on the hit list. Ah well.
Edited by Shellshocker18, Nov 23 2016, 09:30 AM.
Posted Image

Shellshocker18
Member Avatar
The Shockmaster
Dang Italia's knocking them out fast now. The beat 'em all may be coming to a close very soon at this rate! While can't say much about the game itself, I have played NASCAR 99 and I was surprised too at how bad the graphics were. Ive also never watched NASCAR myself but I can imagine how intense it must be for the drivers. Seems like one of the scariest sports to participate in.
Posted Image

Shellshocker18
Member Avatar
The Shockmaster
Anyone else know that feeling when you play Golden Nugget for 6 straight hours? Didn't think so. Stay tuned for when I cash in my million all at once. I want you all to experience the magic with me.
Posted Image

Shellshocker18
Member Avatar
The Shockmaster
One of the hardest games on the console taken down as I've completed Golden Nugget 64 after 6 hours of pure hell. Since I don't have a turbo controller I had to tap the A button for 6 whole hours :dance:

To celebrate (and because I thought it was funny) I shot video proof of my "achievement". 17 Minutes worth of me cashing in my money whilst rambling about the game, my experience, and my future endeavors.

I recommend watching if these things interest you

1. My Voice
2. My Name
3. My unkempt mug in the reflection of my tv
4. A dry semi-humorous voice. Well it makes me laugh anyway

I do mention at the end of the video that I didn't receive a notification of reaching the 1 Million Dollar Mark and achieving the highest rank but I looked at the games leaderboards and I'm listed under veteran so that's proof of me beating the game fully.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Shellshocker18
Member Avatar
The Shockmaster
If somebody has a high quality gif of that I gladly would wear it for a while. I still like my Turtle tank so I'll keep it. Fits the Shellshock name, plus it's from one of my favorite games. Perfect fit

Edit: I'll make a gif for it right now
Edited by Shellshocker18, Jan 5 2017, 02:20 PM.
Posted Image

Shellshocker18
Member Avatar
The Shockmaster
Hey I think it looks pretty cool. Sucks I couldn't find any higher quality footage of the coins but oh well.

Really great thing about being apart of this community is that I don't have to struggle with coming up with custom names.

Posted Image

Hopefully this one won't take too long to beat once I get ahold of the controls. I'm just trying to beat the basic training missions right now and they are proving to be quite hard with these controls.
Edited by Shellshocker18, Jan 5 2017, 04:26 PM.
Posted Image

Shellshocker18
Member Avatar
The Shockmaster
Whoops sorry I didn't mention that. It's Worms Armageddon.
Posted Image

Shellshocker18
Member Avatar
The Shockmaster
This avatar does look pretty cool. I just wish it wasn't a reminder of 6 hours of mind numbing agony :lol:

I'm chipping away at Worms. There is a surprising amount of single player here with 33 total single player mission. I beat 10 last night and most of them were easy except for the 1st and 10th missions. The first was only hard because I didn't know you can backflip to reach high areas and I didn't understand the rope physics. Heck I still don't get the rope physics and tutorials for the rope don't exist, I assume because it's supposed to be fool proof, but I'm sure having a hard time.

The hardest was mission 10 though which took me an hour, but actually has an easy solution that takes only like 1 minute >_< Don't you hate when that happens.

Posted Image

This is from the pc version because one problem with the n64 version is that the camera is really zoomed in and as far as I know you can't zoom the camera out with means you have to constantly scroll it with c-buttons or analog stick. It doesn't even manually follow your worm. Anyway in mission 10 you have to kill the captain buried under the left dinosaur. He constantly calls in air strikes while his soldiers bombard you with grenades. If you do kill all his soldiers and blast away the dinosaur bits to get to him, he will aim perfectly placed bazooka shots and kill you instantly everytime. The easy way to kill him is to use a mole digger to create a path to him, then drop a proximity mine down, like in the screenshot above. The mine will explode creating a hole and he will drown killing him instantly. You can't control the mole bomb once you set it off and most of the time it randomly changes direction and usually turns around and explodes on me. I figured out how it works eventually but this game is ridiculously finicky if you don't know what you're doing which makes the lack of good tutorials even more frustrating.
Posted Image

Shellshocker18
Member Avatar
The Shockmaster
I was looking through the list of games yet to be beaten to see if there was anything left I could do. I unfortunatley don't know how to play football so I can't really help out on the sports games, but I did see a few games I could do. So I looked it up and it turns out that Transformers Beast Wars is super short and has no unlockable content so all I had to do was take 20 minutes to beat the arcade mode. I decided to go for the extra final boss by not losing any previous rounds for good measure. Check out the epic final battle here

This did end up taking about an hour as some cheecky monkey decided to leave the difficulty on very hard, which makes the enemies do all these cheap running around in circle methods which made the final boss basically impossible. But I lowered difficulty and it really only took 10 minutes.

Bam! published another supposedly crappy game that I might get around to later if no one else claims it.
Edited by Shellshocker18, Jan 7 2017, 08:16 PM.
Posted Image

Shellshocker18
Member Avatar
The Shockmaster
So about 5 or 6 hours of Worms Armageddon progress is gone much to my dismay. I was getting ready to play mission 20, but then it tells me to go to training first.I looked and the team I was using for the single player missions is gone. I don't even understand how it happened because I can't find a way to delete teams from the mission menu so it couldn't have been me doing it on accident. But the other team I was using for practicing in multiplayer is still there for some reason so it couldn't have just been a random fit of data corruption. I'm so peeved right now

Well I found out that if you copy and make backups of your teams that they retain the data from the original team. So I just have to make backups after every mission so my paranoia of having to replay mission is subsided a little, unless all my data disappears somehow.
Edited by Shellshocker18, Jan 9 2017, 03:44 AM.
Posted Image

Shellshocker18
Member Avatar
The Shockmaster
Well, after a couple more frustrating progress halting issues and some mild temper tantrums I have completed the main game of Worms Armageddon. I was going to make some big fake war speech about how a Turtle gone slot machine, a buff Italian stud, and plump blue dog, a hungry black cat, a gremlin with a lightsaber who is a fan of spy kids 3-d, and James Bond put all their differences aside to fight the worm menace, but I am way too tired to put thought into anything right now. Just let it be known that you were the finest squad I've ever had the honor of fighting with.

Posted Image

"Oh but Shellshocker you didn't beat the special mission"
Well to that I say look at this freaking mission

Posted Image
Yeah It looks cool and all but I am so done with this game right now. I beat it. I'm done. It's my nap time. Tomorrow I'm playing Sin & Punishment.

Edited by Shellshocker18, Jan 10 2017, 07:36 AM.
Posted Image

Shellshocker18
Member Avatar
The Shockmaster
Excellent wordplay chum! The world always needs more cat videos so fell free to upload.

The reason I was so tired is that the second to last mission, Goody two shoes, is one of the hardest in the game and I beat it in a couple tries, then my data disappeared before I could save and make backups of my progress so I had to do it again. But for some reason the second time through took like an hour longer than I was expecting because I kept dying. I just couldn't go to sleep until it was done.
Posted Image

Shellshocker18
Member Avatar
The Shockmaster
Well I took a break from this to play some good games but I'm going to get back into it again. Supposedly Mortal Kombat Mythologies is one of the worst games of all time and the n64 version doesn't even have to hilariously bad cutscenes that the ps1 version has. Also this isn't some game I can breeze through like Golden Nugget. The game is said to be 6-10 hours of pure hell so to spare someone else the misfortune I will carry that burden onto myself.
Posted Image

Shellshocker18
Member Avatar
The Shockmaster
So something about Mk Mythologies. The game has 5 difficulties. Very easy, easy, medium, hard and very hard. I played the first 2 levels on easy difficulty but then I got curious and messed with the other difficulties and could tell no difference between very hard and easy. On very easy the enemies don't even fight you which is funny but honestly fighting the enemies is the only part of this game that's any fun.

Anyway, in the options you can increase the amount of Lives and Continues you have at the start of the game. The game defaults to medium difficulty which gives you a maximum of 6 extra lives and 4 continues ( which means you have 5 sets of lives ) for a total of 30 lives. Sounds like a lot but in this game that is nothing.

Here's the funny thing. The game doesn't tell you that when you lower the difficulty you can go to the extra lives and continues to raise them even higher. It doesn't do it automatically, so I discovered that on complete accident. On very easy and easy you can set the extra lives to 12 and 8 continues ( 9 sets of lives ) for a total of 96 lives... I wish I had known that earlier. What I was doing before was playing the game and dying constantly until I knew exactly how to beat the level, then resetting the game so it didn't save any of my deaths, and beating it in as few deaths as possible so I could save my lives for the later stages.

I had to restart and play level 1 and 2 again but with more than 3 times the lives this game just became a lot less tedious... but that's not saying much. This game still has very few checkpoints, a terrible camera, and tons of instant kill traps and terrible platforming as I'm sure you are all aware. Level 2 is the most infamous level in this game with the inconsistent wind, collapsing platforms, the fan room where you have to kill a guy through a solid wall in order to escape, and what most people consider the hardest boss in the game who insta kills you if you don't crouch next to that wall after you beat him. Absolutely infuriating. Thankfully I've seen a lot of this game so im aware of some of the traps but even when you know they are there the controls are so weird it's possible to still die.
Edited by Shellshocker18, Jan 17 2017, 04:47 AM.
Posted Image

Shellshocker18
Member Avatar
The Shockmaster
I'll go more into this when I make my final post for this game but I'm starting to realize this game isn't nearly as bad as everyone says. In essence the problem is that the gameplay is based on trial and error but on normal diffculty, since most players pick normal by default, they don't have nearly enough lives to succeed on the first playthrough. This game still has tons of flaws but I'm starting to understand why it actually has a fan base.
Edited by Shellshocker18, Jan 16 2017, 07:42 AM.
Posted Image

Shellshocker18
Member Avatar
The Shockmaster
So this game can't be beat on easy or very easy. Access to levels 6,7, and 8 is denied... :facepalm: I've been trying to be positive but it just gets worse and worse...

I guess I'm back to square one on normal and my strategy of resetting the game if I die too much. I guess it won't take too long because I've mastered the first 5 levels at this point.
Edited by Shellshocker18, Jan 17 2017, 04:40 AM.
Posted Image

Shellshocker18
Member Avatar
The Shockmaster
So sorry this took so long. My Internet has been down all day so I had to upload and resize these images telepathically with the shellshocker brain2web tube which is a fiddly piece of crap. But anyway I beat Mortal Kombat Mythologies. After 2 restarts I'd say the game took 8ish hours to complete with some walkthrough help.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

I did say I would say something positive didn't I. Well starting with negatives, its trial and error gameplay, bland level design, a camera that is zoomed it too far so you have to make leaps of faith, and way too many secret areas that are impossible to find, and traps that can't be predicted. You also don't have enough lives to ever beat the game on a first playthrough and if you lower the difficulty the final 3 levels can't be accessed. The final boss can't even be fought if you don't have enough xp.

However, once i got to grips with the controls, the combat, and learned the traps, it was okay. A second playthrough of this game would be much easier and far less tedious but if the first playthrough sucks for 99% of players then that means the game is bad as far as I'm concerned though it can still be enjoyable once you're good at it, then again i could say thay about any game. Really, even once I got good enough to not die constantly, it still wasn't all that good so a second playthrough isn't something I'd consider. I think the game has great potential as a speed run game more than anything, but for anyone looking for a fun time, just stay away. I would have typed more good stuff about this game but my brain hurts. Just know it's not as irredeemable as people say, but the first playthrough sucks so bad it's not worth it.
Edited by Shellshocker18, Jan 17 2017, 04:35 PM.
Posted Image

Shellshocker18
Member Avatar
The Shockmaster
Haha so I've been even informed by BDR that I completed another N64 beat'em all game by total accident being the excellent Japanese Life Simulation Rpg Wonder Project J2. So here is a copy pasted post I made about the game from the Play an N64 game thread where you can track many of my other n64 escapades.

italia64
Dec 12 2016, 03:54 PM
I played Wonder Project J2 too, translated in English. I just tried it and it's very interesting. I was already well informed about this game and I love its style.
It looks a Miyazaki work.
I know this was about a month ago but I just beat the game 100% after about 12 hours of playing. Games like this are part of the reason I'm glad I got hooked to N64, because otherwise I may have never went out of my way to experience it.
Posted Image
Posted Image

It is a weird game since it was obviously only intended to be played by mostly Japanese people, but that doesn't discount it from being a game I can appreciate. The slow pace of it all was pretty relaxing but then it slowly gets darker and darker and by the end things are actually very intense and it got me invested before I became too bored with the normal routine of making Josette pick things up and walking to every location in town multiple times. There is a lot of practice needed to understand what to do sometimes it's easy to get completely stumped because some things only make sense in hindsight. The alternate first person gameplay sections come into the game very late and can sometimes feel slow and grindy. Sometimes progress is so slow you may feel like you're making none at all but then every important event happens right in a row. It's not a game I would ever want to play the whole way through again and depiste several hours of tedium the game always made up for it other some great scenes with the characters.

The 2d artwork is some of the very best on the console even if most of the backrounds and characters outside of Josette don't have much animation and I think the reason is that the game uses textures instead of sprites, that's just a guess though.. Everything is smooth, with bright colors and and no visual clutter. The music is some of the best on the system too and knowing that the composer died shortly after composing for the game and that the studio who developed the game was shut down made playing it a bit of a somber experience because you can tell the people behind the Wonder Project series really cared about it. It's a real gem but the gameplay could turn some people away. I'd still recommend everyone at least give it a try because it's one of the most unique experiences the console has to offer
Posted Image

Shellshocker18
Member Avatar
The Shockmaster
So I spent the past 2 nights finishing off the final 2 fighting games on the hit list.

Powerpuff Girls Chemical X-traction
Spoiler: click to toggle

and Mace The Dark Age
Spoiler: click to toggle

By the way my favorite part of Mace The Dark Age is the controller on the controls screen
Posted Image

It's uhh... a little... special. Is this some sort of rare prototype? Hey here's a cool thread idea. Compile a list of every game that shows an image of an n64 controller and rank them for accuracy. This one has to be at the bottom right?

Posted Image

Shellshocker18
Member Avatar
The Shockmaster
Trust me I died 5 times until I learned Al' Rashid could spam tornados. Even then I had to run the time out to win some fights because the AI is perfect at blocking and countering. The computer opponents are really unfair in Mace so don't feel bad if you suck at it. Glad I gave you some good memories with my Worms Armageddon post. It's much funnier to name Worms after people you know. Also glad to see someone tackling the wrestling games because I suck at them. I couldn't get past the first opponent in No Mercy.

Oh yes and I'm going to claim Nuclear Strike because I'd imaging the game is long enough that it will take me a couple days to beat
Edited by Shellshocker18, Jan 24 2017, 08:12 AM.
Posted Image

Shellshocker18
Member Avatar
The Shockmaster
I'm about halfway through Nuclear Strike 64 right now since I just beat the 3rd scenario out of the supposed 6, so hopefully that one will be done by the end of the day. I'm playing the game on easy, naturally, and Italia said that the game is very repetitive and I agree that it is at first but the mission structure and objectives actually differ a lot between levels. It does have a learning curve and I failed many of the early missions before I figured things out. The map screen tells you exactly where all enemies, ammo, health, and allies are and once you figure out how to set a waypoint, by exiting the menu while highlighting a certain objective or target, it becomes much easier to keep track of everything. That and strafing is much faster and more fuel efficient as well as quickly picking up targets in your helicopter much easier, meaning you get shot less and waste less fuel.

There is a trick where you move towards an enemy, shoot it, then backaway before it can aim at you it will never even fire at you which make this game very easy, also if you raise your helicopter to a higher elevation, such as flying over a hill, you can outrange the enemies and just shoot them while they don't even notice you. Combine this with 3 lives per level and plenty of health, missles, and armor items this game is pretty much a cakewalk once you figure out the objective, although sometimes those aren't super clear until you fail a few times. Thank goodness I live in the age of internet walkthroughs
Posted Image

Shellshocker18
Member Avatar
The Shockmaster
God Speed Italia. Everyone left after the fun games were gone, meanwhile Italia is left to solider on thorough the sports games. You deserve a badge of honor. On a somewhat related note I will attempt both the Bowling games left at some point, so if someone wants to claim either of those you may want to do that right away.
Posted Image

Shellshocker18
Member Avatar
The Shockmaster
Apparently Nuclear Strike only had five scenerios, at least for the N64 and PlayStation versions
Posted Image

"Thank you for playing Strike Gear? We know you have a choice of many games to play and we appreciate your taking the time to play ours"

Also when you fail a mission in this game it calls it a snafu which is one of those words like bamboozled that just can't be used in any serious context
Posted Image

Shellshocker18
Member Avatar
The Shockmaster
Super Bowling is done. The way I beat the game was by completing the acquisition mode, whereby you unlock characters and lanes by winning a best 2 out of 3 Bowling match with an opponent. Very easy and only took me an hour and a half to unlock all 6 unlockable characters and lanes.

If you throw the ball in the same way everytime, the pins will always do the same animation, so it doesn't have a realistic physics engine for the pins as Brunswick Pro Circut Bowling but the pins do still feel like they react as they should. The accuracy meter you see in most Bowling games is here but it takes some time getting used to because it moves so quickly but once you do this game is very easy. The n64 has 3 different Bowling games all with different strengths and weaknesses but I'd say this one is my favorite for how easy and relaxing the music is. The game also has golf type mode where you are scored based on how many throws it takes you to clear certain pin setups and in the multiplayer you can fight to drain your opponents health by bowling better than them so it's got some nice game mode variety too.

Posted Image
Posted Image
The game has some weird characters and lanes too. The river lane is cool because the lane starts in grass, then drops down into a river where the pins are and there are rocks on the sides so a gutter ball is impossible. Very unique lane type.
Posted Image
Posted Image

I'm still working on Brunswick Pro Circuit Bowling, that might take a while because this game is heavily reliant on luck because the pins are so realistic. Every time I think I have a method for getting strikes down it stops working and the game expects you to score in the high 200's just to qualify for the tournament finals. It really was made for pros.
Edited by Shellshocker18, Jan 30 2017, 02:40 AM.
Posted Image

ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Create your own social network with a free forum.
Learn More · Register Now
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Gaming & General Nintendo 64 Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: