Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
COUNTERFEIT E3 1997 controllers are a reality
Topic Started: Sep 4 2013, 11:53 AM (22,755 Views)
jonebone
Member Avatar
Well I did not wish to mention him by name because I did not want anyone to insult him or send him hate mail. I believe he's an honest guy who truly doesn't see any problem with his decision, even though every owner of a legitimate controller would disagree, and probably anyone who could ever possibly be in the market for one. No one wants to see more fakes, even if it is argued this particular controller is for personal use and would never "be in the market".

People that have written these off just aren't comfortable with their own eye, and I understand that. You have to hold a real one to understand. No matter good the fake is, if you hold it next to a real one the differences will immediately be known.

To DDR, you can remove "believe" from your posts. You don't have to "believe" they are real or "believe" they have value, yours ARE real and DO have value. The real ones are easily identifiable to a trained eye and the original ones were purchased long before fakes were in the market. That gives verifiable legitimate subjects for comparison. We may see different fakes over time, but I'm confident we'll be able to distinguish them as they appear.

Also, I can spot at least 3 key differences in the fake controller above, without needing to hold it in hand. Please don't elaborate on them in this thread, but the point is that the fake is easily identifiable as such to a trained eye. I'd say it is better than the GT fakes, but still has significant flaws.
Edited by jonebone, May 23 2016, 08:14 AM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

No64DD
Member Avatar
Neva wizard Kee
Having one of the original controllers that started the catalyst to proving legitemacy, i cannot deny that there is a subculture of wanting to own one that was inadvertantly created because of the attention and tension it created.
Because of this i can agree with the reason to own one real or not!
Some do not want to pay the high cost. But it is a cost that is justified given that there are only a Baker's Dozen in the hands of collectors.

Edited by No64DD, May 24 2016, 06:08 AM.
A Secret star
lie here~

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

No64DD
Member Avatar
Neva wizard Kee
I also mean well. To each his own i guess.
Edited by No64DD, May 24 2016, 07:54 PM.
A Secret star
lie here~

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

SoloJones64
Established Member
ddr2nite
May 23 2016, 07:47 AM
@jonebone - I'm glad I was not the only person to immediately have an internal conflict when I saw that person (also a member here on our forum) post pictures of his fake E3. I have personally sold a controller to him (an ASCII pad) and I'd agree with you that at the end of the day he didn't do this with any type of ill-intention.

HOWEVER

Just like you said, the publicity that this member is giving to counterfeits/fakes is not a good one. He's bringing a very negative event back up from the dead and may give some people ideas about profiting from this market. Whether he can justify owning a replica in his own collection is up to him, but as a collector & owner of not just 1 but 2 of these controllers which I believe to be REAL, I find it quite unsettling to say the least.

Quote:

If you cannot spot this as a fake, please do not buy one without a confirmed chain of legitimate owners, or without speaking to confirmed owners regarding authenticity.
I agree with every word here and truly believe that there is value to the real authentic E3 controllers - and that their owners should be proud to have the TRUE holy grail of N64 controllers.
Yeah I had not considered helping out scammers when I posted the controller. But I did make it known on the post that it was fake. I have honestly given up on finding a real one so I just wanted one for display purposes. I would never scam anyone, especially as an avid collector who loves the n64 above all other consoles. The controller is strictly for display. I can remove the posts if everyone thinks that would help.
No64DD
May 23 2016, 10:27 PM
I also mean well. To each his own i guess.
I dont particularly see the difference between this and the franken controller put together by an admin here to look like the prototype purple controller with the clear back of a japanese controller and the atomic purple controller.
Edited by SoloJones64, May 27 2016, 09:16 PM.

No64DD
Member Avatar
Neva wizard Kee
I understand where you're coming from.
There are still certain distinctions between live and post concept controllers. In a manner of speaking.

The truth lay in the eye of the beholder.
Edited by No64DD, May 27 2016, 09:35 PM.
A Secret star
lie here~

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

SoloJones64
Established Member
No64DD
May 27 2016, 09:29 PM
I understand where you're coming from.
There are still certain distinctions between live and post concept controllers. In a manner of speaking.

The truth lay in the eye of the beholder.
So I'm gathering that the issue isn't that I had a fake made but that I posted about it.

Strider
Member Avatar
Established Member
jonebone
May 23 2016, 08:12 AM
Well I did not wish to mention him by name because I did not want anyone to insult him or send him hate mail. I believe he's an honest guy who truly doesn't see any problem with his decision, even though every owner of a legitimate controller would disagree, and probably anyone who could ever possibly be in the market for one. No one wants to see more fakes, even if it is argued this particular controller is for personal use and would never "be in the market".

People that have written these off just aren't comfortable with their own eye, and I understand that. You have to hold a real one to understand. No matter good the fake is, if you hold it next to a real one the differences will immediately be known.

To DDR, you can remove "believe" from your posts. You don't have to "believe" they are real or "believe" they have value, yours ARE real and DO have value. The real ones are easily identifiable to a trained eye and the original ones were purchased long before fakes were in the market. That gives verifiable legitimate subjects for comparison. We may see different fakes over time, but I'm confident we'll be able to distinguish them as they appear.

Also, I can spot at least 3 key differences in the fake controller above, without needing to hold it in hand. Please don't elaborate on them in this thread, but the point is that the fake is easily identifiable as such to a trained eye. I'd say it is better than the GT fakes, but still has significant flaws.
I wanna buy one of these replica's, please have him contact me! im not paying or want an original. a replica is perfect for me!

MyBeefCakes
Member Avatar
Established Member
Wow this has been a fascinating read, didn't know until I joined this forum that this controller even existed, and would love to have one but super worried about legitamacy.

For 100% certainty of authenticity has anyone taken apart the controller and checked PCB? Does it have any print dates, codes etc, that aren't found on other batches of controllers?
NoPlaceLikeLocalHost

SgtRaven
ddr2nite
Nov 15 2013, 01:31 PM
mjwatts26
Nov 15 2013, 08:52 AM
The seller added a macro shot of just the logo since this was initially put up on eBay. The more I look at it, the more I question if it's a fake. The edges of the logo look slightly rounded. The only way to be 100% sure is to measure it.
Looking at the zoomed-in picture, I can 95% tell it's a fake. Just look at the trapezoid that's cut out. It does not have sharp edges and corners.

I wonder where this seller acquired it. The seller is based in Saint Paul, Minnesota (US). Also the listing has been ended, I wonder if someone reported it as a fake to EBay? Or maybe someone else bought it (god forbid) directly from the seller with a side offer?
Hey Guys,
Sorry to bring up an old thread. I posted early on in this thread as someone with a counterfeit and I can add at least a little more provenance on this controller.
The eBay listing from St. Paul is for the counterfeit controller I owned and purchased from GT. I sold it to a collector with full disclosure that it wasn't authentic.
I even showed him this thread. His intentions were to sell it to the World of Games owner as authentic to get back at him for some prior drama.

I didn't dig into the drama and I don't care. I bought it thinking it was authentic and sold it knowing it was fake. What the collector did with it after he bought it is not for me to instill any morals.
It looks as though it was successfully sold to World of Games. I am glad the first listing wasn't purchased and I have no idea if he relisted or what he did with it. I could probably message him and ask him.

I hope this helps a little in knowing the story with that controller. I only check these boards every couple of years so if anyone needs to get a hold of me my username (and now my relative location) is incredibly easy to dox. Just email me.

-Daniel

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
The ugly scourge of counterfeits is probably the main reason why I got out of collecting. It's an issue within Nintendo 64 collecting circles to be sure but it's an even bigger problem with other consoles like the Neo-Geo. Here's an informative article from the New Yorker that I believe some here will find informative and somewhat relevant.

The Unexpectedly High-Stakes World of Neo Geo Collecting

With knockoffs coming from China, France and Germany now the world of video game collecting has become very high-stakes indeed. :-/
"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." - Arthur Schopenhauer

Posted Image

bluedogrulez
Member Avatar
Racing for Fulcon Capital
I was really discouraged to see FAKES of some of my pricier NES and SNES titles being sold on eBay for a 1/3rd of the price. Counterfeiters :nope:
Switch Friend Code: SW-0786-9287-1202 (bluedogBDR)
MK8Deluxe Tourney: N64Forever.com 2332-7277-8283
Nintendo Network ID: BDR2010 / Twitter: @bluedogrulez
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Shellshocker18
Member Avatar
The Shockmaster
I was just going through the banned users list a few days ago for funsies and this thread was very captivating to read. I do feel bad that counterfeit video games and accessories are so commonplace because it turns so many people away from a usually fun hobby. It's crazy that people like mr Gt550 are trying to make good money off these things that are so frivolous in the end. Though I very much enjoy seeing counterfeiters getting exposed. I'd watch a whole documentary of these kinds of things if there was one
Edited by Shellshocker18, Jan 28 2017, 04:58 PM.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
It's not just happening in the world of video games.

China: Faking It
"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." - Arthur Schopenhauer

Posted Image

DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · Collecting · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: