Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
The Wii U Topic
Topic Started: Jun 19 2011, 06:14 PM (20,385 Views)
ItalianBaptist
Member Avatar
Iíve had way too much time to think about my experiences with the Wii U, but it has mostly been positive. At the end of the day Iím not gonna get rid of it because all of the purchases iíve made on it are from the eShop so iíd be throwing that money away.

I invested way too much in the Smash for Wii U scene. I didnít have the skills or the money to make it a feasible full time hobby but Iíve made some great friends along the way. As noted earlier, I sold my gamepad separately last Christmas which was kinda dumb because now I need to borrow a friendís in order to delete stuff from the memory or access any of the other options like White Falcon said. Another friend from churchís Wii U console got messed up but apparently the gamepadís fine so iím hoping to trade for it.

Everybodyís raving about Odyssey but the switch isnít coming anytime soon. So iím curious to play Super Mario 3D world instead if I get another gamepad. There are some other really good games for the system that I canít trade in (digital) that iím excited to rediscover, like Mario Kart 8 and Pokken. Also thereís the so bad theyíre good cheapo indies like The Letter that most likely wonít make it to the Switch.

Edit: Forgot the main reason I posted. My NNID is Geek4Jesus if anyone here wants to add me :)
Edited by ItalianBaptist, Nov 3 2017, 06:20 AM.
It must be exciting to never have played a Zelda game before - No64DD
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

ItalianBaptist
Member Avatar
5 months later...

I finally bit the bullet and traded in the Wii U. The emotional baggage of the whole Smash for Wii U experience, coupled with the fact that I would have had to buy extra controllers to get the most out of multiplayer, finally made the decision for me.

ďRegretĒ is too simplistic of a word for how I feel about the time and money I invested in the console. At the end of the day, though, N64 is the system for me and Iíd like to believe Iíve learned something from this experience :p

bluedogrulez
Member Avatar
Racing for Fulcon Capital
Sorry to hear it but hope you gain closure. With every re-release (in deluxe!) on Switch, my Wii U collection appears to be more and more superfluous. If there are no unique experiences to be had, then what is the point? I really thought Captain Toad would remain part of the Wii U-exclusive legacy, but I was wrong. Only a handful left . . . .

. . . . a guess the fact that the Switch is so far superior to the Wii U is really the saving grace here. If it was an inferior system, I might really be inconsolable!
Switch Friend Code: SW-0786-9287-1202 (bluedogBDR)
MK8Deluxe Tourney: N64Forever.com 2332-7277-8283
Nintendo Network ID: BDR2010 / Twitter: @bluedogrulez
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Cabanon
Elite
do they plan to re-release DK:TF on the Switch or any WiiU games to Virtual Console ? there's maybe 3-4 games that I'd like to play one day but I can't justify the console price + game price yet.

ItalianBaptist
Member Avatar
If I recall, Tropical Freeze is being rereleased on Switch too. Basically if you want to experience the best the Wii U had to offer, get a switch :)

buddy1983
Member Avatar
Veteran
Its a real shame, still love my Wii U though :D
Youtube

Wii U user name: Read1ngFC (thats a one and not a i)

Switch friend code SW-4595-4819-7191

UK resident

Posted Image

I'm currently playiing triangle in a reggae band. I just stand in the back and Ting

Shangyou
Member Avatar
Dreamwalker
I'm already getting a Switch but I still want a Wii U though! Isn't the Wii U the only way to play Wii games with HDMI output without requiring a 3rd party video adapter on the original Wii? There are still plenty of great Wii games that I want to replay (and haven't played yet) so I'll definitely be wanting a Wii U for that.

It's funny how I use my Wii to play GameCube games with component video output, and the GameCube is great for playing Game Boy games on the TV hahaha... it seems like all I ever use my Nintendo consoles for is for backwards compatibility. That's probably what makes collecting for the N64 so unique though because no other console is backwards compatible with it. :n64:

Edit: Speaking of backwards compatibility, have any of you guys played Super Mario 64 DS on the 3DS? Compared to playing it on the original DS's D-pad, the 3DS analog stick makes the controls feel GLORIOUS!
Edited by Shangyou, Mar 12 2018, 05:03 PM.
Posted Image

Shellshocker18
Member Avatar
The Shockmaster
I used to make action codes for Mario 64 DS when I was like 10. I don't know how I was smart enough to do that. I always prefer the N64 version controls, physics, and visuals, but I'm used to both because I played them both dozens of times. The debates I've seen over which version has better controls have gotten so heated it's ridiculous, people employing scientific method and stuff.

People always compliment the 3DS circle pad on that game, even though it still only registers 8 directions. Maybe it just feels nicer to people
Edited by Shellshocker18, Mar 13 2018, 01:52 AM.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

The Red Shadow
Member Avatar
The Seeker
Question for those who have or did have a Wii U at some point: Is it worth getting a Pro Controller? I haven't yet had the Gamepad in my hand so I don't know how I'll like it but almost every game I have picked up so far allows for Pro Controller use so I'm tempted. I guess my real question would be just how important/helpful/innovative the Gamepad is for most games. I know that's a broad question so I understand if it comes down to personal opinion. I'm just seeing the Nintendo brand Pro Controllers reaching over $100 on some sites and I want to grab one before they become scarce and/or overly expensive unless there is a good argument against playing with one at all.

EDIT: It would appear that everyone I could find that was selling official Wii U Pro Controllers for around $50 were out of stock. Looks like I'm going to take a chance on something that might not be official on eBay but is only $15. If it works then I won't be bothered if it isn't Nintendo official. If it doesn't work then I'll hopefully know that within time to return it for a refund and not a few months down the road.
Edited by The Red Shadow, Mar 22 2018, 05:17 PM.

ItalianBaptist
Member Avatar
The official pro controller was one of my favorite things about the system actually. So much better than either iteration of the Wii Classic Controller, not just because it doesn't attach to the remote but because it just feels amazing. If I had bothered to keep the extra pro controllers I had instead of trading them in first, I probably wouldn't have gotten rid of the system.

Gamestop has pre-owned ones for about $48 - I would go in and ask if I could open the bag and check them out because they may be messy but they may also be in fantastic condition. I have a good relationship with the guys at my local Gamestop so they let me check out the product like that before I buy.

For me they even felt better than even the Gamecube controller for Smash Bros, and had the virtue of being usable in more than that one game. But because I was part of the competitive community I had an unnecessary bias against wireless controllers. It's been a learning experience :)
Edited by ItalianBaptist, Mar 22 2018, 06:39 PM.

bluedogrulez
Member Avatar
Racing for Fulcon Capital
@Red: IB makes some great points. There are a handful of games where the gamepad is essential (Captain Toad, Star Fox) but for games like Mario Kart, the gamepad offers nominal features and a Pro Controller is a far better option. Truly a great controller; not $100+ great, mind you. A $15 knockoff presents a decent risk/reward proposition, but $50 for a used one in solid condition is a great option too.
Switch Friend Code: SW-0786-9287-1202 (bluedogBDR)
MK8Deluxe Tourney: N64Forever.com 2332-7277-8283
Nintendo Network ID: BDR2010 / Twitter: @bluedogrulez
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

The Red Shadow
Member Avatar
The Seeker
I'm going with the $15 controller to start as it's less of a gamble as far as money paid. I checked to see if my local Gamestop had any of the used Nintendo Pro controllers but they were not available in my store to look over so I'll shelve that idea for now. Sounds like I should have had the foresight to grab one from Walmart when they got clearanced out last year. I mean, I did have every intention of getting a Wii U at the time. Hindsight, man. :facepalm:

kartmaster
Member Avatar
Coffee Drinker
The Wii U Pro controller is worth it. We never ended up needing more than one. But I used it a lot for Mario Kart, 3D World, and other games that were primarily TV.

I'm scared to buy more now because of all the knockoffs, they look so close to the originals I can't tell what's real.
Posted Image
Join in the N64 Forever MK64 Hotlap Competition!
Posted Image

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
I bought 2 official Nintendo brand Wii U Pro controllers, 1 white and 1 black, because I was able to get both below MSRP. It's the ideal input device for games like Mario Kart 8 and Pokken Tournament although I always play Sm4sh with the GameCube controller.
"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." - Arthur Schopenhauer

Posted Image

The Red Shadow
Member Avatar
The Seeker
My $15 Pro Controller arrived today and it is definitely a knock off but I'm willing to give it a go. If it works then I'm good. If not then I'll put in the footwork for a legit Nintendo brand controller. I'll report back with my findings once I get a chance to try it out.

Cabanon
Elite
stumbled across this and was wondering if you could be a good replacement to the WiiU Pro controller ?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/HORI-Pokken-Tournament-Pro-Pad-Pikachu-Limited-Edition-Controller-Nintendo-Wii-U/152961515353?hash=item239d377f59:g:uB8AAOSwlrBanhr-

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
The Hori Pokken Tournament Pro Pad is nice to have if you're a collector or if you need a controller with a cord to play the game with. However, I find that the official Nintendo brand Wii U Pro controller is excellent for Pokken since its wireless design is more practical, and also because I never plan to compete in a tournament.
"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." - Arthur Schopenhauer

Posted Image

Cabanon
Elite
good point. no idea how both play. I was just referring as a price point.

ItalianBaptist
Member Avatar
The Pokken pad only works with Pokken though, just like the GameCube adapter only works with Smash Bros.

At least, thatís how it is until you get to the switch and then I think you can use them both with whatever games you want :)

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
By the way, I played a few Friendly matches of Pokken Tournament on the Wii U today and had no problem finding opponents. In fact, I found adversaries much quicker than I usually do in Street Fighter V on the PS4 which I gotta admit surprised me a little. I would have thought all the PT enthusiasts would have moved on to the newer Switch version but apparently that isn't the case.

Posted Image

The White Falcon
Member Avatar
eStarland has the Pro Controllers in stock for $32.50, free standard shipping, if someone wants one. If somehow they did send a fake theyíd take it back pretty easily.

kartmaster
Member Avatar
Coffee Drinker
The Hori Battle Pads are pretty good I hear. Very Gamecube inspired and work with any game that would be compatible with the Classic Controller / Classic Controller Pro. (Plugs into Wiimote)

There may be a game that supports the Wii U Pro controller but not the classic controller... but I can't think of one.
Posted Image
Join in the N64 Forever MK64 Hotlap Competition!
Posted Image

« Previous Topic · Other Video Games · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: