Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
The VGA Topic; Grading Items and Graded Items
Topic Started: Sep 1 2012, 02:16 AM (1,680 Views)
ddr2nite
Member Avatar
Controller Collecting Extraordinaire
I don't believe anyone has started a VGA discussion thread on our forums yet, so I'll take the liberty to getting the ball rolling since I know some people have VGA items. We could use this topic to discuss questions relating to graded items (how much they are worth, etc.) and to also help answer any VGA related questions. I think it would also be a good place to post pictures if you'd like to show a particular VGA item you own in your collection.

I never thought I would have VGA graded items, but I submitted my 7 blister-sealed controllers to VGA about 1 month ago to get graded and put into an acrylic case. I didn't particularly care about the grades - although I was curious how they would grade it since I've never seen another graded N64 sealed controller. I mainly wanted to get them in custom-built cases so that I wouldn't damage the frail plastic packaging. The highest grade I got was a Gold 85+ on my Ice and the lowest grade I got was a Bronze 70 on my Jungle (all others were Silver between 75 to 85).

Posted Image

Enjoy the pictures, click the "spoiler" below to see the links for more pics ^_^
Spoiler: click to toggle

p.s. If you're wondering why my Gold controller is missing from the pictures - good catch - it's because the acrylic case got damaged/cracked during shipping. I'm in the process of resolving it with VGA.
Posted ImageClick here to check out my N64 collection.
N64 Controllers: 30/30 Completed | ASCII Controllers: 15/15 Completed
N.A. Boxes: 8/8 Completed | Japan Boxes: 21/21 Completed
Full NTSC-J CIB Set: 198/198 Completed

"trust me, we all started with just one or two games
and then things kinda got out of hand
" - MK II
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

complyordie
Member Avatar
Established Member
Very nice, they look great! :yeah: how much did it cost you to grade them all?
Edited by complyordie, Sep 1 2012, 03:06 AM.
Looking to buy all Blister pack Controllers and Nintendo power Controllers, Hit me up!

finngamer
Member Avatar
Established Member
I sent my first items there a while ago, they take forever to turn around. And not cheap, even when put into standard cases, let alone custom ones.

Still, looking at the crazy eBay auctions for graded items, should be well worth it. Not that I'm selling.

I sent them SNES PAL F-Zero, NES USA Faxanadu and GBA EUR Tales of Phantasia, Metroid Fusion, Golden Sun The Lost Age and Final Fantasy VI. Going to be fun opening the package and seeing the grades, I'll do a full unboxing video of it.
The Collection: List , Video

Cabanon
Elite
very cool case. they look even more goergous

i8ablueskittle
and it tasted good...
Wow they look nice! I might have to copy you on this if i ever finish my blister set ;)
Does anybody have any idea if you could get a millenium or another unboxed controller graded?
Forever searching for 1080 Snowboarding and 1080 Avalanche items.
Love N64 Prototypes and Unreleased games.
PM me or email me at i8ablueskittle@gmail.com

zoki64
Member Avatar
Amazing looking display pieces :O Now I want to see a sealed jusco or daiei console vga graded :D
Posted Image

quagga
Member Avatar
ASDFGHJKL
put one of your controllers on ebay to see how much ppl would buy it for lol

ItsOnlyAFleshWound
Bloody hell they look amazing! i highly dout it but reckon they would grade a loose controller? as your faxdata ones ddr would look brilliant in those cases!

K87
Member Avatar
I don't see why they wouldn't if loose trading cards can get graded then loose controllers wouldn't be any diff

ddr2nite
Member Avatar
K87
Sep 4 2012, 08:50 PM
I don't see why they wouldn't if loose trading cards can get graded then loose controllers wouldn't be any diff
VGA grades two types of items. The first are the most commonly seen - which are all the factory sealed items. They've been doing this type of grading since they first started. Then more recently they introduced something called the "qualified" grading.

Straight from VGA's website ()
Quote:

VGA (Video Game Authority) for packaged and prototype video games and related items
- Standard Grading Scale for sealed/new in package video games, systems, and accessories from all years
- Qualified Grading Scale (items are accompanied by documentation) for opened package with new contents video games, systems and accessories from all years

So I'm not 100% certain that they'll grade loose controllers such as the Nintendo Power promo controllers. They've grade some interesting stuff over the past few years, such as the Nintendo World Championship cartridges and such. I would imagine it's only a matter of time before someone gets an E3 or Millennium 2000 controller graded (if they'll grade it).
Edited by ddr2nite, Sep 4 2012, 09:51 PM.

" - MK II

DeeMoney
Member Avatar
Outback Adventurer
Didn't someone here recently post a picture of a NES controller that was graded? Not sure if it was but I remember that it was sealed in a similar casing.
Nintendo Network ID - DeeMoney19
PSN Network ID - hallxx81xx
Xbox Live Gamertag - DeeMoney 2K19

Posted Image

ddr2nite
Member Avatar
DeeMoney
Sep 4 2012, 11:14 PM
Didn't someone here recently post a picture of a NES controller that was graded? Not sure if it was but I remember that it was sealed in a similar casing.
Not sure if it was here or not but the pic you're probably referring to is of a Nintendo World Championships controller that was graded. Those controllers were only given out to the winners I believe.

Here's a pic from Google:

Posted Image

" - MK II

DeeMoney
Member Avatar
Outback Adventurer
Yeah that's the one mate. You would think if they did this one that they would do others.

Posted Image

K87
Member Avatar
ddr2nite
Sep 4 2012, 09:50 PM
K87
Sep 4 2012, 08:50 PM
VGA grades two types of items. The first are the most commonly seen - which are all the factory sealed items. They've been doing this type of grading since they first started. Then more recently they introduced something called the "qualified" grading.

Straight from VGA's website ()
Quote:

VGA (Video Game Authority) for packaged and prototype video games and related items
- Standard Grading Scale for sealed/new in package video games, systems, and accessories from all years
- Qualified Grading Scale (items are accompanied by documentation) for opened package with new contents video games, systems and accessories from all years

So I'm not 100% certain that they'll grade loose controllers such as the Nintendo Power promo controllers. They've grade some interesting stuff over the past few years, such as the Nintendo World Championship cartridges and such. I would imagine it's only a matter of time before someone gets an E3 or Millennium 2000 controller graded (if they'll grade it).
Nice find DDR :yeah: It would be interesting to see if e3s and m2000s can get graded. If so imagine the prices that would be charged compare to what they are now :blink:

corE
Member Avatar
I might have missed it, if this question was answered, but how much does it cost to get a game or controller graded?

quagga
Member Avatar
ASDFGHJKL
corE
Sep 5 2012, 07:25 AM
I might have missed it, if this question was answered, but how much does it cost to get a game or controller graded?
depends on the urgentcy
not only urgentcy but the value of the item
they have a chart on their site (dont worry bout that)

for 2 months its like 30$
1 month is 50$ or something like that

vga cost alot
id only vga games if they are worth it

Edited by quagga, Sep 5 2012, 07:55 AM.

corE
Member Avatar
Does that include shipping, or is that extra?

quagga
Member Avatar
ASDFGHJKL
corE
Sep 5 2012, 07:38 AM
Does that include shipping, or is that extra?
i guess
u hav to ship the item it

and then the return shipping

ill link it to you

http://www.vggrader.com/submission_packagedpricing.aspx

cleftkirby
Member Avatar
Hey guys, do you think getting VGA or some equivalent company to grade your stuff is worth it? Googling around, I saw some indications that the whole thing is a scam. What are some opinions?
Posted Image

YogurtStorm
Member Avatar
Your mom is a nice lady
I would only VGA something by intention of displaying it on a shelf so it looks very clean, otherwise you're literally paying for flair!
Edited by YogurtStorm, Oct 6 2013, 07:45 PM.
My Youtube Channel: All game. No bla-bla. PS4 ShareFactory gameplay
Posted Image Home of Conker's Corner

DeeMoney
Member Avatar
Outback Adventurer
Opinions?? You'll get a few about VGA here, good and bad.

I just don't get the fact that they say that they are an authority on it. Who makes you an authority?? Just taking money to seal your games up and give them a grade. It seems to have been an easy way to make money for them.

That's just my opinion though :D

Posted Image

jonebone
Member Avatar
Only if it's really rare or Mint. VGA market is actually down right now since so many people were just grading to flip. I think prices will bottom out a bit before recovering.

If you live outside of the USA, I'd probably avoid it. You'll pay a ton in shipping and return shipping, and probably wait 3 months to get your stuff graded. They are pretty backed up right now.

buddy1983
Member Avatar
Veteran
How much does it cost?
Youtube

Wii U user name: Read1ngFC (thats a one and not a i)

Switch friend code SW-4595-4819-7191

UK resident

Posted Image

I'm currently playiing triangle in a reggae band. I just stand in the back and Ting

Cabanon
Elite
buddy1983
Oct 7 2013, 06:20 AM
How much does it cost?
it all depends on the game size, the shiping you use, the turnaround you use and the return shipping you use. I think it's around 50$ to grade something but i never used it so im not too sure.

Grading is very cool indeed, but like jonebone said, only if it's rare or Mint. no use to grade beat up sealed copy.

SicCooper
Member Avatar
Veteran
I am going to be sending a package of stuff in to get graded here soon. I have 15 items to send, and I live in the USA. It is going to cost me over $400 to do it all. I have some good stuff in there though, so I think it will be worth it. I am also not too worried about the grades that they receive, I am more interested in protecting them since I don't have any sort of display case that I can keep them safe.

Posted Image

TheJuice401
Member Avatar
id say its worth it for sure! just depends on the items. like i wouldnt spend 40$ to grade a game worth 40. id say it has to be worth at least 100$+ for it to be worth it IMO
Posted Image
wtb - really want an extreme green controller cib :/

SicCooper
Member Avatar
Veteran
For the cheapest grading (standard) its $25 per game, plus shipping, and if you are sending in a bunch of stuff, it makes it more worth it

Posted Image

Vinyl
Member Avatar
Veteran
Cabanon
Oct 7 2013, 08:20 AM
no use to grade beat up sealed copy.
Like this one =p

VGA is really intresting but I am scared that it will get dmg on the shipping, or you get disapointed when you send a perfect mint thing, and you get it back with rate "95"

I think think its a great "invention" of a Quality check.

Any example what a "95%" damage wize looks like? compare to 100?
https://www.consolevariations.com/
The Ultimate Console Database

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Cabanon
Elite
if you item get damage when you send it, thats your fault for not protecting it enough, use double box and lots of softening materials. if the case get damage on it's way back, you are protected by VGA and they will re-case it for free.

if you ever send something and get an 95 back, be :cussfit: proud of it ! dont wine because getting an 100 requires a shitload of very good packaging, manutention from everyone since it left the factory and even more from the store it came from after all these years. so yeah dont wine too much.

between 95 & 100 there's a very fine line and you rarely see 100 especially with cardboard box.

jonebone
Member Avatar
100 on cardboard is impossible, people who expect VGA 100 have no experience with the service. I've submitted 4 different factory cases of games (6 each) over the years and have yet to get anything better than 95. 95+ is virtually impossible, let alone 100.
Edited by jonebone, Oct 7 2013, 12:08 PM.

Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Collecting · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: