Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
New version of the GC style replacement stick released; most of previous issues addressed
Topic Started: Oct 18 2013, 06:40 AM (4,010 Views)
sanni
Member Avatar
Just a little heads up. There is an updated version of the gc style replacement stick that has a lot of it's previous issues fixed.
Posted Image
Sold here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/370791569409

If you have a way to test your controller (e.g. with the N64 ControllerTest rom) the easiest way to spot the new sticks is that they have 95 steps in each direction opposed to 88 like the old one. Another way is to look at the pcb, the new one has two "000" resistors instead of "103" connected to the middle pin of the potentiometer.

Changed compared to previous version
- 95 steps in each direction
- no skipping of steps anymore
- the smash attack in SSB works now
- the spin attack in Zelda works now

On the downside they still use the 38 potentiometer instead of the better 60 one. So you still got a deadzone on the outside, basicly it reaches the 95th step way before it reached the restrictor gate.

Old version:
Posted Image

New version:
Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image Posted Image Posted ImagePosted Image
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

mjwatts26
Member Avatar
Excellent, I think I'll give this a try. Thanks for posting this!

bluedogrulez
Member Avatar
Racing for Fulcon Capital
That is a GREAT find Sanni! Thanks for the info!
Switch Friend Code: SW-0786-9287-1202 (bluedogBDR)
MK8Deluxe Tourney: N64Forever.com 2332-7277-8283
Nintendo Network ID: BDR2010 / Twitter: @bluedogrulez
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
The competitive Super Smash Bros. community will be ecstatic! :w00t:
"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." - Arthur Schopenhauer

Posted Image

TNT737373
Member Avatar
Veteran
Thank you so much Sanni. I'll definitely be checking these out.

Coligion
Member Avatar
How does this revised version compare to Micro's PCB?

No64DD
Member Avatar
Neva wizard Kee
I understand the benefits of gamplay by upgrading with these thumbsticks, but aesthetically, it doesn't regain the same N64 controller "look". The COLLECTOR in me can't bring myself to switch styles...Even if i had a chance to own prototype controllers from 1995-1996, i would put the original analog stick in( if possible). So in keeping it OG; jumped in to HORIpad MINI64 controllers. They are such gems! Offering the best of both worlds...My reply on this topic is strictly "IMO" and not meant to deride.
A Secret star
lie here~

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Nuno
Member Avatar
Veteran
Well... a true collector/gamer will have plenty controllers, some with the "correct" look and others just optimized for war. That's how I do it :)

Acrof
Oh I so want to buy some of these. But this same seller seems so sell different kinds of sticks (different prices), how can I be sure he'll send the correct ones?

I dunno if I should buy them, or wait to get some boards from Micro so I can mod the cheapo GC sticks...

You see, I live in Brazil, and import taxes here are INSANE, like 80% of the price + shipping, and buying 4 sticks (I only have one controller lol) just to find later that they're the old, "bad" ones... Well, let's say I wouldn't be happy for the next few weeks. =/

I f*ckin love my 64, but haven't been able to play with it in years, my controller's stick renders it unplayable.
Controllers with tight thumbsticks are rare (or extremely expensive) down here....
Edited by Acrof, Nov 5 2013, 09:41 PM.

Estuary
Member Avatar
Nuno
Oct 22 2013, 09:38 AM
Well... a true collector/gamer will have plenty controllers, some with the "correct" look and others just optimized for war. That's how I do it :)
Agreed. As much as I love the original N64 controllers, I reserve my good controllers for games you need precision (e.g. Perfect Dark) and I'll play almost any other game with my replacement OEM style joystick. However I do think the GC style takes away from the look of the originals. Until I hear more about this version of it, I don't think I'll get it just yet, but who knows, hopefully its great :yeah:
Posted Image

shodoko
sanni
Oct 18 2013, 06:40 AM
On the downside they still use the 38 potentiometer instead of the better 60 one. So you still got a deadzone on the outside, basicly it reaches the 95th step way before it reached the restrictor gate.
Hi, could i replace the 38 potentiometer with this one? Do I have to modify anything else to get it to work properly?
(I will buy one that is not clickable compared to the one in the picture)
Posted Image
Edited by shodoko, Nov 10 2013, 07:38 PM.

sanni
Member Avatar
Yes that should work.
Posted Image

shodoko
sanni
Nov 11 2013, 03:43 AM
Yes that should work.
Thanks, I bought the new potentiometer and I will install it soon.
But I have another question:
My gc style replacement stick looks like this, it should be the new version?
Posted Image

When I'm testing it with my USB Adapter the movement looks like a square, bigger than the movement of the original Nintendo stick, which looks like a circle.
One resistor looks strange: "0" instead of "000"
is this already the new version?
Can I fix this somehow?
Edited by shodoko, Nov 20 2013, 08:43 PM.

sanni
Member Avatar
This should be one of the new revision. So all is good. The movement looking like a square is normal for this stick and not an issue, infact if you play Super Smash Bros it's very good because it will allow you to jump further.
Posted Image

shodoko
Yes, but in a lot of other Games, the precision is worse. E.g in racing games, it will steer max although I the stick is nearly half way from touching the edge of the case.
Would I get a (near) circle with "micro"'s circuit board? And is it still available?

Greetings and thanks for the fast reply :)

sanni
Member Avatar
shodoko
Nov 21 2013, 09:27 AM
it will steer max although I the stick is nearly half way from touching the edge of the case.
That is because of the 38 stick. Replacing it with the 60 stick should in theory resolve this issue.
Posted Image

shodoko
sanni
Nov 21 2013, 09:39 AM
shodoko
Nov 21 2013, 09:27 AM
it will steer max although I the stick is nearly half way from touching the edge of the case.
That is because of the 38 stick. Replacing it with the 60 stick should in theory resolve this issue.
Oh, then I should mod it as soon as possible :)
You seem to be from Germany, do you know where I can get other stickcaps, like the gamecube ones, which have some kind of rubber on the top, they are far better for a good grip. The ones that came with the replacement sticks are just made of plastic.

terzdesign
Dang. I'm interested in a couple of these as well. I wonder if they would sell me 1 or 2 only.

terzdesign
anybody have just 1 of these I could buy? I don't want to buy four.

sanni
Member Avatar
Just check the sellers other items, he also sells single thumb sticks
Posted Image

Nukkus
Member Avatar
sanni
Jan 8 2014, 10:22 AM
Just check the sellers other items, he also sells single thumb sticks
But he sells multiple types of single thumbsticks :<

Acrof
I NEED to know where I can buy the 60 potentiometer to mod these... I can't seem to find them ANYWHERE! Can someone please help me to find some?

shodoko
I replaced my 38 sticks with 60 sticks, but now I have another problem. For example in Mario 64: When I move the stick to the bottm right corner, Mario doesn'T run full speed, he's running a little bit slower...
Does anyone know, how to fix this?

sanni
Member Avatar
You also need to replace the microcontroller, see here: http://freneticrapport.blogspot.com.au/2014/10/n64-gc-replacement-stick-ic-swap.html
Posted Image

« Previous Topic · Modding, Repairs & Custom Projects · Next Topic »
Add Reply