Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
The Gamecube Topic; "Gamecube" or is it really the "N128" ?
Topic Started: Sep 15 2007, 10:16 PM (4,121 Views)
Gyllenhal
Member Avatar
I just sold my GC for $60 and now I want it back. Should I buy a new GC for $50 or just play the GC games on the Wii?
OMG LASER PEW PEW PEW
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Deleted User
Deleted User

Just play them on the Wii. You can use a gamecube controller and memory cards, and all the Gamecube games are compatible. Plus if you have a Wii component cable then the GC games are gonna look great! :)

If you have a Wii then there's really no need to own a Gamecube... unless you want to use the Game Boy Player, that is.
Quote Post Goto Top

Gyllenhal
Member Avatar
True thanks man :)
OMG LASER PEW PEW PEW

BetaWolf
Well, why do you want your Gamecube back? If it's because it had sentimental value, then getting a new one isn't going to remedy this. If you just prefer to play them on the Gamecube, wait until you can get one for about $20 or $30 bucks.
JadeYoshi from GameFAQs.

Deleted User
Deleted User

The big question: Wavebirds... where did they fly to?

Since Gamecube games are only playable on the Wii with a Gamecube controller (and not the rather nice Classic Controller) you'd think Nintendo might still make Gamecube controllers... but it seems not.

Every store I asked hasn't had any stock of Gamecube controllers for over a year (except crappy third party ones). Grrrr... Wavebirds seem to be especially hard to find, and even beat up ones fetch good prices on eBay.

Anyway, I just ordered a silver wavebird from Play Asia, since they seem to be the only place I can get a wavebird. A brand new one from them costs only a little more than price I'd pay for an unboxed used Wavebird in the UK! Is the US experiencing the same problem? This could just be a UK thing cos Gamecube bombed here a long time ago.

Darn the Wii's popularity! And the Gamecube's lack of it! :lol:
Quote Post Goto Top

Mr.378
Member Avatar
The Fallen Hero
I have one, lucky me.:lol:

Deleted User
Deleted User

I've got one too (and an official wired controller). But I want another Wavebird... just in case.
Quote Post Goto Top

Mop it up
Member Avatar
Forum Urban Legend
It might just be a UK thing, but I can't find a recent article about it. There was that fiasco back in February, where Perrin Kaplan announced that the GameCube was no longer in production, but then Nintendo confirmed that it actually was still in production. There's been no official word about the subject since then. There are still a couple of games coming out soon in America, so it might still be in production here. Maybe you could import a WaveBird?

Deleted User
Deleted User

I already have, buddy (see the first post). ^_^
Quote Post Goto Top

Mop it up
Member Avatar
Forum Urban Legend
It's early, I'm still tired.

So... is it coming from Japan?

Deleted User
Deleted User

Hong Kong. From:

http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-23-49-en-70-1xc.html
Quote Post Goto Top

Mop it up
Member Avatar
Forum Urban Legend
Wow! That thing is $40? That's more than it was when it was first released!

This part also sounds iffy:

Shipping as either Japanese or US version (whichever available)

But I guess it doesn't really matter what version you get.

So... do you think these controllers are still being produced, or is this just old stock?

Deleted User
Deleted User

Mop_it_up
Oct 2 2007, 06:47 PM
Wow! That thing is $40? That's more than it was when it was first released!

I guess that if nothing else, this shows the difference between US and UK prices. When wavebirds were released in the UK they cost 34.99 ($70 US)!

Mop_it_up
This part also sounds iffy:

Shipping as either Japanese or US version (whichever available)

Nah, that's fine, they're compatible regardless of what region they come from. The reason that sentence is in there is because Play Asia sell items from the US and Japan, but not all stuff is fully region free. If there's any regional compatability problems they tell you about it in the product description.

Mop_it_up
So... do you think these controllers are still being produced, or is this just old stock?

Not sure... they produced N64 stuff in Japan for a few years after N64 production halted. They maybe are still producing Wavebirds in Japan but just not shipping them elsewhere?
Quote Post Goto Top

dataDyne
Forum Dinosaur!
It seems really odd that Nintendo would suddenly stop producing GameCube controllers. If they were prepared to add backwards compatibility to the Wii, they should at least continue to produce a small number of GameCube controllers so those who never bought a GameCube but have a Wii can enjoy its backwards compatibility function.
Give this man a fish, and he can throw it up eleven times
-alxbly
PSN: LifeIsPreachy
Mario Kart Wii: 0088 - 2869 - 9843

floorcat
Member Avatar
Nintendo sixty-floorcat :P
Maybe things have changed in the last 6 or so months (likely)... or maybe things are just different here, but I didn't have much problem getting mine... I *think* the big discount retailers here (i.e. Target, Wal-Mart, etc.) might even still be selling them (@ ~29.99?). My local indy shop gave me mine (brand-new) for $25 and (used) for $20. This was a good 5+ months after the Wii was released, too. The damn things have yet to be used for more than 10 minutes. >_<
Now Playing: Clash Royale (mobile), Rayman Legends, Fat Princess Adventures, Project CARS, Uncharted 4 Survival Mode ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ

StYoung
Member Avatar
Elite
dataDyne
Oct 2 2007, 09:00 PM
It seems really odd that Nintendo would suddenly stop producing GameCube controllers. If they were prepared to add backwards compatibility to the Wii, they should at least continue to produce a small number of GameCube controllers so those who never bought a GameCube but have a Wii can enjoy its backwards compatibility function.

They should make a new white Wavebird that connects to the Wii wirelessly and just slap a Wii logo on it and some new packaging ...
dagoss,Nov 17 2007
05:13 PM
OMG, this is the best topic ever made. I nominate Steve for God!

dagoss
Member Avatar
Smarty Pants
StYoung
Oct 31 2007, 10:21 PM
dataDyne
Oct 2 2007, 09:00 PM

They should make a new white Wavebird that connects to the Wii wirelessly and just slap a Wii logo on it and some new packaging ...

I'm actually surprised there isn't a wireless classic controller.

Mr.378
Member Avatar
The Fallen Hero
alxbly
Oct 2 2007, 10:42 AM
I've got one too (and an official wired controller). But I want another Wavebird... just in case.

Me too.

Gaming Freak
Hardcore Gamer
I've got 2 Wavebirds that I got several years ago. They still work like they're brand new. Who knows, they could be worth a lot someday.

Gaming Freak
Hardcore Gamer
Why spend $50 on a gamecube. Seems like a waste to me...

dataDyne
Forum Dinosaur!
Gaming Freak
Nov 24 2007, 10:47 PM
Why spend $50 on a gamecube. Seems like a waste to me...

Well for somebody such as myself who has never owned a GameCube (and would like one) then I'd say it's one hell of a deal.
-alxbly

Deleted User
Deleted User

^ Gamecube is a great console. If you don't plan on getting a Wii any time soon, then you should definitely get a Gamecube. :)
Quote Post Goto Top

Mr.378
Member Avatar
The Fallen Hero
I may get a new GameCube sometime.

Gyllenhal
Member Avatar
Ya Gamecube is pretty good but it's NOT Nintendo's best system.
OMG LASER PEW PEW PEW

Mr.378
Member Avatar
The Fallen Hero
^That's either the NES,SNES, or Nintendo 64.

Gaming Freak
Hardcore Gamer
The Gamecube is a waste of money if you already have a Wii.

dataDyne
Forum Dinosaur!
Gaming Freak
Nov 26 2007, 09:23 PM

There's quite a few collectors on this board who would disagree with you. But for the average gamer you're definitely right in saying that.
-alxbly

Gaming Freak
Hardcore Gamer
dataDyne
Nov 26 2007, 08:42 PM
Gaming Freak

There's quite a few collectors on this board who would disagree with you. But for the average gamer you're definitely right in saying that.

I actually take back what I said earlier, because my statement totally contradicts itself, considering we've got 2 Gamecubes and a Wii spread across the household and make good use of all of them. The Wii is mine to play whenever I want in my room. My sister has one of the Gamecubes in her room so she can play her one player games there without having to use the Wii, because I use the Wii a lot. My divorced dad took the other Gamecube with him when he got kicked out of the house, and whenever I come to visit him we play SSBM. Plus, he's got a few games of his own that he occasionally plays.

Yep, our family's quite the gaming bunch. Surprisingly, all six of the people in my family like at least one video game and play it. The thing is, I'm the only true gamer in the family. I'm the one with all the gaming systems, while everyone else has like one or two, or even just plays on my systems. While like everyone will only play a couple hours of video games a week, I play much more than that.

My name's not Gaming Freak for nothing ;)

Mop it up
Member Avatar
Forum Urban Legend
Gaming Freak
Nov 26 2007, 11:23 PM

That's not entirely true. You still need a GameCube to use the Game Boy Player and a few other GameCube accessories.

Gameing Freak

My name's not Gaming Freak for nothing

So it has nothing to do with the company Game Freak? That's good news...

Deleted User
Deleted User

Mop_it_up
Nov 27 2007, 07:51 PM
Gaming Freak
Nov 26 2007, 11:23 PM

That's not entirely true. You still need a GameCube to use the Game Boy Player and a few other GameCube accessories.

Other accessories like the... ummm... errr... :P

dataDyne
Nov 27 2007, 05:42 AM
Gaming Freak

Truthfully, unless you want to use the GBA player there's not much point in owning a Wii and a Gamecube. Why would you need to? The Wii plays all the Gamecube games and it's compatible with all the accessories except the GBA player and the modem adapters.

If you don't own a Wii then grab a Cube NOW because the games are amazing!
Quote Post Goto Top

Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Other Video Games · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: