Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Removing Stickers off The N64 boxes.
Topic Started: Jan 7 2014, 04:42 PM (2,177 Views)
Spidercolt
Member Avatar
Mario Maniac
Ok so I just bought this Majora's Mask box for a price I have been looking for. Here are pics

Posted Image

Posted Image

As you can see there are stickers on it but the box is in great condition. So here is my question, I have a bottle of Goo Gone that we use for CDs and DVDs. If I put that on the sticker would it damage the box in any way? What is the best way to get these stickers off if it will?
Edited by Spidercolt, Jan 7 2014, 04:43 PM.
Get :n64: Or Get Out!

NTSC Collection: 81 Games
61 Cart Only
20 Complete In Box

GameCube: 78 Games Complete

My Collection

Nintendo Network ID: Spidercolt.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Conker69
use bestine on the sticker it works wonders ive used it on los of carts and game boxes even works great on sealed games
Just a simple guy with an average collection.

sam123
Established Member
To be honest, I will just let the sticker be left on as it causes problems when you try to remove it. I have tried to remove stickers on sealed games carefully. I slowly peeled it off on one of my games and the whole cellophane decided to come down with the sticker. :o I learnt my lesson, never ever going to do it again. Same with hang tabs. Just leave them on.

If you really really want to remove it, goo gone is the best option, you already have it as well. :)

kartmaster
Member Avatar
Coffee Drinker
There's always a risk of damage when removing a sticker from a paper/printed media. I would try some mild heat, like letting it sit in the sun or under a light for a while and see if the glue loosens a bit. But unless it comes willingly, I'd leave it alone and live with it.

GooGone can attack more than just stickers and adhesive, so I'd be really leery about that (ask me how I know!). I definitely don't think I'd try it on an N64 box, but maybe there's a trick to it I don't know...

Good luck whatever you decide to do!
Edited by kartmaster, Jan 9 2014, 09:55 AM.
Posted Image
Join in the N64 Forever MK64 Hotlap Competition!
Posted Image

Mk II
Member Avatar
Elite
Sticker glue is designed to be elastic and sticky at normal room temperature.
You can either use heat like from a hairblower or freeze it very cold (lighter gas) to temporarily make it less elastic.
Both methods are not without danger or pitfalls so you should probably practice by removing stickers from cereal boxes etc.

Posted Image

kartmaster
Member Avatar
Coffee Drinker
Never thought of practicing on cereal boxes and such. Great idea. :yeah:
Posted Image
Join in the N64 Forever MK64 Hotlap Competition!
Posted Image

Strider
Member Avatar
Established Member
Use a hair dryer to heat sticker up to very hot this makes the contact adhesive go sticky and easy to separate the sticker from the box. then use eucalyptus oil to remove the sticker adhesive. dab it on and leave for 10 seconds to soak into the adhesive then simply wipe away using a clean section of paper towel on every wipe as to not risk spreading the adhesive around. caution do not use to much oil or rub too hard as you will start to lift the colors of the box. defiantly practice on old box first.
hope this helps

sinisterSS
Member Avatar
good luck getting the sticker off the card board, if you do get it off you'll still be able to see where it was and that alone will drive you nuts, then you'll continue to do everything you can to remove the left over adhesive thus ruining the box, I ruined a DK64 box doing that.

I would leave it alone, maybe try getting another box of eBay then sell the one you have with the stickers on it and try to get some of your money back if not all of it
N64 collection:

3 N64's CIB: N64 Original release 1996
Atomic Purple Controller N64 bundle 1998 release
Star Wars Racer Bundle N64 set 1999 release

24 N64 games all CIB

Blinkshot
Member Avatar
Established Member
May I ask how much you got it for or is that rude of me? I'm looking to pick up one like that.
My gaming youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/BlinkshotProductions
(Does not deal with collecting)
NTSC Controllers: 13/16

sinisterSS
Member Avatar
Blinkshot
Jan 14 2014, 07:28 AM
May I ask how much you got it for or is that rude of me? I'm looking to pick up one like that.
if you haven't searched, those boxes are all over eBay, just search N64 game box only or "the title of the game your looking for" game box only, should be plenty of them on eBay, also try DK oldies or Trade-N-Games web sites.
N64 collection:

3 N64's CIB: N64 Original release 1996
Atomic Purple Controller N64 bundle 1998 release
Star Wars Racer Bundle N64 set 1999 release

24 N64 games all CIB

action
this is my experience from removing tons of stickers off game boxes, with varying results

some stickers have crazy sticky glue. if you're onto some of those, all hope is lost

70 % of stickers have glue that can be removed with the following technique.

use a q-tip and pure eau-de-cologne (which is 80 % alcohol) and wet the entire surface of the sticker with the soaked q-tip. be sure not to let it spill on the box.

the sticker should now turn transparent. that's when you know you can do the following step:

with the little blade of a victorinox pocket knife (or a similar pocket knife), GENTLY try to loosen the "upper printed layer" of the sticker. work by millimeters, until you end up with the white base of the sticker that is attacked with glue on the box

again, wet the white surface with the soaked q-tip.
with the thick side of the blade, push the edges of the sticker towards it's center. again, work with the millimeters. work SLOWLY, in order to prevent damaging the box!

this technique will ensure a maximum of glue is removed.

if some glue is left, use the flesh of your thumb to wipe the glue towards the edges of the box, then remove it with a cotton cloth.

« Previous Topic · Nintendo 64 Guides, FAQs, and Information · Next Topic »
Add Reply