Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Ocarina of Time; January Game of the Month
Topic Started: Jan 8 2014, 08:59 PM (494 Views)
stinger9142
Member Avatar
Endure and survive...
OoT Won the tie breaker. I will say that it is probably the game I most often judge others by. In my book it is no less than art, and what all games should aspire to acheive. :)
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Flare Dancer
Member Avatar
I prefer Majora's Mask (better visuals, deeper story, faster paced gameplay), but OOT is a classic. The cinematic presentation, the flow of the gameplay, the size, the soundtrack - it's so well honed, that all Zelda games that've come after it have had a very tough time straying from its formula without complaints.

action
at it's time it was a technical and artistical marvel. it had the best graphics on the N64, the longest quest and the deepest gameplay. hours and hours i've poured in this game, trying to find all heart pieces, all skultulla's, the big goron sword, the masks... the anticipation and the fun times i had with this game, the exploration of the world were like in no other game. i genuinly had a blast with this game

but at some point in time, everything was explored. everything was found. what else am i going to do now? what aspects of the game do i want to play again? are there levels i want to get better at? where can i find some challenge?

this was very obvious when this week i've been playing it again from scratch. naturally i know the solution to all the dungeons, so i feel a lot less challenged by them this time around. today, i dont consider this the best game on the N64 by far. i have far more fun with perfect dark / goldeneye, duke nukem zero hour,... maybe it hasnt aged very well. the cinematics take too long for me, and they cant be clicked away, and they aren't very exciting. but the most apparent point is the lack of replay value. while in other games like perfect dark / goldeneye it is always fun to go kill some guards and use different strategies to take them on (bug spy, slow down pill, cloaking device,...) in ocarina of time you approach the enemies in very generic ways. you can use different weapons of course, but the way to approach enemies stays the same. kill an enemy with a bow or a boomerang, it's basically the same mechanic. and it's this aspect that makes the game lose some replay value.

this is a given in all zelda games come to think of it. and in RPG's. once the quest is over, there is not much to it but to play it again.

it's why i like pure action games better. you can always find some room to improve your skills, finish a level with a better time, play on harder difficulties,... i know the levels of goldeneye inside out and they never tire me. the same cant be said about ocarina of time; i see no point in replaying the big fish level for example. it's like a puzzle; when you complete a puzzle the only thing you can do is break it up and start again. but where is the fun in that?

EnvyFox
Member Avatar
Bah! Not the one I voted for, but a terrific game nonetheless. If one of my best friends knew this game got GOTM for December, he'd be a very proud man. :)
Posted Image

buddy1983
Member Avatar
Veteran
Such a good game, defintley a classic and one of the few games I would be happy to buy on multi systems. Having the 3DS version is great because now I have it in my pocket :yeah:

Youtube

Wii U user name: Read1ngFC (thats a one and not a i)

Switch friend code SW-4595-4819-7191

UK resident

Posted Image

I'm currently playiing triangle in a reggae band. I just stand in the back and Ting

Irene(Hydronix)
Member Avatar
Level 30 Necromancer/Master of Quest 64
I definitely prefer MM more, but this game is excellent for getting into the 3D gameplay of Zelda overall.

It does a very good job of focusing on teaching you simple 3D combat, and a bit of aiming. It's easier to work with on the N64, though. The GameCube's control stick is mighty sensitive, so it makes it a bit harder. The actual remake on the 3DS isn't bad either notably. Very easy to play, although the Control Nub(that poor excuse for a control stick) isn't that great.

A very glorious game, I won't lie. The music helps too.
Even bastards need to let off some steam.

And apparently have more egos than Waffles.

stinger9142
Member Avatar
Endure and survive...
action, I understand your point but it was different for me.

OoT was such a large and epic quest, It took a fair amount of time to complete. While I didn't immediately want to pic it back up right after beating it, I found myself coming back for a play through on average about once a year. That gave it enough time to keep the puzzles and such from being so fresh in my mind. Every year near Christmas time I get a longing to play it and Diddy Kong Racing.

A handful of adventure games have given me the sense of discovery and exploration that it did. Namely Assassins Creed games, Elder Scrolls Oblivion, and Shadow of the Colloseous.

Cabanon
Elite
there's very few games that I replay every year or so and OOT is one of them as long as DKC1, DKC2, DKC3, MK64. it always feels "new" because it's been so long between each time but I still remember about everything (pretty much) of it making it not too hard and not too easy to replay.

buddy1983
Member Avatar
Veteran
Well said Stinger, I feel the same way.
Youtube

Wii U user name: Read1ngFC (thats a one and not a i)

Switch friend code SW-4595-4819-7191

UK resident

Posted Image

I'm currently playiing triangle in a reggae band. I just stand in the back and Ting

stinger9142
Member Avatar
Endure and survive...
Thanks. Oddly enough I NEVER played Majoras Mask, despite my love for OoT (What is wrong with me?). I do plan to get it one day, and give it a go. I feel incomplete without having done so :lol:

sinisterSS
Member Avatar
great game, I remember beating it back in 1999, it took me a very long time as I didn't play it straight through, I played for about 1-2hrs each day(I think gamepro magazine said it takes 70+ hrs to beat?). I just started playing it again for the first time last night since I beat it 14-15yrs ago. As for the Legend of Zelda MM I bought it when it came out and got so frustrated with it that I just stopped playing it and moved on, However I did buy it again when I repurchased all my N64 stuff and I hope to get through it this time
N64 collection:

3 N64's CIB: N64 Original release 1996
Atomic Purple Controller N64 bundle 1998 release
Star Wars Racer Bundle N64 set 1999 release

24 N64 games all CIB

« Previous Topic · GoTM Archive (Gen I) · Next Topic »
Add Reply