Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Best way to enjoy the N64 on HDTV
Topic Started: Jan 16 2014, 12:29 PM (62,407 Views)
Kobeskillz
Established Member
Hi Guys,

My 1st time posting here! Just found this amazing site yesterday.

I have an HDTV and wanted to know what gives me the best picture quality when I plug in my N64.

It know composite will look like crap.

Suggestions?
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
Here in the U.S. all the cool kids use S-Video. :)
"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." - Arthur Schopenhauer

Posted Image

Kobeskillz
Established Member
Here in the U.S. all the cool kids use S-Video. :)

My HDTV doesn't have S video.

Only HDMI, Composite, Component, and the VGA.

madafsta123
My hdtv doesn't have an s video port either it's only a 24 inch so the games are playable but there Is a bit of quality sacrifice. Using the expansion pack helps as it boots the resolution of the console

plushpile
Member Avatar
Established Member
madafsta123
Jan 16 2014, 11:42 PM
Using the expansion pack helps as it boots the resolution of the console
Only on some games

Blinkshot
Member Avatar
Established Member
I'd actually really enjoy others opinions on this matter as I don't get crisp images now that I upgraded to my new TV.
My gaming youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/BlinkshotProductions
(Does not deal with collecting)
NTSC Controllers: 13/16

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
The biggest obstacle facing the N64 hardware going forward is the fact that standard definition televisions are now defunct. People can continue to enjoy the software via emulation but the days of playing N64 games on an actual Nintendo 64 may very well be drawing to a close.
"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." - Arthur Schopenhauer

Posted Image

mjwatts26
Member Avatar
Grizzmeister
Jan 17 2014, 12:25 PM
The biggest obstacle facing the N64 hardware going forward is the fact that standard definition televisions are now defunct. People can continue to enjoy the software via emulation but the days of playing N64 games on an actual Nintendo 64 may very well be drawing to a close.
Now is as good of time as any to find a CRT TV for dirt cheap or even for free. Emulation is great but I still prefer to play on an actual N64.

bluedogrulez
Member Avatar
Racing for Fulcon Capital
Blinkshot
Jan 17 2014, 07:28 AM
I'd actually really enjoy others opinions on this matter as I don't get crisp images now that I upgraded to my new TV.
I have heard and mentioned (but never myself tested) that a DVD player can be used to upscale the imagine of a N64 on an HDTV.

Some older DVD players have AV and/or S-Video inputs and HDMI outputs. They were also designed to "upscale" regular DVDs to display better on HDTVs. This is the type of DVD player I am referring to.

I think I actually have one of these that does not play DVDs anymore, so I should try it out and see if it upscales (and therefore warrants the space it takes up in my home).

On a related note, I just got a cool new wifi blue-ray player and guess what? Ports are strictly HDMI.
Switch Friend Code: SW-0786-9287-1202 (bluedogBDR)
MK8Deluxe Tourney: N64Forever.com 2332-7277-8283
Nintendo Network ID: BDR2010 / Twitter: @bluedogrulez
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

floorcat
Member Avatar
Nintendo sixty-floorcat :P
I think your best bet would be to just find an old, nice CRT. One of my friends (whose opinion I regard very, very highly - especially when it comes to tech stuff like this) spent literally dozens of hours (and who knows how much money) trying to find the perfect solution, and in the end, conceded that a nice CRT is really the absolute best in terms of picture quality and minimal input lag.

I have my N64 & SNES hooked up to my HDTV with S-video (to an S-video to HDMI upscaler). The image quality is okay... not the best, but def. very playable, so I can't complain.
Now Playing: Clash Royale (mobile), Gravity Rush 2, Rayman Legends, Project CARS, Uncharted 4 Survival Mode ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ

Blinkshot
Member Avatar
Established Member
So much disappointment. We should invent some way of upscaling the resolution, etc. I heard using a SCART coord with something else is the best solution and I've seen videos and it seems very plausible but for all the components its like $75. I forget the other thing you need. SCART is also apparently not in the US and I think only European.
My gaming youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/BlinkshotProductions
(Does not deal with collecting)
NTSC Controllers: 13/16

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
The only downsides to CRT's is that they're usually pretty heavy and they use more energy than LCD's.

Every so often I stumble across someone who has a HDTV that does a good job with the N64's low-res image but when I ask for the make and model number I rarely get a reply.

Posted Image

MrKoippa
Member Avatar
Retired gamer
[edit
Edited by MrKoippa, Feb 6 2016, 06:26 AM.

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
I've always thought that we should petition one of the large television manufacturers to produce an HDTV with a built-in upscaler for legacy consoles like the N64. What do you guys think?

Posted Image

sinisterSS
Member Avatar
when I tried to hook my N64 up to my 46" LED LCD TV it didn't work, then I tried my 24" Sony Playstation 3D Display(it does 2D also) again it wouldn't work, I then tried my wife's 42" LCD TV and it works, since it worked on her LCD TV I thought I would try my 26 LCD TV and it works. So I'm pretty sure all LCD TV's should work, its the newer LED LCD TV's that wont support the N64
N64 collection:

3 N64's CIB: N64 Original release 1996
Atomic Purple Controller N64 bundle 1998 release
Star Wars Racer Bundle N64 set 1999 release

24 N64 games all CIB

floorcat
Member Avatar
sinisterSS
Jan 17 2014, 08:10 PM
I tried my 24" Sony Playstation 3D Display(it does 2D also) again it wouldn't work
Sinister, what did you use to connect the N64 to the PS 3D display? It only has component and HDMI inputs, and happens to be the TV I've got my N64 & SNES hooked up to (and both work fine, though missing those forlorn CRT scanlines).
Now Playing: Clash Royale (mobile), Gravity Rush 2, Rayman Legends, Project CARS, Uncharted 4 Survival Mode ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ

retrozombieslayer
Member Avatar
Holy Nintendo, Batman!
This product might help-- a few of the reviews even mention using it to hook up older consoles like the N64.
Collection: NES, SNES, N64, GameCube, Wii, PS1, PS2, Dreamcast, Atari 2600, Xbox 360, Game Boy, Game Boy Advance SP, DS Lite, DSi, PSP-1000

My (horrifically outdated) Horror Blog:
http://horrorshowspooktacular.blogspot.com/

YogurtStorm
Member Avatar
Your mom is a nice lady
Grizzmeister
Jan 17 2014, 07:30 PM
I've always thought that we should petition one of the large television manufacturers to produce an HDTV with a built-in upscaler for legacy consoles like the N64. What do you guys think?
I think it's more likely that a couple of guys are gonna come together, invent and patent such a product and sell it on an order-by-order basis to the collector market.

Then again, if the big corps see a potential profit to turn from it, they may give it a go.
My Youtube Channel: All game. No bla-bla. PS4 ShareFactory gameplay
Posted Image Home of Conker's Corner

mjwatts26
Member Avatar
I've never actually tried hooking up my N64 to my pioneer plasma. It supports s-video so it might be worth a shot. Anyone had any luck with plasmas?

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
mjwatts26
Jan 17 2014, 09:42 PM
I've never actually tried hooking up my N64 to my pioneer plasma. It supports s-video so it might be worth a shot. Anyone had any luck with plasmas?
Yes, my mother-in-law has a 50 inch Samsung plasma and the N64 looked much better on it than it does on my 40 inch Sharp Aquos.

I own a 32 inch Panasonic Viera LCD and the N64 looks pretty good on it when I use S-Video. I have to do some fiddling with the settings to get a respectable picture but it's not a bad alternative to a CRT TV.

Posted Image

sinisterSS
Member Avatar
floorcat
Jan 17 2014, 09:26 PM
sinisterSS
Jan 17 2014, 08:10 PM
I tried my 24" Sony Playstation 3D Display(it does 2D also) again it wouldn't work
Sinister, what did you use to connect the N64 to the PS 3D display? It only has component and HDMI inputs, and happens to be the TV I've got my N64 & SNES hooked up to (and both work fine, though missing those forlorn CRT scanlines).
I used the audio/video cable that comes with the N64, is there another way I'm over looking?
N64 collection:

3 N64's CIB: N64 Original release 1996
Atomic Purple Controller N64 bundle 1998 release
Star Wars Racer Bundle N64 set 1999 release

24 N64 games all CIB

floorcat
Member Avatar
Errrm... N64 only came with composite cables, which aren't the same as component cables. The PS 3D Display has component inputs (five RCA inputs: red/green/blue video, and red/white for audio). The N64 composite cables will have only 3 RCA connectors (yellow video and red/white audio). Only the 2 audio connectors may be compatible... the video is definitely not compatible, which is likely why you're not able to get it to work on your TV. You would need some sort of composite/s-video to component/HDMI adapter to get it to work.

This is how mine is set up, but again, the picture quality isn't as good as a regular old CRT.

Cabanon
Elite
Blinkshot
Jan 17 2014, 02:59 PM
We should invent some way of upscaling the resolution, etc.
marshall on assemblergames is working on this alto it's VGA, not hdmi. http://forums.benheck.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=43034
OzOne on assemblergames seems to be in the good way via HDMI http://www.assemblergames.com/forums/showthread.php?42764-Direct-HDMI-output-for-N64-%28and-other-consoles%29

now, there is 2 solutions

1. get a CRT
2. buy am amplifier. there's 2 types, one that upscale and one that doesnt. mine dont upscale (Yamaha RX-V463, you need a RX-V663 and up to have the upscaler option, there's also a lag adjuster included) and it's pretty good but it might just be my TV (Panasonic TC-P50S2). that said, it requires alot more money but on the good side, you can now enjoy surround sound of your favorite console :)

Edited by Cabanon, Jan 18 2014, 10:59 AM.

Matt
Member Avatar
Kick, Punch, It's all in the mind
Get a CRT (cheapest, and best for Retro Gaming is the Sony Triniton IMO), if you must have a HD TV use a FRAMEMEISTER or something, although they can be expensive and require importing
Posted Image

danikei
Member Avatar
I use this cheap solution when I need to connect the n64 to an hdmi
Posted Image
It costs around 40$

The best option would be definitely getting a broadcast crt monitor (sony pvm), then a sony trinitron & then a bang & olufsen mx4000 or mx6000. I'd go for the b&o before the trinitron only because it has a nicer design & doesn't look that dated nowadays.
I'm still looking for a cheap pvm, though, & thinking in getting a b&o. Crts look so much better than upscaling to hd.

If anyone is interested in pics of the converter to hdmi "in use" just ask!

Matt
Member Avatar
Kick, Punch, It's all in the mind
danikei
Jan 18 2014, 02:21 PM
I use this cheap solution when I need to connect the n64 to an hdmi
Posted Image
It costs around 40$

The best option would be definitely getting a broadcast crt monitor (sony pvm), then a sony trinitron & then a bang & olufsen mx4000 or mx6000. I'd go for the b&o before the trinitron only because it has a nicer design & doesn't look that dated nowadays.
I'm still looking for a cheap pvm, though, & thinking in getting a b&o. Crts look so much better than upscaling to hd.

If anyone is interested in pics of the converter to hdmi "in use" just ask!
Does the converter up-scale?

Yeah, PVM is better than a trinitron, but I always just recommend a Trinitron just because they're alot easier to get ahold of (Not sure if America has something similar, but if they do check your local charity shops etc), you can get one for around 5 or so, where a PVM runs about 70 for the least, and if you want a perfect one at least 200 or so
Posted Image

mjwatts26
Member Avatar
I think this is basically the same thing as what danikei posted (someone correct me if I'm wrong), except it also supports s-video. I'm considering giving it a try if my plasma does a poor job with the n64's s-video signal.

http://www.monoprice.com/Product/?c_id=101&cp_id=10114&cs_id=1011406&p_id=9994&seq=1&format=2#description
Edited by mjwatts26, Jan 18 2014, 10:56 PM.

danny_galaga
Member Avatar
YogurtStorm
Jan 17 2014, 09:42 PM
Grizzmeister
Jan 17 2014, 07:30 PM
I think it's more likely that a couple of guys are gonna come together, invent and patent such a product and sell it on an order-by-order basis to the collector market.

Then again, if the big corps see a potential profit to turn from it, they may give it a go.

I very much doubt this is something the TV manufacturers would care about. They only need to sell products going forward...

danikei
Member Avatar
Matt

Does the converter up-scale?

Yeah, it does let you change between a few resolutions, although for me the "best" - not really that good- way is to upscale it to something like 1024x768 and let the tv/monitor do the rest. N64's native 320x240/640x480? doesn't do that well.

YogurtStorm

You could always buy a XRGB Mini - Framemeister , it does a good job (much better than my converter) and many people in retrogaming are getting them. Its a bit expensive though (200-300$ with shipping/customs)

Coligion
Member Avatar
danikei
Jan 19 2014, 06:17 AM
You could always buy a XRGB Mini - Framemeister , it does a good job (much better than my converter) and many people in retrogaming are getting them. Its a bit expensive though (200-300$ with shipping/customs)
Yeah, picking up a Framemeister, or some other video processor that scales s-video/RGB well, would be the best way to get it to look good. Does anyone here own a Framemeister that uses the N64 on it? You don't see a lot of people using these things for the N64. Would be nice to hear some thoughts.

Anyway, it's a shame TV's have now dropped the s-video input. I used to own a Samsung plasma that had an s-video port. The N64 looked decent enough on it. Sadly, my newer Panasonic plasma does not have s-video, so composite is my only choice with the N64. Thankfully, the Panny accepts 240p over component very well, so I can use scart converters for other systems. With the N64, I just choose to play it on a 27" Sony CRT 8)

Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Hooking up the N64 to modern TVs · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: